During the course of this election, how have your political views changed? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:57:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  During the course of this election, how have your political views changed? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: During the course of this election, how have your political views changed?
They have become more conservative

They have stayed the same

They have become more liberal

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: During the course of this election, how have your political views changed?  (Read 6460 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« on: December 05, 2016, 02:49:37 AM »

Globalist elitist cosmopolitan Democrat. And proud. Wink
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 05:32:02 PM »

I am hoping Non Swing Voter's post here is more of a direct response to Trumpism than a representation of his actual beliefs. Even I believe the government should help the working class and the poor and struggling.

That being said, I see the appeal of cutting off all of the support that flows from the coasts to the heartland, if only to show these folks how much they rely on the elites that they decry so much. If some temporary tough love is what it takes to show them that they should be voting for Democrats, well... so be it.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 05:53:48 PM »

I am hoping Non Swing Voter's post here is more of a direct response to Trumpism than a representation of his actual beliefs. Even I believe the government should help the working class and the poor and struggling.

That being said, I see the appeal of cutting off all of the support that flows from the coasts to the heartland, if only to show these folks how much they rely on the elites that they decry so much. If some temporary tough love is what it takes to show them that they should be voting for Democrats, well... so be it.

Except that the people who get money from federal programs aren't the ones generally voting GOP. So you might get the attention of the non voters and democrats of the red states.

I know this is just a small example, but you really think Hillary Clinton won the Medicare demo...? A lot of Republican voters rely on social programs and still vote against their interests.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 10:42:42 PM »

They have become more liberal on social issues and more conservative on fiscal issues.  I used to be more for a populist message on the economy... lift everyone up type of thing.  Now as a natural reaction to the ilk that Trump has brought out I have a much more hard line stance on fiscal issues.  Cut taxes, cut social programs, support as much free trade as possible, stop sending money directly from the two coasts to support social programs in the Midwest and South (we pay way more in taxes than we get back). Basically, I want a sink or swim economy.  But I want it to be "fair" on social policies, which means there shouldn't be racial discrimination, gays should have equal treatment, and we shouldn't waste a ton of money on dumb wars.  So on balance, I still support democrats.

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

Those two words are not as clever as you think.
it's the profanity filter lol

Yeah, the f-word is before each 'you'. I'm pretty sure the posters in question have enough experience with the profanity filter to be able to tell.

There are enough ways to say f**k without setting off the filter that it never occured to me that someone who knew of its existence would type the four letters knowing they would get erased and creating the bland " you, buddy." instead of the more impactful "F**k you, buddy".

I wanted the cheap satisfaction of typing the word and hitting 'post' without spending time editing.

You really think it's good that the country has legions and legions of economically struggling people who think the root cause of their problems is immigrants and big government, so vote for candidates  who would literally take away the only support they're actually getting? How do you propose these people be swayed to vote in their own interest? The evidence, logic, and facts that we would want to use would be seen as untrustworthy elitist hogwash. The only language they know is "feeling" like something is true. It makes things incredibly difficult.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 11:00:53 PM »

Literally zero people switched from Obama to Trump because of immigration and big government. Nice try, though.

If Trump fails us and caves to that heartless coward sociopath Paul Ryan, just see how swiftly we abandon him too.

"Literally zero."

Okay, pal. Okay. Roll Eyes

Trump gave them scapegoats and bogeymen that distracted voters from the truth. Maybe they'll get a better understanding of reality when they lose their health insurance.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 02:44:23 PM »

The difference is, they would essentially be liquidating themselves through their own stupidity. I'm not necessarily saying I support this. Just that they'd get what they unknowingly asked for and maybe learn something. I see the appeal of that part of the situation even though I would not actually support deliberately making their lives close to unliveable.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 01:20:28 PM »

They have become more liberal on social issues and more conservative on fiscal issues.  I used to be more for a populist message on the economy... lift everyone up type of thing.  Now as a natural reaction to the ilk that Trump has brought out I have a much more hard line stance on fiscal issues.  Cut taxes, cut social programs, support as much free trade as possible, stop sending money directly from the two coasts to support social programs in the Midwest and South (we pay way more in taxes than we get back). Basically, I want a sink or swim economy.  But I want it to be "fair" on social policies, which means there shouldn't be racial discrimination, gays should have equal treatment, and we shouldn't waste a ton of money on dumb wars.  So on balance, I still support democrats.

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

you, buddy.

Those two words are not as clever as you think.
it's the profanity filter lol

Yeah, the f-word is before each 'you'. I'm pretty sure the posters in question have enough experience with the profanity filter to be able to tell.

There are enough ways to say f**k without setting off the filter that it never occured to me that someone who knew of its existence would type the four letters knowing they would get erased and creating the bland " you, buddy." instead of the more impactful "F**k you, buddy".

I wanted the cheap satisfaction of typing the word and hitting 'post' without spending time editing.

You really think it's good that the country has legions and legions of economically struggling people who think the root cause of their problems is immigrants and big government, so vote for candidates  who would literally take away the only support they're actually getting? How do you propose these people be swayed to vote in their own interest? The evidence, logic, and facts that we would want to use would be seen as untrustworthy elitist hogwash. The only language they know is "feeling" like something is true. It makes things incredibly difficult.

That could be applied to the folks you say are "Othered", and not without merit, either.  Folks who haven't yet discovered that Feelings aren't Facts.

That's fair. I am a bit less concerned about these people though because at least they're not supporting anti-fact candidates. They don't typically believe that knowledge is a mark of elitism.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 02:04:32 PM »

I am now in favor of having to pass a civics exam to be able to vote.

The Democratic Party, deserves to lose with this logic.

And what of the logic that deifies Fidel Castro? Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies