France vs. Russia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:22:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  France vs. Russia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Which country do you view more favorably?
France (D)

France (R)

France (I/O)

Russia (D)

Russia (R)

Russia (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 96

Author Topic: France vs. Russia  (Read 4466 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2016, 05:35:04 PM »

France has better food, a better government, gives its citizens more freedom, has an infinitely better culture and has the greatest city in the world.  The fact that this is even a contest and a frozen hellhole of human rights violations run by a dictator (not to mention a country that spend decades as our sworn enemy and is clearly trying to get back to such a status) is close to France is mind boggling.
This explains so much.

No way you'll be man enough to explain what you're trying to say (ironic), but why don't you go ahead and articulate what you mean by that?
Assuming you meant Paris, anyone who has been to Paris and went away thinking it was the greatest city in the world probably has statist and/or corporatist instincts.

In Santander's eyes the best city in the world is obviously Glasgow. Filled with Angry Scottish Men. It voted for Nicola Sturgeon, and that seals it. Tongue
Actually, I think the greatest city in the world is Jerusalem. Tongue
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2016, 05:41:26 PM »

France has better food, a better government, gives its citizens more freedom, has an infinitely better culture and has the greatest city in the world.  The fact that this is even a contest and a frozen hellhole of human rights violations run by a dictator (not to mention a country that spend decades as our sworn enemy and is clearly trying to get back to such a status) is close to France is mind boggling.
This explains so much.

No way you'll be man enough to explain what you're trying to say (ironic), but why don't you go ahead and articulate what you mean by that?
Assuming you meant Paris, anyone who has been to Paris and went away thinking it was the greatest city in the world probably has statist and/or corporatist instincts.

In Santander's eyes the best city in the world is obviously Glasgow. Filled with Angry Scottish Men. It voted for Nicola Sturgeon, and that seals it. Tongue
Actually, I think the greatest city in the world is Jerusalem. Tongue
Well at least Jerusalem is at least the third holiest city in the world Tongue
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 06:26:35 PM »

France I guess
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2016, 07:29:09 PM »

You could probably make a defensible case that Russia's government has always or almost always been evil, but think about Russia's contributions to humanity in other fields -- literature, the sciences, music, philosophy, landscape. Russia is not wholly its government, BRTD.
Exactly this (though I didn't feel like explaining all this because BRTD is a lost cause). Voted Russia because I'm a contrarian and I don't like judging entire countries by their governments, especially when these countries are not even democracies.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2016, 07:46:11 PM »

France has better food, a better government, gives its citizens more freedom, has an infinitely better culture and has the greatest city in the world.  The fact that this is even a contest and a frozen hellhole of human rights violations run by a dictator (not to mention a country that spend decades as our sworn enemy and is clearly trying to get back to such a status) is close to France is mind boggling.

Theocracy above all else, right guys?!

MUH FREEDUMB over MUH COMMUNISTS

Senseless reply. Without France, there wouldn't be a United States. And if the thought of that gratifies you, kindly do gtfo.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2016, 08:00:49 PM »

Why do American conservatives hate France so much?  It seems like bashing the French is just "cool."

The US did liberate France from the Nazis, but that was long overdue payback for the American Revolution.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2016, 08:01:36 PM »

Easiest question ever. Russia is the single most evil and destructive country in the world. It's a vile cancer that has only infected the world and brought nothing but death and devestation in pretty much its entire history.
^^^^^^^^^^

----
And BRTD, how WW2 can be considered can be considered as a good thing made by Russians. They were basically the allies of Hitler until he decided to invade them.

You conveniently omit a lot of details. The biggest of which being that the soviets were willing to intervene in Czechoslovakia... as long as Britain, France contributed troops as well. Munch only served to confirm Soviet paranoia that Hitler was the West's battering ram, so why shouldn't they partition Poland, and force France to bear the brunt of the fighting?

It wasn't Stalin's fault that France collapsed so quickly, derailing his plans.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2016, 11:10:49 AM »

France has better food, a better government, gives its citizens more freedom, has an infinitely better culture and has the greatest city in the world.  The fact that this is even a contest and a frozen hellhole of human rights violations run by a dictator (not to mention a country that spend decades as our sworn enemy and is clearly trying to get back to such a status) is close to France is mind boggling.

I know 90% of your posts on this forum are one liners about politicians you hate or mocking someone's post with "MUH _____," but seriously what on Earth does this even mean?  For one, yes, giving your citizens basic liberties and freedoms is inherently better than communism in my view.  Duh.  However, the more mind-boggling part of your response is that I listed several reasons that I considered France a more endearing country than RUSSIA (LOL, seriously, what the hell is this thread?!), and you chose to ... well, type what you did.  Just strange.

France is a gorgeous country with kind people (actually met several of them on multiple visits rather than rely on hearsay from Americans who were probably rude to them first and/or made ZERO effort to respect the fact that they were guests in a foreign country and just walk up and start speaking English), a rich culture and a marvelous city in Paris.  If that makes me a "corporatist" or "statist" (seriously, Santender, what are you smoking these days?), then those words mean absolutely nothing at all, LOL.  Paris has an "it" factor and an atmosphere about it that struck me as truly special compared to other cities I've had the pleasure to visit.  As corny as it sounds, the movie "Midnight in Paris" (which is hilarious and awesome) and Hemingway's writing about the city (why do you think all of our badass American writers and actors hung out in Paris in the Roarin' Twenties?!) actually do capture the essence of the city pretty well.

I'll accept ignorance to ... Russia ... but this shouldn't be a competition.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2016, 11:29:24 AM »

If you find yourself constantly having to ask why most conservatives and Republicans have a different worldview than you, maybe it's time to stop calling yourself a conservative or a Republican.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2016, 11:39:18 AM »
« Edited: December 08, 2016, 03:17:38 PM by RINO Tom »

If you find yourself constantly having to ask why most conservatives and Republicans have a different worldview than you, maybe it's time to stop calling yourself a conservative or a Republican.

Dude, I know you're not this stupid.  "Worldview"??  As if all self-described conservatives have the same view on food, travel and entertainment?!  Jesus Christ, GMAFB.  (Do conservatives swear?!  Have we decided?!?!)

Seriously, a conservative from Maine might love seafood, the cold weather, hiking and a rural setting.  A conservative from the exurbs of Oklahoma City might love BBQ and think seafood is disgusting, find hiking a waste of time and think a small town would be boring.  Even on this forum, you'd have RFayette and Cathcon disagree vehemently about the type of region they'd probably prefer to live in one day, as well as the daily activities and hobbies they engage in.  They're both "conservatives" (whatever the HELL that means to you ... which I'm starting to think is just, "Do they act like the White people I know from Kentucky?  Because if not, they are RINOs by default).
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2016, 11:42:42 AM »
« Edited: December 08, 2016, 11:46:37 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

No - or at least they shouldn't - but the results of this poll are telling considering I am one of the three dissenting D's. Is my favorite Hoosier one too or does he now identify as indy in these polls?

Geez man - idk where you get off picking the bad choice.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2016, 12:17:24 PM »

memba when Republicans liked free markets and hated Russia?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2016, 12:19:07 PM »

memba when Republicans liked free markets and hated Russia?

You might be an 80s kid if...
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2016, 12:53:57 PM »

France is warmer and has better food, but Russia has a cooler culture, so I'd say it's a wash.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2016, 05:22:16 PM »

France is warmer and has better food, but Russia has a cooler culture, so I'd say it's a wash. So France
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2016, 07:26:13 PM »

I know 90% of your posts on this forum are one liners about politicians you hate or mocking someone's post with "MUH _____," but seriously what on Earth does this even mean?  For one, yes, giving your citizens basic liberties and freedoms is inherently better than communism in my view.  Duh.  However, the more mind-boggling part of your response is that I listed several reasons that I considered France a more endearing country than RUSSIA (LOL, seriously, what the hell is this thread?!), and you chose to ... well, type what you did.  Just strange.

France is a gorgeous country with kind people (actually met several of them on multiple visits rather than rely on hearsay from Americans who were probably rude to them first and/or made ZERO effort to respect the fact that they were guests in a foreign country and just walk up and start speaking English), a rich culture and a marvelous city in Paris.  If that makes me a "corporatist" or "statist" (seriously, Santender, what are you smoking these days?), then those words mean absolutely nothing at all, LOL.  Paris has an "it" factor and an atmosphere about it that struck me as truly special compared to other cities I've had the pleasure to visit.  As corny as it sounds, the movie "Midnight in Paris" (which is hilarious and awesome) and Hemingway's writing about the city (why do you think all of our badass American writers and actors hung out in Paris in the Roarin' Twenties?!) actually do capture the essence of the city pretty well.

It's possible to not base your opinions on countries on politics.

That said, I think I'll narrowly choose France.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2016, 07:52:57 PM »

France, but both are deplorable.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2016, 08:43:45 PM »

Also, I'd like to note that any answer to "greatest city in the world" other than New York City is the wrong answer. (And the only other answer that is defensible is London). Paris is just a dirtier, older, French-speaking version of NYC, and while Jerusalem is very cool from a touristy/archaeological/religious perspective, it's nowhere near large/diverse/relevant to the modern economy enough to even count as a serious answer.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2016, 08:51:30 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2016, 09:13:49 PM by 1945>1488 »

Also, I'd like to note that any answer to "greatest city in the world" other than New York City is the wrong answer. (And the only other answer that is defensible is London). Paris is just a dirtier, older, French-speaking version of NYC, and while Jerusalem is very cool from a touristy/archaeological/religious perspective, it's nowhere near large/diverse/relevant to the modern economy enough to even count as a serious answer.

The idea that being 'relevant to the modern economy' is ipso facto (or even mutatis mutandis) 'greater' than not being is certainly a compelling one, but it strikes me as liable to create a pretty big 'great'/'good' distinction.

I voted for Russia on literary grounds, conceding that in most other ways it's a pretty awful country.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2016, 09:31:05 PM »

Paris has an "it" factor and an atmosphere about it that struck me as truly special compared to other cities I've had the pleasure to visit.  As corny as it sounds, the movie "Midnight in Paris" (which is hilarious and awesome) and Hemingway's writing about the city (why do you think all of our badass American writers and actors hung out in Paris in the Roarin' Twenties?!) actually do capture the essence of the city pretty well.

I needed a cool idea to ask my dad for the holidays.  Thanks!!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2016, 09:49:32 PM »

Please ask yourself that.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2016, 10:02:10 PM »

Who cares about the economy if you have the Temple Mount and soon the Temple? The only defensible answer for any Jew is Jerusalem.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2016, 10:05:58 PM »

the one with good healthcare and a history of democracy (France)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2016, 11:12:30 PM »

Definitely France. It would be a bit closer if not for the pure evil of Putin.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2016, 11:19:59 PM »

^Also true.
[/quote]

Well, you are neither a conservative nor a Republican, so not sure why your opinion matters at all.  Santen(D-KY)er isn't exactly the most enviable endorsement of conservatism either.  There are millions and millions of Republicans in the US who are "REAL REPUBLICANS" who probably wouldn't receive Santender's stamp of approval ... and I'm sure they're damn proud of that, because who would want it?  Lol
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies