What are your favorite moments of the 2016 cycle?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:05:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What are your favorite moments of the 2016 cycle?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What are your favorite moments of the 2016 cycle?  (Read 2291 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2016, 08:58:35 PM »

Mostly it was a downer, and the missed opportunities not only by both major parties, but by the libertarians as well, are more memorable than any of the joyful moments, but there were a few highlights.  Here are some that I remember, more or less in chronological order:

1.  Sanders rally just outside my office.  I didn't actually attend the rally because I didn't want to get caught in the traffic which was already heavy three hours before it started, but I went out and talked to lots of supporters and took a few photos before I jumped into my car and drove away before I got trapped.  It was a good vibe and spirits were high.

2.  The various spoofs of the primary debates, especially this one.

3.  Me taking my son to the primary voting booth with me, and getting to vote in the primary for Sanders.  He was disappointed not to see Trump's name on the ballot but I explained to him that I'd have had to arrange that a few weeks in advance, etc.  (It was the first time we had discussed anything even remotely regarding politics or candidates.  I generally try to shield him from that stuff, but he's 11 now and I figured it was okay.  It was actually somewhat rewarding to discuss the presidential race with him, although I don't think I'll make a habit of it.)

4.  Johnson's aleppo moment.  I had actually ruled out Johnson by then, but I thought it was kinda endearing.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of legalizing recreational marijuana use, and have been since about 1981, but it's not what I'm looking for in a president.

5.  Me getting to vote against Trump and Clinton in the general election.  It was a beautiful day and I rode my bicycle to the Saint Thomas Episcopal Church that day.  The whole block was buzzing, and I could tell it was a high turnout.  For the first time in memory, I actually had to wait in line to vote, nearly ten minutes I waited before I got my ballot, but it was worth it.  I also posted here about my interaction with the octogenarian poll worker, but I won't repeat all that here.  Suffice it to say that voting for Bradford Lyttle was very, very satisfying, and learning that I was the only one in Lancaster County who voted for him was surreal and entertaining.

6.  Overconfident Clinton people getting bitchslapped on election night.  That was the best of all.  I went to bed about 10 not knowing who would win yet, although I was surprised to find that some states weren't being called for Clinton so far.  I can't say I detest her any more than I detest Trump, but her supporters were far more annoying during the lead up to the election, so I had a good, hearty laugh when I woke up early and find that she lost.  

Bonus:  Trump clearly doesn't intend to keep most of his campaign promises, which is definitely a good thing, since most of them were either unworkable or really, really bad ideas.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2016, 09:05:30 PM »

The cycle was a downer for the most part (and many of the truly nice moments, involving Rubio or Cruz victories in the primaries, ended up being pissed away), but I'll always cherish my exposure to the beautiful voice and unique metaphors of Dr. Ben Carson. Hopefully he'll be able to use his experiences at HUD to wage another, equally hilarious presidential campaign the next time the Republican nomination is open.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2016, 09:22:27 PM »

The Ted Cruz phonebank picture.
Mike67
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2016, 09:28:45 PM »

The Ted Cruz booger eating episode during the Debate was an all time grossout
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2016, 08:52:55 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2016, 09:00:23 PM by DPKdebator »

Some good ones:

1. Trump's roasts on pretty much everyone
2. Bernie's America commercial with the namesake Simon and Garfunkel song
3. That fly landing on Hillary's face during the debate
4. Listening to all the mainstream media outlets spew ridiculous things about Trump while failing to address Hillary's
5. Getting told by my history teacher that my EV prediction map, which correctly predicted 48 out of 50 states (only mistake was having NH and NV go Republican), was way too red
6. Seeing the establishment shoot itself in the foot time after time
7. Liberal tears everywhere and those ridiculous flag-burning not-my-president rioters
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2016, 01:12:48 PM »

Nothing at all. I hate this election and always will, even if (as I suspect) Trump turns out to be not that bad.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2016, 01:18:00 PM »

Nothing at all. I hate this election and always will, even if (as I suspect) Trump turns out to be not that bad.
yes, this; 2016 is one of the worst years in human history. I think (hope) that we can survive the next 4 (8?) years.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2016, 03:53:00 PM »

I have a few

- Bernie Sanders "America" ad
- Jeb!
- NY Primary
Mike67
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2016, 03:55:12 PM »

I have a few

- Bernie Sanders "America" ad
- Jeb!
- NY Primary
Jeb was the very definition of a stuffed suit. I think he believed that he would get the GOP Nomination because he was a Bush.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2016, 08:59:03 PM »

Ron Johnson's victory. Going to the RNC. Meeting Marco Rubio.
alomas
Rookie
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2016, 08:04:27 AM »

When I saw PPP account on Twitter calling Florida for Trump around 9pm.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2016, 03:29:02 PM »

Flawless Beautiful Marco Purple heart Purple heart Purple heart's robotic hiccup, Little Donny boy being a sore loser after the Wisconsin primary, and Bernie winning Michigan. I guess Democratic success in Nevada was nice, as well, since that's one thing I was right about all along. The rest was a sh*tshow. Easily the worst cycle of my life, and I remember 2000 and 2004.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2016, 07:54:34 PM »

Lincoln Chafee

Ben Carson

Evan McMullin

Gary Johnson doesn't count because of how sad his campaign was (same with Martin O'Malley)

Jeb!'s campaign was so sad it was rather funny

I do like that Bernie is on track to beat the Peace and Freedom candidate in CA

Bernie winning Michigan was cool
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies