New drinking age!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:54:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  New drinking age!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Well what should happen?
Lower it to 18

Raise it to 30

Keep it as is

Abolish it

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: New drinking age!  (Read 2877 times)
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 14, 2005, 10:38:53 PM »

Well, it is my firm opinion that beer should be put on vending machines. I mean, why not? There are some countries that do it, so why not USA?
I mean REALLY! In the United States, beer is almost like a demonic thing to drink. it is banned in campuses, cafeterias, and fast food restaurants. I'm just here to say that people should be reasonable and allow beer everywhere. I have told this to many people and they agree w/ me. except for some liberal biotches who think that beer should be benned in specific places cause alcohol is a controlled substance, and if we were to put beer on vending machines, then they'd have to make sure that EVERYONE who got near that machine was over the age of 21... so i said:  you! they should lower the drinking age in the 1st place, cause 21 is not a specific age. i mean, WHAT happens physically when u turn 21? tell me! I mean. remember smoking? it used to be allowed everywhere, but now in CAliforniya, u can't even smoke in ur back yard. If the Europeans can see alcoholic beverages as wholesome, why not US? i mean, if ure here in the US and dare drink an ounce of beer b4 ure 21, you're a HERETIC!

well, this thread will not just be about beer in Vending Machines, but is also designed for u to post whatever thing u believe people should do, or should be done, or just to propose something that u believe would change society as we know it.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 10:45:43 PM »

Before you get to drink beer, you need to learn grammar and spelling.  I need a beer just to read that.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 10:47:41 PM »

I say lower it to 18, but I quit caring once I turned 21 anyway. Just too bad freshman chicks can't go to the bars, since they'd be the easiest to pick up.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 10:48:23 PM »

The State need not interfere in this private activity, which harms no one.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 11:40:14 PM »

The current policies suggest that though a 18- to 20-year-old is mature enough to be forced to die in combat or kill someone else, he is not mature enough to consume alcohol.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 11:43:20 PM »

Abolish it.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 11:49:05 PM »

I disagree about the places where you say it is banned. Many cafeterias in the US do sell beer. The check out person has the responsibility to verify that the age requirement is met.

Fast food restaurants also sell beer. It is usually market-driven and certain foods come with a greater expectation that beer would go well. For instance, the Pizza Hut in town has a license for beer, as does a local fast-food sandwich shop.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 12:11:00 AM »

18 to purchase, but whenever to be able to drink with parental permission. In Australia, I think it's from birth or like three years old or whatever.

16 year olds will drink. It's going to happen. But I don't think we should make it too easy for them, just not totally illegal.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 03:12:32 AM »

The pragmatist in me says lower it to 18.  The libertarian in me says abolish it.  Either way, it's ridiculous that citizens can go to war but cannot drink alcohol.  (And a side note: some liberal groups in South Carolina want to raise the age to 25.)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 04:22:18 AM »

The pragmatist in me says lower it to 18.  The libertarian in me says abolish it.  Either way, it's ridiculous that citizens can go to war but cannot drink alcohol.  (And a side note: some liberal groups in South Carolina want to raise the age to 25.)

This pretty much sums up exactly other I was going to say, sans the part about South Carolina, which I know nothing about. Wink
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 06:05:07 AM »

The current policies suggest that though a 18- to 20-year-old is mature enough to be forced to die in combat or kill someone else, he is not mature enough to consume alcohol.

^^^^^
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 10:53:44 AM »

The pragmatist in me says lower it to 18.  The libertarian in me says abolish it.  Either way, it's ridiculous that citizens can go to war but cannot drink alcohol. 

Richius's comment too, learn some better spelling KillerPollo.  I mean I laughed my ass off at 'liberal biotches', but you should still improve it quite a bit...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 10:56:22 AM »

Here: Keep as is.
US: Lower to 16.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 11:12:51 AM »

isn't that a double standard?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2005, 11:14:09 AM »

No, since it already is at 16 here. Smiley Well, for beer and wine and Apfelwein actually, for hard liquor it's 18.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2005, 11:24:21 AM »

No, since it already is at 16 here. Smiley Well, for beer and wine and Apfelwein actually, for hard liquor it's 18.

ah, I thought it was abolished in Germany.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2005, 11:27:12 AM »

You're technically right actually; 16 or 18 is the legal age of purchase. Same thing with drug use - it's not illegal. Possession is. It's just the way the logic works.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2005, 11:33:44 AM »

KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2005, 11:38:21 AM »
« Edited: July 15, 2005, 12:21:41 PM by Mexican StatesRights (AKA: KillerPollo) »

The pragmatist in me says lower it to 18.  The libertarian in me says abolish it.  Either way, it's ridiculous that citizens can go to war but cannot drink alcohol. 

Richius's comment too, learn some better spelling KillerPollo.  I mean I laughed my ass off at 'liberal biotches', but you should still improve it quite a bit...

I spelled it like that on purpose

Also, IMO the united states is the laughing-stock of all drinking ages. I mean! we gotta lower it! what happens at age 21?
do you grow extra arms or something? do you instantly develop some immunity to alcohol?
Well, keep in mind that i'm not including countries that ban alcohol altogether (ie Saudi Arabia)
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2005, 10:23:58 PM »

19 to purchase....but with parental permission anyone over the age of 12 should be allowed to drink. 19 keeps it out of high schools, but makes it more accessable for college students and young adults. Kids will drink anyway. Might as well make it in a safe environment supervised by parents.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2005, 01:23:18 AM »

I'm confused. Isn't legalizing alcohol at a certain age a state's issue? Or is it a federal one? Is it the same with cigarettes?
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2005, 02:44:58 AM »

I repeat my comment from another thread on this topic...

19 is the magic number.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2005, 02:00:11 PM »

Lower it to 18, not like everyone hasn't had a beer by the age of 16 anyway.....
PADem

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2005, 03:53:22 PM »

New Zealand used to have a compromise sort of system

One could drink and purchase alcohol at 18 with parental (someone over 20) supervision

Once you reached 20 you could do what you liked.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2005, 03:56:59 PM »

I agree that would be ideal, but probably too radical for the country right now. I would just try to lower it to 18.

Mostly what needs to happen is that the feds need to quit blackmailing the states by threatening to withhold funding unless they keep the drinking age at 21.

I bet we could get rid of seat belt laws in several states as well if not for denial of federal funds.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies