Florida's redistricting was a complete Success in EVERY regard
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:19:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Florida's redistricting was a complete Success in EVERY regard
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Florida's redistricting was a complete Success in EVERY regard  (Read 2391 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2016, 09:23:03 PM »
« edited: December 05, 2016, 09:25:04 PM by AKCreative »

Clinton won 13 districts to Trump's 14,  which almost precisely reflects the statewide vote (as close as you possibly can),  and the old congressional district map had Trump winning 16 districts to Clinton's 11.  

But even taking it a step further,  despite some saying Orlando would elect "two white liberals" due to how the districts were drawn....Val Demings (African American) was elected to FL-10 and Darren Soto (Puerto Rican) was elected to FL-9.

AND to top it all off, FL-9 elected another African American, Al Lawson, with ease.   Which proves that the north-south district was never needed to begin with.

Every single positive outcome that the plaintiff's said would happen did...and every negative outcome the FL Republicans (and some blue avatars here) said would happen ....didn't at all.

How can this possibly not be used in future court rulings to show how much partisan gerrymandering inhibits the free speech of voters?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 10:37:15 PM »

Clinton won 13 districts to Trump's 14,  which almost precisely reflects the statewide vote (as close as you possibly can),  and the old congressional district map had Trump winning 16 districts to Clinton's 11.  

But even taking it a step further,  despite some saying Orlando would elect "two white liberals" due to how the districts were drawn....Val Demings (African American) was elected to FL-10 and Darren Soto (Puerto Rican) was elected to FL-9.

AND to top it all off, FL-9 elected another African American, Al Lawson, with ease.   Which proves that the north-south district was never needed to begin with.

Every single positive outcome that the plaintiff's said would happen did...and every negative outcome the FL Republicans (and some blue avatars here) said would happen ....didn't at all.

FL-13 and FL-7 flipped.
dpmapper
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 10:38:58 PM »

\
How can this possibly not be used in future court rulings to show how much partisan gerrymandering inhibits the free speech of voters?

Because only a tortured reading of "free speech" interprets it as being relevant to the issue of drawing electoral boundaries?  

I'm anti-gerrymandering but I'm also against redefining constitutional terminology for the sake of winning a political argument.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 10:47:09 PM »

\

Because only a tortured reading of "free speech" interprets it as being relevant to the issue of drawing electoral boundaries?  

I'm anti-gerrymandering but I'm also against redefining constitutional terminology for the sake of winning a political argument.

Okay, do you believe Corporations are people and money is speech via Citizens United?   Because that's another national precedent set by the Supreme Court.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 10:47:38 PM »

That would go along with this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
dpmapper
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 11:09:34 PM »

\

Okay, do you believe Corporations are people and money is speech via Citizens United?   Because that's another national precedent set by the Supreme Court.

Restricting what means you may use to exercise your ACTUAL free speech rights is a restriction of your free speech rights.  That's not torturing any 1stAmd definition of what speech is or is not. 

And corporation, defined: "group of people authorized to act as a single entity and recognized as such in law."

muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 12:13:21 AM »

\

The majority opinion in Citizens United never said corporations are people. The closest it came is probably this quote "Corporations, like individuals, do not have monolithic views." The idea that you reference is better attributed to comments made by Justice Stevens in dissent, though he doesn't exactly say that either - he says that corporate speech should be distinguished from individual speech, "In the context of election to public office, the distinction between corporate and human speakers is significant." The statement that money is speech is not from Citizens United other than it quotes from Buckley v Valeo (1976). It amazes me still that this meme continues to flourish.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 02:17:33 AM »

Dude, California already has nonpartisan redistricting. Could you be any less covert about calling for unilateral disarmament.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 03:59:32 AM »

What bad would come if Orlando would really elect "two white liberals"Huh?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 04:30:25 AM »

Florida House: R 79; D 41
Florida Senate: R 25; D 15

Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 01:33:19 PM »

California and Maryland next please.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 01:44:47 PM »

California is already a fairly drawn map. Just doesn't help that the California GOP is cratering.

Maryland you could easily draw a fair looking 8-0 Democratic gerrymander.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 01:53:44 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2016, 02:01:03 PM by Gass3268 »

Hmmm... how much authority does Hofan have over state court appointments?  

He can appoint, but the State Senate can block:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Current Court Make-Up:

Robert Ehrlich 1
Martin J. O'Malley 4
Larry Hogan 2
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 02:36:29 PM »

California is already fair,  if anything Republicans are over represented currently (going by Hillary's numbers).    A GOP gerrymander isn't "fair" just because it's the most common type of map in the country.

Maryland's map was mostly drawn for incumbent protection,  but if it means fair maps throughout the rest of the country I say the Dems gladly give away that 1 western seat.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 05:24:20 PM »

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 07:25:52 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2016, 07:28:55 PM by AKCreative »

\

Okay, do you believe Corporations are people and money is speech via Citizens United?   Because that's another national precedent set by the Supreme Court.

The majority opinion in Citizens United never said corporations are people. The closest it came is probably this quote "Corporations, like individuals, do not have monolithic views." The idea that you reference is better attributed to comments made by Justice Stevens in dissent, though he doesn't exactly say that either - he says that corporate speech should be distinguished from individual speech, "In the context of election to public office, the distinction between corporate and human speakers is significant." The statement that money is speech is not from Citizens United other than it quotes from Buckley v Valeo (1976). It amazes me still that this meme continues to flourish.

Of course they don't come out into the open and declare corporations people or money as speech....the entire premise of the ruling relies on corporations having first amendment rights to begin with (which is largely what Steven's dissent is saying).   That's how the corporations are people "meme" is true.

In fact it's become truer than ever nowadays with the Hobby Lobby ruling and other "Corporation's civil rights" arguments ever since.   The Roberts court really goes out of it's way too look out for those poor little guys.  
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 08:16:49 PM »

A fair Maryland map would only earn the Republicans one more seat. I suppose there could be a third seat that'd be more Lean D than Safe D but don't bet on winning it.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 08:23:53 PM »

California is already a fairly drawn map. Just doesn't help that the California GOP is cratering.

Eh, I'm not sure there's any way to "Democratify" the Eastern shore without explicit gerrymandering.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 09:12:26 PM »

Eh, I'm not sure there's any way to "Democratify" the Eastern shore without explicit gerrymandering.

I said "fair looking," the map below doesn't "look" that bad.

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 09:38:57 PM »

^ Yeah, but isn't that only contiguous through some odd land bridge or something? Honestly that is a pretty blatant gerrymander.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 11:58:05 PM »

^ LA-01 has been contiguous by a bridge for several decades, and it's a good CoI.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 09:35:37 AM »

^ Yeah, but isn't that only contiguous through some odd land bridge or something? Honestly that is a pretty blatant gerrymander.

Chesapeak Bay Bridge

All I said is that you can make a much cleaner looking map that's 8-0 and it doesn't even split up the Eastern Shore, unless you think Cecil County is a pivotal piece of the Shore (even though it is part of the Philadelphia metro area). Democrats really chickened out in going all out, but opened themselves up to massive criticism when you have monstrosities like MD-03.   
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2016, 09:51:35 AM »

People like to call out odd shaped districts like MD-3, MD-7, IL-4, or IL-7 as partisan gerrymandering...but it really isn't at all, it's usually done either for grouping people together (hispanics and blacks) or just silly incumbent protection districts.   Neither of which really helps the "democrats" as whole in any meaningful way.

I've seen Republicans call out IL-4 more times than I can count, but no matter how you draw that district I completely guarantee you it will still be heavily Democratic.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 11:57:02 AM »

People like to call out odd shaped districts like MD-3, MD-7, IL-4, or IL-7 as partisan gerrymandering...but it really isn't at all, it's usually done either for grouping people together (hispanics and blacks) or just silly incumbent protection districts.   Neither of which really helps the "democrats" as whole in any meaningful way.

I've seen Republicans call out IL-4 more times than I can count, but no matter how you draw that district I completely guarantee you it will still be heavily Democratic.

Correct. IL-4 and 7 are legacies of the 1991 map to accommodate botha Latino and black CD on the west side of Chicago. They could have been drawn differently this cycle and looked less gerrymandered, but the incumbents preferred districts that were substantially the same as they have had for 20 years.  IL-1 and 2 were gerrymandered much further out to accommodate incumbents as well, since 3 black-majority CDs were no longer required under the VRA. The significant Dem gerrymanders were IL-5, 8 and 11 with Pub packs into IL-6 and 14.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2016, 03:51:52 PM »

MD-07 about the way its drawn is required, MD-03 is a monstrosity that is not needed under any circumstance, including a 8-0 Demmander.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies