ND-SEN: Cramer likely to run
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:28:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ND-SEN: Cramer likely to run
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: ND-SEN: Cramer likely to run  (Read 7170 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2016, 11:37:21 AM »

Whether or not Heitkamp joins the Cabinet.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 11:40:11 AM »

So Cory Gardner is NRSC Chairman? I would have preferred Tillis; politically I like Gardner better but Tillis is clearly the better strategist/campaigner, as he was triaged IIRC yet still won, while Gardner won by what appeared to be an underwhelming margin. But I wish Gardner well and I know he'll still do a great job.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 11:59:09 AM »

It will be interesting to see how this race pans out if Heitkamp decides to run for re-election and not go into Trumps cabinet. Only thing working in Heitkamp's favor is that  it is a small state were campaigning can make a huge difference and Hillary Clinton will not be in the White House.

I know its controversial on this site, but I advise against making hasty predictions 23 months before the election.
mds32
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 12:35:41 PM »

If Cramer runs I think he makes this a toss-up reason being he will have been a for 3-terms once this election occurs and will have served in Congress as long as Heitkemp. It'll be a tossup, whether she wants to go another round of attempting win in a state the President-elect defeated her party's candidate 62-27 is her business. If I were her I'd probably take the cabinet position.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »

I know its controversial on this site, but I advise against making hasty predictions 23 months before the election.

Dude, you say this in every thread. lol

Anyway, while I think that this race will be much more competitive than IN or MO (lol), it is worth noting that Cramer won his last election (this year) with 69% of the vote!

No I do not.

And what evidence do you have that McCaskill will lose by a 2 to 1 margin and Donnelly will lose by a 3 to 2 margin? We really have no idea yet.

If Cramer runs I do think ND is lean R. I am not rating any non entrenched incumbent race as likely or safe at this point.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 12:39:47 PM »

He'll be trouble for Heitkamp, unless he runs a lousy campaign, of course. I still see Heitkamp as the most vulnerable Democrat, and if she tries to pull a Pryor/Landrieu and distance herself from the Democrats to the point of arguing that she's effectively not a Democrat, she'll probably only hurt herself more.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 12:44:11 PM »

Anyway, while I think that this race will be much more competitive than IN or MO (lol), it is worth noting that Cramer won his last election (this year) with 69% of the vote!

No I do not.

And what evidence do you have that McCaskill will lose by a 2 to 1 margin and Donnelly will lose by a 3 to 2 margin? We really have no idea yet.

If Cramer runs I do think ND is lean R. I am not rating any non entrenched incumbent race as likely or safe at this point.

Okay.... so where did I say that McCaskill will lose "2 to 1" or that Donnelly will lose "by a 3 to 2 margin"? You're creating ridiculous strawmen. I think MO is Likely R and IN is Lean R, but all the other Romney state Democrats are in Tossup races, even ND.

Even many Republicans from Missouri think McCaskill is vastly underestimated. And she is not trying to distance herself from being a Democrat. Counterintuitively, that would hurt her if she did. It is too early in the game to rate any incumbent as a likely loss. Dynamics are going to be a little different from 2010 and 2014.

Heitkamp may have a difficult time defeating Cramer. She still won as Romney carried the state very easily, so I am not counting her out at this point. She will need to run an excellent, flawless campaign. In a state the size of North Dakota, its not impossible.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 12:56:42 PM »

No I do not.

Okay.... so where did I say that McCaskill will lose "2 to 1" or that Donnelly will lose "by a 3 to 2 margin"? You're creating ridiculous strawmen. I think MO is Likely R and IN is Lean R, but all the other Romney state Democrats are in Tossup races, even ND.

Even many Republicans from Missouri think McCaskill is vastly underestimated. And she is not trying to distance herself from being a Democrat. Counterintuitively, that would hurt her if she did. It is too early in the game to rate any incumbent as a likely loss. Dynamics are going to be a little different from 2010 and 2014.

Heitkamp may have a difficult time defeating Cramer. She still won as Romney carried the state very easily, so I am not counting her out at this point. She will need to run an excellent, flawless campaign. In a state the size of North Dakota, its not impossible.
Won by 0.9%. But she still outperformed Mittens by double digits, while Cramer did really really well this year.
At this point, all I can say is
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 03:58:16 PM »

Literally hate this guy (tried to pull for Trump in a Cruz-favoring state during a Cruz peak in the polls). Obviously I don't live in North Dakota, but if I did I'd back close to anyone against him in a Republican primary, and I'd vote for a reasonable conservative Democrat like Heitkamp against him in a heartbeat.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 05:08:21 PM »

So Cory Gardner is NRSC Chairman? I would have preferred Tillis; politically I like Gardner better but Tillis is clearly the better strategist/campaigner, as he was triaged IIRC yet still won, while Gardner won by what appeared to be an underwhelming margin. But I wish Gardner well and I know he'll still do a great job.

No? Tillis was never triaged. National Republican groups, like the NRSC, dropped $6M in the last few weeks to put Tillis over the top.

North Carolina, especially in a midterm, is much more favorable for Republicans than Colorado. The fact that race was tight says a lot about Tillis as a candidate and his campaign.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 05:19:09 PM »

George B. Sinner should run for his House seat.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 05:27:13 PM »

Literally hate this guy (tried to pull for Trump in a Cruz-favoring state during a Cruz peak in the polls). Obviously I don't live in North Dakota, but if I did I'd back close to anyone against him in a Republican primary, and I'd vote for a reasonable conservative Democrat like Heitkamp against him in a heartbeat.
You'd probably like Rick Becker: He's a hardline fiscal libertarian who is pro choice and pro drugs. Sounds like your kind of guy.

North Dakota Republicans have also been known for dumping the GOP Convention's endorsed candidate for someone else in the primary: Of course Cramer did that in 2012, and of course we all remember when Doug Burgum pulled the upset in the primary. So Becker might run and upset Cramer, but I think that would piss away the seat and I would vote for Heitkamp in that case.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 05:42:21 PM »

No? Tillis was never triaged. National Republican groups, like the NRSC, dropped $6M in the last few weeks to put Tillis over the top.

North Carolina, especially in a midterm, is much more favorable for Republicans than Colorado. The fact that race was tight says a lot about Tillis as a candidate and his campaign.
Never mind, my apologies. I just remember most people, going into election night, viewed Hagan as the favorite and seem to recall many describing Tillis's win as an upset. Plus I thought I read somewhere that he stopped getting NRSC cash in August. I was mistaken, then.

Rob Portman would have been better than Tillis and Garnder combined, IMO.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 07:30:42 PM »

Yeah, this is the one I'm most pessimistic about. I have it as Lean R for now.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 07:48:57 PM »

Never mind, my apologies. I just remember most people, going into election night, viewed Hagan as the favorite and seem to recall many describing Tillis's win as an upset. Plus I thought I read somewhere that he stopped getting NRSC cash in August. I was mistaken, then.

Hagan had about an eight point lead a month out. Tillis tightened the race after that, but Hagan maintained about a one point lead in election day, and so people predicted that she had run out the clock and would barely survive.

Ultimately, Tillis is lucky the election was held when it was. Had it been held even half a week earlier, Hagan would have won.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 08:18:17 PM »

Hagan had about an eight point lead a month out. Tillis tightened the race after that, but Hagan maintained about a one point lead in election day, and so people predicted that she had run out the clock and would barely survive.

Ultimately, Tillis is lucky the election was held when it was. Had it been held even half a week earlier, Hagan would have won.

The trajectory of that race sort of matches this year's presidential race. Tillis's numbers bobbed up and down, especially when the controversial legislature was in session, but Hagan's numbers rarely exceeded 46-47%.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 08:28:27 PM »

Cramer would make an excellent Senator. Has my support 100%.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 11:31:31 PM »

and I'd vote for a reasonable conservative Democrat like Heitkamp against him in a heartbeat.

Except that Heitkamp is not a conservative Democrat.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2016, 12:03:54 AM »

and I'd vote for a reasonable conservative Democrat like Heitkamp against him in a heartbeat.

Except that Heitkamp is not a conservative Democrat.

I was disappointed at her refusal to sign on to an attempted late term abortion ban a while back, something she said she would support in her campaign, but I do need to take a more through look at her political views before deciding whether I can endorse her.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2016, 06:09:48 PM »

So... is there any Democrat in ND who could make a special election against Cramer competitive?

Joel Heitkamp, perhaps?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2016, 06:26:37 PM »

Cramer would make an excellent Senator. Has my support 100%.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2016, 06:36:10 PM »

So... is there any Democrat in ND who could make a special election against Cramer competitive?
Many Democrats who represented R-leaning districts in the legislature were defeated. Though I think a handful survived. Maybe one of those? Or Earl Pomeroy?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2016, 09:31:15 PM »

Great news! All aboard the Trump train!

Link

Trump reportedly will name US Sen Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND) as Agriculture Secretary. Under ND law, a special election will be held for seat.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2016, 12:42:09 AM »

Gardner was R+2.5 in the RCP average, and he won by 2.0.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2016, 02:12:30 AM »

I would make a guess that she has polling against Cramer and if she says yes to being in Trump's cabinet, that will likely indicate what those polls are showing.

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies