Why isn't Pence resigning as governor now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:39:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why isn't Pence resigning as governor now?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why isn't Pence resigning as governor now?  (Read 1153 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2016, 04:08:48 AM »

Why isn't Mike Pence resigning as governor now? By doing so, he could fully focus on the presidential transition, where he is quite busy with. It would also allow Lt. Gov. Eric Holcomb, his elected sucessor, to take over the state a few weeks sooner and guarantee, that the state's chief executive is 100% on the job. Any thoughts?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 05:20:14 AM »

Biden didn't resign until January 15 (five days before the inauguration). Gore resigned on January 2. Quayle on January 3 and Mondale until December 30. Of course, none of the headed the transition team like Pence does which would be a good reason.

Future Vice President tends to resign later than Presidents (if they are in office that is, which wasn't a case for Bush Sr. or Cheney). Quite understandable.

Obama resigned as Senator on November 16, 12 days after his election. Bush Jr. resigned as Governor on December 21. Clinton resigned as Governor December 12. Reagan and Carter were already the formers.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 09:14:35 AM »

His term ends in January 9th anyways, so it doesn't really matter if he resigns now when you could say we're currently in the "lame-duck" period.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 10:02:43 AM »

He'll resign after the EC meets
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 10:33:30 AM »

I think Holcomb is running the state already anyway.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 11:25:52 AM »

Is it true that Pence is very, very unpopular among even a segment of Republicans?  My sister goes to Butler, and most of her Republican friends hate Pence.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 11:37:10 AM »

Might Pence be strategically waiting so Holcomb can run for a second term in 2020? OR would he still be able to if Pence resigned now. What are the rules for a Lt. Governor ascending before the end of the term?
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 10:08:42 PM »

If I were him I would just let my term expire.  In almost every state I can think of, the Lt Gov (or next in line of succession) acts as Governor when that person is out of the state.  Most Lt Govs don't have significant other duties which leave Holcomb as the acting governor.  So, I don't see why Pence should resign given that his term expires before he would become the Vice President. 

Given all the talk about unfaithful electors, he certainly should wait until the electors vote on Dec 19th and it is certain that at least 270 of them have voted for him. 
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 11:56:43 AM »

Is it true that Pence is very, very unpopular among even a segment of Republicans?  My sister goes to Butler, and most of her Republican friends hate Pence.

Yes Indiana has a lot of fiscal conservative social moderate types in the Indy metro area and among college students who aren't big on Pence's social agenda.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »

Given all the talk about unfaithful electors, he certainly should wait until the electors vote on Dec 19th and it is certain that at least 270 of them have voted for him. 

Given his gubernatorial term ends in January anyway, I don't see much sense in this.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 01:23:55 AM »

Yes Indiana has a lot of fiscal conservative social moderate types in the Indy metro area and among college students who aren't big on Pence's social agenda.

Hell, I know some Indiana socons who think he's a fanatical slavering moron.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies