Democrats: Which coalition would you prefer your party have?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:55:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Democrats: Which coalition would you prefer your party have?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which?
Pre-1990s class based coalition

Post 1990s "third way" coalition

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Democrats: Which coalition would you prefer your party have?  (Read 1509 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 10, 2016, 06:50:29 PM »

Do you prefer the modern Democratic party which focuses on minorities and educated whites or the pre-third way coalition focused on both poor minorities and "working class" whites?
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 07:01:08 PM »

Class based. Rednecks in, yuppies out.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 08:10:00 PM »

Class based. So long as we retain our championing of minority rights, I'd be perfectly happy with that.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 09:23:11 PM »

Class based. So long as we retain our championing of minority rights, I'd be perfectly happy with that.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 11:33:49 PM »

Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 12:45:08 AM »

Educated whites + minorities for me.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 01:23:37 AM »

SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 10:00:53 AM »

A party that ignored minority rights wouldn't exactly be class based.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 10:57:53 AM »

A party that ignored minority rights wouldn't exactly be class based.

Blacks supported the new deal coalition, in spite of Democrats being the more racist party back then.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 11:41:37 AM »

Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 12:41:15 PM »

College educated + working class minorities + working class whites

Preferably Smiley

Though I know that it is often difficult for the first two to get along with the last one. In that case, I'd rather have the first two.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 01:57:29 PM »

Let's suppose we get a purely working class party like the days of old (plus minorities), like the vast majority of Atlasian Democrats seem to want.  Which, if we are to use Pew's terminology from that 2014 poll, would mean a Democratic Party composed of mainly Solid Liberals, Hard-Pressed Skeptics, and the Faith and Family Left, while essentially bidding adieu to the Next Generation Left.  

That would mean a more socially conservative party in addition to being more economically populist if we want to reflect our altered demographics faithfully.  

Is that what you really want?  
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 02:15:55 PM »

Let's suppose we get a purely working class party like the days of old (plus minorities), like the vast majority of Atlasian Democrats seem to want.  Which, if we are to use Pew's terminology from that 2014 poll, would mean a Democratic Party composed of mainly Solid Liberals, Hard-Pressed Skeptics, and the Faith and Family Left, while essentially bidding adieu to the Next Generation Left.  

That would mean a more socially conservative party in addition to being more economically populist if we want to reflect our altered demographics faithfully.  

That sounds great
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 02:32:28 PM »

That sounds great
That's what I've been dreaming of for years. That's what the Democratic Party was founded on, that's what the Democratic Party strove for during the New Deal, and that's the Democratic Party we need today.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 04:31:20 PM »

That sounds great
That's what I've been dreaming of for years. That's what the Democratic Party was founded on, that's what the Democratic Party strove for during the New Deal, and that's the Democratic Party we need today.

This is why its a good thing that Atlas dems aren't the driving force in the party.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 04:35:12 PM »

That sounds great

Yep. I might go back to a red avatar if that happened.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 04:39:58 PM »

That sounds great
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 05:23:16 PM »

That sounds great

This is why its a good thing that Atlas dems aren't the driving force in the party.
Yeah. If they were, eugenics would be a major part of the platform Wink
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 05:30:06 PM »

That sounds great
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 05:53:45 PM »

That sounds great

*facepalm* Did you even read my recent posts in those boards.

More importantly, are you aware that more socon = opposition to gay marriage, opposition to letting trans people even exist, etc.?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2016, 06:04:02 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2016, 06:06:49 PM by Frodo »

Einzige on AAD is a nazi troll, but he's spot on with this post:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Democratic Party doesn't need to - and shouldn't - sacrifice progressive views on "social issues" (kind of a silly term, but w/e) to appeal to white-working class voters. People don't weigh social and economic issues equally; as long as we offer a genuine populist alternative to the Republican Party that is effective at feeding and housing the working people of this country, the wedge/culture issues aren't going to kill our chances with these groups.

You're right -up to a point.  Republicans, for instance, were able to wing it for thirty years with a platform centered on social traditionalism, fiscal conservatism, and an interventionist foreign policy until recently.  Now that they have become a largely white, working class party (and less country club-oriented), they might have to follow Donald Trump's lead and change more than just their platform (which nobody reads anyway) to reflect that change as they better reflect their constituents' changing desires.

I suppose we could wing it as well, for a time.  
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2016, 06:47:52 PM »

Primarily class-based as long as we can keep our current platform.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2016, 07:34:13 PM »

That sounds great

More importantly, are you aware that more socon = opposition to gay marriage, opposition to letting trans people even exist, etc.?

No, I am completely unaware of that falsehood. Being socially conservative doesn't mean being part of the bigoted right of Ted Cruz. It means feeling a certain way generally with regard to maintaining order.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2016, 07:44:53 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2016, 08:31:35 AM by White Trash »

That sounds great

I'm entirely messing with ya on the eugenics thing, your position on it isn't that bad. Also, the Democratic Party doesn't necessarily need to be firmly SoCon, it just needs to stop shutting these folks out entirely. There out to be at least a socially moderate element within the Democrat party. One thing that ought to happen is the defederalization of abortion as an issue, consider it is such a hot button issue. There are plenty of folks in Alabama, Louisiana, and the rest of the South that wouldn't be opposed to voting for Democratic candidates if abortion wasn't such a divisive issue.

And as far as I know, SoCon doesn't exclusively mean opposition to gay marriage and being transphobic. I'm a decently Socially Conservative person and support gay marriage and the rights of transsexual Americans. There are such things as nuanced Social Conservatives.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2016, 09:35:17 PM »

That sounds great

I'm entirely messing with ya on the eugenics thing, your position on it isn't that bad. Also, the Democratic Party doesn't necessarily need to be firmly SoCon, it just needs to stop shutting these folks out entirely. There out to be at least a socially moderate element within the Democrat party. One thing that ought to happen is the defederalization of abortion as an issue, consider it is such a hot button issue. There are plenty of folks in Alabama, Louisiana, and the rest of the South that wouldn't be opposed to voting for Democratic candidates if abortion wasn't such a divisive issue.

And as far as I know, SoCon doesn't exclusively mean opposition to gay marriage and being transphobic. I'm a decently Socially Conservative person and support gay marriage and the rights of transsexual Americans. There are such things as nuanced Social Conservatives.

There were a string of conservative essays in the mid 2000's suggesting that the GOP focus on the black vote. The argument went "The Democrats are totally dependent on blacks voting 90%+ for them. If we can get them to vote 80-20 Dem, the Democrats will never win ever"

Given that White Evangelicals are voting GOP in similar margins, I wonder if they ought to give this line of reasoning a try.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies