So, What Do You Think The Soon-To-Be Ex-Senators Will Be Doing?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:26:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  So, What Do You Think The Soon-To-Be Ex-Senators Will Be Doing?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So, What Do You Think The Soon-To-Be Ex-Senators Will Be Doing?  (Read 896 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2016, 06:42:14 PM »

Sort of a where are they are now thing.

Harry Reid will probably just retire to spend more time with his family while he can. Maybe once in a while attack Trump on Twitter. Mikulski too.
Barbara Boxer will be some sort of spokesperson for environmental causes
Dan Coats will return to lobbying and consulting. Vitter will probably take up that path, too
Kirk and Ayotte will be plotting some sort of political comeback, with Ayotte likely proving more successful.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 07:23:09 PM »

I actually don't completely hate Ayotte, so if we're going to have Republicans in charge I wouldn't mind seeing more of her at some point.
PAK Man

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 09:47:24 PM »

I can see Reid doing some sort of behind-the-scenes work for Democrats. I don't know what, but I don't think he's going to go completely quiet when it comes to politics.

Ayotte will definitely lay low for a few years before challenging Hassan to a rematch in 2022.

Coats will go back to being a lobbyist, and Vitter will join him.

Mikulski and Boxer will probably remain active in Democratic politics in some way.

I think Kirk's done with politics. If he had lost by a somewhat close margin, I could see him trying to stage a comeback. But he got absolutely clobbered, much more than I thought he was going to. Some have talked about him trying to run for IL-10 again, but I just don't see it happening.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 09:30:57 AM »

Ayotte could challenge Shaheen in 2020, but she'd be the underdog in that race.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 10:57:00 AM »

OP: the dems are going to save the environment and be with theor families while he republicans are going to be plotting and lobbying.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 11:13:45 AM »

OP: the dems are going to save the environment and be with theor families while he republicans are going to be plotting and lobbying.
That's because the Democratic former Senators are all too old to do much,
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 12:49:59 PM »

I actually suspect Shaheen may retire in 2020, or be challenged by Sununu as revenge for his big brother. The rating will depending on how well liked he is by then.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 12:52:58 PM »

I actually suspect Shaheen may retire in 2020, or be challenged by Sununu as revenge for his big brother. The rating will depending on how well liked he is by then.

Well, but Sununu is a male, so he would probably lose against Shaheen.
Chris is pro-choice unlike his big brother, so that does help in a socially liberal state like New Hampshire.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 01:23:47 PM »

Chris is pro-choice unlike his big brother, so that does help in a socially liberal state like New Hampshire.

Doesn't matter. White NH women will be out in force to protect their beloved Jeanne. Quite frankly, Shaheen and Climbing Maggie (UGH) will be lifers. Sad 

I thought you moved on from the NH thing after 2016?  Or, did you just moderate it?
Mike67
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 01:32:22 PM »

I wouldn't be shocked if they became lobbyists.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 03:10:30 PM »

Doesn't matter. White NH women will be out in force to protect their beloved Jeanne. Quite frankly, Shaheen and Climbing Maggie (UGH) will be lifers. Sad 

I thought you moved on from the NH thing after 2016?  Or, did you just moderate it?

Yeah, but I don't see Shaheen or Hassan losing. NH is still a tough state for Republicans to win, even if it isn't "deep blue".

Are you sure? New Hampshire is still a swing state as of now.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 05:30:45 PM »

Yeah, but I don't see Shaheen or Hassan losing. NH is still a tough state for Republicans to win, even if it isn't "deep blue".
[/quote

I think, after all this, it's just a difficult state to win, period. There is no default winner so to speak. Look at how close and varied the results of the big 3 races there were. Ayotte would have won if not for Day, and even Guinta put up more of a fight than we ALL expected.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 05:32:21 PM »

All of them will be lobbying soon enough.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 11:12:28 AM »

Reid: lobbyist
Boxer: lobbyist
Coats: lobbyist
Vitter: jail
Kirk: lobbyist
Ayotte: Trump cabinet or challenge Jeanne Shaheen in 2020 (should be easier than her 2016 reelection campaign since she doesn't have to face Maggie Hassan). I'd say the latter is more likely.

The lobbying gigs are just too good to pass up, so I'd expect most former US senators to choose them.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 01:12:23 PM »

Ayotte: Trump cabinet or challenge Jeanne Shaheen in 2020 (should be easier than her 2016 reelection campaign since she doesn't have to face Maggie Hassan). I'd say the latter is more likely.

The lobbying gigs are just too good to pass up, so I'd expect most former US senators to choose them.

Why is Hassan harder to beat than Shaheen? I guess Hassan is a little more moderate but otherwise I don't see a big difference.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 03:31:12 PM »

Why is Hassan harder to beat than Shaheen? I guess Hassan is a little more moderate but otherwise I don't see a big difference.
After what happened to Evan Bayh this year, I don't think Shaheen's last name is necessarily a guarantee of electoral success.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 03:33:33 PM »

Probably all lobbyists except for Ayotte who I can see running for nh-1 in 2018
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 10:24:47 PM »

Hassan is the highly popular governor of New Hampshire. She's also probably more moderate than the extremely partisan Shaheen.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 10:25:53 PM »

Hassan is the highly popular governor of New Hampshire. She's also probably more moderate than the extremely partisan Shaheen.

I doubt Hassan is that popular anymore.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 10:29:23 PM »

I doubt Hassan is that popular anymore.
Why? Because of the Senate campaign? I've spent all of three days in NH this whole year, so I'll admit I'm not incredibly familiar with the state's politics.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies