Trump expands search for Secretary of State
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:14:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump expands search for Secretary of State
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump expands search for Secretary of State  (Read 1316 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2016, 01:02:05 AM »

This can mean only one thing, Mitt is out, as is Rudy.

Trump has got to be out of his mind to pass over Mitt for this position.  Mitt is the only one who could have provided stability to this post.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/trump-expands-search-for-secretary-of-state-beyond-romney-and-three-other-finalists/ar-AAl8ksC?li=AAggNb9
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 01:12:15 AM »

Trump has got to be out of his mind to pass over Mitt for this position.  Mitt is the only one who could have provided stability to this post.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/trump-expands-search-for-secretary-of-state-beyond-romney-and-three-other-finalists/ar-AAl8ksC?li=AAggNb9

Trump? Out of his mind? Not seeking stability?

It's almost like you just elected the worst president America has ever seen or something.
EnglishPete

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 05:41:44 AM »

Mitt Romney would have been a terrible choice.  Trump has been arguing for a fundamental change in US foreign policy. For the past 70 years the Democratic Party and the 'moderate' wing of the Republican Party have been following a foreign policy of 'spreading democracy' which finds its most aggressive forms in neo-Con 'national building' foreign policy in the middle east.

A policy of appeasing far left governments which swings between a half hearted 'containment' and full blooded 'detente', strongly opposing the kind of anti-Communist 'rollback' advocated by the like of Barry Goldwater and Trump's personal hero General Patton and successfully practiced by Ronald Reagan.

A policy of promoting international regional integration through bodies like the EU and Mercosur. This as part of a wider policy of having the US behave as the leader of in international order whose aim is to spread 'progressive' (i.e. center left) ideals throughout the world rather than have the US behave in a more Palmerstonian fashion as a nation like other nations (just bigger and more powerful)  that persues its self interest just as they do.

This set of foreign policies has been promoted not just by the Democratic Party and 'moderate' Republicans.  It is deep seated in the mindset of the permanent bureaucracy of the State Department. I am pleased that Trump is committed to changing US foreign policy in all these areas and am happy with the start he has made so far with his communications during the transition. However these changes are bound to be resisted by the permanent bureaucracy at the State Department so in order to overcome and defeat that resistance he really needs a SoS who is on the wavelength as him who would be committed to following hi policies and opposing and rooting out any bureaucratic resistance.

Nothing I have seen of Mitt Romney suggests he is remotely suitable for that role. Quite the reverse he seems highly sympathetic to the neo-Con world view and unsympathetic to Trump's world view. That's leaving aside the fact that he strongly opposed Trump throughout the election. Of course in both cases the Apple doesn't fall far from the tree if we remember his father's role in the 1964 election.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 07:03:20 AM »

Mitt Romney would have been a terrible choice.  Trump has been arguing for a fundamental change in US foreign policy. For the past 70 years the Democratic Party and the 'moderate' wing of the Republican Party have been following a foreign policy of 'spreading democracy' which finds its most aggressive forms in neo-Con 'national building' foreign policy in the middle east.

A policy of appeasing far left governments which swings between a half hearted 'containment' and full blooded 'detente', strongly opposing the kind of anti-Communist 'rollback' advocated by the like of Barry Goldwater and Trump's personal hero General Patton and successfully practiced by Ronald Reagan.

A policy of promoting international regional integration through bodies like the EU and Mercosur. This as part of a wider policy of having the US behave as the leader of in international order whose aim is to spread 'progressive' (i.e. center left) ideals throughout the world rather than have the US behave in a more Palmerstonian fashion as a nation like other nations (just bigger and more powerful)  that persues its self interest just as they do.

This set of foreign policies has been promoted not just by the Democratic Party and 'moderate' Republicans.  It is deep seated in the mindset of the permanent bureaucracy of the State Department. I am pleased that Trump is committed to changing US foreign policy in all these areas and am happy with the start he has made so far with his communications during the transition. However these changes are bound to be resisted by the permanent bureaucracy at the State Department so in order to overcome and defeat that resistance he really needs a SoS who is on the wavelength as him who would be committed to following hi policies and opposing and rooting out any bureaucratic resistance.

Nothing I have seen of Mitt Romney suggests he is remotely suitable for that role. Quite the reverse he seems highly sympathetic to the neo-Con world view and unsympathetic to Trump's world view. That's leaving aside the fact that he strongly opposed Trump throughout the election. Of course in both cases the Apple doesn't fall far from the tree if we remember his father's role in the 1964 election.

Trump needs to appoint a non-neocon to State, period.
EnglishPete

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 07:59:45 AM »

Trump needs to appoint a non-neocon to State, period.
Exactly
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 10:53:32 AM »

Still hopping that John Bolton gets the SOS job.

Rudi for secretary of homeland.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 10:59:03 AM »
« Edited: December 05, 2016, 11:01:39 AM by MohamedChalid »

I don’t hope that. Bolton would be a bad choice. We certainly don’t need another neocon from the W era that put the middle east in turmoil with all of its known ugly consequences.

This thread should be moved to the US general discussion, by the way.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 11:00:55 AM »

No. I believe in HUNTSMAN. The only serious choice.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 11:03:54 AM »

I'm holding out hope that the beautiful human being known as David Petraeus gets it.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 11:13:10 AM »

Giuliani is a sack of s--t, but Romney is a neocon interventionist that wouldn't exactly be great for foreign policy either. Huntsman is the best choice at this point.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 11:47:15 AM »

I can see how that would fit with the "evil and stupid" theme President-elect Pussygrabber seems to be going for, but I don't think they're nearly rich enough.
EnglishPete

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 03:39:37 PM »

Good news. Dana Rohrabachet reportedly still in the running for SoS.

http://gotnews.com/breaking-rep-danarohrabacher-still-running-secretary-state-will-east-coast-soon-transition2017/
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 03:49:23 PM »

I'm holding out hope that the beautiful human being known as David Petraeus gets it.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 04:23:40 PM »

It's going to be Giuliani.

Trump is just dragging this out and "keeping us in suspense" like he usually does.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 04:47:09 PM »

Still hoping for Bolton or Giuliani -- it's time to move the embassy and a status-quo Republican like Huntsman or Romney is less likely to do it.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 05:26:05 PM »

List:
John Bolton
Rudy Giuliani
Richard Grenell
Jon Huntsman, Jr.
Zalmay Khalilzad
David Petraeus
Mitt Romney
Rex Tillerson

I'll update this if we hear more/if anyone reminds me of one I forgot.
EnglishPete

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 05:45:48 PM »

List:
John Bolton
Rudy Giuliani
Richard Grenell
Jon Huntsman, Jr.
Zalmay Khalilzad
David Petraeus
Mitt Romney
Rex Tillerson

I'll update this if we hear more/if anyone reminds me of one I forgot.
As I mentioned few posts ago Dana Rohrabachet.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 06:58:26 PM »

The easiest explanation here is that Trump simply has no idea what he wants in a Secretary of State and never really has.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 07:28:17 PM »

The easiest explanation here is that Trump simply has no idea what he wants in a Secretary of State and never really has.

Oh, he probably has an idea what he wants, it's just different from what he wanted yesterday, or the day before that, or the week before that.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 08:04:38 PM »

Oh, he probably has an idea what he wants, it's just different from what he wanted yesterday, or the day before that, or the week before that.

lol!
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 08:37:22 PM »

I don't like Rohrabacher, he's an extreme Tea Party evangelical.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2016, 08:49:32 PM »

Yes nominate Petraeus, The guy that traded classified intel for a piece of ass.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 09:34:52 PM »

Democratic Rep. Tulsi Gabbard has been mentioned.

I'd be all in with that pick.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2016, 01:47:42 AM »

It's almost like they don't remember spending over a year going after Clinton for the same type of issue, minus the admitted lying and smuggling docs for ass. And now they want some guy who was actually convicted for such crime(s) to take over the same office that Clinton held.

Crazy funny. Only thing more amusing would be the weak, if not downright comical justifications that follow.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2016, 09:17:04 AM »

Yeah, but so would I.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies