Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2017, 12:17:24 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Be sure to enable your "Ultimate Profile" for even more goodies on your profile page!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
| | |-+  Should the US have mandatory voting?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Poll
Question: Should the US have mandatory voting?
No   -75 (54.3%)
Yes   -14 (10.1%)
Yes, but only if there is a "none of the above" option.   -18 (13%)
Yes, but only if voting is made easier.   -14 (10.1%)
Options 3 & 4   -15 (10.9%)
Yes, but only if some other requirement is fulfilled.   -2 (1.4%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 138

Author Topic: Should the US have mandatory voting?  (Read 6209 times)
Intell
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.39

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 07:44:35 am »
Ignore

No.  Absolutely not.  Terrible idea.

Citizens being herded into voting booths simply does not fit in with the land of the free home of the brave concept.

Yea, not what happens.

emailking
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2017, 10:41:53 am »
Ignore

I think yes but:

1. You can cast blank on any race or even for the entire ballot.
2. Voting lasts an entire week, 7 to 7 each day (for major elections). Taxes increase if necessary to make that possible.
3. You can vote absentee without having to provide an excuse.
4. Penalty for not voting is a modest fine.
5. Not applicable to primaries or minor elections.
Wisniewski for Governor
CunningStunts

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2017, 01:14:54 pm »
Ignore

Never. If you just make it easier to vote, there will be higher turnout.
Hammy
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 10:57:40 pm »
Ignore

There should be a tax credit for voting and a tax penalty for not voting IMO

How would that be different than a poll tax, the kind used in the Jim Crow South, except in reverse.

The comparison literally makes no sense as the issue with a poll tax was that it put a financial requirement for voter eligibility--this would in no way restrict voting access.

click to read my comics.
Acting Southern Delegate The Saint
TheSaint250
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2017, 06:25:56 pm »
Ignore

Make Election Day a public holiday, or move it to the weekend.

Moderate Republican

#NeverBernie

Plate
Rookie
United States

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2017, 06:04:26 pm »
Ignore

No, we have the right to vote, not requirement to vote.

In my opinion, it is our duty to vote, we can't be forced to. However, if someone shames you for not voting in a presidential election, they're somewhat justified.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 06:27:53 pm by Plate »Logged

Political Matrix Results: 6.39 (Economic) 6.87 (Social)
Different Republican
View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2017, 05:55:33 pm »
Ignore

No... Horrible idea.
Acting Southern Delegate The Saint
TheSaint250
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2017, 07:20:29 pm »
Ignore

Wow I thought this was a new thread so I saw the post where I quoted someone and almost quoted it again not realizing it was me

Moderate Republican

#NeverBernie

Libertarian-Leaning Progressive
canis

Political Matrix
E: -5.74, S: -8.61

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2017, 09:21:18 pm »
Ignore

Id probably just have a small fine for not voting  to increase turnout but for low income house holds no fine 

Endorsements
VA Governor Ralph Northam
NJ Governor Phil Murphy
CA Governor Gavin Newsom
AL Senate Doug Jones
2020 Presidential Al Franken, Elizabeth Warren and Steve Bullock
Dmitri Covasku
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -7.00

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2017, 11:12:01 am »
Ignore

This sounds like a bad idea. Forcing people to vote is a violation of their rights.

Golden Civic: Pragmatic Libertarian.
Author soon-to-be
My Word: Indubitably
Zurkerx
MB
MB298
United States

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2017, 12:11:10 am »
Ignore

I think we should mail every voter a ballot whether they take the time to fill it out and return it is their choice.

I'm still feeling the Bern.

Diehard left-libertarian.

ENDORSEMENTS
AL-Gov: Walter Maddox (D)
CA-Gov: John Cox (R)
FL-Gov: John Morgan (D)
MD-Gov: Ben Jealous (D)/Larry Hogan (R)
NJ-Gov: Seth Kaper-Dale (G)
OK-Gov: Gary Richardson (R)
OR-Gov: Kate Brown (D)

AL-Sen: Doug Jones (D)
NV-Sen: Jesse Sbaih (D)
TX-Sen: Beto O'Rourke (D)
VT-Sen: Bernie Sanders (I)
Lord Wreath
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 8.92, S: -4.51

P
View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2017, 02:35:54 am »
Ignore

No, you just end up forcing people to participate in something they wan't no part in. People should have the right to do as they please - that's what's called freedom.
Virginia
Virginia C
Moderators
YaBB God
Antarctica

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 03:57:24 pm »
Ignore

I wouldn't mind a system where people are forced to turn in a ballot, whether in person or by mail. They don't have to fill it out, but they have to turn it in or get a fine. The idea here would be that most people would just go ahead and fill it out anyway. We might be able to get actual turnout (excluding empty ballots) up to around 75% - 80% that way, which is pretty satisfactory. I don't see a fundamental violation of our rights in that (though it is probably not constitutional), as no one is forced to actually cast a vote.

At the very least, we need to have same day/automatic voter registration, county-wide polling places, closing times at no earlier than 8, two weeks at least of early voting, permanent no-excuse absentee voting and a prohibition of photo ID laws unless proven necessary (there are better ways to prevent in-person fraud than photo IDs, which reduce young/minority turnout). There is no good reason we can't do those things, and the reason we haven't in so many areas is because of pure partisanship and the desire to win above everything else.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 04:00:49 pm by Virginia »Logged

Lord Wreath
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 8.92, S: -4.51

P
View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2017, 05:26:50 pm »
Ignore

I wouldn't mind a system where people are forced to turn in a ballot, whether in person or by mail. They don't have to fill it out, but they have to turn it in or get a fine. The idea here would be that most people would just go ahead and fill it out anyway. We might be able to get actual turnout (excluding empty ballots) up to around 75% - 80% that way, which is pretty satisfactory. I don't see a fundamental violation of our rights in that (though it is probably not constitutional), as no one is forced to actually cast a vote.

At the very least, we need to have same day/automatic voter registration, county-wide polling places, closing times at no earlier than 8, two weeks at least of early voting, permanent no-excuse absentee voting and a prohibition of photo ID laws unless proven necessary (there are better ways to prevent in-person fraud than photo IDs, which reduce young/minority turnout). There is no good reason we can't do those things, and the reason we haven't in so many areas is because of pure partisanship and the desire to win above everything else.
Really? You don't see a problem with fining people for not turning in a piece of paper, many of which will be blank anyway? That's borderline coercion IMO. Just because the goal is laudible, doesn't justify the use of force; that's exactly what a fine is.

All I can say is the mandatory voting that we have in Australia forcibly enfranchises the apathetic, a lot of whom will make their decisions as they stroll to the polling both or even as they're actually in the booth. Think about it. Do you really want the disinterested to vote?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:30:39 pm by Lord Wreath »Logged
Virginia
Virginia C
Moderators
YaBB God
Antarctica

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2017, 08:04:14 pm »
Ignore

All I can say is the mandatory voting that we have in Australia forcibly enfranchises the apathetic, a lot of whom will make their decisions as they stroll to the polling both or even as they're actually in the booth. Think about it. Do you really want the disinterested to vote?

I'm still somewhat undecided on the practice even if I don't mind the idea, but it's a moot point anyway, it'll never happen in the US. Given how partisan even the most basic election law changes are, there is no way there would ever be enough support for mandatory voting. If Democrats did try to do that, there would probably be a massive backlash. However, I still stand by this:

These are common sense changes that are pro-voter access but not reckless nor offensive to one's rights, and given how gracious Republicans have been to blanket the country with voting restrictions since Obama was elected, I'm hoping Democrats will ram through any/all of those changes the second it is possible, with or without GOP support.

AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.78

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2017, 10:29:51 pm »
Ignore

Obviously no.  First, from a practical standpoint, enforcement would be a nightmare and it's difficult to imagine a greater waste of funding than that.  Second, I'm not sure under what constitutional power any federal law could be enacted.  Elections are largely run at the state and local level.  Maybe at the local level it would be less susceptible to constitutional challenge.

Finally, I find it odd that people, especially on the left, would suggest a penalty or fine.  Particularly when the people most likely to forget to show up, fail to register, can't get off work, etc., are low income and minority demographics.  How unbelievably patronizing.

Veteran, Attorney, Nationalist, Apatheist, Pragmatist, Realist (foreign policy), NY native, votes D and R with roughly equal frequency.

Favorite political book: Dalrymple's superb Life at the Bottom.

My definitive map of US Regions.

Tinder Time with Tilden
Spark498
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.22

P P P
View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2017, 10:45:47 pm »
Ignore

Voting is a privilege and right. You should want to participate and the government shouldn't force you to do anything against your will. That is not democracy.

President: Trump

Political Spectrum:
Economic: +1.47 (Centrist)
Social: 0.14 (Libertarian)
Foreign Policy: 4.52 (Neo-Con)
Cultural: 5.91 (Conservative)
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout