Candid Candidates?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:19:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Candid Candidates?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Candid Candidates?  (Read 457 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2016, 01:34:17 AM »

Been thinking of who would be the best candidate for Dems to run in 2020. One quality that I've decided is CRUCIAL going forward: The candidate must be able to speak candidly, not like a politician. I believe that the American people, in both parties, have learned to spot when a politician is giving a canned response or a ingenuine  speech.

The things that Trump says are disgusting, disturbing, and often insane. But this has helped him with the Republican base. He speaks from the heart, in a manner many GOP voters do, not in canned talking points. Hillary (And most longtime politicians) speaks in a robotic way. Like every sentence was written and approved by a committee.

Barack Obama has a very different personality than Trump, clearly. But like Trump he speaks in a relatively candid way. Obama is possibly the most charismatic politician of the past 20 years. Like Trump, his speeches seem genuine and from Obama himself. It's part of what's led to his massive popularity with the left-of-center voting base. Bernie Sanders's massive popularity in 2016; primarily with millennials, rural voters, and working class whites, I believe was in part due to Bernie's same ability to seem genuine. He ideas, no matter what you think of them, are coming from himself and you can tell he passionately believes in them.

So which of the possible 2020 Presidential candidates could best fit this category? Guys like Jim Justice and Brian Schweitzer have a Trump-like personality, but in a way that I believe liberal voters won't go for. I cannot see a scenario where either of those two would be competitive in  primary. So who's left?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies