France vs. Russia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:21:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  France vs. Russia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Which country do you view more favorably?
France (D)

France (R)

France (I/O)

Russia (D)

Russia (R)

Russia (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 96

Author Topic: France vs. Russia  (Read 4468 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2016, 12:28:29 AM »

?
KoiBean
Wintev512
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 12:50:49 AM »

Why view Russia more favorably exactly? Is it they're lack of respect for human rights or international law?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 01:08:24 AM »

I definitely view Russian culture and literature much more favorably than the French, though perhaps this comes from my ability to appreciate the former in the original and not the latter (and the fact that I am the descendant of generations who lived in Russia or the greater Russophonie). Certainly, France's modern political system is better than Russia's, but that's not all there is to a country.

Voted Russia (R )
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 01:12:00 AM »
« Edited: December 07, 2016, 01:13:56 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

France. The world isn't black and white. The Democratic party went completely off the rails with their criticism of Russia, but Russia is quite flawed. If I was going to vote for every sh**tty politician who demonized Russia, I would have voted for John McCain and Mitt Romney.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 08:20:03 AM »

France, not close.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 09:16:19 AM »

Easiest question ever. Russia is the single most evil and destructive country in the world. It's a vile cancer that has only infected the world and brought nothing but death and devestation in pretty much its entire history.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 09:45:05 AM »

Easiest question ever. Russia is the single most evil and destructive country in the world. It's a vile cancer that has only infected the world and brought nothing but death and devestation in pretty much its entire history.
Get a grip.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 10:02:28 AM »

I prefer the one that doesn't point 9000 declared nuclear warheads at us.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 10:14:43 AM »
« Edited: December 07, 2016, 10:17:42 AM by Santander »

Both are among the countries I admire most. Edge goes to Russia for being Third Rome, colonizers of Siberia, and the leading light of Orthodox piety.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 10:16:33 AM »

Get a grip.
a bit of a hyperbole maybe, but he's basically right isn't he?  I wouldn't have said "only", I'm sure they did a good thing or two somewhere on accident because of the broken clocks law.

(I have hard biases against Russia, perhaps too hard...but the whole hating gays and the land grabs make it really easy to keep those biases alive)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 10:40:24 AM »

Both are among the countries I admire most. Edge goes to Russia for being Third Rome, colonizers of Siberia, and the leading light of Orthodox piety.

What does any of this even mean?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 10:51:55 AM »

Third Rome=1st Rome was Rome, 2nd Rome was Constantinople, 3rd Rome is claimed by Moscow 'cause that's where some of the Byzantine nobles went after the fall (right?).

Siberia is the part of Russia east of the Urals, it was (and still is really) a desolate wasteland like northern Canada.  Russia moved some Russians there to take the resources.

That last one I'm not so sure about.  The Soviets did a number on them didn't they?  I see more Greek Orthodox than I do Russian, but wiki tells me there are a bunch more of the Russian flavor...so maybe he's right?  Not that it means much anymore.  (like Third Rome)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 12:48:09 PM »

Get a grip.
a bit of a hyperbole maybe, but he's basically right isn't he?  I wouldn't have said "only", I'm sure they did a good thing or two somewhere on accident because of the broken clocks law.

(I have hard biases against Russia, perhaps too hard...but the whole hating gays and the land grabs make it really easy to keep those biases alive)

There is WWII, but that's about it. Russia has been an abomination every other point in history. Weird that CONSERVATIVES are denying that
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 12:54:39 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^

----
And BRTD, how WW2 can be considered can be considered as a good thing made by Russians. They were basically the allies of Hitler until he decided to invade them.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 01:28:30 PM »

I'm torn. My mom's family is French, and I love to pick on France. At the same time, I speak Russian, I've been to Russia twice, and have loads of friends there. Both countries have large problems with nationalism run amok and prejudice against the lowest segments of society. Even if they occupy very different positions on the global stage, I think Russia looks a lot like what France would look like if it didn't have as robust a democracy.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 02:10:58 PM »

Russia (I/O)    
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 03:09:11 PM »

Get a grip.

There is WWII, but that's about it. Russia has been an abomination every other point in history. Weird that CONSERVATIVES are denying that

You could probably make a defensible case that Russia's government has always or almost always been evil, but think about Russia's contributions to humanity in other fields -- literature, the sciences, music, philosophy, landscape. Russia is not wholly its government, BRTD.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 03:19:11 PM »

WHAT THE , lol, obviously France!!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 03:37:36 PM »

Russia in a landslide! Coolest country in the world. Basically the only foreign culture I have ever been interested in studying in great detail.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 04:32:45 PM »

France, but it's close. Currently I'm pretty hawkish on Russia due to their recent actions, and due to our president-elect being too friendly to them, having a conflict of interest. Relative to Trump I am very hawkish on Russia. And it sucks how white supremacists worship Russia for colonizing Siberia, sending money to Le Pen and whatnot. But overall Russia is a great country. In the grand scheme of things it is great. Russian literature, Russian music, Russian chess players and Olympians. Where would we be without Anna Karenina? Russian history is so fascinating.

Even though Communism was such a terrible ideology it was just so interesting from a human standpoint. They, like the French, taught us about revolution. And you gotta admit, you can at once hate Stalin and appreciate that he took a backward agrarian country into a global superpower in 30 years. Unlike Hitler who inherited what was already basically an industrialized country that just happened to be suffering ill effects from a depression. Stalin molded nearly the equal of the U.S. from a land of peasants.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 04:55:51 PM »

France has better food, a better government, gives its citizens more freedom, has an infinitely better culture and has the greatest city in the world.  The fact that this is even a contest and a frozen hellhole of human rights violations run by a dictator (not to mention a country that spend decades as our sworn enemy and is clearly trying to get back to such a status) is close to France is mind boggling.

Theocracy above all else, right guys?!
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 05:08:19 PM »

France has better food, a better government, gives its citizens more freedom, has an infinitely better culture and has the greatest city in the world.  The fact that this is even a contest and a frozen hellhole of human rights violations run by a dictator (not to mention a country that spend decades as our sworn enemy and is clearly trying to get back to such a status) is close to France is mind boggling.
This explains so much.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2016, 05:15:45 PM »

This explains so much.

No way you'll be man enough to explain what you're trying to say (ironic), but why don't you go ahead and articulate what you mean by that?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 05:17:24 PM »

This explains so much.

No way you'll be man enough to explain what you're trying to say (ironic), but why don't you go ahead and articulate what you mean by that?
In Santander's eyes the best city in the world is obviously Glasgow. Filled with Angry Scottish Men. It voted for Nicola Sturgeon, and that seals it. Tongue
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2016, 05:24:40 PM »

What does any of this even mean?
Markov chain, I presume.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies