Ohio leg. passes 6-week abortion ban - VETOED by Kasich; 20-week bill signed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:54:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ohio leg. passes 6-week abortion ban - VETOED by Kasich; 20-week bill signed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Ohio leg. passes 6-week abortion ban - VETOED by Kasich; 20-week bill signed  (Read 5989 times)
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2016, 03:48:55 PM »

Abortion should be safe, legal, and encouraged, if not mandatory for immature teenage girls who are driving up our poverty rate.
God that's awful.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2016, 04:19:54 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2016, 04:25:02 PM by Torie »

I highly doubt the future 4 Liberal + Kennedy SCOTUS setup would uphold this.

Correct. This is DOA. As I see it, the only play is to restrict 3rd trimester abortions, except where it can be demonstrated that the physical health of the mother is endangered in a material way. That might not be deemed an undue burden on the mother. The 6 week time limit is ludicrous.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 04:24:43 PM »

Abortion should be safe, legal, and encouraged, if not mandatory for immature teenage girls who are driving up our poverty rate.
God that's awful.

It's heartwarming to see that a pro-choice person can cross the aisle and prove to be just as callous and misogynistic as his pro-life opponents
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2016, 04:33:47 PM »

God that's awful.

It's heartwarming to see that a pro-choice person can cross the aisle and prove to be just as callous and misogynistic as his pro-life opponents
Are you insinuating that I'm callous and misogynistic? Or am I misreading this?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2016, 04:42:07 PM »

God that's awful.

Are you insinuating that I'm callous and misogynistic? Or am I misreading this?

No I'm insinuating it about Wollverine
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2016, 04:46:38 PM »

Was wondering when Wolverine would get in here and steer us down the eugenics tunnel.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2016, 05:06:54 PM »

Stupid and unnecessary and it will be shot down quickly enough.

Yep.  The vast majority of people are sympathetic to limiting late-term abortions with the well-being of the fetus being their motivating factor ... but this is a ridiculous bill.  Even your standard Republican who opposes Roe v. Wade seems to be fine with an exception for rape, incest or AT LEAST life of the mother.

The article does not explicitly say whether a life exception is included or not. Obviously a life exception is a precondition to getting my support for this (As I said, I would veto this for strategic reasons regardless).

Rape and incest aren't good enough excuses for you, huh?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2016, 05:45:39 PM »

When a law is declared unconstitutional, all legislators who voted for it should be required to pay the challengers' legal fees out of their own pockets. That would cut out obviously unconstitutional nonsense like this.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2016, 06:08:28 PM »

Yep.  The vast majority of people are sympathetic to limiting late-term abortions with the well-being of the fetus being their motivating factor ... but this is a ridiculous bill.  Even your standard Republican who opposes Roe v. Wade seems to be fine with an exception for rape, incest or AT LEAST life of the mother.

The article does not explicitly say whether a life exception is included or not. Obviously a life exception is a precondition to getting my support for this (As I said, I would veto this for strategic reasons regardless).

I would sign a bill with such exceptions, but I would not have them in my ideal bill. I haven't really heard a good justification why rape or incest justifies abortion, if we take the premise that abortion is a morally wrong action. What I've heard is 1) increased risk of severe fetal abnormalities - which I think is probably best dealt with on a case-by-case basis rather than a blanket exception (this is a very small number of abortions, so it's not impractical at all) (if the life is truly worthless, then I could see myself agreeing to an exception), and 2) it wasn't their fault they got pregnant - in which case I point to the adoption industry (and as for the problems with adoption, I believe if we stopped spending money to fund planned murderhood and government-funded birth control (I believe birth control should be covered like any standard prescription with a reasonable co-pay), we could gradually eliminate the problems with the adoption industry).
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2016, 06:15:29 PM »

Was wondering when Wolverine would get in here and steer us down the eugenics tunnel.

What's so bad about eugenics?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2016, 06:20:11 PM »

Well, your positions just get weirder by the day. Pro-SSM, but (at least historically) anti-Trans, and one of the few people who actually calls himself pro-abortion.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2016, 06:50:34 PM »

OOoooh BOY!
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2016, 07:03:51 PM »

Yep.  The vast majority of people are sympathetic to limiting late-term abortions with the well-being of the fetus being their motivating factor ... but this is a ridiculous bill.  Even your standard Republican who opposes Roe v. Wade seems to be fine with an exception for rape, incest or AT LEAST life of the mother.

I would sign a bill with such exceptions, but I would not have them in my ideal bill. I haven't really heard a good justification why rape or incest justifies abortion, if we take the premise that abortion is a morally wrong action. What I've heard is 1) increased risk of severe fetal abnormalities - which I think is probably best dealt with on a case-by-case basis rather than a blanket exception (this is a very small number of abortions, so it's not impractical at all) (if the life is truly worthless, then I could see myself agreeing to an exception), and 2) it wasn't their fault they got pregnant - in which case I point to the adoption industry (and as for the problems with adoption, I believe if we stopped spending money to fund planned murderhood and government-funded birth control (I believe birth control should be covered like any standard prescription with a reasonable co-pay), we could gradually eliminate the problems with the adoption industry).

Yeah there's really no good arguments. I mean, women freak the hell out when you tell them they need to carry their rapist's baby in their body for 9 months, but that's really just a minor inconvenience. You know how hysterical women get.

And you're right, abolishing abortion will totally help fix our broken foster care system. I mean, Republicans LOVE sending money to social programs and they TOTALLY would if it wasn't for Planned Parenthood taking all the funding.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2016, 07:39:02 PM »

Not sure if your first point is serious, but if not, women screaming does not justify murder, sorry.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2016, 07:45:16 PM »

Edgy
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2016, 07:52:46 PM »

LOL, is this blatantly constitutional. If it isn't vetoed, the SCOTUS will shut it down. 
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2016, 08:51:46 PM »

Some Republicans are resisting the GOP's transformation into a European-style right-wing party!
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2016, 08:53:37 PM »

MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2016, 09:30:27 PM »

Maybe Justice Kennedy won't be on the Court any more when the case challenging this law finally gets heard by The Supremes.
Or maybe Justice Kennedy will still be on the Court, but he will have another change of heart, like he did shortly before Planned Parenthood v. Casey.
I don't trust Justice Kennedy to remain consistent. In fact, I just plain don't trust him at all.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2016, 09:45:59 PM »

Mandatory Abortions: They Stop Poverty!
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2016, 09:51:45 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2016, 10:00:33 PM by publicunofficial »

Not sure if your first point is serious, but if not, women screaming does not justify murder, sorry.

Is that what you characterize my argument as? "Women screaming"?

You're a real piece of work.

EDIT: Can you clarify, by the way, whether the women's screams you are indifferent towards are they screams they make when you make them deliver the baby of their rapist, or the screams during the rape? Or are you indifferent to both, good Christian that you are.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2016, 09:57:16 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2018, 06:08:49 PM by Keep My Smile »

You should actually answer his question.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2016, 10:49:48 PM »

keep telling us the war on women isn't real, guys

My position on abortion would be the same if men got pregnant instead of women.
a bizarre non sequitur, even by your standards

How is protecting babies a war on women?

The GOP has zero interest in "protecting babies". It has a vested interest in keeping pregnant women pregnant, nothing more. The moment a child is BORN the GOP ceases to give a damn about it.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2016, 11:06:38 PM »

Some Republicans are resisting the GOP's transformation into a European-style right-wing party!

We won't stop fighting this issue until abortion is 100% illegal in all cases nationwide.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2016, 11:18:08 PM »

We won't stop fighting this issue until abortion is 100% illegal in all cases nationwide.

Nice to know you would rather kill the mother than let an abortion happen.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies