WA-05 Special Election Who Runs???
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:59:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WA-05 Special Election Who Runs???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: WA-05 Special Election Who Runs???  (Read 2218 times)
mds32
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2016, 12:56:11 PM »

Who will run to replace Rep. McMorris Rodgers?

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/09/trump-expected-to-pick-rep-cathy-mcmorris-rodgers-as-interior-secretary.html
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 12:57:44 PM »

State Sen. Michael Baumgartner (R-Spokane) and 2012 Senate nominee is one possibility. But I imagine quite a few will run, this will be a big opportunity. Also, Republicans need to avoid a D vs. D runoff.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 01:10:18 PM »

By which margin Trump won this district?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 01:13:00 PM »

Trump won 52-39
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 01:42:56 PM »

So third parties got 9% and Trump only got 52%?  That tells me they simply hated Hillary but would be willing to vote for a better Democrat.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 02:18:30 PM »

I gave some of my longer thoughts in the WA statewide thread.

Knezovich would be best Republican, Billig would be the best Democrat
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 03:39:54 PM »

So third parties got 9% and Trump only got 52%?  That tells me they simply hated Hillary but would be willing to vote for a better Democrat.
Or maybe they lean Republican but can't stand Trump?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 03:55:04 PM »

This district was 54-44 Romney, for the record; Trump did a little better in the margin but a little worse in the actual vote percentage. Much like in the actual US, in fact. Didn't really trend in any direction (though it's third-party vote is significantly above average).

Anyway, I like Baumgartner's background as a Republican former FSO, and as an early supporter of marijuana legalization. Hope he wins this.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 04:41:55 PM »

This district was 54-44 Romney, for the record; Trump did a little better in the margin but a little worse in the actual vote percentage. Much like in the actual US, in fact. Didn't really trend in any direction (though it's third-party vote is significantly above average).

Anyway, I like Baumgartner's background as a Republican former FSO, and as an early supporter of marijuana legalization. Hope he wins this.

I imagine one of Baumgartner or Knezovich runs.

I doubt Pakootas gets in. Big part of his runs were the sense by the substantial Native populations here that Cathy was uniquely hostile to their interests compared to Nethercutt and Foley before him.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 04:50:42 PM »

Or maybe they lean Republican but can't stand Trump?

If they abandoned Trump for third parties, they would at least be open to a Democrat, as long as he or she is a good candidate.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 04:56:34 PM »

I like Baumgartner EXCEPT for marijuana, that's not a deal dealer for me though as he sounds like one awesome person. Knezovich seems like an HP, I want Baumgartner to win even though I'm probably the forum's biggest drug hawk LOL.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 05:36:12 PM »

I like Baumgartner EXCEPT for marijuana, that's not a deal dealer for me though as he sounds like one awesome person. Knezovich seems like an HP, I want Baumgartner to win even though I'm probably the forum's biggest drug hawk LOL.

Why do you support marijuana prohibition, if I may ask? You seem like the type of Republican who'd support weed legalization.

LOL when I said "I'm probably the forum's biggest drug hawk LOL." I was sort of exaggerating. I oppose drug legalization mostly for symbolic reasons: I feel like if the government says it's legal, kids get mixed signals that it might be okay, as it's become quite trendy among youth. I wouldn't really care one way or another as long as we did enough to inform people that drugs are not cool. Plus it's like the 50th thing or so that's on my mind at the ballots.

Now it's my turn to ask you something: Why, why, are you honoring (if you aren't, my apologies) an evil, oppressive dictator who opposed free speech, executed countless innocent people simply for disagreeing with him politically, and caused millions to suffer?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 05:53:50 PM »

Why do you support marijuana prohibition, if I may ask? You seem like the type of Republican who'd support weed legalization.

LOL when I said "I'm probably the forum's biggest drug hawk LOL." I was sort of exaggerating. I oppose drug legalization mostly for symbolic reasons: I feel like if the government says it's legal, kids get mixed signals that it might be okay, as it's become quite trendy among youth. I wouldn't really care one way or another as long as we did enough to inform people that drugs are not cool. Plus it's like the 50th thing or so that's on my mind at the ballots.

Marijuana is one of the least dangerous drugs out there. Less dangerous than Alcohol, which is completely legal as long as you're old enough. The reason why the government doesn't say this is because some crackpot policemen convinced them that it was a "gateway drug" (a meaningless term, as people have vastly different reasons for taking drugs), and so they put it at Schedule I several decades ago without any real reasoning behind it. In modern times, despite different public views on the substance, saying you're endorsed by the Local Sheriff's organization is still a really good way to get votes, and they love endorsing people who are all in on the "War on Drugs", so most politicians just conveniently ignore the bad scheduling and reap the rewards.

Of course, you can abuse marijuana and get really bad side effects, but that's true for Tobacco, Alcohol, Tylenol, Aspirin, Allergy Medication, Caffeine, and even food in general. That is not a reason to prohibit it on its own. Use of Marijuana in moderation will have little permanent negative effect, and may have a permanent positive effect if you have certain medical conditions. It's senseless to prohibit it. Sure, post an age limit, tax it, put warning labels on it, that all makes sense. But making it illegal definitely does not.

Thankfully, with Young people and even a decent amount of middle-aged people having woken up and realized the truth here, prohibition of marijuana will end within 20 years, probably sooner. Jeff Sessions (if he's confirmed) can slow it down, but he can't stop it forever.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 06:01:15 PM »

I can assure you Knezovich is not an HP. He's responsible for fighting to keep the Bundy/militia nuts from taking over the county GOP. He's pretty sharp on modern LEO issues, too, and is broadly respected on both sides of the aisle
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 06:04:16 PM »

Could a Tom Foley hologram win here?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 06:14:01 PM »

Marijuana is one of the least dangerous drugs out there. Less dangerous than Alcohol, which is completely legal as long as you're old enough. The reason why the government doesn't say this is because some crackpot policemen convinced them that it was a "gateway drug" (a meaningless term, as people have vastly different reasons for taking drugs), and so they put it at Schedule I several decades ago without any real reasoning behind it. In modern times, despite different public views on the substance, saying you're endorsed by the Local Sheriff's organization is still a really good way to get votes, and they love endorsing people who are all in on the "War on Drugs", so most politicians just conveniently ignore the bad scheduling and reap the rewards.

Of course, you can abuse marijuana and get really bad side effects, but that's true for Tobacco, Alcohol, Tylenol, Aspirin, Allergy Medication, Caffeine, and even food in general. That is not a reason to prohibit it on its own. Use of Marijuana in moderation will have little permanent negative effect, and may have a permanent positive effect if you have certain medical conditions. It's senseless to prohibit it. Sure, post an age limit, tax it, put warning labels on it, that all makes sense. But making it illegal definitely does not.

Thankfully, with Young people and even a decent amount of middle-aged people having woken up and realized the truth here, prohibition of marijuana will end within 20 years, probably sooner. Jeff Sessions (if he's confirmed) can slow it down, but he can't stop it forever.

Fine. Thanks for your opinion. We are all entitled to our own. I am bracing for that. I think (recreational) drugs are bad to use, but I can't stop others. I am just personally opposed to it, so, so, much. And I don't do any of it.

Now let's go back to talking about the actual special election.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 06:18:21 PM »

I can assure you Knezovich is not an HP. He's responsible for fighting to keep the Bundy/militia nuts from taking over the county GOP. He's pretty sharp on modern LEO issues, too, and is broadly respected on both sides of the aisle
Never mind, I went back to RRH and re-read their article about him, and it looks like I got him mixed up with Spokane Mayor David Condon, who "has faced bad headlines for his handling of a sexual assault scandal in the police force." Sorry for that.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 07:25:13 PM »

Never mind, I went back to RRH and re-read their article about him, and it looks like I got him mixed up with Spokane Mayor David Condon, who "has faced bad headlines for his handling of a sexual assault scandal in the police force." Sorry for that.

If we're talking Condon, then he's an HP and more. I could go into how utterly terrible the "Boy Mayor" &: at length if anybody wants me to. Amazingly, Democrats couldn't dislodge him in 2015 so despite being an incompetent boob he's the only Spokane Mayor to *ever* be re-elected since they went to a strong Mayor system in the 1970s.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 07:47:42 PM »

If we're talking Condon, then he's an HP and more. I could go into how utterly terrible the "Boy Mayor" &: at length if anybody wants me to. Amazingly, Democrats couldn't dislodge him in 2015 so despite being an incompetent boob he's the only Spokane Mayor to *ever* be re-elected since they went to a strong Mayor system in the 1970s.
Disgusting. Of all people he has the distinction of being the first reelected, what a shame. I am so sorry for Knezovich that I got him mixed up with Condon, then.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 07:50:41 PM »

Apparently there's a whole website devoted to attacking Knezovich lol
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 09:11:48 PM »

I believe that's the one run by the Bundy-lite militia types who are triggered by Ozzie's constant critique of them and their wacko hero State Rep. Matt shea
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 09:18:03 PM »

Disgusting. Of all people he has the distinction of being the first reelected, what a shame. I am so sorry for Knezovich that I got him mixed up with Condon, then.

If you want to be entertained, seriously go down the rabbit hole of recent Spokane politics. It's insane, from Condon to Jim West, a previous Republican Mayor who was recalled for a DGLB sex scandal
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 09:38:14 PM »

Ben Stuckart is in (Spokane City Council President, Democrat)
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2016, 12:01:43 AM »

Baumgartner in.
Two FF's running in him and Knezovich.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2016, 12:55:22 AM »

Unlikely to win, and he's not the type of Dem who'd do well district wide. Very polarizing
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies