Why would anybody even want to be Secretary of State in Trump administration?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:09:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why would anybody even want to be Secretary of State in Trump administration?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why would anybody even want to be Secretary of State in Trump administration?  (Read 496 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2016, 04:04:56 PM »

Why would anybody even want to be Secretary of State in the Trump administration?

Seeing Trump's actions on global issues since the election, I believe any Secretary of State would be walking a fine line and a tight rope.

Any initiatives the Secretary may take could very well be undermined by the President the next day by a tweet from the President.

The Secretary, I believe, would be in constant danger of falling into conflict with the President.

Please discuss.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 04:08:05 PM »

If it's going to be so horrible, why do you want Mittens to get the job so bad?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 04:12:55 PM »

Secretary of State is needed. Take this poll on who you think it will be here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=254084.0
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 04:16:05 PM »

Trump will conduct foreign policy by tweet. No need for a Secretary of State. Just conduct matters of war and peace by tweet!
EnglishPete

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 04:30:46 PM »

Why would anybody even want to be Secretary of State in the Trump administration?

Seeing Trump's actions on global issues since the election, I believe any Secretary of State would be walking a fine line and a tight rope.

Any initiatives the Secretary may take could very well be undermined by the President the next day by a tweet from the President.

The Secretary, I believe, would be in constant danger of falling into conflict with the President.

Please discuss.

If I can quote myself from another thread

Trump has been arguing for a fundamental change in US foreign policy. For the past 70 years the Democratic Party and the 'moderate' wing of the Republican Party have been following a foreign policy of 'spreading democracy' which finds its most aggressive forms in neo-Con 'national building' foreign policy in the middle east.

A policy of appeasing far left governments which swings between a half hearted 'containment' and full blooded 'detente', strongly opposing the kind of anti-Communist 'rollback' advocated by the like of Barry Goldwater and Trump's personal hero General Patton and successfully practiced by Ronald Reagan.

A policy of promoting international regional integration through bodies like the EU and Mercosur. This as part of a wider policy of having the US behave as the leader of in international order whose aim is to spread 'progressive' (i.e. center left) ideals throughout the world rather than have the US behave in a more Palmerstonian fashion as a nation like other nations (just bigger and more powerful)  that persues its self interest just as they do.

This set of foreign policies has been promoted not just by the Democratic Party and 'moderate' Republicans.  It is deep seated in the mindset of the permanent bureaucracy of the State Department. I am pleased that Trump is committed to changing US foreign policy in all these areas and am happy with the start he has made so far with his communications during the transition. However these changes are bound to be resisted by the permanent bureaucracy at the State Department so in order to overcome and defeat that resistance he really needs a SoS who is on the wavelength as him who would be committed to following his policies and opposing and rooting out any bureaucratic resistance.

As long as the Secretary of State is on the same wavelength as Trump in these policy areas then any policy initiatives he or she makes are not going to be of the kind that would be undermined by Trump. That's why I think Dana Rohrabacher would be great for the role and why a neoCon like Romney would be terrible.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 06:10:07 PM »

The same reasons people rush into burning buildings or dive into dangerous water to try and rescue people. A mix of honest desire to help those facing dire danger, and maybe some desire to be a hero, and sometimes the thrill of it.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 07:20:20 PM »

I no longer believe Romney should take the job.

I believe whoever gets the post will be on a collision course eventually with Trump, unless the Secretary is a complete yes man or yes woman.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 07:25:30 PM »

I believe whoever gets the post will be on a collision course eventually with Trump, unless the Secretary is a complete yes man or yes woman.

This applies to the entire Trump Cabinet. Dude, the man is incapable of accepting dissent of any kind.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 07:27:15 PM »

This applies to the entire Trump Cabinet. Dude, the man is incapable of accepting dissent of any kind.

But is he smart enough to recognize it without having his face shoved in it? Someone who fawned and flattered Trump and then actually did whatever they wanted might go far in the Pussygrabber Administration.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 07:35:07 PM »

But is he smart enough to recognize it without having his face shoved in it? Someone who fawned and flattered Trump and then actually did whatever they wanted might go far in the Pussygrabber Administration.

Hard to say. Fawning and flattery goes a long way to assuage his insecure tiny hands. The campaign flattered him endlessly.

It's probable that they could manipulate him that way.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 07:40:36 PM »

For sure Mitt Romney will not be picked for the job.

As far as I'm concerned, Mitt will be far better off not working in the Trump administration. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies