Sanctuary cities: good or bad idea?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:06:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Sanctuary cities: good or bad idea?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are they a good or bad idea?
good (R)

bad (R)

good (D)

bad (D)

good (I/O/C/L/S/G)

bad (I/O/C/L/S/G)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Sanctuary cities: good or bad idea?  (Read 1254 times)
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2016, 02:41:48 PM »

Good idea or bad idea?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 02:51:13 PM »

Bad - as dealing with immigration is a power given to the federal government and congress which means states and cities cant use the 10th amendment to not follow federal law.

White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 02:52:30 PM »

Bad - as dealing with immigration is a power given to the federal government and congress which means states and cities cant use the 10th amendment to not follow federal law.

Exactly. A lot of folks forget that the 10th amendment works both ways.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 03:29:42 PM »

Weakens the ability of the federal government top enforce immigration laws= great.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 03:33:23 PM »

Weakens the ability of the federal government top enforce immigration laws= great.

At the same time, it empowers local law enforcement to solve crimes within the immigrant community without people having to worry their mothers might get deported if they want to help.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 04:46:25 PM »

I actually support a basic "don't ask, don't tell" policy of sorts for illegal immigrants not convicted of crimes of moral turpitude. (e.g. people should not be asked about immigration status during a traffic stop or arrest, schools should not be expected to turn over information regarding suspected visa overstays or illegal immigrants without due process, etc.) It's not ideal, but we need something to prevent witch hunts by overzealous law enforcement officers/agencies or make the US an even more terrifying place to be a (legal) foreigner.

However, I do not support local law enforcement agencies impeding or being otherwise uncooperative in the federal government's enforcement of immigration laws. If immigration enforcement action is initiated by the federal government, or in the case of known illegal immigrants convicted of crimes of moral turpitude, state and local agencies should be expected to cooperate fully with the federal government to defend the integrity of our laws and protect the public. There is also nothing wrong with not providing driver's licenses or other services to illegal immigrants, and it is deeply offensive to grant in-state tuition or other state benefits to illegal immigrants.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 04:47:15 PM »

I actually support a basic "don't ask, don't tell" policy of sorts for illegal immigrants not convicted of crimes of moral turpitude. (e.g. people should not be asked about immigration status during a traffic stop or arrest, schools should not be expected to turn over information regarding suspected visa overstays or illegal immigrants without due process, etc.) It's not ideal, but we need something to prevent witch hunts by overzealous law enforcement officers/agencies or make the US an even more terrifying place to be a (legal) foreigner.

However, I do not support local law enforcement agencies impeding or being otherwise uncooperative in the federal government's enforcement of immigration laws. If immigration enforcement action is initiated by the federal government, or in the case of known illegal immigrants convicted of crimes of moral turpitude, state and local agencies should be expected to cooperate fully with the federal government to defend the integrity of our laws and protect the public. There is also nothing wrong with not providing driver's licenses or other services to illegal immigrants, and it is deeply offensive to grant in-state tuition or other state benefits to illegal immigrants.
I agree with that. Why not only deport illegal immigrants who are convicted of severe crimes without deporting anyone else?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 05:01:22 PM »

I agree with that. Why not only deport illegal immigrants who are convicted of severe crimes without deporting anyone else?
Well, I wouldn't go that far. All I'm saying is that for practical reasons, I don't like the idea of local law enforcement playing border patrol with every single "foreign"-looking or -sounding person. The last place I want to live is a "show me your papers" police state. Also, the federal government has a policy of not generally pursuing removal action against people who have not broken any laws other than being in the country illegally itself, and I think that's good policy from a practical perspective. However, even if I think that is good policy, I am fine with the federal government pursuing removal action on an individual basis against anyone who they know to be in the country illegally, as it is their right and responsibility to enforce the law.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 05:03:40 PM »

Well, I wouldn't go that far. All I'm saying is that for practical reasons, I don't like the idea of local law enforcement playing border patrol with every single "foreign"-looking or -sounding person. The last place I want to live is a "show me your papers" police state. Also, the federal government has a policy of not generally pursuing removal action against people who have not broken any laws other than being in the country illegally itself, and I think that's good policy from a practical perspective. However, even if I think that is good policy, I am fine with the federal government pursuing removal action on an individual basis against anyone who they know to be in the country illegally, as it is their right and responsibility to enforce the law.
I also oppose a "show me your papers" state.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 10:53:17 PM »

... This may be your greatest post I have ever seen.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 01:18:32 PM »

Opposed on principle but it isn't local law enforcements job to handle this stuff. I'm basically in agreement with Santander aside from the part about schools.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 01:25:55 PM »

very good (sees undocumented immigrants as human)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 04:12:52 AM »

Nothing in the 10th amendment allows the federal government to turn states and localities into enforcement agents.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 10:05:32 AM »

RIP soon.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 02:52:30 PM »

Nothing in the 10th amendment allows the federal government to turn states and localities into enforcement agents.

ICE would still be the enforcement agent, though; it would merely be incumbent on localities to cooperate with the federal government in this matter.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 07:48:07 PM »

The 10th amendment says that the states have power to pass any law they want unless that power is given to the federal government or that state action is prohibited by the constitution .

Immigration is clearly a power given to the federal government which means sanctuary cities are unconstitutional  . On that same note though the Arizona law is also unconstitutional.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 10:35:55 PM »

At the same time, it empowers local law enforcement to solve crimes within the immigrant community without people having to worry their mothers might get deported if they want to help.

Agree strongly with both of these.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies