During the course of this election, how have your political views changed? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:22:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  During the course of this election, how have your political views changed? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: During the course of this election, how have your political views changed?
They have become more conservative

They have stayed the same

They have become more liberal

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: During the course of this election, how have your political views changed?  (Read 6471 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« on: December 10, 2016, 05:59:08 PM »

I don't think my political views have changed very much, but I've gone from a straight-ticket Republican to a disaffected one, and certain issues that I didn't pay much attention to before (such as my support for America's trade deals, and TPP) are now of paramount importance.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 11:36:12 PM »

I don't think my political views have changed very much, but I've gone from a straight-ticket Republican to a disaffected one, and certain issues that I didn't pay much attention to before (such as my support for America's trade deals, and TPP) are now of paramount importance.
I've sort of going in the exact opposite direction.  I was a very nominal Republican, but now I self-identify as a Republican and not "just a registered Republican".  I've become a protectionist in trade, and I have considered enforcement of immigration laws to be an important issue.

Over the years, I would often say I was a Democrat at heart.  There was truth to this; I was raised by a Democratic family, and I was the youngest Democratic committeeman in Suffolk County history, possibly even to this day.  In those days, one could be a Democrat and something of a social conservative.  Those days are gone; the Democratic Party is given over to the worst of social liberalism that is, in many ways, incompatible with the ethos of working class people. 

Makes sense; we're very different people and come from very different places. I'm much younger, first of all, and I was raised by a Republican family and have generally been active in College Republicans and like organizations. I don't find social liberalism to be particularly important, but it's certainly not offensive to me and probably counts as a (very minor) reason to vote for someone. Important issues to me are ensuring that our government is solvent and spends in a restrained manner and ensuring that America retains a powerful position in the world in support of liberal democracy (which is distinct from a hawkish position; I think the Clinton administration had a model foreign policy, and it was supported by many Republicans at the time). A large part of the Trump candidacy was built around downplaying the importance of both of these issues. I tend to think, generally, that the best-governed eras in recent (post-Cold War) American history were when there was a Democratic President and a Republican-controlled Congress; the Clinton/Gingrich and Obama/Boehner cohabitations.

I also think it's important to note that Hillary Clinton did in fact win working people; she backslid massively among the white working class, but she did better with Hispanics, treaded water with African-Americans, and still won the working class overall.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies