Half of All Americans Never Benefited from the Economic Recovery
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:53:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Half of All Americans Never Benefited from the Economic Recovery
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Half of All Americans Never Benefited from the Economic Recovery  (Read 1569 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2016, 07:45:18 PM »

Hardly news, but still:

A Bigger Economic Pie, but a Smaller Slice for Half of the U.S.

By PATRICIA COHEN
DEC. 6, 2016

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 05:32:27 PM »

Well I guess they should've thought more about being "job creators" and "makers" and "real Americans" rather than trying to get freebies and handouts and our overly generous welfare benefits so they can sit on their butts in their mom's basements and play video games and listen to rap music all day.

-"the American people"
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 10:47:57 PM »

The authors could have just checked out the Atlas last year when I made and posted this graph. Wink

I'm cross posting this from US General Politics since it seems relevant here, too. This chart should help guide one's attempts at a solution. The drift of the upper three quintiles away from the lower two quintiles has been generally slow and steady over the last 35 years. The decade before Reagan isn't appreciably different than the decade after, despite considerable differences in national policy.

It seems clear that wealth has migrated towards the skilled professions, even in the middle class, as the global information age has progressed. The greater the skills required, the more rapid the increase in wages. To me that suggests the most effective changes would direct more resources towards education for the skills needed in the current economy, not large scale wealth redistribution or an investment in jobs in less skilled sectors from economies of the past.

Here's a better chart in response to Ernest. This is also from the historical household income data at the US Census. I found that the top of the second quintile (40%) was the most stable in real dollars, only increasing 5% from 1969 to 2014, so I used that to compare the other quintiles. The bottom quintile remained almost unchanged compared to the second quintile during that span of years and is very close to half the second quintile.

The growth is in the upper three quintiles. The middle quintile grew about 17% compared to the bottom two quintiles. Since the bottom two quintiles had little growth in real dollars, that 17% is close to the growth in real dollars since 1967.  The fourth quintile grew at 35% compared to the bottom two quintiles, or about double the rate of the middle. The limit for the upper 5% grew at 54% compared to the bottom two quintiles, or about triple the rate of the middle. My apologies for the year sequence which looked fine until the software rendered it to a bitmap.

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 11:49:34 PM »

Thanks Obama!
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 08:18:41 PM »

What is that saying that neoliberals always trot out? "Smaller piece, bigger pie"? Huh, how'd that work out?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 08:29:55 PM »

What is that saying that neoliberals always trot out? "Smaller piece, bigger pie"? Huh, how'd that work out?

The phrase you are looking for is 'growing the pie'. 
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 09:26:48 PM »

The phrase you are looking for is 'growing the pie'. 

Well, we all agree now, that for the next couple decades we should try shrinking the pie. Letīs see how that will work.
Make My Bank Account Great Again
KingCharles
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 09:55:39 PM »

And they wonder why the Democratic Party is in crisis. You see the same thing happening with Left wing Parties in Europe. Sanders, Corbyn, Podemos, Syriza, SNP, Sinn Fein, etc. all cut from the same cloth. Neoliberalism is in crisis.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 10:01:02 PM »

And they wonder why the Democratic Party is in crisis. You see the same thing happening with Left wing Parties in Europe. Sanders, Corbyn, Podemos, Syriza, SNP, Sinn Fein, etc. all cut from the same cloth. Neoliberalism is in crisis.

I mean, you guys should try. Do it as you think it is supposed be done. And we will watch.
Make My Bank Account Great Again
KingCharles
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 01:40:15 AM »

I mean, you guys should try. Do it as you think it is supposed be done. And we will watch.

My economic views align more closely with Hillary Clinton's than Bernie Sanders, so I'm not exactly psyched up over the prospect of a Sanders style Democratic Party.

But that would still be preferable to whatever Trumpism entails.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 02:50:00 AM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies