New Zealand Election 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:06:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  New Zealand Election 2017
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 20
Author Topic: New Zealand Election 2017  (Read 48202 times)
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: September 20, 2017, 09:56:31 AM »

I don't think that really works as a comparison - the SPD polls now are basically the same as they were right before Schultz took over as Chancellor candidate while Ahern has clearly boosted the Labour numbers by at least 10 points from what it was under Little.  I mean before she became leader it looked like this would be an incredibly boring election with the question being whether the Nationals could get a majority this time; with no real prospect of Labour winning; while now even with these polls you have an opportunity that Labour could put something together; may it be something that needs New Zealand First or not.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #251 on: September 20, 2017, 05:13:18 PM »

I still don't see how the nationals have shot up when nothing major has happened that would suggest something like this.

It has been 7 weeks since Ardern became leader, maybe the new leader poll bounce is wearing off.
Maybe, but if that was happening, your party wouldn't lose 6 points in one polling period, it would be sliding off a little bit slower, don't you think?
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #252 on: September 20, 2017, 05:22:44 PM »

I still don't see how the nationals have shot up when nothing major has happened that would suggest something like this.

It has been 7 weeks since Ardern became leader, maybe the new leader poll bounce is wearing off.
Maybe, but if that was happening, your party wouldn't lose 6 points in one polling period, it would be sliding off a little bit slower, don't you think?

If the poll is correct which is a big if, Labour probably didn't actually lose anything, rather the undecided voters from previous polls broke heavily in favour of National.  Lets remember most polls exclude those who are undecided so if that number goes down and they break heavily in favour of one party, things like that can happen.  I guess we will have to see what the remaining polls say and the results.  At this point I think there is a strong probability that National will come in first in votes but unless they win a majority or get close enough they can rely on ACT we probably won't know until October 12th who forms government or not.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #253 on: September 20, 2017, 10:21:54 PM »

Newshub Poll coming out at 6 PM Auckland time.  My guess is National will be in the lead but will it be a big lead or a small one.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #254 on: September 20, 2017, 10:58:35 PM »

Newshub Poll coming out at 6 PM Auckland time.  My guess is National will be in the lead but will it be a big lead or a small one.

So, 11 PM for us again. I'm guessing like a 5% lead for National. Greens+Labour will be ahead of National though.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #255 on: September 21, 2017, 01:06:16 AM »

NEWSHUB POLL:
NAT 45.8
LAB 37.3
NZF 7.1
GRN 7.1
SEAT PROJECTION:
NAT 56
LAB 45
NZF 9
GRN 9
MA 2
ACT 1
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #256 on: September 21, 2017, 01:08:17 AM »

Based on the two final polls being similar enough, I will make the following two predictions.

1.  National wins the popular vote
2.  New Zealand First is the kingmaker so we won't know whether Bill English will continue as PM or Jacinda Ardern becomes PM until October 12th.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #257 on: September 21, 2017, 04:53:03 AM »

The final poll of the election. After this chaotic and unpredictable campaign, it has perhaps the most predictable outcome-National in the lead but Winston Peters decides.

The Stuff Poll of Polls for the entirety of its existence, from mid-2008 to present. Notice the recent Labour surge.

I graphed the Colmar Brunton and Newshub/Reid Research polling for this election, and added trendlines for the National Party lead. The straight line is the 5% threshold.

IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #258 on: September 21, 2017, 05:55:22 AM »

Your links are broken, pal - might help to upload them somewhere where people don't need to login somewhere else to see them.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #259 on: September 21, 2017, 06:27:06 AM »

I don't think that really works as a comparison - the SPD polls now are basically the same as they were right before Schultz took over as Chancellor candidate while Ahern has clearly boosted the Labour numbers by at least 10 points from what it was under Little. 

Fair point - forgot just how sh*te Labour were doing pre-Ahern.
Polkergeist

« Reply #260 on: September 21, 2017, 06:53:24 AM »

The previous poll could have been a labour friendly sample and the current poll a National friendly sample the underlying shift could be less than 6 points.

But even with the similar NewsHub poll tonight I would not rule out a Labour vote in the 40s. The polls have been bouncing around and we don't have too many data points
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #261 on: September 21, 2017, 09:55:37 AM »

NEWSHUB POLL:
NAT 45.8
LAB 37.3
NZF 7.1
GRN 7.1
SEAT PROJECTION:
NAT 56
LAB 45
NZF 9
GRN 9
MA 2
ACT 1

Changes from the previous Newshub poll:
Nat -1.5%
Lab -0.5%
NZF +1.1%
Green +2.2%

parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #262 on: September 21, 2017, 11:58:57 AM »

Any chance the polls are doing what they did in the UK, and adjusting their weightings to the point of being irrelevant?

Seems to be the pattern when their is a sudden change followed by wild fluctuations
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #263 on: September 21, 2017, 04:26:31 PM »

Any chance the polls are doing what they did in the UK, and adjusting their weightings to the point of being irrelevant?

Seems to be the pattern when their is a sudden change followed by wild fluctuations

I'm pretty sure I heard that Colmar Brunton changed their weighting with their last poll.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #264 on: September 21, 2017, 04:31:05 PM »

This is pretty obviously what is going on (it's done for obvious commercial reasons o/c). They may even be right to (and such was the suddenness of the shift in this case from landslide re-election to potential defeat that maybe this call is sounder than always), but...
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #265 on: September 21, 2017, 06:43:35 PM »

This could very well be possible. We'll all see if this is happening when the results come in.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #266 on: September 21, 2017, 10:49:12 PM »

Prediction:

National 42% 52 seats
Labour 39% 49 seats
Greens 7% 9 seats
NZ First 5.8% 7 seats
Māori 1.9% 2 seats (2 electorates)
TOP 1.8% 0 seats
ACT 0.7% 1 seat
Mana 0.3% 0 seats
Random BS (includes UF) 1.5% 0 seats
120 seats
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #267 on: September 21, 2017, 11:29:05 PM »

My prediction is as follows, don't know the seats so someone else might be able to give what they would be, but below is the percentages I predict

National Party 45%
Labour Party 38%
Green Party 6%
New Zealand First 6%

While cannot speak on the rest, but I am guessing 2 Maori seats and one ACT.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #268 on: September 22, 2017, 07:05:57 AM »
« Edited: September 22, 2017, 07:09:42 AM by Lincoln Speaker Lok »

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/election-2017/news/article.cfm?c_id=1504338&objectid=11925334

Everyone they asked were national-leaning, especially Hosking, who is known to be massively bias in favour of them, even while on air, and has been highly criticized over the issue. But hey, right-leaning Herald is gonna ask right-leaning people.
Polkergeist

« Reply #269 on: September 22, 2017, 07:59:54 AM »

The result of the advance votes at the 2014 election had very little difference to the overall result.

With a much larger advance vote this time we should see these small differences disappear....

Or should we? 

This time around we are seeing a much more energised left-of-centre voters.

Is it possible that the advance votes could lean to the left by a few points this time compared to the overall result?
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #270 on: September 22, 2017, 08:27:11 AM »

The result of the advance votes at the 2014 election had very little difference to the overall result.

With a much larger advance vote this time we should see these small differences disappear....

Or should we? 

Is it possible that the advance votes could lean to the left by a few points this time compared to the overall result?
This could happen, and it's one of the reasons why I won't be relying too much on the final election day vote total, especially seeing how close it could be.
Polkergeist

« Reply #271 on: September 22, 2017, 08:33:59 AM »

Or should we? 

This could happen, and it's one of the reasons why I won't be relying too much on the final election day vote total, especially seeing how close it could be.

Yes, the special/overseas votes can always shift one seat from right to left. Have they ever moved more than 1?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #272 on: September 22, 2017, 11:23:25 AM »

My NZ prediction:

40.3% National Party (51 seats)
39.1% Labour Party (48 seats)
  8.1% Greens (10 seats)
  7.7% NZ First (9 seats)
  4.8% Others (2 seats)

Turnout: 77.2%
Double Carpet
Rookie
« Reply #273 on: September 22, 2017, 02:01:58 PM »

Does anyone have a live TV stream for NZ that works?

Thanks!
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #274 on: September 22, 2017, 02:25:05 PM »

I think part of Labour's "collapse" is people who were saying they were voting to Labour are now convinced that they'll be close enough that they just need the Greens and/or Maori to form a government, and are now backing one of those two parties.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies