OH-SEN: Renacci Wins Weak Plurality
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:04:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-SEN: Renacci Wins Weak Plurality
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22
Poll
Question: Who wins the Ohio U.S. Senate Race?
State Treasurer Josh Mandel (R)

U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown (D)

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 172

Author Topic: OH-SEN: Renacci Wins Weak Plurality  (Read 57935 times)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: September 16, 2017, 01:04:23 AM »

Perennial candidate, Don Elijah Eckhart, has entered the Republican primary, JD Vance has officially ruled out a run after much deliberation, and Michael Gibbons wrote an op-ed slamming Mandel as unelectable.
Rjjr77
« Reply #326 on: September 18, 2017, 09:48:25 AM »

I still think its Tilt D. It would be tilt R with any of the other statewide republicans

Husted maybe, but otherwise, I don't think so. He's beat DeWine before and would do so again, while Taylor and Yost would be even less of a challenge. Kasich, as you've said, would have some trouble making it through his own party's primary. Portman vs Brown would be a bloodbath, but that obviously isn't happening, and Voinovich is dead, bless his soul.

Brown has to be in top form, but Republicans underestimate his campaign prowess at their own peril.

Underestimating him would be foolish yes, and frankly I hope Republicans overestimate him and put more resources than Necessary to beat him. He's a very good possible Presidential Nom and should be nipped in the bud now before he has a chance to run.

The wife beating allegations would probably sink a presidential nod. Which is why i think he'd never actual run

Sherrod's ex-wife is a family friend and those allegations were exaggerations made as part of a very bitter divorce. They're both over it. Larke Recchie and Sherrod do fundraisers together for Pete's sake.

But they were made. They are in legal documents, and they exist. It's not made up, and it's not baseless since the accusations were made. You can argue he was falsely accused by his ex wife or that they've reconciled their issues, but the claims were made and are out there.

What you're doing right now (or rather trying to do) is pretty disgusting and you should really be ashamed of yourself.  Honestly, I thought you were better than this (admittedly a low bar), but I guess not.

Look no, you don't get to talk to me this way. you can't say something is made up. These allegations, whether or true or not were made. Thats a fact. They would absolutely matter in a presidential race. I get it, its tough out there for Ohio D's and Sherrod is your star, but you can't say Mandel made these allegations up or that they were baseless. Theres literally articles about them.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #327 on: September 18, 2017, 11:35:36 AM »

Josh Mandel doesn't look old enough to be a U.S. Senator. He's got a mean baby face.
UncleSam

« Reply #328 on: September 18, 2017, 11:41:34 AM »

Ya I'm with Rj on this one, the accusations clearly were literally neither baseless nor fabricated nor made up. All the people saying that are just straight wrong. While they are certainly misleading and invasive of personal privacy and probably immoral to bring up given that they have been disproven / denounced by the original accuser, the various red avatars who are triggered by this and lashing out are 100% in the wrong imo. It's not like Rj was saying they were real he was commenting on them as a point of fact and to attack him because of something that is true is pretty pathetic.

Anyway this sort of thing has been dredged up numerous times before (see: Clinton, Trump, Obama's original senate opponent in 2004, etc) and they have had varying degrees of impact on the respective races. The way the media attempts to label people as 'possible wifebeater' or 'alleged sexual assaulted' is disgusting when it happens with no proof, because it goes contrary to the very foundation of our legal system. It's slimy and this has happened repeatedly on both sides of the aisle, particularly with regards to digging up old divorce cases and lobbying judges to unseal them for political gain.

None of the wrongness makes this an invalid point to make within the context of the Atlas forum, however. It is a real issue that could have real political consequences, even if it is based on accusations that have been proven false. It is very possible Sherrod doesn't want to run for president lest these get dragged into the race get again.

In any case, it seems that the voters did not care in 2012 and therefore are unlikely to care in 2018, so his whole thing is kind of moot when discussing this senate race.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #329 on: September 18, 2017, 12:29:32 PM »

Ya I'm with Rj on this one, the accusations clearly were literally neither baseless nor fabricated nor made up. All the people saying that are just straight wrong. While they are certainly misleading and invasive of personal privacy and probably immoral to bring up given that they have been disproven / denounced by the original accuser, the various red avatars who are triggered by this and lashing out are 100% in the wrong imo. It's not like Rj was saying they were real he was commenting on them as a point of fact and to attack him because of something that is true is pretty pathetic.

Anyway this sort of thing has been dredged up numerous times before (see: Clinton, Trump, Obama's original senate opponent in 2004, etc) and they have had varying degrees of impact on the respective races. The way the media attempts to label people as 'possible wifebeater' or 'alleged sexual assaulted' is disgusting when it happens with no proof, because it goes contrary to the very foundation of our legal system. It's slimy and this has happened repeatedly on both sides of the aisle, particularly with regards to digging up old divorce cases and lobbying judges to unseal them for political gain.

None of the wrongness makes this an invalid point to make within the context of the Atlas forum, however. It is a real issue that could have real political consequences, even if it is based on accusations that have been proven false. It is very possible Sherrod doesn't want to run for president lest these get dragged into the race get again.

In any case, it seems that the voters did not care in 2012 and therefore are unlikely to care in 2018, so his whole thing is kind of moot when discussing this senate race.

Not that I'm particularly invested, but I think throwing out the sentence "The wife beating allegations would probably sink a presidential nod. Which is why i think he'd never actual run" without any additional explanation or context is kind of slanderous given the situation. I can understand why people would react to that.
Rjjr77
« Reply #330 on: September 18, 2017, 01:52:25 PM »

Not that I'm particularly invested, but I think throwing out the sentence "The wife beating allegations would probably sink a presidential nod. Which is why i think he'd never actual run" without any additional explanation or context is kind of slanderous given the situation. I can understand why people would react to that.

It's not in anyway slanderous, nor is it outrageous for me to mention in such a casual way. It has been used routinely in campaigns against Brown with varying levels of success, it is a pretty open and public topic, and it is a legitimate allegation made against him by his ex-wife. For me to think that it could sink the presidential aspirations of a  64 year old white male senator from the midwest, in what I expect to be a crowded (but top heavy) field is not in anyway unreasonable.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #331 on: September 19, 2017, 03:32:33 AM »

It's not in anyway slanderous, nor is it outrageous for me to mention in such a casual way. It has been used routinely in campaigns against Brown with varying levels of success, it is a pretty open and public topic, and it is a legitimate allegation made against him by his ex-wife. For me to think that it could sink the presidential aspirations of a  64 year old white male senator from the midwest, in what I expect to be a crowded (but top heavy) field is not in anyway unreasonable.

Right, but I think the point is rather that you could just as well have said something like "even though the allegations have been withdrawn and are denied by the supposed victim, they could still hurt him" in order to make that point.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #332 on: September 19, 2017, 09:16:07 AM »

This also isn't a thread to discuss any presidential aspirations Senator Brown may or may not have.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #333 on: September 19, 2017, 05:23:17 PM »

I still think its Tilt D. It would be tilt R with any of the other statewide republicans

Husted maybe, but otherwise, I don't think so. He's beat DeWine before and would do so again, while Taylor and Yost would be even less of a challenge. Kasich, as you've said, would have some trouble making it through his own party's primary. Portman vs Brown would be a bloodbath, but that obviously isn't happening, and Voinovich is dead, bless his soul.

Brown has to be in top form, but Republicans underestimate his campaign prowess at their own peril.

Underestimating him would be foolish yes, and frankly I hope Republicans overestimate him and put more resources than Necessary to beat him. He's a very good possible Presidential Nom and should be nipped in the bud now before he has a chance to run.

The wife beating allegations would probably sink a presidential nod. Which is why i think he'd never actual run

Sherrod's ex-wife is a family friend and those allegations were exaggerations made as part of a very bitter divorce. They're both over it. Larke Recchie and Sherrod do fundraisers together for Pete's sake.

But they were made. They are in legal documents, and they exist. It's not made up, and it's not baseless since the accusations were made. You can argue he was falsely accused by his ex wife or that they've reconciled their issues, but the claims were made and are out there.

What you're doing right now (or rather trying to do) is pretty disgusting and you should really be ashamed of yourself.  Honestly, I thought you were better than this (admittedly a low bar), but I guess not.

Look no, you don't get to talk to me this way. you can't say something is made up. These allegations, whether or true or not were made. Thats a fact. They would absolutely matter in a presidential race. I get it, its tough out there for Ohio D's and Sherrod is your star, but you can't say Mandel made these allegations up or that they were baseless. Theres literally articles about them.

The. Allegations. Are. False. As. Claimed. By. The. Accuser. Herself. So. Stop. Trolling. And. Shut. Up.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #334 on: September 19, 2017, 05:36:30 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2017, 05:39:06 PM by Malcolm X »

Look, I've done quite a bit of work with actual victims of domestic violence.  If you don't like the way I was talking to you then maybe you should stop trying to smear people you disagree with by peddling false allegations of domestic violence.  That's about as low as it gets and if you keep doing it then I'm gonna keep calling you out on it.  Among other things, incredibly disrespectful to the actual victims of domestic violence who spend their days trapped in a living Hell on earth.  And like Gustaf said, if you were really just mentioning this with no ulterior motive, you'd have provided the context (but of course, that would've made it obvious that this was a baseless smear campaign by Mandel).
Rjjr77
« Reply #335 on: September 19, 2017, 09:47:52 PM »

The. Allegations. Are. False. As. Claimed. By. The. Accuser. Herself. So. Stop. Trolling. And. Shut. Up.

Its not trolling, its a legitimate point, and I'll absolutely stand by that statement and its asinine to get attacked personally over a legit point
Rjjr77
« Reply #336 on: September 19, 2017, 10:00:38 PM »

Look, I've done quite a bit of work with actual victims of domestic violence.  If you don't like the way I was talking to you then maybe you should stop trying to smear people you disagree with by peddling false allegations of domestic violence.  That's about as low as it gets and if you keep doing it then I'm gonna keep calling you out on it.  Among other things, incredibly disrespectful to the actual victims of domestic violence who spend their days trapped in a living Hell on earth.  And like Gustaf said, if you were really just mentioning this with no ulterior motive, you'd have provided the context (but of course, that would've made it obvious that this was a baseless smear campaign by Mandel).

Cool you've worked for Domestic violence victims, i commend you for that, but nothing you've said is right here. It isn't a smear, its a legitimate point. Why should I have to provide context? the context is everywhere? no one provides deep context on everything.

Heres the problem with you, Sherrods your god, great, I think hes going to win, I've said it over, but to claim this is made up by mandel or some smear by me is ridiculous. You clearly aren't as smart as you think you are.

Lets look at the facts.
This claim was made (not once but twice in legal documents about browns alleged violent tendencies)
I, nor mandel, didn't make it up.

You can argue over WHETHER it should be used, sure, but to claim it is a fabrication is just outrageous, and shows a complete inability to look at anything objectively. Heck, I'm not the first person to bring it up on Atlas as its been mentioned in the past more than once. It is not my duty to sit there and talk to death and provide context to every single negative about every single candidate, nor is it your duty to personally levy attacks on something that IS a legitimate issue were he to run for president.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #337 on: September 19, 2017, 10:29:44 PM »

Cool you've worked for Domestic violence victims, i commend you for that, but nothing you've said is right here. It isn't a smear, its a legitimate point. Why should I have to provide context? the context is everywhere? no one provides deep context on everything.

Heres the problem with you, Sherrods your god, great, I think hes going to win, I've said it over, but to claim this is made up by mandel or some smear by me is ridiculous. You clearly aren't as smart as you think you are.

Lets look at the facts.
This claim was made (not once but twice in legal documents about browns alleged violent tendencies)

You can argue over WHETHER it should be used, sure, but to claim it is a fabrication is just outrageous, and shows a complete inability to look at anything objectively. Heck, I'm not the first person to bring it up on Atlas as its been mentioned in the past more than once. It is not my duty to sit there and talk to death and provide context to every single negative about every single candidate, nor is it your duty to personally levy attacks on something that IS a legitimate issue were he to run for president.

The fact that you have done little more than squawk incessantly like a parrot over and over that it's a legit point, Ask! Little troll wants a cracker it's a legit point, makes your point no more Salient than when you started about 30 posts ago. Seriously, either put up with some actual facts Beyond well maybe it happened because it was once accused even though people actually on this forum have spoken with the people involved and to corroborate their public denials, then STFU while the grown-ups talk.

Seriously. This isn't about not wanting here alternative views. This is about wanting to hear an actual coherent point rather than some rain man like repetition of it's a legit point for a full freaking page of the Forum now.
Rjjr77
« Reply #338 on: September 21, 2017, 09:42:17 PM »

Lets look at the facts.

The fact that you have done little more than squawk incessantly like a parrot over and over that it's a legit point, Ask! Little troll wants a cracker it's a legit point, makes your point no more Salient than when you started about 30 posts ago. Seriously, either put up with some actual facts Beyond well maybe it happened because it was once accused even though people actually on this forum have spoken with the people involved and to corroborate their public denials, then STFU while the grown-ups talk.

Seriously. This isn't about not wanting here alternative views. This is about wanting to hear an actual coherent point rather than some rain man like repetition of it's a legit point for a full freaking page of the Forum now.

Who on this forum has actually spoken to the accusers specifically? you? JDB? no. they've issued soft denials in the past publicly and said they've reconciled, but no one ever said "I lied in my court documents about Sherrod Brown attacking me"

This has been discussed to death, Sherrod brown has been accused of domestic violence by his ex wife, his ex wife later said "it was a heated divorce and things get said." Sherrod Brown was later alleged to have physically assaulted his ex-wife's husband (back when he was SOS i want to say) this too was not specifically recanted by the victim, however the victim chose not to press charges. I am happy he has reconciled his differences with his ex-wife and her family, but it doesn't mean the allegations just disappear from being relevant to a discussion about a possible presidential run. Yes, here in Ohio, they've been used (and not used) in campaigns against Sherrod Brown, but to the voters in the other 49 states they've never been heard before. Something like that is a potential problem when running a presidential campaign. And mentioning this problem doesnt make me a troll, a liar, a fabricator, or disgusting in anyway. All I'm doing is bringing up actual possible roadblocks to a presidential run by Sherrod Brown, when that was discussed in this thread. I compare it to George Bush's "draft dodging" allegations which were talked to death in 1994, doesn't mean they werent legitimate roadblocks for his run in 2000
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #339 on: September 22, 2017, 07:12:17 AM »
« Edited: September 22, 2017, 07:14:30 AM by Malcolm X »

Lets look at the facts.

Who on this forum has actually spoken to the accusers specifically? you? JDB? no. they've issued soft denials in the past publicly and said they've reconciled, but no one ever said "I lied in my court documents about Sherrod Brown attacking me"

This has been discussed to death, Sherrod brown has been accused of domestic violence by his ex wife, his ex wife later said "it was a heated divorce and things get said." Sherrod Brown was later alleged to have physically assaulted his ex-wife's husband (back when he was SOS i want to say) this too was not specifically recanted by the victim, however the victim chose not to press charges. I am happy he has reconciled his differences with his ex-wife and her family, but it doesn't mean the allegations just disappear from being relevant to a discussion about a possible presidential run. Yes, here in Ohio, they've been used (and not used) in campaigns against Sherrod Brown, but to the voters in the other 49 states they've never been heard before. Something like that is a potential problem when running a presidential campaign. And mentioning this problem doesnt make me a troll, a liar, a fabricator, or disgusting in anyway. All I'm doing is bringing up actual possible roadblocks to a presidential run by Sherrod Brown, when that was discussed in this thread. I compare it to George Bush's "draft dodging" allegations which were talked to death in 1994, doesn't mean they werent legitimate roadblocks for his run in 2000

Actually, all the allegations were made by the ex-wife and have since repeatedly been specifically denied by her in clear and uncertain terms, but thanks for playing Smiley  Oh and only one candidate besides Mandel has tried to use this nonsense and that sleezebag was widely criticized for it too.  Anyway, with something like blatantly false allegations of domestic abuse, you kinda do have a duty to provide context when bringing it up.  And this isn't like the Bush draft-dodging allegations; it's more like the whisper campaign in 2000 alleging that McCain's adopted daughter was really a black love child.
Rjjr77
« Reply #340 on: September 22, 2017, 07:24:01 AM »

Lets look at the facts.

Actually, all the allegations were made by the ex-wife and have since repeatedly been specifically denied by her in clear and uncertain terms, but thanks for playing Smiley  Oh and only one candidate besides Mandel has tried to use this nonsense and that sleezebag was widely criticized for it too.  Anyway, with something like blatantly false allegations of domestic abuse, you kinda do have a duty to provide context when bringing it up.  And this isn't like the Bush draft-dodging allegations; it's more like the whisper campaign in 2000 alleging that McCain's adopted daughter was really a black love child.

Actually no they havent been "clearly denied by her" she has parsed her words pretty professionally about it, but shes never said I lied about this, or the claims I've made were 100% false. In fact articles about it have pointed out that they dont discuss this very openly. Things like the accusations are overstated, or divorce is difficult are not open denials...

Mandel used it.
His 1992 opponent used it
it was brought up by the media in his SOS reelection against Taft, which he lost.

I'd say its nothing like the McCain black child campaign because theres no basis for those allegations, thats a made up rumor, this, like the bush draft dodging stuff, had some actual proof behind it.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #341 on: October 02, 2017, 11:07:32 AM »

Mandel's getting endorsed by Posobiec and Thernovich.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #342 on: October 02, 2017, 12:00:49 PM »

Seen here: Two Nazis endorsing their pet rat's Senate campaign.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #343 on: October 09, 2017, 03:33:23 PM »

Mandel internal poll:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Link.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #344 on: October 10, 2017, 01:10:57 AM »

Mandel internal poll:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Link.

I don't know what to make of that, but Eckhart and Ackison are jokes. Gibbsons could crack 10%, if he gets lucky.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #345 on: October 10, 2017, 12:33:29 PM »

Brown has raised another $2.6 mil, bringing his total CoH to $8.3 mil. Mandel hasn't released his latest quarterly filing yet, but had $3.35 mil CoH as of his last filing.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #346 on: October 10, 2017, 09:58:15 PM »

I hate all of these GOP candidates.
Kantakouzenos
Rookie

« Reply #347 on: November 10, 2017, 01:11:14 AM »

Has there been one poll worthwhile poll of the general race yet?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #348 on: November 10, 2017, 08:40:31 AM »

Nope. The race has been fairly quiet the past month or so. Guess both Dems and the GOP were focusing on the local elections.
Kantakouzenos
Rookie

« Reply #349 on: November 11, 2017, 05:53:09 PM »

Nope. The race has been fairly quiet the past month or so. Guess both Dems and the GOP were focusing on the local elections.

That would make sense.  Hopefully there can be some good public polls of all the upcoming senate races. 
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies