Why can't we go back to the Eisenhower tax code? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:23:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Why can't we go back to the Eisenhower tax code? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why can't we go back to the Eisenhower tax code?  (Read 6368 times)
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: December 06, 2016, 12:51:52 PM »

I suspect, just based on my knowledge of greed and how rigged the government is in favor of the rich and monied interests, that there's been a continuous, systematic effort by a coalition of conservatives, wealthy interest groups, lobbyists, donors, Wall Street, and the big business elite to lower tax rates for the rich over the course of the past 60 years.  JFK pushed for a tax cut, then Ronald Reagan, then George W. Bush, and the Democrats were never able to get it back to the higher rates pre-Kennedy.  From what I've heard, weren't those 50's tax rates very very high?*

*Does anyone also know if there were surpluses or deficits in the 1950s?

Can anyone explain how this happened?  Wouldn't we be able to have so much more revenue to do the things we all want to do: balance the budget, make huge payments to get us out of debt, and have the first surplus in 16 years if we simply just went back to a tax code where the people that actually had the most money to spare were asked to pay much higher rates?

Thanks... i just want to have some more information about it.. im not an economist so if you are, please explain (:
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 12:53:19 PM »

Also: note I say "Eisenhower" but what i really mean is the 50s....  I imagine being a Republican, Dwight was not really a fan of those high tax rates. 

and does anyone know if there were tax cuts in 1953-1954 after Republicans had a trifecta?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies