OH-SEN: Renacci Wins Weak Plurality
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:03:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-SEN: Renacci Wins Weak Plurality
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22
Poll
Question: Who wins the Ohio U.S. Senate Race?
State Treasurer Josh Mandel (R)

U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown (D)

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 172

Author Topic: OH-SEN: Renacci Wins Weak Plurality  (Read 58263 times)
Rjjr77
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2017, 01:59:51 PM »

What specific policies of Brown's are too liberal for the people of Ohio?
I mean I don't really have time to list everything, from guns to single payer and beyond.

Sherrod's an unabashed far left progressive, I don't think it's that shocking for me to say that. And Ohio is a center right leaning swing state. Sherrods also an attentive and active senator who is likeable with a great Ohio ballot name, ideologically he's to the far left of the majority of state packed with blue collar Democrats.

41% of self described Republicans support single payer healthcare.
58% of the American public does. It's not a far left issue.

On guns you might have a point. But my gut tells me that that's more of an emotional "liberals look down on us" issue than one of specific policy for most voters. And Sherrod just doesn't come across as a condescending liberal.
The majority of people don't support single payer.
When asked if they support single payer they say yes, when told what single payer is they don't like it. The majority of people have no idea what single payer actually means, it just sounds nice and they "support" it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/02/people-have-no-idea-what-single-payer-means/471045/

And don't say it's republican BS because I even took it from the Atlantic.

so few people understand polls.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2017, 02:12:30 PM »

I mean I don't really have time to list everything, from guns to single payer and beyond.

Sherrod's an unabashed far left progressive, I don't think it's that shocking for me to say that. And Ohio is a center right leaning swing state. Sherrods also an attentive and active senator who is likeable with a great Ohio ballot name, ideologically he's to the far left of the majority of state packed with blue collar Democrats.

On guns you might have a point. But my gut tells me that that's more of an emotional "liberals look down on us" issue than one of specific policy for most voters. And Sherrod just doesn't come across as a condescending liberal.
When asked if they support single payer they say yes, when told what single payer is they don't like it. The majority of people have no idea what single payer actually means, it just sounds nice and they "support" it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/02/people-have-no-idea-what-single-payer-means/471045/

So you're predicting that the NRSC is going to spend time explaining what single payer healthcare is in TV time in order to attack Brown?

Point being, the attack ad goes "Senator Sherrod Brown supports socialized medicine," Brown responds, "I support single payer!" Null issue, since the terminology is viewed favorably.
Rjjr77
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2017, 02:24:39 PM »

So you're predicting that the NRSC is going to spend time explaining what single payer healthcare is in TV time in order to attack Brown?

Point being, the attack ad goes "Senator Sherrod Brown supports socialized medicine," Brown responds, "I support single payer!" Null issue, since the terminology is viewed favorably.

Sherrod Brown supports Government take-over of health-care.

Thats all the attack you need, especially in a place like Ohio where they hate that so much the voters put it into the state constitution.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2017, 02:49:02 PM »

So not only is Brown going to face the same opponent as 2012, but he'll also be using the same attacks from 2012 (Obamacare!)?

You can't just assume trends + midterm turnout will bail you out.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2017, 02:52:05 PM »

I would wager that attacking Brown for not supporting the Muslim ban and being "pro-abortion/illegal immigrants/gun control" would all go down better than attacking him on healthcare, given that the free market solution for healthcare is going down like a lead Zeppelin and obamacare becomes less of a live wire of an issue.

I think Sherrod will manage it. Mandel seems like a relic of the Tea Party era.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2017, 03:16:47 PM »

I would wager that attacking Brown for not supporting the Muslim ban and being "pro-abortion/illegal immigrants/gun control" would all go down better than attacking him on healthcare, given that the free market solution for healthcare is going down like a lead Zeppelin and obamacare becomes less of a live wire of an issue.

I think Sherrod will manage it. Mandel seems like a relic of the Tea Party era.

Brown's not gonna lose to Mandel, period.  Even in a Hillary midterm, he'd have probably beaten Mandel.
Rjjr77
« Reply #131 on: April 14, 2017, 03:52:41 PM »

So not only is Brown going to face the same opponent as 2012, but he'll also be using the same attacks from 2012 (Obamacare!)?

im expecting Sherrod Brown to win, but lets not act like he's invincible.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2017, 04:07:08 PM »

im expecting Sherrod Brown to win, but lets not act like he's invincible.

He might as well be if he's running against Josh Mandel Tongue
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2017, 05:04:30 PM »

I wish this little manchild well in his endeavors.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2017, 03:12:16 PM »

Thanks to the mods who consolidated the threads.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2017, 06:03:54 PM »

Especially since Kasich won't be running, Brown will carry the seat again.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2017, 07:32:17 PM »

Has Kasich definitively said that he isn't running? I know it's been heavily implied.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2017, 08:01:57 PM »

Has Kasich definitively said that he isn't running? I know it's been heavily implied.

I'm ready to say I think Mandel would beat him in the primary.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »

Brown will beat Mandel by double digits.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2017, 08:13:01 PM »

I don't know why the Ohio GOP is trying to make Josh Mandel a thing.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2017, 08:55:26 PM »

I don't know why the Ohio GOP is trying to make Josh Mandel a thing.
OH GOP isn't. Or at least, hasn't, historically. Prior to the election, OH GOP was all-in for Kasich, and that has since changed. Mandel was one of few elected Republicans in the state to ditch Kasich. The internal dynamics of OH GOP are changing toward Trumpism, but if Clinton had won, Tiberi would almost definitely be challenging him.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2017, 09:24:44 PM »

Majority of people do. 60%go for Federal Government has responsibility to ensure healthcare coverage. And 58% in this poll want federal government to provide insurance to everyone.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/03/27/how-do-americans-feel-about-single-payer-health-care-its-complicated/?utm_term=.d7ecbd574513
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/01/13/more-americans-say-government-should-ensure-health-care-coverage/ft_17-01-13_healthcoverage_responsibility/

Even in the worst possible poll for Single Payer with "Single Payer" written, 44% support explicitly a Single Payer, 36% oppose, rest undecided. In every single poll, people support a version of Single Payer. The support dramatically increased when the world Federal Government funded or Medicare type terms are used which people can relate to, but even with Single Payer, people support it far more than they oppose it. Independents strongly support a Single-Payer & the number of Republicans supporting it has only massively risen to a point where the "Yes" voters are getting close to the "N" voters!

The people who are peddling this theory are themselves fringe uber right wing people.
https://morningconsult.com/2017/04/12/plurality-voters-back-single-payer-health-care-system/
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #142 on: April 16, 2017, 09:42:08 PM »

Yes, just look it up online.

BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2017, 10:03:24 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2017, 10:23:26 AM by BuckeyeNut »

Josh Mandel raised $1.5 mil, $900k less than Brown, in Quarter 1. His total cash on hand is around $2.4 mil, which Brown raised in Q1 alone. Brown has $3.2 on hand.

Pat Tiberi, meanwhile, raised $1.4 mil and has a whopping $6.3 mil on hand. In his Q1 expenditures, Tiberi hired an Alexandria, VA-based firm for statewide polling.

Also, Mandel got the endorsement of Citizens United.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2017, 10:13:41 AM »

Tossup. Can go either way.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2017, 04:08:12 PM »

State House Republicans added an amendment to the budget targeting Mandel that, "requires Controlling Board approval of any advertising purchased by a state governmental entity for the same purpose that, in the aggregate, exceeds $50,000 during the fiscal year.”
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2017, 07:00:20 AM »

Wow, and republicans call us delusional...

Brown will smash Mandel.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: May 02, 2017, 09:31:58 AM »

Tiberi still hasn't made up his mind.

His bank account is bursting, and if Clinton was President, Tiberi could have easily dispatched Mandel in a primary. The fact that Ryan didn't support Tiberi's bid for Chairman of Ways & Means may indicate Tiberi's bored with the House, but it's hard to say. The Kasich-Tiberi-Boehner brand of Republicanism is not fairing well here.
Rjjr77
« Reply #148 on: May 02, 2017, 11:04:42 AM »

Tiberi still hasn't made up his mind.

His bank account is bursting, and if Clinton was President, Tiberi could have easily dispatched Mandel in a primary. The fact that Ryan didn't support Tiberi's bid for Chairman of Ways & Means may indicate Tiberi's bored with the House, but it's hard to say. The Kasich-Tiberi-Boehner brand of Republicanism is not fairing well here.

Tiberi would be foolish to run right now, mandel could easily be beat by another candidate, but it's not going to be a late entry Tiberi. Never trump would kill him
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #149 on: May 02, 2017, 09:30:18 PM »

If Josh Mandel is all we can get​ we deserve to lose. I think Tiberi still has a shot against him in the primary, just because Mandel already lost once.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies