Do you have any regrets?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:17:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Do you have any regrets?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Do you have any regrets?  (Read 5117 times)
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2016, 11:57:25 PM »

"I shouldn't have supported Clinton in the primaries" or "I should have bet on Trump" or "I should've volunteered"
Kolip1
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 11:58:29 PM »

NO, IM FOR HILLARY she WILL be GREAT PRESIDENT!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 12:13:56 AM »

Yes.

I regret that Trump did not win New Hampshire and Minnesota.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 12:17:27 AM »

Of course.  I regret that we didn't nominate Rubio, Cruz, or Walker because the fact that Clinton somehow even managed to lose to Trump shows that any Republican would have won this year.  We could have had the next Reagan, perhaps someone even more conservative than The Gipper.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 12:22:57 AM »

No.

First of all I'm still glad Bernie didn't win the primaries because too many his followers were nuts. A lot of them weren't even progressive except on the surface, they were simply attracted to Bernie-as-alternative-to-Hillary and Bernie-the-personality. In a way, they were just as insane as the Trump supporters. They were even more prone to conspiracy theories than Trump supporters, if anything. Had he won, we would have had a surface progressivism hiding regressivism beneath the surface. Also, the progressivism of 2015/2016 was not appealing to me -- actually, I was getting pushed to the right by the SJW nonsense. It seems like the lesser threat now, but when I read an article attacking empathy, I'm reminded of it again.

Secondly, the campaign may have f__ed up the GE, but I didn't.

I said from the convention onward that Hillary should be laser focused on white working class voters in the Midwest, because that's where most Electoral Votes were. I didn't agree with the Kaine pick. I didn't agree with the lineup of speaks at the DNC. I said Hillary shouldn't campaign on gun control. None of my views were followed by the campaign and on all of them, I feel vindicated over the campaign. Post DNC leaks, I suggested handing the nomination to Bernie at the Convention. That would have ensured our strongest possible candidate in the GE, while preserving the humbling loss of the Bernie Bros in the actual process.

I never got overconfident. I was always worried, and pointed out Ohio, as a trouble spot early on. I'm fully satisfied with my efforts -- I volunteered at every opportunity I had from the convention until election day. I donated, canvassed, and phone banked. I researched Hillary's positions, and tried to tell them to people I knew. In my personal persuasion while volunteering, I tried as much as possible to focus on positive things about Hillary, especially her economic policy stances, rather than making negative comments about Trump. I did everything. I even went above and beyond. I volunteered in a state (Pennsylvania) that turned out to be one of the close ones. I also did some betting on prediction markets and made money there (on net).

Finally, I never looked down on white working class voters, or felt contemptuous of them. I have always felt the Democrats should try to include them in our coalition.

Basically, on the whole I am totally satisfied with my positions and efforts over the campaign. The only thing I regret is the end result, but this was out of my control.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 12:24:31 AM »

I don't think this election was betting worthy. 2012 was though.
Panda Express

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 12:37:42 AM »

I bet Biden has regrets.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 12:38:33 AM »

I regret supporting Hillary, we should have let Biden get in or rolled the dice on Sanders. And I also regret betting against Trump. One thing I don't regret was trying to get Kasich to drop out so Trump could be defeated in the primaries. I only wish I could have done more. I also should have taken Trump seriously before after the Nevada caucuses.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 07:05:14 AM »

No.

First of all I'm still glad Bernie didn't win the primaries because too many his followers were nuts. A lot of them weren't even progressive except on the surface, they were simply attracted to Bernie-as-alternative-to-Hillary and Bernie-the-personality. In a way, they were just as insane as the Trump supporters. They were even more prone to conspiracy theories than Trump supporters, if anything. Had he won, we would have had a surface progressivism hiding regressivism beneath the surface. Also, the progressivism of 2015/2016 was not appealing to me -- actually, I was getting pushed to the right by the SJW nonsense. It seems like the lesser threat now, but when I read an article attacking empathy, I'm reminded of it again.

I said from the convention onward that Hillary should be laser focused on white working class voters in the Midwest, because that's where most Electoral Votes were. I didn't agree with the Kaine pick. I didn't agree with the lineup of speaks at the DNC. I said Hillary shouldn't campaign on gun control. None of my views were followed by the campaign and on all of them, I feel vindicated over the campaign. Post DNC leaks, I suggested handing the nomination to Bernie at the Convention. That would have ensured our strongest possible candidate in the GE, while preserving the humbling loss of the Bernie Bros in the actual process.

I never got overconfident. I was always worried, and pointed out Ohio, as a trouble spot early on. I'm fully satisfied with my efforts -- I volunteered at every opportunity I had from the convention until election day. I donated, canvassed, and phone banked. I researched Hillary's positions, and tried to tell them to people I knew. In my personal persuasion while volunteering, I tried as much as possible to focus on positive things about Hillary, especially her economic policy stances, rather than making negative comments about Trump. I did everything. I even went above and beyond. I volunteered in a state (Pennsylvania) that turned out to be one of the close ones. I also did some betting on prediction markets and made money there (on net).

Finally, I never looked down on white working class voters, or felt contemptuous of them. I have always felt the Democrats should try to include them in our coalition.

Basically, on the whole I am totally satisfied with my positions and efforts over the campaign. The only thing I regret is the end result, but this was out of my control.

Congrats on the amount of effort you put in & how you were involved - That is commendable & also the fact that you focused on inclusive positive message during your campaigning is also praiseworthy!
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 07:12:25 AM »

No.

Congrats on the amount of effort you put in & how you were involved - That is commendable & also the fact that you focused on inclusive positive message during your campaigning is also praiseworthy!

I hope this comes to pass.  The WWC needs a Democratic Party in their corner.  The folks running the ship over there have no idea how offensive they are to the folks that should have been their primary constituency over time.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 07:17:05 AM »

No.

I hope this comes to pass.  The WWC needs a Democratic Party in their corner.  The folks running the ship over there have no idea how offensive they are to the folks that should have been their primary constituency over time.
> tacitly admitting republicans aren't actually in the "white working class"'s corner

👍
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 08:31:13 AM »

I regret voting for Clinton in the primary. She really was a terrible candidate for this cycle.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 08:54:09 AM »

I regret not putting all of my money on Trump to win Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania on PredictIt.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 09:07:29 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2016, 10:01:23 AM by Meclazine »

I regret nothing.

Watching CNN fall flat on their face with their pro-Hillary power stories was worth the entry price alone.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 10:35:13 AM »

I regret supporting Hillary, should have took a chance with Bernie.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 11:06:07 AM »

I wonder if Obama now regrets nominating her as Secretary of State.
vtred
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 11:10:45 AM »

I regret not having a Republican to vote for...
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 02:49:47 PM »

I regret that I and others were too scared to vociferously defend Hillary in public during the primaries. We let the brogressives intimidate us, which fed into a false narrative that Hillary had no enthusiasm. If the enthusiasm was more "out there," a feminist movement could have grown.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 02:53:54 PM »

I don't regret that I voted for Hillary, but I regret that our party put me in a position where I, a lifelong Republican, felt I had to do so to allow my voice to be heard.  Didn't work or anything, but in the voting booth I felt like I couldn't vote for my party's nominee, and that was a pretty sad moment.  Especially because I do believe in the party.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 03:20:53 PM »

Nope. I didn't have to violate my conscience by voting for Trump and yet the Supreme court is probably safe in spite of my vote. Im ok with that outcome.
Make My Bank Account Great Again
KingCharles
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 05:45:35 PM »

I regret that I and others were too scared to vociferously defend Hillary in public during the primaries. We let the brogressives intimidate us, which fed into a false narrative that Hillary had no enthusiasm. If the enthusiasm was more "out there," a feminist movement could have grown.

This was a huge difference between the tactics of Trump vs Hillary supporters. Many Hillary supporters, including myself, argued that she was better than Trump no matter how bad the public perceived her to be. Trump supporters argued that the media was rigged and that Trump was fan-f**king-tastic no matter what was hurled at him.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 05:47:05 PM »

I feel that I made the best possible choices throughout the cycle, so I don't have any regrets.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 05:48:58 PM »

Voting for Kasich was pointless. I should've voted for Sanders.
PresidentSamTilden

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2016, 06:08:44 PM »

I wish I let myself see how the close the race really was. There was a certain complacency that got built in at the end. We set ourselves up for the letdown of a lifetime...the information was there, but most of us didn't want to believe it. Those democrats who sounded the alarm (andrea beaumont and Hagrid for starters) were laughed off, but in the end, they were right. My apologies.

Do I regret supporting, voting for, and volunteering for HRC? Pfft, yeah right...Enjoy our ignorant, unqualified, white supremacist president, America. You did it to yourself.

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2016, 07:24:23 PM »

I wish I let myself see how the close the race really was. There was a certain complacency that got built in at the end. We set ourselves up for the letdown of a lifetime...the information was there, but most of us didn't want to believe it. Those democrats who sounded the alarm (andrea beaumont and Hagrid for starters) were laughed off, but in the end, they were right. My apologies.

Do I regret supporting, voting for, and volunteering for HRC? Pfft, yeah right...Enjoy our ignorant, unqualified, white supremacist president, America. You did it to yourself.

I appreciate you giving me credit for being a worrywart, but my worrying wasn't based on any special insight I had. I never put two and two together that the working-class white vote in the Rust Belt would totally collapse. I just saw in the polls that there was reason to take caution. And... I never felt in my heart that she'd actually lose. Though the Comey surprise definitely scared me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies