During the course of this election, how have your political views changed?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:19:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  During the course of this election, how have your political views changed?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: During the course of this election, how have your political views changed?
They have become more conservative

They have stayed the same

They have become more liberal

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: During the course of this election, how have your political views changed?  (Read 6353 times)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2016, 07:41:53 AM »

They have become more liberal on social issues and more conservative on fiscal issues.  I used to be more for a populist message on the economy... lift everyone up type of thing.  Now as a natural reaction to the ilk that Trump has brought out I have a much more hard line stance on fiscal issues.  Cut taxes, cut social programs, support as much free trade as possible, stop sending money directly from the two coasts to support social programs in the Midwest and South (we pay way more in taxes than we get back).  Basically, I want a sink or swim economy.  But I want it to be "fair" on social policies, which means there shouldn't be racial discrimination, gays should have equal treatment, and we shouldn't waste a ton of money on dumb wars.  So on balance, I still support democrats.

So you've become someone that shouldn't be a democrat, because you support neo-liberalism, and support fycking the poor. Hopefully your like go into the trash bin of history in the democratic party.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2016, 08:31:49 AM »

I don't think my policy views (like those matter anymore) have changed much, but party ID has changed from disaffected Republican to confirmed locked-in straight-ticket lifelong Democrat.

Just saving this. "Lifelong" is a very dangerous word to use.

To amend this slightly:

(1) In the event that the Republican Party is not one of the two major parties in the jurisdiction in question, I may consider voting for the non-Democratic party.

(2) In the event that the Republican Party repudiates Trump completely in his first term and doesn't renominate him, I'll consider voting for them again as soon as 2034.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 10:29:29 AM »

Slightly to the right (still stronly socially liberal and slightly to the right of the center economically), but that's more me establishing my economic views, being just 18 years old.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 11:46:50 AM »

I've moved to the left, but I don't see an option for me in the poll.

Same.

Also, this:

They have become more liberal on social issues and more conservative on fiscal issues.  I used to be more for a populist message on the economy... lift everyone up type of thing.  Now as a natural reaction to the ilk that Trump has brought out I have a much more hard line stance on fiscal issues. Cut taxes, cut social programs, support as much free trade as possible, stop sending money directly from the two coasts to support social programs in the Midwest and South (we pay way more in taxes than we get back).  Basically, I want a sink or swim economy. But I want it to be "fair" on social policies, which means there shouldn't be racial discrimination, gays should have equal treatment, and we shouldn't waste a ton of money on dumb wars.  So on balance, I still support democrats.

Is the embodiment of everything that is wrong with the Democratic Party of the 2010s.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 12:00:11 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2016, 12:02:44 PM by Averroës »

I voted more "conservative," but I mean that in terms of skepticism of, and perhaps at this point outright opposition to liberal capitalism, insofar as that means anything. In some ways this is the diametric opposite of Hagrid's answer, although I don't want anyone to think that I have any sympathy with the cruder, highly prejudiced critiques of "cosmopolitanism" or "identity politics" that have been floating around for years but that have been especially discussed since this election.

Oh, and more Democratic, less Republican - there is not a Republican in the entire country for whom I would vote at this point, and the less said about our ridiculous “third parties,” the better – although I dislike all of our parties more than I did one year ago.

Of course it goes without saying that I am more opposed to the Republican Party, the so-called conservative movement, Paul Ryan, and Donald Trump than ever before. How ironic that we are supposed to believe that we need to "build a wall" to protect ourselves when the real barbarians are already inside our gates and will shortly assume control of our entire federal government.
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2016, 01:33:01 PM »

I moved to the left but in a form of becoming more moderate rather than becoming more liberal where economically I went from near minarchist to a more ordinary fiscally conservative republican.
JGibson
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2016, 05:07:58 PM »

Almost the same, pulled leftward.

now v. 2012: More liberal.
now v. 2008: Much more liberal.

Socially: Very liberal.
Economically: Left-populist.
Foreign Policy/Defense: not in my top 10 priorities, but pacifist-leaning.
National Security: civil libertarian-leaning.
Immigration: pro-immigration/refugees.
Religious Liberty: pro-religious freedom for all beliefs or those with no belief at all.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2016, 05:32:02 PM »

I am hoping Non Swing Voter's post here is more of a direct response to Trumpism than a representation of his actual beliefs. Even I believe the government should help the working class and the poor and struggling.

That being said, I see the appeal of cutting off all of the support that flows from the coasts to the heartland, if only to show these folks how much they rely on the elites that they decry so much. If some temporary tough love is what it takes to show them that they should be voting for Democrats, well... so be it.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2016, 05:48:58 PM »

I am hoping Non Swing Voter's post here is more of a direct response to Trumpism than a representation of his actual beliefs. Even I believe the government should help the working class and the poor and struggling.

That being said, I see the appeal of cutting off all of the support that flows from the coasts to the heartland, if only to show these folks how much they rely on the elites that they decry so much. If some temporary tough love is what it takes to show them that they should be voting for Democrats, well... so be it.

Except that the people who get money from federal programs aren't the ones generally voting GOP. So you might get the attention of the non voters and democrats of the red states.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2016, 05:53:48 PM »

Except that the people who get money from federal programs aren't the ones generally voting GOP. So you might get the attention of the non voters and democrats of the red states.

I know this is just a small example, but you really think Hillary Clinton won the Medicare demo...? A lot of Republican voters rely on social programs and still vote against their interests.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2016, 07:05:12 PM »

Trump voters are far more successful and make much more money than Hillary voters. This experiment would be funny.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2016, 07:21:06 PM »

They have become more liberal on social issues and more conservative on fiscal issues.  I used to be more for a populist message on the economy... lift everyone up type of thing.  Now as a natural reaction to the ilk that Trump has brought out I have a much more hard line stance on fiscal issues.  Cut taxes, cut social programs, support as much free trade as possible, stop sending money directly from the two coasts to support social programs in the Midwest and South (we pay way more in taxes than we get back). Basically, I want a sink or swim economy.  But I want it to be "fair" on social policies, which means there shouldn't be racial discrimination, gays should have equal treatment, and we shouldn't waste a ton of money on dumb wars.  So on balance, I still support democrats.

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

you, buddy.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2016, 07:45:21 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2018, 06:10:16 PM by Keep My Smile »

They have become more liberal on social issues and more conservative on fiscal issues.  I used to be more for a populist message on the economy... lift everyone up type of thing.  Now as a natural reaction to the ilk that Trump has brought out I have a much more hard line stance on fiscal issues.  Cut taxes, cut social programs, support as much free trade as possible, stop sending money directly from the two coasts to support social programs in the Midwest and South (we pay way more in taxes than we get back). Basically, I want a sink or swim economy.  But I want it to be "fair" on social policies, which means there shouldn't be racial discrimination, gays should have equal treatment, and we shouldn't waste a ton of money on dumb wars.  So on balance, I still support democrats.

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

This post is cringy and dumb.

you, buddy.

Those two words are not as clever as you think.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2016, 07:50:28 PM »

They have become more liberal on social issues and more conservative on fiscal issues.  I used to be more for a populist message on the economy... lift everyone up type of thing.  Now as a natural reaction to the ilk that Trump has brought out I have a much more hard line stance on fiscal issues.  Cut taxes, cut social programs, support as much free trade as possible, stop sending money directly from the two coasts to support social programs in the Midwest and South (we pay way more in taxes than we get back). Basically, I want a sink or swim economy.  But I want it to be "fair" on social policies, which means there shouldn't be racial discrimination, gays should have equal treatment, and we shouldn't waste a ton of money on dumb wars.  So on balance, I still support democrats.

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

it's the profanity filter lol

anyways mostly this cycle has strengthened my conviction that human rights > democracy / rule of law
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2016, 07:51:56 PM »

I've become more pragmatic in my libertarianism.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2016, 07:54:33 PM »

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

Yeah, the f-word is before each 'you'. I'm pretty sure the posters in question have enough experience with the profanity filter to be able to tell.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2016, 08:07:09 PM »

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

Yeah, the f-word is before each 'you'. I'm pretty sure the posters in question have enough experience with the profanity filter to be able to tell.

There are enough ways to say f**k without setting off the filter that it never occured to me that someone who knew of its existence would type the four letters knowing they would get erased and creating the bland " you, buddy." instead of the more impactful "F**k you, buddy".
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2016, 08:10:51 PM »

One thing I will say is that I feel like my 100% pro-unrestricted free trade stance doesn't fit in anymore.  That is the only issue, though, where I really feel like my party has left me.  I was worried for a while that it would concede too much to the libertarian wing (like the PATRIOT Act, which I support unequivocally), but, at least Trump's nomination went against that force.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2016, 08:15:38 PM »

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

There are enough ways to say f**k without setting off the filter that it never occured to me that someone who knew of its existence would type the four letters knowing they would get erased and creating the bland " you, buddy." instead of the more impactful "F**k you, buddy".

I wanted the cheap satisfaction of typing the word and hitting 'post' without spending time editing.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2016, 08:31:07 PM »

I've changed my political views in certain ways:

1.  I'm no longer a supporter of Obamacare.  It's a compromise program that no one likes, and became unviable in the long term when the SCOTUS threw out the mandate to expand Medicaid.

2.  I have become a serious supporter of "school choice".  This is due to my 11 year old son being able to attend a religious school with a curriculum and environment far more suited to a child with ADHD.  The public school failed my son in every way; they failed to educate him and (more importantly) they failed to protect him.  Now, atheist scumbags are launching a lawsuit to end the McKay scholarship program that is a Godsend for my son, and I am not sure I could afford his school if I had to pay out of pocket.  (Of course, a number of folks here don't give a crap about my son; they only give a crap about their agenda, so if I have to work two (2) full-time jobs, so be it.)

I've always been anti-Free Trade.  I've always been pro-life.  I've always been for enforcing our immigration laws (though not for "the wall").  But I've also been pro-union, and I've been in favor of some kind of program that would provide universal healthcare for Americans.  And I'm anti-neocon and anti-war in foreign policy.

This campaign didn't so much change my viewpoints as it caused me to change my emphasis on some issues over others.  What it DID cause me to do is identify myself as a Republican and not just a "registered Republican but an independent voter".  I intended at one point to vote for Trump and the Democrats, but I ended up voting Republican for all but a State Senate candidate.  I even voted for Little Marco, and I still don't like him at all.  (Patrick Murphy turned out to be a horrible candidate, however, so it was easier than I expected.)

And I gave up hope that the Democratic Party would get to the point where a moderate like me had a place there.  I used to view myself as a registered Republican, but a Democrat at heart.  No longer.  Thank Hillary Clinton for that.  She called me and my family Deplorable, and the rest of the Democrats shouted "Amen".  Multiply this by millions and tell me if realignment isn't underway.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2016, 10:42:42 PM »

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

I wanted the cheap satisfaction of typing the word and hitting 'post' without spending time editing.

You really think it's good that the country has legions and legions of economically struggling people who think the root cause of their problems is immigrants and big government, so vote for candidates  who would literally take away the only support they're actually getting? How do you propose these people be swayed to vote in their own interest? The evidence, logic, and facts that we would want to use would be seen as untrustworthy elitist hogwash. The only language they know is "feeling" like something is true. It makes things incredibly difficult.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2016, 10:47:19 PM »

Literally zero people switched from Obama to Trump because of immigration and big government. Nice try, though.

If Trump fails us and caves to that heartless coward sociopath Paul Ryan, just see how swiftly we abandon him too.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2016, 10:48:23 PM »

You really think it's good that the country has legions and legions of economically struggling people who think the root cause of their problems is immigrants and big government, so vote for candidates  who would literally take away the only support they're actually getting? How do you propose these people be swayed to vote in their own interest? The evidence, logic, and facts that we would want to use would be seen as untrustworthy elitist hogwash. The only language they know is "feeling" like something is true. It makes things incredibly difficult.

Well I think that actually campaigning on your economic platform rather than "I am just so shocked at how mean my opponent is and how he violates Our Hallowed Democratic Process!" would be a start.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2016, 10:51:41 PM »

As for me, I got pulled so far to the left that my party label switched. I used to think center-left pro-business liberalism was good for all, but my mindset is totally with the labor movement now, and I feel foolish for previously conflating the two as equally relevant, good and indistinct philosophies.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2016, 10:54:49 PM »

I've shifted hugely leftwards in economic issues.

I've moved leftwards on healthcare, climate change, taxes, Free Trade, Minimum wage etc where I was a little left of center on most issues but now I am staunchly left!

I was a left learning semi-progressive semi-libertarian candidate who has become staunchly progressive & I think Bernie has this effect on a huge chunk of people of the young generation!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies