Should California be allowed to secede from the union?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:44:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should California be allowed to secede from the union?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ....
Yes (D)
No (D)
Yes (R)
No (R)
Yes (I/O)
No (I/O)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Should California be allowed to secede from the union?  (Read 4570 times)
Make My Bank Account Great Again
KingCharles
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2016, 12:56:19 AM »

No. The American civil war settled this.

America is like the mafia. Once you're in, you're in. There's no getting out.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2016, 01:07:13 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2016, 01:09:06 AM by Senator Scott »

Ironically the US GDP would plummet if California left. I doubt very much we would let the blue states secede because the red states are - how to gently put this? - uneducated and less productive compared to the bluer states.

Basically axe NY, CA, and IL and the US would go from a super economy to a second rate one. 

Turn off CA's water from other western states and watch its legendary agricultural sector crater overnight. Independent CA is going to be in for a rough time without Coloradan water.

I'm not sure why state independence would preclude states from trading or cooperating with each other on agriculture, infrastructure, etc.

I could see a dissolved union working in a similar fashion to the EU.  (Whether America would do a better job at maintaining such a system than the Europeans is a huge question mark, of course.)

No. The American civil war settled this.

America is like the mafia. Once you're in, you're in. There's no getting out.

Because that's always the best and most ethical approach to anything. Roll Eyes
Make My Bank Account Great Again
KingCharles
Rookie
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2016, 01:46:21 AM »

Because that's always the best and most ethical approach to anything. Roll Eyes

It's the way our country works, ethical or not. If Californians want to secede they should just move to another country.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2016, 02:06:27 AM »

Ironically the US GDP would plummet if California left. I doubt very much we would let the blue states secede because the red states are - how to gently put this? - uneducated and less productive compared to the bluer states.

Basically axe NY, CA, and IL and the US would go from a super economy to a second rate one. 

Turn off CA's water from other western states and watch its legendary agricultural sector crater overnight. Independent CA is going to be in for a rough time without Coloradan water.

Meh, there's plenty of water in Northern California. We just don't want to dam the Klamath, and want to protect our pretty little fishes and crap.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2016, 02:20:10 AM »

Suddenly a massive Chinese fleet appears off the coast of SF and LA. It appears that the Chairman of the Dragon Party (revanchist ultranationalists who rose up after the downfall of the PRC) has found an easy target to bolster his legitimacy. What do you do?
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2016, 05:51:44 AM »

No. Im sure there will be another Democratic President, lmao.

And surely if such a thing happened, god forbid, Californians would happy to let go of the GOP majority counties in the North and Inland Empire to the USA in the spirit of popular sovereignty? Leaving it with just the coastline.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2016, 10:53:39 AM »

The argument should be for more federalism, not secession. Ironically, a more federalist country with more power devolved to the states would probably depolarize the country too
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2016, 12:07:40 PM »

No, but I wish those in Hollywood who said they're leaving if Trump got elected would leave the U.S. immediately.
vtred
Rookie

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2016, 12:11:19 PM »

No, but I wish those in Hollywood who said they're leaving if Trump got elected would leave the U.S. immediately.

And they always say they are going to Canada...Mexico is much closer no?...sounds racist to me.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2016, 12:53:14 PM »

If the people of California want to leave, it's morally wrong to do force them not to.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2016, 01:00:58 PM »

If the people of California want to leave, it's morally wrong to do force them not to.

This encapsulates my view, though I certainly hope that my state does not choose to secede.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2016, 03:49:34 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2016, 03:52:33 PM by Senator Scott »

I'm all for succession...fly over America routinely insults CA and conservatives use it as an insult despite the enormous economic output it gives to the rest of the country.

The hatred is mutual, in actuality.  And I find myself in a strange place agreeing with conservatives and Trumpites that we are, indeed, "at war."  Think about it.  Different factions of the country totally despise each other.  We have literal militias forming in some states.  Blood is being shed by people fighting for control of their own water supply.  Separatism in the country hasn't been this popular in decades, and the irony to this is that separatism is the only value these these numerous factions share now.  All the while we have a militarized police force and increasing gun ownership rates.  If all this were taking place in the Middle East or southern Europe, the UN would have split everything up by now.  America is going to look like Yugoslavia in ten years.

I have ancestors who fought for this country's independence as well as ancestors who fought to keep the union together (and suppress the KKK).  I understand why people wouldn't want the US to split up, but the supposed willingness of some to preserve this failed experiment at whatever cost, in this era, kind of baffles me, really.  I find it disgusting.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2016, 04:22:42 PM »

No, we went over this in the 1860's.
(Normal).
Rooney
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2016, 04:26:48 PM »

If the people of California honestly believe that derive no benefit from union with the United States I see no reason why not. However, due to the fact that they do benefit from the union I would doubt that the people of that state would choose to leave.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2016, 09:12:18 AM »

Are you yes people insane?  What a slap in the face to everyone who has fought for this country over the past 3 centuries.

Contrary to the war that started in 1775? How do reconcile that view with that of our Founders? We should all take note of Thomas Jefferson's support for the right of a people for self-determination. As for the Civil War, that only settled the issue of unilateral secession where the two sides were in extreme disagreement. We live in the 21st century, where things are handled differently as opposed to 150 year ago. War does not arise from disagreements in first world nations today, although failed independence movements in Quebec and Scotland make the issue hard to figure out in the modern age.

I don't support unilateral secession. If a state were to secede, I think it should require the approval of Congress. If the people of a state made that decision through a referendum, Congress should abide by it and establish a process through which that will is fulfilled. There's nothing that says the process cannot be amicable and supportive of a new relationship, one that minimizes any hardships to either side such as trade and other agreements (California gets water, but everyone else gets what California grows).

Right now, I would certainly like to vote for California's independence, but I don't think it's a good idea to make such a decision when the wounds are still raw. However, I think it should be on the table for serious consideration.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2016, 09:34:14 AM »

I don't think they should, but that's mostly because it would screw over the other blue states.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2016, 10:01:54 AM »

I hope Alta California now sees light and rejoins the motherland!
Cashew
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2016, 11:34:31 AM »

Yes, although what really gets me worked up is not Trump, but how insignificant California is in the senate, and how complacent Californians are about their votes mattering less.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2016, 04:27:28 PM »

I'm all for succession...fly over America routinely insults CA and conservatives use it as an insult despite the enormous economic output it gives to the rest of the country.

The hatred is mutual, in actuality.  And I find myself in a strange place agreeing with conservatives and Trumpites that we are, indeed, "at war."  Think about it.  Different factions of the country totally despise each other.  We have literal militias forming in some states.  Blood is being shed by people fighting for control of their own water supply.  Separatism in the country hasn't been this popular in decades, and the irony to this is that separatism is the only value these these numerous factions share now.  All the while we have a militarized police force and increasing gun ownership rates.  If all this were taking place in the Middle East or southern Europe, the UN would have split everything up by now.  America is going to look like Yugoslavia in ten years.

I have ancestors who fought for this country's independence as well as ancestors who fought to keep the union together (and suppress the KKK).  I understand why people wouldn't want the US to split up, but the supposed willingness of some to preserve this failed experiment at whatever cost, in this era, kind of baffles me, really.  I find it disgusting.

You're hugely overdramatic here. The situation is not that bad, and was worse before. Yes, the US is polarized, but not nearly as much as many other nations. I can tell you that Israel is probably more polarized. Do you think Europe is not strongly polarized? Furthermore, would you prefer to be "unpolarized" like Russia and China? The US has been an important world power and a strong economy  for hundreds of years. It's the cultural and economic center of the world. It has many flaws, but it's NOT a failed experiment, and a globally uneasy era shouldn't make you lose hope so quickly. Look at recent achievements, like same sex marriage. A few years ago, did you imagine that virtually all liberals and moderates, as well as many conservatives (you can't argue that Rob Portman is not staunchly conservative), would've supported such a thing?

And as for the question, absolutely not. It would devastate American economy and cause the downfall of the US by a domino effect. Please don't leave us with Russia or China as superpowers, because that would mean a very dark age.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2016, 04:31:37 PM »

Jerry Brown should give Trump an ultimatum: Abolish the Senate or we secede.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2016, 06:43:22 PM »

Suddenly a massive Chinese fleet appears off the coast of SF and LA. It appears that the Chairman of the Dragon Party (revanchist ultranationalists who rose up after the downfall of the PRC) has found an easy target to bolster his legitimacy. What do you do?

Why worry about fictional fascists on the other side of the Pacific who might oppress them in some imaginary future, when they have real ones here in the United States promising similar things?
Mike67
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2016, 06:55:40 PM »

If California wants to leave they should be allowed to leave. So should any other State or States that want to leave.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2016, 07:01:37 PM »

Yes it should be allowed, but one should be very careful with granting this right. There were very good reasons why secession was opposed the last time, and some of those reasons are still very relevant.

wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2016, 06:03:56 PM »

No! 
To secede over one election is so idiotic.  Then they'll want to come back in when the Democrats are back in power.
Mike67
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2016, 08:17:09 PM »

No! 
To secede over one election is so idiotic.  Then they'll want to come back in when the Democrats are back in power.

I have a feeling that if California seceded that they would wind up one of the States of Mexico.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies