You've been elected the 45th President Of The United States?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:37:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  You've been elected the 45th President Of The United States?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: You've been elected the 45th President Of The United States?  (Read 1729 times)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2016, 09:57:50 PM »

Since we have one for Congress, I'd think we should get a bit more ambitious.

What are your top 3 (or more) priorities in your first 100 days.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 10:04:44 PM »

1. Single-payer
2. End NAFTA
3. Subsidies to steel, coal, and agriculture.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 10:07:59 PM »

1. Figuring out a way to end abortion immediately (too many people are dying to wait for SCOTUS in a few years).  Possibly just not using federal resources to go after states' abortion bans at first.

2. Repealing Obamacare

3. Cutting taxes

4. Relinquishing power of the federal government and allowing states to pass laws against federal law (I believe the supremacy clause should effectively go the other way)
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 10:14:42 PM »

1. Single payer health care
2. End corporate tax loopholes, increase taxes on the top 5% of wealth earners
3. Increase minimum wage to $15 hour nationwide
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 10:56:47 PM »

4. Relinquishing power of the federal government and allowing states to pass laws against federal law (I believe the supremacy clause should effectively go the other way)

So you think that states should be allowed to legalize abortion?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 11:03:57 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2016, 11:07:22 PM by Thank you, McCrory! »

So you think that states should be allowed to legalize abortion?

Hopefully, no state would, and any state that legalized abortion would receive no federal money for anything.  In a case like that, the federal government needs to have some tools because it would be too easy to cross state lines to kill a baby.  If one still had it legal, I would ask the other states to put travel bans to that state into effect to really make it impossible to allow baby killing.  With something as hideous as abortion, the ends justify the means.

OK, maybe there is a tiny use for federal law, but I think states should generally be more powerful than the federal government.  A better way to phrase it would be that states should be allowed to defy the Supreme Court and all other federal courts, which have WAY too much power today.

An example of my support for states rights is that I hate the idea of marijuana legalization, but I wouldn't support any action against states that legalize it.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 11:10:51 PM »

That would be a waste of time in the first 100 days. It would require a constitutional amendment, which isn't really something the president can wish for in any political climate remotely similar to this one. Too many Senators/House votes needed and then too many states required to ratify, which could take years.

-------

Mine:

1. Push very hard for Voting Rights Advancement Act of 2015 to pass (with my additions I posted in other thread), promising plenty of pork to opposition Senators/ if necessary.

2. Get new budget passed with no defunding measures on campaign finance disclosure rules, then sign EOs ordering financial disclosures of all federal contractors and also corporate CF disclosure requirements via SEC. I'd also push heavily for the DISCLOSE Act.

3. Would also push for EFC Act (labor/bargaining rights), in addition to amending it to both prohibit "right-to-work" laws and clarify labor board's ability to regulate overtime pay, after which I'd pass a beefed up version of Obama's overtime pay rules. New baseline would be set in the bill so new administrations can't roll it back.

Trying to be realistic here and not suggesting holy grail agenda items. Even then, my ideas^ there would be a tough sell unless I had a friendly Congress.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 01:27:52 AM »

Basically the Cruz agenda:

1. Move the Embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem
2. Repeal every single word of Obamacare
3. Reform the tax system (flatten the tax code, abolish worldwide taxation, lower corporate taxes, abolish the mortgage interest deduction) and abolish the IRS
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 01:32:02 AM »

1. Single payer

2. Address climate change

3. Raise minimum wage to $15/hr
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 02:08:52 AM »

1. Starting the process for Emunerated Powers, Balanced Budget, and Corporate Nonpersonhood Amendments.

2. Simplifying the tax system, banning collective contributions to campaigns, deregulating, and ending corporate welfare to unclog the pipes of capitalism.

3. Starting the process of eliminating unneeded or unlawful government policies and agencies.

Probably cheated by including multiple things in each billet but whatever
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 02:28:58 AM »

There are many things I would want to see happen but I would focus on this:

Abolish ObamaCare and replace it with a single payer universal health care system. That is the most fiscally sustainable health care system. Or at very least create a public option.
Make My Bank Account Great Again
KingCharles
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 03:03:12 AM »

1. Campaign finance reform

2. Climate Change

3. Single payer/Public option
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 04:17:21 AM »

things that i don't need congress for, hopefully:
- dismantle the american police/prison system
- recognise palestine
- directly align the u.s. with rojava
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 04:25:12 AM »

Only on domestic policy, since the president has more room in foreign policy.

1. Balancing the budget would be my first priority as president. Through a mix of tax increases for the wealthy, tax cuts for middle-class and small businesses to stimulate growth, and spending cuts (military, end waste and fraud).

2. Implement a federal minimum wage of $15 per hour.

3. An infrastructure program to rebuild America. Especially roads, bridges, airports, schools and new railways.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 05:40:58 AM »

1. Decisive foreign policy. I would grab China by the pussy and not release my firm grip until they agree not to take any more American jobs. I imagine the China would scream and beg for mercy. I would then lessen the grip, but keep my hand on in case they decide to screw us in the future.

2. In response to world opinion I would allow some Muslim refugees to the United States, establishing a mandatory waterboarding before admission, so they would know not to mess with us.

3. I would build a large and beautiful wall in the style of Taj Mahal. Then I'd declare bankruptcy so bad hombres, or the investors from the south, won't get their monies back. Serves them right.

4. Unlike my cowardly predecessors. I'll accept Taiwan's friend request on facebook. The great nation such as ours can friend and defriend without having to explain itself to some bad Maos.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 06:55:05 AM »

1. Use Iraqi oil.
2. Introduce cricket
3. Gun control.

LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 07:14:33 AM »

1. Appointing someone deserving VP
2. Resigning
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 07:35:42 AM »

1. Universal, single-payer healthcare
2. A national $15 an hour minimum wage law to rise with inflation
3. Abolition of tuition at all public colleges and universities and alleviating student loan debt

Others that I would pursue immediately afterwards:

4. An ambitious green infrastructure redevelopment program
5. Massive tax breaks for green energy development and businesses that reduce their footprint
6. Universal paid maternity and paternity leave, paid vacation days, subsidized childcare, and universal pre-k
7. Public housing development, akin to pre-Thatcher British counsil housing, to enable families affordable housing and a realistic shot at home ownership
8. Paid re-training programs to empower those from crippled industries to find new, rewarding careers
9. Renegotiating free trade deals on the basis of ensuring adequate wage, environmental, and workers' rights laws by our trade partners
10. A steep income and corporate tax system that rewards domestic and green investment and imposing taxes on all Wall Street investments and speculation
11. A cap on the ratio of CEO to workers salaries set at 50:1
12. Partial nationalization of all domestic natural resource extraction
13. Re-enactment og glass-steagall and creation of strict antitrust laws intended to break all excessively large banks and corporations
14. Overturn Citizens United and enact a strict prohibition against any individual donations over $50
15. End the revolving door by barring all legislators from working for any company with lobbyists for a minimum of 10 years
16. End gerrymandering by transferring districting decisions to independent agencies and provide every citizen with a free identification card and register them for voting
17. Enact a strict fair media law that requires balanced coverage from all news broadcasters and allow lawsuits against media outlets that intentionally spread verifiable lies
18. Partner with private companies to ensure expansion of public transportation, including ride shares and bike sharing programs
19. Eliminate the corn subsidy and place a hefty tax on unhealthy food and drinks, used to subsidize local farmers, farmers markets, and healthy foods
20. Gut the defense budget, including abolishing the NSA, closing most foreign bases, and refocuses the budget on providing a decent salary and benefits to existing military personnel
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 08:34:33 AM »

1. Banning gerrymandering by reform mandate on states.
2. Ending anti-discrimination regulations on a federal level.
3. Combine Wyden-Bennett with some aspects of BaucusCare.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 09:44:26 AM »
« Edited: December 09, 2016, 09:46:58 AM by dead0man »

Call Taiwan, recognize Somaliland, reschedule marijuana (can I even do that?), continue looking for smart people to fill positions and give free reign to the ones already hired.  Start building my Fix the Worst (FTW) coalition.  This is where countries that care get together, figure out the worst places on Earth, then go fix them to the best of their ability.  This will involve rich people, Armies, scientists and, unfortunately, politicians.  Have a big ass party with all my favorite bands and famous people.  That seems like enough.

edit-give grants to Brendon Small and Dan Harmon so I...ahem, we, can get to see the final season of Metalacolypse and the Community Movie
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 11:40:21 AM »

Given Trump is going to be the 44th president, I'd obviously spend my entire term repealing everything he did.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 11:43:44 AM »

Given Trump is going to be the 44th president, I'd obviously spend my entire term repealing everything he did.

Obama's 44th though. You are elected after him mate.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 12:07:54 PM »

Obama's 44th though. You are elected after him mate.

Grover Cleveland isn't Henry VI. He doesn't count as two people.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 12:22:21 PM »

1.  Create a National Infrastructure Investment Bank (NIIB) financed through a large-scale corporate tax repatriation scheme.  Commit to spending $2 trillion on infrastructure by 2025.

2.  Comprehensive immigration reform.  Something similar to the DREAM Act + amnesty for non-criminal aliens.

3.  Reform and simplify the tax code.  Cut corporate taxes.  Make the research and development tax credit permanent.  Eliminate the AMT.  Expand EITC.     

4.  Continue Obama's efforts to normalize relations with Cuba, and begin my own efforts to normalize relations with Iran.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2016, 01:33:18 PM »

1. Minimize US involvement in world affairs, slash foreign aid for non-humanitarian purposes, adopt a more non-interventionist/'America first'-centered foreign policy while increasing opportunities for Americans who want to do humanitarian work abroad (and negotiate with private businesses for paid vacation and higher wages for those who participate)

2. Improve Obamacare with the addition of health co-ops and a public option

3. End the War on Drugs and eliminate/defund the DEA

4. Work to eliminate gerrymandering in the states (long-term effort; probably wouldn't be pursued in the first hundred days)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies