New drinking age!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:30:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  New drinking age!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Well what should happen?
Lower it to 18

Raise it to 30

Keep it as is

Abolish it

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: New drinking age!  (Read 2881 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2005, 08:41:45 PM »

I'm confused. Isn't legalizing alcohol at a certain age a state's issue? Or is it a federal one? Is it the same with cigarettes?

By the constitutional amendment (21) that repealed prohibition, the regulation of the sale and transportation of alcoholic beverages was made a state issue. The Congress found a back door to regulation when they tied federal transportation funding to states having a minimum age of 21 to purchase alcohol. Those states that resisted the federal law lost in court.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2005, 08:50:46 PM »

As a High School Student I got to say that the drinking age in my area is entirely disregarded.  Virtually every social event the town seems to be graced with alchohol.  Honestly, it seems to be simply a rite of passage, with a forbidden fruit effect that if anything encourages drinking.  But you have to draw an arbitrary line somewhere, so why not keep it at 21?
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2005, 09:42:37 PM »

Write-in: Prohibition Wink
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2005, 11:18:29 AM »

I like 19 like most of Canada.
MissCatholic

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2005, 12:17:05 PM »

All Euorpean Countires i can think off have a drinking age of less than 21.

So move it to 18. Why is it so high?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2005, 08:46:04 AM »

I would say it should be lowered to 18. If you can vote, go to war, and otherwise enjoy all of the other privledges and responsibilities of adulthood, I don't see why drinking should be any different.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2005, 11:41:44 AM »

I would say it should be lowered to 18. If you can vote, go to war, and otherwise enjoy all of the other privledges and responsibilities of adulthood, I don't see why drinking should be any different.

yeah, They dont let me buy a can o' Molson, yet they allow me to purchase a 1/2 Liter can of Monster Energy Drink, which is basically the opposite of beer, and caffeine is more harmful thgan alcohol.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2005, 11:04:04 AM »

yeah, They dont let me buy a can o' Molson, yet they allow me to purchase a 1/2 Liter can of Monster Energy Drink, which is basically the opposite of beer, and caffeine is more harmful thgan alcohol.

Very true....the government seems kind of random with what it does and doesn't ban. Marijuana is better for you than tobacco, and doesn't impare your judgement as much as alcohol, yet tobacco is legal at 18 and alcohol at 21 but marijuana isn't legal at all. An 8 year old can drink 4 energy drinks but a 20 year old can't even have the odouls non-alcoholic beer (in most restaurants) because it contains traces of alcohol.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2005, 08:04:06 PM »

There are many states that would agree with Nym's assessment. States generally want to curb drinking among high school students, but the best age to control that varied greatly before the national standard went into place. One result of the varying state standards was the large amount of driving that took place to get to a state that was legal. I went to high school in suburban St Paul in the 1970's, and there were many road trips by my classmates to go 30 miles to WI to drink.

The prevalence of drivers with access to a car was increasing steadily in the late 20th C. There were too many studies that related drinking to traffic fatalities to ignore, and many made it clear that younger drivers were most at risk of poor judgement. So, the federal drinking age is directly tied to its impact on driving. If more responsibility were shown by young drivers, their case would be stronger.

To answer KP, I am not aware of any study linking increased traffic deaths to caffeine. Caffeine may have other harmful effects, just as alcohol has shown some potential beneficial health effects in small doses. Those effects are not the reason for the controls. It's all about drinking and driving.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies