Jeff Sessions' Coming War on Legal Marijuana
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:14:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Jeff Sessions' Coming War on Legal Marijuana
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Jeff Sessions' Coming War on Legal Marijuana  (Read 2748 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2016, 08:10:16 AM »

Hopefully the headline is hyperbolic, but not good news! The pot issue needs to go the way of SSM - it's over honey, let's move on. Sessions finally got used to the idea of persons of color having equal rights. He now needs to get used to pot.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 08:17:49 AM »

You startled me for a minute, Torie, because my skimming of this article brought nothing that we didn't already know.  Sessions hasn't spoken about marijuana since early this year nor has he released any plans about what he'll do as AG, yet.

Tom McClintock's optimistic that he'll tread carefully on this one.  That's something good to take from the article, I guess.
JJC

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 08:26:32 AM »

Hopefully the headline is hyperbolic, but not good news! The pot issue needs to go the way of SSM - it's over honey, let's move on. Sessions finally got used to the idea of persons of color having equal rights. He now needs to get used to pot.

*sigh

Just stop this stupidity. Please.

Being a strong political advocate does not mean you have to demonize your opposition just to make yourself feel superior. It does not mean you have to believe every piece of anti-opposition lie that gets pumped out when - deep down - you know it's garbage.

Sessions not only has a long history of defending civil rights, but has also specifically gone after and convicted KKK members who have sought to suppress minorities in the past. Many minority activists have publicly supported him and thanked him for his efforts. He's certainly done a lot more than you will ever do for equality.

So just stop this garbage. If liberals want to continue to have their main platform be 'you're a racist/sexist/homophobe if you disagree with me!', then your party will continue to lose.

Stop being willfully ignorant.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 09:54:03 AM »

How are the chances that the senate rejects his nomination? It wouldn’t be the first time (though the previous one was for a judge’s post).
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 10:27:07 AM »

*sigh

Being a strong political advocate does not mean you have to demonize your opposition just to make yourself feel superior. It does not mean you have to believe every piece of anti-opposition lie that gets pumped out when - deep down - you know it's garbage.

Sessions not only has a long history of defending civil rights, but has also specifically gone after and convicted KKK members who have sought to suppress minorities in the past. Many minority activists have publicly supported him and thanked him for his efforts. He's certainly done a lot more than you will ever do for equality.

So just stop this garbage. If liberals want to continue to have their main platform be 'you're a racist/sexist/homophobe if you disagree with me!', then your party will continue to lose.

I see why you would be disturbed about Sessions being anti-legal marijuana. The potent supply of marijuana you're intaking must be of amazing quality. I'll need to look into the quality of Texas weed, after all.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 10:31:13 AM »

How are the chances that the senate rejects his nomination? It wouldn’t be the first time (though the previous one was for a judge’s post).
Considering he is a sitting US Senator and the GOP controls the Senate, nil.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 10:39:44 AM »

By a majority of two seats. Maybe someone like Rand Paul or Jeff Flake votes against him (assuming no single Democrat votes aye).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 11:49:27 AM »

*sigh

Please tell me what you really think. No reason to bottle it all up inside you.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 11:52:33 AM »

By a majority of two seats. Maybe someone like Rand Paul or Jeff Flake votes against him (assuming no single Democrat votes aye).

Manchin and Collins are already saying they will vote in favor.

There are reports that multiple Democrats will put an indefinite personal hold on his appointment, which is still allowed under the rules (only a filibuster was removed for appointments).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 11:55:27 AM »

There are reports that multiple Democrats will put an indefinite personal hold on his appointment, which is still allowed under the rules (only a filibuster was removed for appointments).

I don't think the out party has the power to put a hold on anything (and I think the hold power for the in party is just for judicial slots if my memory serves). But if you have a link to set me straight, that would be grand.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 12:54:25 PM »

I think Attorney General Sessions will be too busy jailing dissidents, rolling back the Voting Rights Act, expanding the PATRIOT Act, spying on every single Mosque, somehow banning abortion again, forcibly divorcing gays and then forcibly remarrying them to middle aged divorcees, administering the imagined Hispanicaust, and forcing every American by law to carry a firearm at all times to bother going after a bunch of stoners.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 12:56:18 PM »

I think Attorney General Sessions will be too busy jailing dissidents, rolling back the Voting Rights Act, expanding the PATRIOT Act, spying on every single Mosque, somehow banning abortion again, forcibly divorcing gays and then forcibly remarrying them to middle aged divorcees, administering the imagined Hispanicaust, and forcing every American by law to carry a firearm at all times to bother going after a bunch of stoners.

I must say that you have an overactive imagination. Is that a natural "gift," or do you get help from certain "friends?" Smiley
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 12:59:31 PM »

I don't think the out party has the power to put a hold on anything (and I think the hold power for the in party is just for judicial slots if my memory serves). But if you have a link to set me straight, that would be grand.

You are correct, I misread this article wrong, but it does sound like they are going to make the process as slow and uncomfortable as possible.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/trump-cabinet-democrats-senate-232136
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 01:00:02 PM »

I must say that you have an overactive imagination. Is that a natural "gift," or do you get help from certain "friends?" Smiley
If it's a natural gift than it's been dormant until this year.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 01:26:50 PM »

If it's a natural gift than it's been dormant until this year.

Your fantasies as a Branch Trumpidian is quite ... vivid. Do you get them at the local meetings of the "Trumpidians" (dressed in - uh, white).
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 03:00:59 PM »

This is a total violation of the 10th amendment. The courts should rule marijunana is states issue and not a federal issue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 03:12:59 PM »

This is a total violation of the 10th amendment. The courts should rule marijunana is states issue and not a federal issue

SCOTUS killed off that aspect of the generally comatose 10th amendment long ago, with its robust interpretation of the commence clause. Indeed it came close to killing off the 10th amendment, and federalism in general, with the Obamacare decision, where 4 of the 9 justices held that one was engaged in interstate commerce by choosing not to get out of bed in the morning. Cheers.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 03:37:24 PM »

Something really needs to be done about all the white supremacist trolls at this place. Sessions a civil rights champion? lmao
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 03:56:56 PM »

Something really needs to be done about all the white supremacist trolls at this place. Sessions a civil rights champion? lmao
But he fulfilled his legal responsibility as a prosecutor and prosecutor Klanmen in a case where it was not remotely controversial to do so, so he's basically MLK.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 04:15:04 PM »

They'll go away when their god emperor starts failing. In the meantime we can mock them.

Give it a year or two before God Emperor Trump crashes and burns. Then the supremacists will quickly disavow him.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 04:34:40 PM »

Going after legal marijuana would be a massive fight, likely a SCOTUS battle, and would take a lot of political capital. I doubt Sessions hates legal weed to the point he's willing to stick the Trump administration in that hornet's nest.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2016, 05:28:04 PM »

Going after legal marijuana would be a massive fight, likely a SCOTUS battle, and would take a lot of political capital. I doubt Sessions hates legal weed to the point he's willing to stick the Trump administration in that hornet's nest.

Keep in mind there are a not-small number of Republican Senators from states with legal weed (Gardner, Sullivan, now Heller) and ones who are at least open to a state's rights approach (Paul, Daines)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 06:28:54 PM »

Keep in mind there are a not-small number of Republican Senators from states with legal weed (Gardner, Sullivan, now Heller) and ones who are at least open to a state's rights approach (Paul, Daines)
And Collins. The green states are 4-12.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2016, 12:17:21 PM »

I think the real "war on legal marijuana" is likely to take the form of a future that is so terrifying, so insecure, and so full of anxiety that no one can enjoy a smoke even if it's legal to have one. Best to stick with alcohol, opioids, and tranqs over the next few years, I think.
Opioids should be avoided like the plague.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2016, 12:21:00 PM »

I think the real "war on legal marijuana" is likely to take the form of a future that is so terrifying, so insecure, and so full of anxiety that no one can enjoy a smoke even if it's legal to have one. Best to stick with alcohol, opioids, and tranqs over the next few years, I think.
Opioids should be avoided like the plague.

Yeah. The suggestion otherwise isn't funny.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies