Do you have any regrets?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:13:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Do you have any regrets?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Do you have any regrets?  (Read 5129 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2016, 10:25:09 AM »

I regret that I and others were too scared to vociferously defend Hillary in public during the primaries. We let the brogressives intimidate us, which fed into a false narrative that Hillary had no enthusiasm. If the enthusiasm was more "out there," a feminist movement could have grown.

This was a huge difference between the tactics of Trump vs Hillary supporters. Many Hillary supporters, including myself, argued that she was better than Trump no matter how bad the public perceived her to be. Trump supporters argued that the media was rigged and that Trump was fan-f**king-tastic no matter what was hurled at him.

Maybe his most vocal supporters, but that clearly doesn't describe most of his voters ... or he would not have won.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2016, 05:53:50 PM »

I guess I regret not campaigning harder for Clinton in the general. Part of me regrets voting for Sanders in the primary but I think that ultimately had a positive effect.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 10:28:41 PM »

None, I still believe Hillary would have made an excellent President. Yes, mistakes were made but other events and factors were also outside her control. I have lost faith in segments of our American electorate which might not come back to me.
mistertheplague
Rookie

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2016, 11:33:29 PM »

I regret not getting involved, to be honest. If God had come down in April and said, "As it stands right now, smug white liberal, I see Trump ahead in Pennsylvania by 44,000 votes on Nov. 8," I would have broken my ass day and night to flip those 44,000 votes -- canvassed, helped register people, helped old people get absentee ballots, driven people to the polls, stood out on City Ave. in an Uncle Sam costume, whatever. Instead, I sat on my rear end and wrote checks.

On the other hand, when I look at the county data, I'm not sure what could have been done. In Philadelphia and the collar counties, the area where I live, Clinton exceeded Obama's numbers. She even flipped Chester County, one of the whitest, richest places on planet Earth. Trump's numbers were roughly at par with or below Romney's -- except, ironically, in Philadelphia. Statewide, Trump flipped a lot of Obama voters for sure, but he also had a lot of support -- perhaps unprecedented support -- from people who never voted before in their life. How do you volunteer against that?
Fusionmunster

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2016, 11:44:01 PM »

Nope.
oraclebones
Rookie
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2016, 01:22:51 AM »

I regret that the Constitution wasn't amended to abolish the electoral college in favor of a national popular vote back in the '60s or '70s when our politics were sane enough and the will to amend the constitution strong enough to have actually accomplished such a thing.

I also regret that so few people these days know anything about the reality of governance, or the 80+ years of continual growth of executive power. Because if most people did know, I cannot imagine Trump would have been elected.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2016, 05:52:13 AM »

No regrets, but I do wish that the Hillary of 2008 would have been the one running as opposed to the Hillary of 2016. Why her campaign focused almost entirely on maximizing the minority vote and ignoring the WWC voters in the rural areas puzzles me, because the latter were her voters in 2008. I read somewhere where Bill and Ed Rendell wanted to go to these areas (rural places where she won in 2008 and where Bill won in his elections) to campaign, but the bosses in Brooklyn said no. I'm not saying that she would have won these places, but it could have made a difference. Ignoring these voters and their concerns just created a vacuum that Trump filled with his (allegedly) populist rhetoric.

I guess I was a little surprised by her naivety in thinking that black voters would turn out in record numbers for her like they did for Obama. I could have told her at the beginning of the campaign that they weren't going to for obvious reasons (since it's okay to say that now without being called a racist).

I see this election as a call for the party to return to basics of being the party for the working man. Yes, Republicans have successfully gotten these people to vote with their Bibles over their pocketbooks, but Democrats have failed at the messaging game too.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2016, 06:41:05 AM »

Voting for Kasich was pointless. I should've voted for Sanders.

I stand vindicated - Sanders doing much worse in OH when compared to IL, MO, WI & MI when Oh was also an open/semi-open state puzzled me. I think a 5% loss would be okay, but nowaways a 15%.

I remember in the election day many news channels shows Dem voters & independents going for Kasich to keep Trump out without which it would have been much closer.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2016, 01:46:52 PM »

Many, but none regarding the election.
mistertheplague
Rookie

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2016, 03:20:25 PM »

No regrets, but I do wish that the Hillary of 2008 would have been the one running as opposed to the Hillary of 2016. Why her campaign focused almost entirely on maximizing the minority vote and ignoring the WWC voters in the rural areas puzzles me, because the latter were her voters in 2008. I read somewhere where Bill and Ed Rendell wanted to go to these areas (rural places where she won in 2008 and where Bill won in his elections) to campaign, but the bosses in Brooklyn said no. I'm not saying that she would have won these places, but it could have made a difference. Ignoring these voters and their concerns just created a vacuum that Trump filled with his (allegedly) populist rhetoric.

I guess I was a little surprised by her naivety in thinking that black voters would turn out in record numbers for her like they did for Obama. I could have told her at the beginning of the campaign that they weren't going to for obvious reasons (since it's okay to say that now without being called a racist).

I see this election as a call for the party to return to basics of being the party for the working man. Yes, Republicans have successfully gotten these people to vote with their Bibles over their pocketbooks, but Democrats have failed at the messaging game too.

The Obama campaign framed Mitt Romney (with a major assist from Romney himself) as a predatory, plutocratic dick who couldn't care less what happened to working people. They pounded away at this so much even Mitt began believing it.

The Clinton campaign had a similar line of attack against Trump in late Spring/early Summer: that he ripped off his contractors, that all of his crap was made in China. They veered from this, however, and based the main thrust of their attack on his racism and misogyny.

These attacks only reinforced the convictions of Clinton voters who already thought the Trump campaign was a catastrophic clown show. They did nothing to undermine the white working class's trust in Trump, or the narrative that he was "on their side."
PregnantChad
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: -5.22

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2016, 04:50:16 PM »

I supported Sanders in the primary and waffled back and forth for a while about whether I'd show up to vote for Hillary in November.  Sometime between the (R) convention and the 1st debate, I decided to vote as I found Trump more and more revolting and ignorant.

Among my circle of real-life and social-media people, I wish I would've done more to combat the fake news and memes.  It probably had more of an effect than I realized, and I think the people forwarding that ugly garbage had their minds made up, but maybe their friends didn't.  I also shouldn't have downplayed my support for Hillary in those "ehh, they all suck" conversations; I should've spoken out more about that false equivalency.  And, if I saw the polls in neighboring PA for what they were - consistent but too close for comfort - I would've found some way of helping out.

I blew it all off thinking victory was likely (although not a certainty), and that decency would prevail.  But, we're in different times now.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2016, 05:15:06 PM »

I don't have any strong regrets. I suppose I would have focused my pro-Hillary argument when talking to Sanders voters less on electability (even though I think Sanders would have done pretty much the same as Hillary in November) and more on policies and qualifications.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2016, 10:23:59 PM »

I shouldn't have seconded guessed myself that Trump would sweep the rust belt and win. I had a hunch he would but I doubted myself.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2016, 10:17:23 PM »

I regret voting for Clinton in the primary only to the extent that she lost the general.

I don't have faith that Bernie would have won the general and I don't think he would have made a better President than Clinton.
Mike67
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2016, 10:44:19 PM »

No I sure don't because there will be a Republican President,Republican Congress and there will be a Conservative Majority in the Supreme Court very soon that will probably hold up for decades.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2016, 11:57:13 PM »

I wish I let myself see how the close the race really was. There was a certain complacency that got built in at the end. We set ourselves up for the letdown of a lifetime...the information was there, but most of us didn't want to believe it. Those democrats who sounded the alarm (andrea beaumont and Hagrid for starters) were laughed off, but in the end, they were right. My apologies.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2016, 12:58:39 AM »

I can't shake the feeling that I should have fought harder in the primary.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2016, 01:14:11 AM »

Only that the American people did not make an informed decision when they made Donald Trump President-elect. 
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2016, 10:16:56 AM »

Regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2016, 10:24:27 AM »

None whatsoever. All that matters to me at this point is that Hillary won the popular vote and convinced more people to vote for her than Trump.

Come 2020, you better believe that I will come out with full force voting without any excuses.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2017, 11:26:35 PM »

Supporting Hillary Clinton. Falling for the Democratic "project fear" aimed at whipping minorities in a frenzy over the impending Trumpocalypse. F**k that. But it's been a good lesson for me.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2017, 11:46:58 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2017, 11:50:23 PM by Old School Republican »

Supporting Hillary Clinton. Falling for the Democratic "project fear" aimed at whipping minorities in a frenzy over the impending Trumpocalypse. F**k that. But it's been a good lesson for me.

Your views are closer to Hillary then trump  so why would you regret supporting Hillary .  Was it cause now you would support third party
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2017, 12:23:36 AM »

5 Things

1. I regret taking on some complacency after Khanghazi, when Brexit and other populistic, alt-right movements were everywhere. I'm glad the Post-9/11 Pneumoniaghazi polls sobered me up from that, but I still lost a bet that came from before that point.

2. I regret not seeking out Talleyrand's help, since he always seems to get a lot of respect despite all the doom and gloom he preaches, even though most of the time, he's correct. Instead, I just flipped the name backwards and that was that. I got a Lloyd Bentsen pulled on me for my efforts instead.

3. I regret putting in some faith that Tim Kaine would prove useful, even if he was the only one of the four not to be despicable. I let him be one of the factors for another regret of mine

4. I wish I had brought a flipping coin to the voting booth when deciding who should be the next Senator. Would've made a made that choice more interesting.

But most of all,

5. I regret voting for her anyway with all that in the hopes of her pulling a surprise upset despite everything that happened the week before. My vote would've meant she had a mandate, and it'd be an excellent taunt to the more hackish blue avvies that were seriously thinking he'd get California competitive again at one point.

I should've just done a Write-In for someone there, and resumed the usual "Stop-the-R" voting down ballot.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2017, 02:01:08 AM »

Yes.

I regret that Trump did not win New Hampshire and Minnesota.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2017, 02:27:40 AM »

No, since I don't see what I personally could have done differently to change the eventual outcome.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies