Ohio leg. passes 6-week abortion ban - VETOED by Kasich; 20-week bill signed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:27:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ohio leg. passes 6-week abortion ban - VETOED by Kasich; 20-week bill signed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Ohio leg. passes 6-week abortion ban - VETOED by Kasich; 20-week bill signed  (Read 5981 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2016, 11:33:21 PM »

Some Republicans are resisting the GOP's transformation into a European-style right-wing party!

We won't stop fighting this issue until abortion is 100% illegal in all cases nationwide.

Nice to know you would rather kill the mother than let an abortion happen.

Don't try to shame ER for his beliefs when yours aren't much better.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2016, 11:39:27 PM »

Well, to break down your argument, I should support a rape exception because 1) republicans won't fund adoption - which I believe may change once society is no longer given the option of abortion, and thus aggressively push congress to more aggressively fund adoption, and 2) because not doing so is unpopular with women - which might work if I was a politician trying to win an election, but as a private citizen the popularity or lack thereof of my positions is not something I even think about.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2016, 12:14:13 AM »
« Edited: December 08, 2016, 12:16:32 AM by publicunofficial »

Well, to break down your argument, I should support a rape exception because 1) republicans won't fund adoption - which I believe may change once society is no longer given the option of abortion, and thus aggressively push congress to more aggressively fund adoption, and 2) because not doing so is unpopular with women - which might work if I was a politician trying to win an election, but as a private citizen the popularity or lack thereof of my positions is not something I even think about.

On point #1, you are insanely naive if you think criminalizing abortion will make people rise up and demand a better foster care system. Or if you think Congress would care. On point #2, holy crap you are a robot. It's not "unpopular" with women. It's not a f**king new tax or policy initiative. There are a lot of women who would kill themselves  rather then spend 9 months carrying around the child of a rapist. It's not something you should oppose because "oh no people might not like me", it's something you should oppose because you are a human being with a functioning sense of empathy to realize how pathologically cruel it is to force that on a woman.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2016, 12:33:24 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Source for that? I literally looked it up and the only thing that mentions abortion in the first couple pages is this: http://liveactionnews.org/raped-women-who-had-their-babies-defy-pro-choice-stereotypes/, which actually argues the opposite.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2016, 12:42:48 AM »

Source for that? I literally looked it up and the only thing that mentions abortion in the first couple pages is this: http://liveactionnews.org/raped-women-who-had-their-babies-defy-pro-choice-stereotypes/, which actually argues the opposite.

...Have you talked to a woman that isn't your mother or one of the ladies at your church? Like, ever?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2016, 12:53:27 AM »

...Have you talked to a woman that isn't your mother or one of the ladies at your church? Like, ever?

Obviously yes. I don't live in some cave and only come out for Church, or whatever stupid theory you cooked up.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2016, 01:08:26 AM »

Obviously yes. I don't live in some cave and only come out for Church, or whatever stupid theory you cooked up.

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. I was thinking "Surely, the only way this guy could be so cold and unsympathetic to rape victims is if he is completely ignorant of what a woman is." Now you don't have that excuse.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2016, 01:10:42 AM »

Good way to give the opposition talking points. Choice is a third rail for a lot of voters and there is not a lot the Republicans have to gain by doing this.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2016, 09:34:47 AM »

The GOP is passing this because they believe a Court vacancy will open up that will tip the Court to a pro-life majority. E.g, Kennedy retires in 2017, Trump appoints a pro-life replacement and there you go.

The case is going to take years to make its way through the Courts, but by 2018, if there's 5 pro-life justices, all they do is take this case, tweak it, and boom, Roe is illegal. Of course, it will not be de jure illegal, but de facto illegal. That's the point of bills like this. The point is to make Roe de facto illegal in most (red) states and to pass a 20 week ban. The GOP wants bills that make it extremely difficult and onerous to operate an abortion clinic or perform abortions without going through a gazillion loopholes.

The GOP is testing how far they can go with ticking off white women and not getting backlash. Speaking as a pro-lifer, this is probably the strategy I'd utilize to overturn Roe.

I do think the pendulum swings back and the Democrats end up resurrecting most of the Roe ruling in its 1973 context and striking down a lot of restrictions but this is where we are now.

The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2016, 09:35:24 AM »

Also...John Kasich is deeply pro-life. One of the nation's most pro-life governors. He'll sign this or let this become law with his signature.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2016, 09:41:57 AM »

Some Republicans are resisting the GOP's transformation into a European-style right-wing party!

We won't stop fighting this issue until abortion is 100% illegal in all cases nationwide.

Abort fascism now!
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2016, 11:09:37 AM »

Last thought on this. The GOP will push as far as they can without offending white women. If white women flee the GOP because of abortion, the GOP risks seeing the white vote go from a 20 point gap to a 10 point gap. You get the picture of what happens next if that happens.

Structurally unless the true believers get ahold of the GOP's strategy, white women will be able to get abortions. Or at least, their abortion issues will be mitigated by contraceptive availability.  In short, the GOP will never fully repeal Roe because of the importance of white women in the GOP coalition.

A full ban on abortion would immediately and decisively kill the GOP.

Also, the GOP is being stupid. per usual, nobody has thought this out at the RNC. If you make it harder for poor Latinas to have an abortion, guess what they do? They have more children and their mother gets angry at you and votes against the GOP ...and tells her kids to do the same too.

Abortion is ultimately a losing issue for the RNC.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2016, 02:37:45 PM »

Last thought on this. The GOP will push as far as they can without offending white women. If white women flee the GOP because of abortion, the GOP risks seeing the white vote go from a 20 point gap to a 10 point gap. You get the picture of what happens next if that happens.

Structurally unless the true believers get ahold of the GOP's strategy, white women will be able to get abortions. Or at least, their abortion issues will be mitigated by contraceptive availability.  In short, the GOP will never fully repeal Roe because of the importance of white women in the GOP coalition.

A full ban on abortion would immediately and decisively kill the GOP.

Also, the GOP is being stupid. per usual, nobody has thought this out at the RNC. If you make it harder for poor Latinas to have an abortion, guess what they do? They have more children and their mother gets angry at you and votes against the GOP ...and tells her kids to do the same too.

Abortion is ultimately a losing issue for the RNC.

At the end of the day, there are probably more single-issue pro-life voters then there are single-issue pro-choice voters, so the GOP will never "give up" on life, but you're right that there may be a certain point that they won't push beyond, so that people like Lisa Murkowski don't leave the party.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2016, 08:44:23 PM »

Remember when this site was actually able to comprehend the pro-life position and not just scream and call their opponents women haters like we're in another decade or a time line when most pro-life activists are also women.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2016, 08:59:42 PM »

http://www.lifenews.com/2015/07/17/abortion-is-never-medically-necessary-to-save-a-mothers-life-this-case-shows-why/
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2016, 09:00:53 PM »

imho the title "pro-life" is the peak of arrogance, since it automatically renders the other side as "pro-death", which is an easy eay to shut down any kind of argument in the first place.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2016, 09:15:43 PM »

imho the title "pro-life" is the peak of arrogance, since it automatically renders the other side as "pro-death", which is an easy eay to shut down any kind of argument in the first place.

You would then have to say the same about "pro-choice" with respect to "anti-choice".
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2016, 10:54:02 PM »

You would then have to say the same about "pro-choice" with respect to "anti-choice".

you are absolutely correct  - i just figure "anti-choice" sounds less cruel than "anti-life"/pro-death.

besides names.....

imho there is no debate regarding abortion in this country, cause either you are a stinking sexist or - without exaggeration - literally hitler...and you don't argue with sexists or - god save us - hitler.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2016, 11:18:31 PM »

At the end of the day, there are probably more single-issue pro-life voters then there are single-issue pro-choice voters, so the GOP will never "give up" on life, but you're right that there may be a certain point that they won't push beyond, so that people like Lisa Murkowski don't leave the party.
The reason that anti-abortion voters are more likely to make it a litmus test is that at present abortion is legal and  has been for over forty years. Even when anti-abortion politicians have acted, it usually hasn't been to outright ban first trimester abortions like this would. If SCOTUS ever does get out of the way and returns abortion to being a purely political issue again, it will energize the pro-choice movement far more than the anti-abortion movement.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2016, 11:35:35 PM »

Abortion should be safe, legal, and encouraged, if not mandatory for immature teenage girls who are driving up our poverty rate.

Was wondering when Wolverine would get in here and steer us down the eugenics tunnel.

What's so bad about eugenics?

You should actually answer his question.

wtf why would we even need to justify opposition to eugenics. If he said "we should kill all jews" would you be like "hey now, let's discuss his proposal fully"?
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2016, 01:10:54 PM »

Abortion should be safe, legal, and encouraged, if not mandatory for immature teenage girls who are driving up our poverty rate.

Was wondering when Wolverine would get in here and steer us down the eugenics tunnel.

What's so bad about eugenics?

You should actually answer his question.

wtf why would we even need to justify opposition to eugenics. If he said "we should kill all jews" would you be like "hey now, let's discuss his proposal fully"?

Killing people because of religion clearly helps no one. Eugenics isn't even a single policy, it's a big blanket of ideas with differing methods, motives, goals, and of course, many types of policies with obvious differences(disincentivizing people with crippling genetic disabilities from having children  by reducing tax breaks and literally murdering "inferior" people are both eugenics. One of them is murky and debatable, the other is insane and obviously extremely bad).
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2016, 01:12:06 PM »

Lol. "Eugenics is the only way because everyone else is stupid"
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2016, 09:13:32 PM »

http://www.lifenews.com/2015/07/17/abortion-is-never-medically-necessary-to-save-a-mothers-life-this-case-shows-why/

lol, please quote another source other than a PRO-LIFE website.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2016, 02:06:34 PM »

You mean you won't stop fighting. Most pro-lifers aren't as stridently absolutist on the issue as you are.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2016, 04:05:03 PM »

Henry J. GomezVerified account
‏@HenryJGomez
JUST IN: @JohnKasich vetoes Heartbeat Bill.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies