Eternal Sunshine of the Democratic Mind
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:05:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Eternal Sunshine of the Democratic Mind
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17
Author Topic: Eternal Sunshine of the Democratic Mind  (Read 54281 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2017, 12:00:34 PM »

Andrew
June 24th, 2019

"During my time as Governor of New York, we have prospered despite Donald Trump’s efforts to divide us and tear us apart. In New York, unemployment is down, spending is down, taxes are down, and job growth is expanding rapidly. In addition, we have protected the rights of women to control their own bodies. We have led the way for tuition free public colleges and universities. We have brought early voting, and automatic voter registration to our citizens. This is the kind of leadership I hope to bring to the White House. At the same time, Donald Trump has tried to take away the rights of women everywhere. He has tried to make it harder to vote, and he has actively sought to make it harder to get a good education in America.

Everything Trump has done as President has failed for Americans. It’s certainly helped him personally and his billionaire cronies, but at the cost of real progress, and at the expense of the American people. With the Affordable Care Act, he said he was going to replace it with a better plan, but after 8 years he and the Republicans still couldn’t think of one. So what did they do? They eliminated some of the key parts that were working to keep costs down, and now it is unaffordable for millions of people that desperately need insurance. With his tax plan, the middle-class gets stiffed and the mega rich get rewarded, all while our deficits skyrocket.

We have a different vision for this nation. We need to go forward, not backward. Trump says he’s made America great, but the American people can see right through his act. We have the opportunity now to replace him with someone that will actually work to make America great. America will be great again when every child, regardless of how much money they have, can receive a full education and reach their full potential. With Trump, it’s either pay for private schools or get left behind. America will be great again when we roll back the disastrous and xenophobic immigration policies implemented without any input from Congress. America will be great again when we have a leader who can repair our standing in the world after the countless childish tweets and actions from our current President. Mr. Trump, America will be great again when we are finally rid of you!"

Andrew Cuomo promised months earlier to wait until the end of the New York legislative session to announce his intentions on running, but had come to regret the decision. While he had been announcing new progressive initiatives to remodel his image for the primaries, the other candidates were locking down endorsements and key mega donors. There were plenty still left for him to earn over the next few months, but he couldn’t feeling like he was already at a disadvantage. Andrew was polling near the back in the mid to low single digits, and he didn’t want to be the one standing on the edge of the stage during the debate.

As the only sitting Governor, he should have been doing better. They should have been paying more attention to him. Instead, all the buzz was on Elizabeth Warren and Cory Booker, who had entered the race despite Andrew’s efforts to prevent him from doing so. It didn’t matter, he would beat him anyway. He would beat them all. A strong showing in Iowa and New Hampshire would give him the momentum needed to make it through less favorable states, and survive long enough until the northeastern primaries. Then, the nomination would be in his grasp.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2017, 01:41:51 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2017, 04:14:51 PM by Castro »

Amy
August 20th, 2019

“And Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar! Ladies and Gentleman, the Democratic candidates for President of the United States.”

“So this is what last place feels like,” Amy thought to herself as she strained her neck to look out at the other candidates from the edge of the stage. Moderator Anderson Cooper began the questioning, and Amy prepared herself for the long night ahead.

“Senator Booker, in recent campaign speeches you have touted your credentials as a progressive Democrat by pointing to legislation that you have sponsored supporting prescription drug importation from Canada and other countries. But back when Senator Sanders introduced an amendment to do just that, you voted against it. Did you change your position as a way to appear more progressive for the Democratic primaries?"

For a moment Cory Booker stood there with his face caught in an expression resembling mild constipation, but it passed as he began his answer. “Well first of all let me say what an honor it is to be here tonight with my fellow Democrats as we promote a platform that all Americans can get behind as an alternative to thr disastrous policies of Donald Trump. I truly believe that we have to bring down the price of prescription drugs in our country, which unfortunately the President does not agree with. This is just another tone deaf position of the administration that simply is incompatible with what the American people really want. When I am president, I will take care of all of our citizens and that means lowering the costs essential care as well."

“But why did you vote against the original amendment allowing for-”

“I got behind and helped lead the way for the introduction of serious legislation dealing with the import of prescription drugs, and more importantly these bills provide for better protection for consumers that other bills lacked.”

Amy saw her opportunity to chime in, and she took it.

“Actually if I could just add to that, Senator I cosponsored that amendment with Senator Sanders and I can tell you that there were plenty of consumer safeguards in it. Now it was nice to have you come on board after all the criticism you got for opposing it the first time, but it would have been nice for you to be with us from the start. If we’re going to be a united force against Donald Trump next November, we’re going to need to advocate for the policies we believe in and not just because we think they’re popular.”

Amy had barely had a chance to speak since her brush with Cory Booker, but maybe her moment was coming up now as John Hickenlooper finished a tangent on recreational marijuana. Anderson Cooper turned his attention to Kirsten Gillibrand. No luck.

“Senator Gillibrand, you have frequently cited your constant opposition to President Trump’s policies and nominees as reasons why you should be president, but is it really such a good thing to not be open to compromise or work with the administration? What do you say to the voters in the audience and at home that would prefer a more open mind?"

“Anderson, not once have I voted on a nominee or a bill without giving it my full consideration as a United States Senator. When I voted against Donald Trump’s nominees, it was because they were among the most unqualified of appointments made in our history. Unlike others on this stage, I voted against Ben Carson because someone without any experience in housing in his entire life should not be Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. You can call it steadfast opposition if you want, but I call it doing my job as a responsible American.”

If the moderators wouldn’t call on her, Amy would have to bring herself into the conversation. She fought to interject into the topic as other candidates tried to do the same.

“Look it’s nice to be able to say you stood your ground against Trump, but not all of us were able to do so comfortably. It’s easy to oppose everything Donald Trump does when you’re from a state like New York, but coming from a purple state like Minnesota I put my own job at risk every time I come out against Trump. I didn’t work to stop Trump’s dangerous actions to score easy political points because I could, but because I knew it was the right thing to do."
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2017, 04:12:52 PM »

Moderator Chris Cuomo... isnt that a conflict of interest with his brother Andrew on stage?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2017, 04:16:12 PM »

Moderator Chris Cuomo... isnt that a conflict of interest with his brother Andrew on stage?

Oh wow for some reason I didn't think they were related. Thank you. OK, this is the one thing I will change since it's due to an immediate logic error and not based on new events.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2017, 04:53:12 PM »

So we know Klobuchar's in last, but how are the rest doing? If the first debate has come and gone, there must be numbers.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2017, 05:08:23 PM »

So we know Klobuchar's in last, but how are the rest doing? If the first debate has come and gone, there must be numbers.

From the image above, the order is: Warren>Booker>Harris>Gillibrand>Hickenlooper>O'Malley>Cuomo>Klobuchar.

For the bottom four candidates however, the difference in their polling numbers is minuscule and within a few percentage points since they are all pretty low in support. Polling averages prior to the debate are roughly Warren 33%, Booker 23%, Harris 13%, Gillibrand 11%, Hickenlooper 3%, O'Malley 3%, Cuomo 2%, Klobuchar 2%.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2017, 02:29:35 PM »

You know what, guys, I'll do a new thing, weekly feature timeline, sticking especially good one for 7 days. This will be first.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2017, 03:37:43 PM »

You know what, guys, I'll do a new thing, weekly feature timeline, sticking especially good one for 7 days. This will be first.

GREAT HONER!
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2017, 02:25:46 AM »

This is a great timeline!
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2017, 10:31:04 PM »

Elizabeth
September 22nd, 2019

“Hello, I’m Martha Raddatz and I’ll be your moderator tonight for the 2nd Democratic debate. Before we begin, let us take a moment of silence to honor the 41st President of the United States George Herbert Walker Bush, who passed away over the weekend.”

Elizabeth Warren closed her eyes and bowed her head slightly. It was a strange feeling to be missing the administrations of the Bushes. Of course she still recognized the policy disagreements she had with them, but President Trump had made it very easy to see in contrast who good and decent people really were. Then the moment ended, and the questions began to flow.

“Senator Warren, since being elected, President Trump has signed legislation passed by Congress through the reconciliation process to repeal individual portions of the Affordable Care Act, but you and many of your colleagues in the Senate have opposed the additional changes that required 60 votes. You have noted your preference to a universal health care system like the Medicare for All plan introduced by Senator Sanders. Is this a plan you would pursue if elected President?”

Elizabeth took a deep breath. “Thank you for the question Martha, and it is really an important one especially in times like these. When it was first passed, the Affordable Care Act was the first step in the right direction in order to make sure people that desperately needed health insurance could get it. I have fought President Trump every step of the way in his efforts to fully repeal this law, but unfortunately as you mentioned we have been sidestepped by procedural moves so that Senate Republicans could ram through changes that damaged our health care system. In the 2020 elections, we have a real opportunity to take back the White House, the House of Representatives, the Senate, and make some real progress on health care reform.”

Martha followed up to her response. “But does that also involve moving from the Affordable Care Act towards a single payer system and universal health care?”

“Martha again this was a good start, but yes we can do more and we must do more. The most obvious solution is a system of single payer health care, and yes that is something I will work towards in the White House. I know firsthand the importance of affordable health care. When my father had a heart attack, we didn’t have the insurance needed to cover all the costs, so my mother found a job answering phones to keep up with mortgage payments. I wish I could say we have moved on from stories like that, but it is a reality that millions of Americans know all too well. When I am president, I will work to make sure health care is affordable and available to as many Americans as possible.”

“Thank you Senator Warren." Martha turned her gaze to the edge of the stage. "Governor Hickenlooper, last year you and other Democrats, and some Republicans as well made clear a strong opposition to former Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ enforcement of federal laws against marijuana. Although you have defended the legalization of marijuana in Colorado, you personally have not stated whether you support legalization. If elected President, would you support national legislation legalizing marijuana?”

“Look, I have always said that as Governor of the great state of Colorado I would follow the will of my people and work on their behalf every day. When we became one of the first states to legalize and regulate marijuana, a lot still wasn’t known about how it would affect our state. It has turned out to be a great financial success over the years since it was passed, and is an easy alternative to what I have always believed to be the failed war on drugs, which the President misguidedly believes is the solution to drug problems in America. If I were so fortunate enough as to be elected President, I would act the same way I did as Governor. I would listen to the American people, to Congress, and pursue the best course of action that the people agreed with.”

“Thank you Governor Hickenlooper. Governor Cuomo, you have used much of your current term as Governor of New York to promote what you have called the hallmark of progressive legislation. However, some have accused you of making these moves in preparation for a presidential run. What do you say to people that feel ambition has ruled your decision-making as Governor?”

“First of all, let me say that the Presidency has rarely been on my mind during my time serving the great state of New York. Everything I have done has been in the best interest of New Yorkers, not just because they were things I believed in but because they were what was right for New York. As the only currently serving Governor on this stage, I can state unequivocally that when I see a problem, I work to fix it. When I need to get something done, I get it done. I am a reformer with results, and a proven record of fighting for progressive causes. I personally saw to it that same sex marriage was legalized in New York back in 2011, long before most states did so. In New York, we led the nation in the fight for paid family leave, affordable public college, accessible and transparent voting reforms, and common sense gun reform, not to mention a $15 minimum wage. I can promise you and back up my promises that I’m a progressive, and I get things done.”

Later that night, Elizabeth Warren sat down and exhaled loudly. The campaign was exhausting, but she kept telling herself that it would all be worth it in the end. Her poll numbers were still encouraging as she led in the mid 30s, but Cory Booker was still just behind her. At the same time, her early, dominating lead in Iowa was now dwindling to a smaller, more moderate lead. Winning Iowa and New Hampshire would give her some much needed momentum going into the more diverse states, especially with Nevada switching from a caucus to a primary format to keep its spot in the calendar. The last thing she needed was an early upset by someone else.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2017, 09:30:24 PM »

Thank you! The debate sections are taking longer than I thought, though I've gotten most of the planning done for the primary results.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2017, 01:43:13 PM »

Cory
October 19th, 2019

The lights came on, and Cory and the other candidates took their spots. Andrea Mitchell was moderating this time around, but Cory doubted that it would make much of a difference. Hopefully she would ask about real policy issues and not the personal attacks that had recently been waged against him.

“Senator Booker, in recent weeks, campaign ads have been run against you as being dishonest, invoking a series of personal stories of yours that were later shown to be not entirely accurate. You have disputed these claims, but the most controversial story is that of a drug dealer named T Bone who you have spoken emotionally about several times in the past. To set the record straight once and for all, I would just like to ask is T Bone real?”

Cory sighed internally. “As I have explained several times in the past, yes, T Bone is a real person and I am not in the business of making up stories for political gain. I don’t talk about him anymore because of the way the media has twisted my explanations, and in the interest of his privacy, but he is real and so were my experiences with him. I think a lot of people know a T Bone out there, and know the kind of situations I have described. As Mayor of Newark and Senator from New Jersey, I use these stories as somewhat of a composite of events to show the kind of things that happen on a regular basis on our streets. And unfortunately, these tragedies are occurring throughout the United States under Donald Trump’s watch. He has done nothing to clean up our streets or reduce violent crimes in our cities. Instead of working on rehabilitation for nonviolent offenders, he and the private for profit prison industry are colluding to lock up these people and turn them into criminals. That is certainly one thing that will change when I am President."

“Governor O’Malley, everyone on this stage has been critical of President Trump, but you have used language that is seen as particularly harsh. You have called him a carnival barker, a barbarian, an authoritarian dictator, and have even made casual comparisons between him and Adolph Hitler. At the same time, you have said that President Trump is a bully and lacks the temperament to deserve reelection. Are you really the most credible challenger to make such claims, given your own attacks?”

“Andrea, as one of the only candidates up here with real executive experience, I can assure you that I stand by everything I say. When I say something, I mean it. When I call Donald Trump a neanderthal, it’s because he displays such qualities in his treatment of women and minorities. When I call him a fascist, it’s because he is one! He’s an extreme right wing nationalist using authoritarian moves to bend the country to his will. Look, I do not say such things lightly. I live in fear of Donald Trump and the things he might do. America is much less safe today than it was four years ago, and I’m terrified of what could happen if he gets another four years to destroy this country that I love. We need someone that understands the job, respects the office, and more importantly respects the country and everyone in it, and I believe that I am the man for that job."

“Thank you Governor O'Malley. Senator Harris, you have said that you are personally opposed to the death penalty, and in 2004 as the District Attorney of San Francisco, you chose not to seek the death penalty against a man charged with murdering a police officer. What do you say to critics that might point to your position and experience as evidence of being weak on crime?"

"Well thank you for bringing up my time as District Attorney, because all you need to is look at my record in that position and you’ll know that I am the most effective candidate up here in dealing with crime. When I was the DA in San Francisco, we grew the felony conviction rate to the highest it had been in a generation. Not only that, but under my leadership we dramatically increased the percentage of convictions for murderers and drug dealers. Now compare that to the, as he likes to say, 'so-called' leadership we have in President Trump. Crime is up, the number of murders is skyrocketing, and instead of going after violent criminals the Trump administration is cracking down on small time drug users. And I agree with Cory on this one; Trump cares more about filling up his private prisons with people that smoke marijuana once than he does about actual criminal activity. He’s the one that’s weak on crime where it matters most.”
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2017, 02:38:14 PM »

John
November 24th, 2019

“Tonight is the night,” John Hickenlooper thought to himself. He needed a breakout moment. The media kept focusing on Booker, Warren, and now Harris with her praise from the last debate, but perhaps Chuck Todd would provide him an opportunity to prove his worth.

“Senator Klobuchar, last week North Korea announced that it has successfully tested a hydrogen bomb. In contrast to previous announcements, this test has been assessed by third party experts and South Korean agencies as a legitimate hydrogen bomb test. You have criticized President Trump’s actions in the past as too much of a 'wait and see' approach, so would you take more direct actions against North Korea in light of these recent tests?”

“Honestly, President Trump has been very lucky. Most of the time, he has had the benefit of only having to deal with crises of his own making. But with North Korea, this is a good example of why we shouldn’t be electing failed businessmen without any experience in legislative or foreign affairs. President Trump has done nothing to stop what’s going on in Russia, he has done nothing to stop what’s going on in Syria, so why should we be surprised when he does nothing to stop North Korea? If we keep doing things the way he wants us to, it’s only a matter of time before North Korea does something incredibly dangerous and pushes the world to the brink of disaster. For everyone’s safety, this man cannot have a second term.”

“Thank you Senator Klobuchar. Moving on, Senator Warren, under the new rules of the Democratic primaries recommended by the DNC Unity Commission, the power of Superdelegates has been dramatically reduced. Each state’s Superdelegates, now called PLEO delegates, will be awarded entirely to the popular vote winner of the state and will be pledged to that candidate for the first ballot. Whoever becomes the nominee of the Democratic Party would have considerable influence over the procedures of the DNC. If nominated, would you work to maintain these reforms or are there changes you would make to them?”

“I think if you talk to any Democrat that remembers the 2016 primaries, they’ll tell you how big of a mess our nominating process was. Under the leadership of the DNC Chair and Deputy Chair, Keith Ellison, Tom Perez, and the Unity Commission have come up with a solution that will bring greater transparency and fairness to the process. As Democrats, we are always looking for ways to improve the problems that exist in society, but the way to start doing that is by first winning elections. As you saw with Governor John Bel Edwards’ landslide reelection in Louisiana earlier this month, Democrats can win anywhere and everywhere if we have good communication with the American people.”

“Next to you, Governor Hickenlooper, the new Prime Minister of Israel Yair Lapid has announced his intention to work with President Trump on finding a two-state solution. Do you believe that such a plan is possible under the guidance of the Trump administration, and is a two-state solution one that you would pursue as President?”

John lifted his head, having almost forgotten that he was a participant in that night’s debate. He had barely gotten an entire answer out that night, and Chuck Todd had been focusing more on the higher polling candidates so the question caught him off guard. “Oh well I think my record is very clear on my support of Israel, and how I consider Israel America’s greatest ally in the middle east. Israel is a critical ally, and as President I would always work to keep our alliance strong and powerful in the region. I think...um...I don’t think President Trump will be able to get such plans done at the current time given his previous actions in destabilizing the middle east, but I would definitely pursue plans that Israel believed in and wanted so that we can finally have peace there. Peace is definitely a top priority, and that is something I will work for as President.”

Four days later...

John sat in his armchair on Thanksgiving night, but the presidential campaign was not something he was thankful for. It was long, it was draining, and it was keeping him from his family for extended periods of time. Over the past few days since the fourth debate, a thought had crept into John’s head and had stayed there. “I don’t want to do this anymore.” His polling had stalled in the low single digits, and a poll with him at 4% was now reason to smile. How could he compete with the likes of Cory Booker and Elizabeth Warren? It just wasn’t worth it anymore to stick it out until Iowa. He wasn’t going to win and he knew it. John closed his eyes for a moment, and then started to make the necessary preparations.

Three more days later…

“...and if we really want to be in the best possible position for defeating Donald Trump in November, we need to be a unified party. I believe that a smaller field will better help Americans get to know the choices they have in front of them, and in turn improve our chances of victory. When we win, all Americans will win. With that in mind, I am announcing the suspension of my campaign today for President.” And then there were seven.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2017, 03:28:40 PM »

will there be a late candidate jump in?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2017, 03:51:07 PM »

Good on O'Malley for jumping from 8th to 6th in the last debate.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2017, 04:03:14 PM »

It seems like most of the 'lanes' in the party are taken up (maybe even overcrowded, depending on how much M'OM and Harris are playing secondary and tertiary Progressives to Warren.)

On the outside, maybe Hickenlooper's departure inspires Schweitzer or Bullock. But it's generally a really bad idea to enter the nation's second most intense electoral process* unprepared.

*the most intense being the Presidential general, obvi.

Good on O'Malley for jumping from 8th to 6th in the last debate.
#MO'Mentum! He'll be 5th by IA!
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2017, 04:28:54 PM »

I actually really liked Hickenlooper Sad oh well time for Martin to shine
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2017, 01:35:50 PM »

“Next to you, Governor Hickenlooper, the new Prime Minister of Israel Yair Lapid has announced his intention to work with President Trump on finding a two-state solution. Do you believe that such a plan is possible under the guidance of the Trump administration, and is a two-state solution one that you would pursue as President?”

Ewww...
Great updates though! I like the debate podiums thing Smiley
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2017, 11:22:27 AM »

The only major politician that might have jumped in this late is Biden, but he has already ruled out a run. That leaves open the possibility for some entries by non-politicians, though Oprah, Sandberg, and Cuban have declined to run as well. Howard Schultz hasn't announced a decision, but talk around him has died out over the last year, and sources close to him say he is not likely to run.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2017, 12:13:06 PM »

Martin
January 6th, 2020

“Governor O’Malley, since he was elected President Trump has been involved in a series of controversies which critics have deemed ethically and legally concerning. Several high ranking Democrats, including some of the leadership in the DNC and House Minority Leader Tim Ryan have even brought up the “I” word: Impeachment. Do you think President Trump has committed the high crimes or misdemeanors necessary for an impeachment trial, and if so, what specific examples would you point to?”

"Honestly the only reason Donald Trump has not been removed from power is because the Republicans in Congress have been too spineless to do anything about his clearly illegal actions. From banning Muslims, accusing President Obama of treason, conducting drone strikes on American citizens abroad, and not to mention colluding with Russia as a foreign agent to get himself elected, there are no bounds to the disgusting moves Trump has made. If Donald Trump were a Democrat, he’d be in jail already. I wish we could have gotten rid of him on day one, but unfortunately there is no way to undue the damage that he has inflicted on this country during his term. What we can do, and it’s really easy, is make sure that this man does not have the chance to carry out four more years of his authoritarian regime and plunge this country even further into darkness."

"Governor Cuomo, the government that you lead is in arguably one of the most liberal states in the country, yet the New York State Senate is still controlled by the Republican Party. This is in part due to the presence of the Independent Democratic Caucus, a group of 8 Democratic State Senators that have formed a governing coalition with the Republicans in the State Senate. You have faced a lot of flak over the years from critics that say you have not done enough for your party, and that the lack of a Democratic Senate has prevented some of the key legislation that you personally have supported. What do you say to Democratic primary voters that worry about how you would govern as President?"

"I know some of my colleagues have criticized me for this, and have hid behind Super Pac ads instead of being honest about the situation. As a Governor of one of the largest states, I don’t have the benefit of casting symbolic votes to show how liberal I am. I do things that actually matter and have consequences, and sometimes that means working with the other side to get things done. It’s kind of ridiculous to attack me over the actions that some State Senators make, and I can only govern with the people that the voters of New York send me. If you want to know why nothing ever gets done in Washington, it’s because we keep sending politicians with no executive experience that think compromise is a dirty word.It may not be pretty and you may not like it, but the voters elected me and they elected the people I have to work with, and we owe it to not just the people of New York but the people of every state to work together and find common solutions in the interest of our nation."

“Thank you, Governor. Senator Gillibrand, over the holiday break Justice Clarence Thomas announced his plans to retire as soon as a successor is in place, and President Trump has nominated Judge Raymond Kethledge for the position. As you know, Senate Republicans blocked President Obama’s Supreme Court pick to replace Justice Scalia in 2016 because it was an election year. Do you believe President Trump has the authority to fill Justice Thomas’ seat now?”

“What Republicans in the Senate did under Mitch McConnell was quite frankly despicable, and forever tainted the sanctity of the judicial system. They should all feel ashamed of what they did in delegitimizing the powers of President Obama. And honestly, I was disappointed in some of my colleagues that allowed Justice Gorsuch to reach 60 votes in the Senate, and refused to send a message to Trump that this kind of behavior can not be tolerated. This is why it is so important that we not only take back the White House, but the Senate as well, because Republicans may just block whatever appointments one of us might make anyway. We’ve seen time and time again the great hypocrisy that exists for President Trump and his allies in Congress, where one standard applies for them and a different one for everyone else. Under their own reasoning, Supreme Court appointments should not be made during an election cycle, and confirming President Trump’s nominee would once again display their hypocrisy.”

Later that night, Martin O’Malley was feeling cautiously optimistic. For once, and at least for the moment, things were looking up. He had seen his stock rise over the past few weeks, as his poll numbers slightly increased and his podium spot edged closer to the center of the stage. However, he couldn’t help but remember the events of 2016 and the collapse he faced in Iowa. Bernie and Hillary didn’t leave him any room to grow, and his message was drowned out in the noise of warring factions. Who knows if he could have defeated Trump, but this time needed to be different. He was running out of money, and had put nearly all of his campaign into the Iowa caucus. It would be make or break for Martin O’Malley. In three weeks’ time, he would either get the boost he desperately needed, or he would meet his presidential end once more in The Hawkeye State.

Just at that moment, the email notification Martin had been waiting for alerted him. They were finally out: The endorsements of The Des Moines Register. Martin O'Malley took a quick look at the headline, and his face formed an expression of disappointment and confusion as he had only one immediate thought. "Her?"

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2017, 02:34:44 PM »

I'm thinking it could be Klobucher. Can't wait for this to continue!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2017, 02:44:06 PM »

god i hope it's Ann Veal from Arrested Development.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2017, 07:02:03 PM »

Lapid is great!
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2017, 05:30:56 PM »

god i hope it's Ann Veal from Arrested Development.

I've made a huge mistake.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2017, 12:49:41 PM »

Kamala
January 23rd, 2020

“Fearless.” “Knowledgeable.” “Principled.” The glowing words still danced through her head weeks later. Kamala Harris felt momentum coursing through her veins, and she could sense that the other candidates were well aware. In addition to the endorsement from The Des Moines Register, her internal polling had picked up by a few points. She was still in a distant third nationally, but her numbers in Iowa and New Hampshire were verging on competitive. If she could stay relevant through the first two contests, Kamala would be a strong competitor for the Nevada primary. Being the only Californian in the race had it’s perks, including a wide array of high profile connections for fundraising to keep her bankrolled throughout the primaries. For the final debate before the Iowa Caucus, Kamala was filled with the energy of a campaign on the upswing.

"Senator Warren, your closing statement."

“The Democratic Party needs a new direction, one that can bring us victory in November. Americans are tired of the same old rigged system that we have right now, where the elites rule over all while struggling families get ignored. I'm proud to have worked with Bernie Sanders to take on the corrupt oligarchy that Donald Trump has calling the shots, and I'm honored to have respected progressives like Sherrod Brown on my team to spread our message. Together, we can take on the corporations and banks that are working against the American people, and get government working again for you."

"Now to you, Senator Booker."

“We have an unstoppable message that's sweeping the nation, and one that Donald Trump is afraid of. This is why Democrats across the country, from Tom Vilsack here in Iowa to Jim Clyburn in South Carolina, have joined our campaign. Because I believe that we truly are a physical manifestation of love, and that it will take more than a bully in the White House to divide us. Because I believe that we are stronger when we stand together. Join me on Monday, and together we can rise up, stop this radical agenda from spreading further, and finally end the nightmare of Donald Trump.”

Then the time had arrived for her closing remarks. This was potentially Kamala Harris' last big chance to make an impression, and she wasn’t going to blow it.

“These past few months, I have had the opportunity to visit nearly every county here in Iowa. You’ve invited me into your homes, and I’ve listened to your concerns. What I’ve heard, what I’ve witnessed is a simple truth, one that Donald Trump refuses to accept. Iowa is hurting. The people of Iowa, and people all over America have seen their jobs disappear, their premiums rise, and their wages shrink in response to the tone-deaf policies and recklessness of this President. But I am listening, and I will always listen to you. Because when you feel the pain, the hardships of an economy on the brink of recession, I feel that pain too. Throughout my campaign, I’ve put out real solutions ready to go into effect on day one, and if you give me the chance I would like to show you a better way forward for our country. I hope I have earned your support, and even if I haven’t please come out and vote this Monday. Thank you.”

The Next Afternoon...

Kamala lounged at her desk with her campaign manager at her side, waiting for the final Iowa poll from The Des Moines Register. It wouldn’t include any shifts from the debate, but Iowa’s gold standard pollster Ann Selzer was still as good a baseline to use as any.

“What do you think, fourth? Fifth?” Kamala mused aloud.

“Maybe fourth, it’s definitely possible,” her campaign manager said. “Our pollings a little dated and Gillibrand and O’Malley have been floundering a bit lately, so I would say be ready for anything. Hell, we might even be—Oh it’s posted!” Kamala sat up.   

"Warren holds narrow lead over Booker in final Iowa Poll"

Elizabeth Warren 27%, Cory Booker 24%, Kamala Harris 14%, Martin O’Malley 9%, Kirsten Gillibrand 9%, Amy Klobuchar 6%, Andrew Cuomo 3%, Uncommitted 3%, Not Sure 5%

"Donald Trump dominates challenger Justin Amash in final Iowa Poll"

Donald Trump 73%, Justin Amash 11%, Not Sure 16%

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies