Would Kanye West have a greater effect on 2020 if he runs as Dem or independent?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:54:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Would Kanye West have a greater effect on 2020 if he runs as Dem or independent?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Would Kanye West have a greater effect on the 2020 election if he runs as a Democrat or independent?
Democratic nominee

Independent candidate

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Would Kanye West have a greater effect on 2020 if he runs as Dem or independent?  (Read 5150 times)
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2016, 10:09:44 PM »

Since Kanye West says he'll run for president in 2020, do you think that Kanye West would cause a crazier election result if he is the Democratic nominee or if he ends up running as an independent (either from the start or after losing the nomination).

I would say Kanye would cause a greater change if he is the Democratic nominee, as it would mean he is the nominee of a major political party, whereas if he is an independent he will mostly get voted for as either a protest or joke vote.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 10:11:56 PM »

Kanye West is a jackass.

That is all.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 01:03:46 AM »

Yes. Yes he is. http://youtu.be/078BGtKNL1o
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 02:59:36 PM »

That didn't stop Donald Trump. Besides, at least Kanye hasn't committed sexual assault(as far as we know). Regardless, neither Kanye or Trump should be President.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 03:11:37 PM »

Easily independent. If he runs as a Democrat, he'll get a few percent and be out of the picture by mid spring. If he runs as an independent and takes even a few percent of the black/millennial/apathetic vote in the general, it'll basically doom any Democrat.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 03:19:19 PM »

If he runs as a Democrat, he'll get a few percent and be out of the picture by mid spring.

Remember that's what they said about Trump...
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 04:38:22 PM »

I halfway expect Kanye to run as a Republican.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 07:21:50 PM »

That didn't stop Donald Trump. Besides, at least Kanye hasn't committed sexual assault(as far as we know). Regardless, neither Kanye or Trump should be President.

Sexual assault?  Like Bill Clinton?  JINKIES!

Donald Trump ran a massive international business.  Kanye West can't run himself.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 07:24:58 PM »

He should run as a green party candidate, would almost certainly get the nomination
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 12:18:40 AM »

He should run as a green party candidate, would almost certainly get the nomination

You know the base of the Green party is left-leaning conspiracy types. They probably wouldn't like Kanye's massive wealth being a nod to Wall Street and all.

He'll do well in the Dem primary. Sadly he'll probably get the nomination.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 01:05:54 AM »

You know the base of the Green party is left-leaning conspiracy types. They probably wouldn't like Kanye's massive wealth being a nod to Wall Street and all.

But who actually likes Kanye? Unlike Trump, whose message actually resonated with a good section of the electorate and who appealed to people's base emotions, what could Kanye possibly have to offer? Could he even build enough of a team to get on ballots? Trump was at least a businessman who understands the basic motions of running for President. Does Kanye?
JJC

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 01:22:53 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2016, 01:25:59 AM by JJC »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This reminded of a quote from Peggy Noonan in Oct 2015;
You must be logged in to read this quote.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 03:18:27 AM »

Stop trying to make Kanye West happen, it's not happening. Even putting aside his complete lack of experience, common sense and intelligence, he recently praised Trump at one of his concerts and said he would have voted for him. That would sink his chances instantly.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 07:47:50 AM »

After what he did to Taylor Swift, I don't even listen to his music anymore.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 08:04:59 AM »

Stop trying to make Kanye West happen, it's not happening. Even putting aside his complete lack of experience, common sense and intelligence, he recently praised Trump at one of his concerts and said he would have voted for him. That would sink his chances instantly.
*cough* Donald Trump *cough*
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 11:21:17 AM »

I think most liberals are misunderstanding the reason for the rise of Trump and his success. Trump, say what you will about him, at least had a consistent message that resonated with the electorate: "The system is rigged, the elites are not on your side, but I am and I alone can fix it." What's Kanye's message going to be?
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 03:10:04 PM »

I think most liberals are misunderstanding the reason for the rise of Trump and his success. Trump, say what you will about him, at least had a consistent message that resonated with the electorate: "The system is rigged, the elites are not on your side, but I am and I alone can fix it." What's Kanye's message going to be?

I can see it now...

Moderator: Mr. West, how do you respond to those who say you have none of the necessary experience to be president and have vague and unrealistic campaign promises?

Kanye: I will try to answer it again for you, as clearly as I can, because the question you're asking is, "What kind of qualifications does Kanye West have to be president," "What kind of qualifications do I have," and "What would I do in this kind of a situation?" And what would I do in this situation? [...] I have as much experience in politics as Donald Trump did when he sought the presidency. I will be prepared to deal with the responsibilities of being president and the people in the my administration, if I am elected.

Moderator: President Trump?

Trump: Kanye, I know Donald Trump. I am Donald Trump. Donald Trump's a yuge friend of mine - big league good guy, great president. Kanye, you're no Donald Trump.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 10:14:27 PM »

I can see it now...

Moderator: Mr. West, how do you respond to those who say you have none of the necessary experience to be president and have vague and unrealistic campaign promises?

Kanye: I will try to answer it again for you, as clearly as I can, because the question you're asking is, "What kind of qualifications does Kanye West have to be president," "What kind of qualifications do I have," and "What would I do in this kind of a situation?" And what would I do in this situation? [...] I have as much experience in politics as Donald Trump did when he sought the presidency. I will be prepared to deal with the responsibilities of being president and the people in the my administration, if I am elected.

Moderator: President Trump?

Trump: Kanye, I know Donald Trump. I am Donald Trump. Donald Trump's a yuge friend of mine - big league good guy, great president. Kanye, you're no Donald Trump.

That's when I'll pack my bags and move to Canada or the UK.
KoiBean
Wintev512
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 02:38:07 PM »

Kanye would for sure have to at least give it a good go in the Dem's primaries to get some traction. It would really have to depend a lot on what the first term of Trump looks like, but Kanye might have a slight chance at being a decent political opponent. Right now it looks like a lot of Dems might try to shy away from identity politics to appease some more socially conservative white voters. Kanye could tap into a bloc of nonwhites in the Democratic primaries that feel angry and left out because many old white politicians have abandoned them. With a mix of the name recognition, populist appeal, and a strong charismatic persona, this is the celebrity Democratic Anti-Trump that could be a thing.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 04:50:13 PM »

Since Kanye West says he'll run for president in 2020, do you think that Kanye West would cause a crazier election result if he is the Democratic nominee or if he ends up running as an independent (either from the start or after losing the nomination).

I would say Kanye would cause a greater change if he is the Democratic nominee, as it would mean he is the nominee of a major political party, whereas if he is an independent he will mostly get voted for as either a protest or joke vote.

Why would he run as a Democrat when he's a Trump supporter?
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 10:46:37 PM »

Since the possibilities of him running as a Republican, Democrat, and Green have already been raised, I figure I might as well make the obligatory claim:

Kanye West will be running for president as a Libertarian.
KoiBean
Wintev512
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 01:10:01 AM »

Why would he run as a Democrat when he's a Trump supporter?

Trump supported many democrats and even gave $100,000 to the Clinton Foundation. It isn't impossible for Kanye to spin it, especially if Trump continues to displease non-whites.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 01:47:35 AM »

Kanye West is not happening. The Dem base is not as crazy as the GOP base. Two different worlds. Our fringe is the far left Bernie-Bros and they are not voting for Kanye. Kanye's base would be the people who only vote to protest the "system" and there aren't anywhere near enough of those voters in the party that usually nominate liberal technocrats (Hillary, Kerry, Gore) without too much fuss.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2016, 05:29:19 AM »

Why would a guy who said he didn't vote and would've voted Trump if he did win the nomination?

You can't just say "muh black vote". I don't remember Al Sharpton coming close to winning the 2004 nomination.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2016, 12:29:21 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2016, 05:55:34 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

Allow me to be brutally honest here for a moment. Kanye is not going to win the Black vote in the Democratic Primary:

1) Black millennials, the segment of the African-American Community most likely to know who West is and care what he has to say, have absolutely terrible turnout.
2) Older Black voters, particularly older Black women, are the ones who actually vote in Democratic primaries
3) The fact that Kanye is married to a White Woman and lives with a rich White Family in LA is not going to be viewed positively by much of the Black Community, especially the older women who are most likely to actually vote.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies