OH-SEN: Renacci Wins Weak Plurality
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:40:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-SEN: Renacci Wins Weak Plurality
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22
Poll
Question: Who wins the Ohio U.S. Senate Race?
State Treasurer Josh Mandel (R)

U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown (D)

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 172

Author Topic: OH-SEN: Renacci Wins Weak Plurality  (Read 57933 times)
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2017, 06:23:09 PM »

I'm surprised by the people on here who support Mandel and those who don't. It's most likely he won't receive a primary challenge.
The guy has a big war chest I hear. Also, the Kasich wings seems to be losing steam, the longtime Ohio Republican Chairman (Borges) was suddenly ousted, with even Mary Taylor opposing him. It looks like Mandel has shored up lots of support among all the wings of the Republican primary electorate, but there's still plenty of time I guess.
Rjjr77
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2017, 08:39:30 PM »

I'm surprised by the people on here who support Mandel and those who don't. It's most likely he won't receive a primary challenge.
The guy has a big war chest I hear. Also, the Kasich wings seems to be losing steam, the longtime Ohio Republican Chairman (Borges) was suddenly ousted, with even Mary Taylor opposing him. It looks like Mandel has shored up lots of support among all the wings of the Republican primary electorate, but there's still plenty of time I guess.

Mary Taylor or Rennacci may decide a one on one with mandel would be preferable to the crowded governor's race, but right now he's getting a pass.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2017, 08:50:05 PM »

Josh Mandel is the best
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2017, 08:57:16 PM »

"In 2012, Mandel broke with Mitt Romney on foreign policy concerning the status of U.S. military forces in Europe, advocating for their withdrawal in opposing the rehashing of past military conflicts." -Wikipedia

Sounds promising, and, given that Brown is a major Russophobe, there's nothing Ohio has to lose from electing Mandel (admittedly, a very weak candidate relative to Brown).
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2017, 10:14:01 PM »

Yes, yes.

He's just probably the most reviled politician Ohio. Even many Republicans loathe him.
houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2017, 11:07:19 PM »

Calling Josh Mandel an empty suit may be an insult to Jos A. Bank.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2017, 11:37:30 PM »

What Republicans in Ohio don't like Mandel? And, yeah, I'm a big fan; the guy is a real economic conservative who understands the threat posed by Iran (and, by extension, Russia); he's sure to get my vote in 2018, even as I probably vote Democratic for the House to protest Trump.

"In 2012, Mandel broke with Mitt Romney on foreign policy concerning the status of U.S. military forces in Europe, advocating for their withdrawal in opposing the rehashing of past military conflicts." -Wikipedia

Sounds promising, and, given that Brown is a major Russophobe, there's nothing Ohio has to lose from electing Mandel (admittedly, a very weak candidate relative to Brown).

I would've agreed with that too prior to the Crimea intervention -- while I haven't spoken to him in a while, I'm familiar with his worldview, and I'm virtually certain that as a Senator, Mandel would favor maintaining our European military presence nowadays. He wouldn't be a vocal Trump critic like McCain or Graham, but I could see him finding a natural ally in Tom Cotton, for instance. Mandel is very instinctively hawkish.

Bleh, Mandel.

Kasich is the best candidate but I doubt he goes for it.  Endorsing Tiberi. 

Jon Husted would be a good candidate as well.
Kasich's too interested in primarying Trump, and with the coupe in the Ohio GOP ousting the Kasich wing, it's fairly unlikely Tiberi runs now. Husted's running for Governor.

Husted's running for Governor?  Is DeWine out?  Mary Taylor?

Husted, DeWine, Taylor, and Renacci all seem to be gearing up to run. DeWine is the best-funded and has the best name recognition in the field, although Renacci is capable of self-funding. I'd definitely prefer DeWine to any of the other three, as an aside, and a Renacci nomination could get me to vote for the Democrat, depending on who they nominate.
Rjjr77
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2017, 06:53:46 AM »

Interesting a big fan of mandel who prefers dewine, kind of an odd mix.
UncleSam

« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2017, 03:35:04 PM »

I read the article, and don't really see anything wrong with it. Did he do it to improve his profile? Sure. But it's entirely in line former as buys in Ohio starting Kasich, Strickland, etc. and it was money spent reasonably to get the word out on an important program. The fact that the proponents of the program itself support the ads and don't feel that Mandel is stealing their spotlight etc. is a good indication that this was perfectly justified.

Of course I haven't seen the ads myself and am just basing my opinion off of the presented evidence within that article, but it sure looks to me like no one cares except the Ohio Democratic Party. Seriously, they don't even have a quote from Sherrod Brown in there denouncing it so it just looks like a typical partisan attempt to malign a legitimately good program from Mandel for political gain.

Of course Republicans would also malign Democrats if a Democrat ran this ad so it's important to keep that in mind, but I think this is a win for Mandel in the long run. I don't know any Republicans who not like Mandel so not sure what you're talking about there, but Mandel is a lot more polished than he was six years ago and Republicans have a massive voter registration advantage in the state to boot. Brown is taking the race very seriously though and is a strong candidate, so I do think he is the favorite still to pull out a close win.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2017, 04:53:23 PM »

It's a fair bit skeevier than what was originally reported. He under-reported the cost initially, and then avoided going to a Control Board by spreading the payments out. There's also a fair difference between television and radio, and Mandel recruited a celebrity for his ad.

It's also probably best for Brown to not bring attention to it. The big papers around the state are picking it up naturally, and he can stay above the fray.

What Republicans in Ohio don't like Mandel? And, yeah, I'm a big fan; the guy is a real economic conservative who understands the threat posed by Iran (and, by extension, Russia); he's sure to get my vote in 2018, even as I probably vote Democratic for the House to protest Trump.
It's anecdotal, but I know Republicans who take serious issue with 1: his unprosecuted federal election laws violation, 2: his Islamophobic attacks on Kevin Boyce.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Actually, Husted's out-raised DeWine.
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2017, 06:08:14 PM »

Why are people confident Kasich isn't going to be the nominee? I'm not disputing this, I would just like to know more.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2017, 07:22:51 PM »

Why are people confident Kasich isn't going to be the nominee? I'm not disputing this, I would just like to know more.
His designated ally and Chairman of the Ohio GOP got kicked out on his ass. It's overstating to say Kasich couldn't win a primary in Ohio anymore, but it'd actually be difficult for him. Viewed as too much of an obstructionist to the Trump Train.

It's generally a bad sign for Republicans when you've got Democrats who once loathed you singing your praises as the one Republican with integrity.
Rjjr77
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2017, 10:48:48 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2017, 10:50:35 PM by Rjjr77 »

His designated ally and Chairman of the Ohio GOP got kicked out on his ass. It's overstating to say Kasich couldn't win a primary in Ohio anymore, but it'd actually be difficult for him. Viewed as too much of an obstructionist to the Trump Train.

It's generally a bad sign for Republicans when you've got Democrats who once loathed you singing your praises as the one Republican with integrity.

This, and his approval rating among trump voters was under 50%. (In October, probably lower now) I don't think he'd win a primary in Ohio right now.

Also, he's not running for it.
Rjjr77
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2017, 10:51:59 PM »

It's a fair bit skeevier than what was originally reported. He under-reported the cost initially, and then avoided going to a Control Board by spreading the payments out. There's also a fair difference between television and radio, and Mandel recruited a celebrity for his ad.

It's also probably best for Brown to not bring attention to it. The big papers around the state are picking it up naturally, and he can stay above the fray.

It's anecdotal, but I know Republicans who take serious issue with 1: his unprosecuted federal election laws violation, 2: his Islamophobic attacks on Kevin Boyce.

Actually, Husted's out-raised DeWine.

I think Husted is the best candidate, probably the one the Dems would least like to face
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2017, 11:33:03 PM »

Are we sure the blue avatars that claim to really like this over-sized hemroid aren't just sock accounts Mandel created?  I have a hard time believing anyone could genuinely like that pre-pubescent humanoid weasel.

I could see this. Mandel's a POS, News at 11.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2017, 11:38:25 PM »

Josh Mandel definitely looks and talks like an Atlas user Tongue
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2017, 12:04:55 AM »

Josh Mandel will make the Senate great again, just you guys wait! Smiley

#CantHandleTheMANdel
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2017, 01:55:27 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2017, 01:58:31 PM by Ronnie »

Mandel fans the flames of fear with his latest tweet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoshMandelOhio/status/843524028258275328
Rjjr77
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2017, 01:57:46 PM »

Nothing new, he's running this way since day he declared.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2017, 04:19:47 PM »

Mandel fans the flames of fear with his latest tweet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoshMandelOhio/status/843524028258275328

I really hope that man never becomes a Senator
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2017, 11:09:54 PM »

Nothing new, he's running this way since day he declared.
He also made nasty Islamophobic insinuations about Kevin Boyce when he first ran for Treasurer in 2010
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2017, 11:45:28 PM »

Wow, this Mandel guy is worse than I thought. I hope he loses badly in either the primary or the general.
Kantakouzenos
Rookie

« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2017, 03:38:18 PM »

I heard that in 2012, this senate race had the most outside spending of any in the country, most of it being spent on opposing Sherrod Brown.  It obviously wasn't enough to unseat Brown, but it's pretty clear that this was a high priority seat for Republicans and business interests to win.  I'm sure with Trump winning the state by so much, the money spent there will only go up, so could that be enough to unseat Brown?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2017, 04:02:04 PM »

I heard that in 2012, this senate race had the most outside spending of any in the country, most of it being spent on opposing Sherrod Brown.  It obviously wasn't enough to unseat Brown, but it's pretty clear that this was a high priority seat for Republicans and business interests to win.  I'm sure with Trump winning the state by so much, the money spent there will only go up, so could that be enough to unseat Brown?

Nope.  Not if Mandel is the Republican nominee, at least Tongue  This race is probably solidly lean-D at worst given that 2018 is likely to be a good Democratic year (at the very least), Brown is a strong and fairly well-liked incumbent whose brand is a great fit for Ohio, and that Mandel is an absolutely horrible candidate (if any politician in America could make Ted Cruz seem likable by comparison, then surely that politician is Josh Mandel).
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2017, 04:37:07 PM »

Josh Mandel is the poor man's Tom Cotton.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies