Trump blasting China about military in South China Sea on Twitter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:41:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump blasting China about military in South China Sea on Twitter
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump blasting China about military in South China Sea on Twitter  (Read 1104 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2016, 11:32:35 PM »

Apparently he's still upset about the phone call with Taiwan being scrutinized and now it's snowballing to him getting mad about China having its military in the South China Sea.

Unbelievable.

2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 11:38:33 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2016, 12:49:48 AM by Thoughtful Cynic »

Of all things for Trump to diarrhea on Twitter over, it's this. Roll Eyes
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 11:42:22 PM »

Apparently he's still upset about the phone call with Taiwan being scrutinized and now it's snowballing to him getting mad about China having its military in the South China Sea.

Unbelievable.
China's leadership has become cocky because we sat back and let them do whatever they wanted for far too long. If we whipped those animals (the leaders, that is) into line when needed, they would not be making these types of offensive adventures. Does China ask our permission to behave like a petulant child on the global stage? America has direct interests in the region, including Guam, Saipan, the Trust Territories, and overseas military bases, not to mention our mutual security obligations. It's actually a disgrace that American leaders before Trump were so weak on China.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 11:47:17 PM »

I fail to see how our interest in the South China Sea is any more than our interest in, say, Crimea. The latter is a gigantic piece of land with millions of people living in it. The former is literally just some barren rocks. Granted, the Chinese should be cooperating with its neighbors in the region, but Trump is clearly having a double standard. He loathes China and loves Russia, even though the latter has been far more aggressive on the world stage. His latest moves show it's not just about economics, either.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 11:57:21 PM »

I fail to see how our interest in the South China Sea is any more than our interest in, say, Crimea. The latter is a gigantic piece of land with millions of people living in it. The former is literally just some barren rocks. Granted, the Chinese should be cooperating with its neighbors in the region, but Trump is clearly having a double standard. He loathes China and loves Russia, even though the latter has been far more aggressive on the world stage. His latest moves show it's not just about economics, either.

No double standard. Why shouldn't Paleocons like Russia? If some secret society of Chinese orthodox Christians staged a coup and consolidated control of China, Trump's supporters would like China too.

Similarly, if Russia when back to communism, Pat Buchanan would go back to hating it.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 12:07:05 AM »

Thankfully, reports say that Trump will soon have to hand his personal twitter account to the Secret Service.

SAD!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 01:09:57 AM »

No double standard. Why shouldn't Paleocons like Russia? If some secret society of Chinese orthodox Christians staged a coup and consolidated control of China, Trump's supporters would like China too.

I doubt it. Americans of all political stripes are divided between apathy and animosity for China, even though the country has merely taken advantage of trade deals we pushed on them, to help raise their population from poverty. But only PNAC right-wingers actively push for a military confrontation.
EnglishPete

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 05:51:15 AM »

Thankfully, reports say that Trump will soon have to hand his personal twitter account to the Secret Service.

SAD!
"Have to". He'll be their boss in a few weeks. Then also he'll have access to the @POTUS account. You don't think he's going to use it?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 07:21:25 AM »

Unbelievable.
China's leadership has become cocky because we sat back and let them do whatever they wanted for far too long. If we whipped those animals (the leaders, that is) into line when needed, they would not be making these types of offensive adventures. Does China ask our permission to behave like a petulant child on the global stage? America has direct interests in the region, including Guam, Saipan, the Trust Territories, and overseas military bases, not to mention our mutual security obligations. It's actually a disgrace that American leaders before Trump were so weak on China.

And that my friends is why Santander has the word God and 5 gold stars beneath his name.

China are a genuinely peaceful country.

It will be interesting to see how Trump goes when he visits China.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 08:26:42 AM »

Unbelievable.

And that my friends is why Santander has the word God and 5 gold stars beneath his name.

China are a genuinely peaceful country.

It will be interesting to see how Trump goes when he visits China.

China is a terrifying country. I once spoke to a friend who was a well educated Chinese grad student, he told me he had never heard of the Tiennamin square massacare until coming to the United States and that in fact no students were killed only "outside conspirators".
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 08:56:29 AM »

Oh, relax, China can handle it.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 09:51:33 AM »

Well, the problem is not that he’s tweeting, the problem is that once again the facts tell otherwise (except the military base). The tax claim is false as is the devaluation. However, he’s right that it is outrageous that China wants to forbid the president-elect a phone call.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 10:02:29 AM »

Well, the problem is not that he’s tweeting, the problem is that once again the facts tell otherwise (except the military base). The tax claim is false as is the devaluation. However, he’s right that it is outrageous that China wants to forbid the president-elect a phone call.

No one is "forbidding" him anything. It's just that he's demonstrating either reckless judgement, or a mix gross ignorance and stupidity (or all of the above), and then compounding it by whining like the petulant man-child he is. None of which should come as any surprise.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 10:45:52 AM »

No one is "forbidding" him anything. It's just that he's demonstrating either reckless judgement, or a mix gross ignorance and stupidity (or all of the above), and then compounding it by whining like the petulant man-child he is. None of which should come as any surprise.

But they criticized him, which is unacceptable in my judgement. I don’t like the Trumpster at all, but on that one thing he’s not wrong. Picking up a call from the Republic of China is a legitimate thing considering the fact that there are non-official relations with the US on several issues, including military cooperation.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 11:04:51 AM »

Trump makes me cringe whenever he talks about foreign policy. Dude literally doesn't know anything about it.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 11:26:36 AM »

But they criticized him, which is unacceptable in my judgement. I don’t like the Trumpster at all, but on that one thing he’s not wrong. Picking up a call from the Republic of China is a legitimate thing considering the fact that there are non-official relations with the US on several issues, including military cooperation.

EnglishPete

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 01:44:09 PM »

SAD!
Trump tweeted the following earlier today

"If the press would cover me accurately and honorably, I would have far less reason to "tweet". Sadly I don't know if that will ever happen!"

How I understand this is that the press have been calling on him to give up twitter because they don't like the way he can communicate with the public unfiltered by the press. He's saying here that if the press don't give him the opportunity to do the same on their platforms, which he realises they won't do, then he'll carry on using social media.

In other words he's say to his detractors in the media "If you don't like me tweeting too bad, you'll just have to get used to it for the next four to eight years".
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 02:03:56 PM »

SAD!

"If the press would cover me accurately and honorably, I would have far less reason to "tweet". Sadly I don't know if that will ever happen!"

How I understand this is that the press have been calling on him to give up twitter because they don't like the way he can communicate with the public unfiltered by the press. He's saying here that if the press don't give him the opportunity to do the same on their platforms, which he realises they won't do, then he'll carry on using social media.

In other words he's say to his detractors in the media "If you don't like me tweeting too bad, you'll just have to get used to it for the next four to eight years".

If "his detractors in the media" had covered him "fairly and honorably" he would have been out of the race last fall.
EnglishPete

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 02:17:54 PM »

SAD!

If "his detractors in the media" had covered him "fairly and honorably" he would have been out of the race last fall.
It was noticeable that the major liberal media gave him major publicity in the Primaries that helped him and that their coverage turned into an anti-Trump hate fest in the general. I have to wonder if they were deliberately helping him in the primaries at the behest of the Clinton campaign because the Clinton campaign thought he'd be an easier candidate to beat in the general with the help of the legacy media. These kinds of media barrages have worked well in the past for the liberal media (see Joe McCarthy, Barry Goldwater etc). They didn't realise they don't work so well in the age of social media when people can bypass the legacy liberal media.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 02:22:04 PM »

since cnn and cbs seem to be uncritical of their own work, i disagree.

they sound like they would do the same things again, cause they make big bucks that way.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 03:51:50 PM »

SAD!

It was noticeable that the major liberal media gave him major publicity in the Primaries that helped him and that their coverage turned into an anti-Trump hate fest in the general. I have to wonder if they were deliberately helping him in the primaries at the behest of the Clinton campaign because the Clinton campaign thought he'd be an easier candidate to beat in the general with the help of the legacy media. These kinds of media barrages have worked well in the past for the liberal media (see Joe McCarthy, Barry Goldwater etc). They didn't realise they don't work so well in the age of social media when people can bypass the legacy liberal media.

There is evidence online that the media ended up giving crazies like Trump, Carson, and Cruz more coverage at the hope that one of them ended up being the nominee and would be crushed by Saint Hillary Clinton, Champion of Progressivism.

OOPS!
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 09:57:38 AM »

That’s not the point I’m making. I’m the first who is criticizing Mr. Drumpf, as I am not a fan of him and never have been. The issue is that a foreign power (Beijing) is trying to influence foreign relations of the US to a de-facto sovereign and democratic country. I regard this is as not acceptable, particularly because it was only a simple call that the president-elect received. It’s none of China’s business to criticize that the Trumpster is just talking to another chief-executive.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies