2004: Ready for Change, Ready for Hillary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:29:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2004: Ready for Change, Ready for Hillary
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: 2004: Ready for Change, Ready for Hillary  (Read 8681 times)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 10, 2016, 09:39:19 PM »
« edited: September 17, 2017, 10:38:01 PM by Al Franken 2020 »

March 13, 2003

“I believe in an America where we look forward, not backward. I believe in an America where we take care of the poor, not cut the taxes of the rich. I believe in an America where soldiers’ lives are valued and their sacrifices honored, not used as pawns for some global proxy-war. I believe that America’s best days are still in front of us. And that’s why I'm running for President of the United States!”

"America is Ready for Change, and this movement will be that change! Thank you and God Bless America!"

“With Senator Hillary Clinton’s announcement today, she immediately becomes the Democrats’ frontrunner for 2004. She’s probably pushed John Kerry out of the race, as everyone knows he has an exploratory committee but why would he run against the extremely popular Senator Clinton? That leaves only the small-time candidates, Dennis Kucinich, Howard Dean. John Edwards might give her problems, but the rest of the Democratic field lacks name recognition, experience and popularity that Hillary has. Joe Lieberman has always been the black sheep of the Democratic family. And there's basically nobody else.”

“I mean, does anyone think Dick Gephardt, Carol Moseley Braun and Al Sharpton are keeping Hillary up at night? She has some curveballs in there with Dean and his popularity among the activist wing, and Bob Graham and John Edwards’s southern appeal, but might Hillary have appeal in the south too? Remember who her husband is.”
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 09:10:36 AM »

Looks good!
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 12:08:35 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2017, 10:21:56 PM by MAINEiac4434 »

Thanks!

-----------

March 14, 2003

"A senior aide for Senator John Kerry tells us bluntly 'It's over.' With Hillary Clinton's entry into the Democratic race, John Kerry is expected to announce that he will not pursue a bid for the White House, leaving the New York senator the firm favorite for the Democratic nomination. The other candidates released statements welcoming Clinton to the race."

March 16, 2003

"After discussions with my family, constituents, and friends, I have decided not to pursue a bid for the presidency at this time....I, like every other Democrat, will look forward to watching the primary campaign unfold and seeing who our party thinks is the best person to take on President Bush and his disastrous policies."

March 18, 2003

"As worldwide protests continue against the impending invasion of Iraq, Democratic candidates Dennis Kucinich and Howard Dean have both released statements challenging the notion that anyone who 'supports the military actions against Iraq' was capable of being the party's nominee. While not referencing her directly, the statements were clearly shots across the bow of Democratic front runner Hillary Rodham Clinton, who voted to authorize American military action in Iraq."

March 20, 2003

"The bomb raids have started over Baghdad..."
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 01:50:15 PM »

Very interesting. Following.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 12:40:42 AM »
« Edited: March 20, 2017, 11:24:10 AM by MAINEiac4434 »

March 21, 2003. New York City. 11am
Staffers ran about the campaign headquarters of Hillary Rodham Clinton in Midtown Manhattan. Someone at CNN had leaked their newest poll several hours before it was set to be released. Clearly, the Senator had friends in the media.

With the senate in session, Clinton was in Washington. But her husband was in the "war room," chatting up the volunteers and staffers. Campaign chair Donna Brazile pulled him aside.

"Mr. President, we have CNN's numbers."

"Are they good?"

"Very good. Even better than the first round of internals."

Democratic primary voter preference:

Hillary Rodham Clinton: 49%
Howard Dean: 16%
Joe Lieberman: 13%
John Edwards: 10%
Dennis Kucinich: 3%
Dick Gephardt: 2%
Wes Clark: 2%
Bob Graham: 1%
Al Sharpton: 0%
Undecided: 2%

"Damn, Donna. Poor Bob Graham's not looking so hot. And Clark's running for president?"

"Exploratory committee. And you should seen the head-to-heads with W too."

George W. Bush 47
Hillary Rodham Clinton 46
Undecided 7

"Holy hell. Bush should be riding high with the new war thing going on."

"Maybe Iraq is the Bush family's personal Bermuda Triangle."

"Maybe we Clintons are just the Peacocks to their Lee."

March 21, 2003: 8pm

"Turning away from Iraq and back to politics, CNN has new numbers for the race for the Democratic nomination for president. Hillary Clinton's announcement this week has surged her to an early but large lead among likely Democratic voters, knocking the once-favorite Vermont governor Howard Dean down by several dozen points.

In a hypothetical matchup against President Bush, Senator Clinton receives 46% of the vote while President Bush receives 47 with 7% undecided or supporting other candidates."

March 21, 2003. 8:07pm. Burlington, Vermont.

"I dropped 20 points in a week?" Governor Howard Dean looked at the TV in disbelief, surrounded by his closest aides in a stunned headquarters.

"Yeah. Why do you think Kerry got out so quick? Hillary is that popular." One aide piped up.

"We still have the debates." Another said. "We can kick her ass on universal healthcare and Iraq—"

"Are you kidding?" Dean snapped. "Hillary made universal healthcare advocacy in this country. She has the scars to prove it. And if I hit her on Iraq it'll look like I'm pandering to my base." Dean sighed and sat back. A third aide looked at him, jaw dropped.

"Oh my god. Iowa's a year away and you're already thinking about being her VP."

Dean looked away, and said nothing.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 06:27:04 PM »

Looks awesome. Keep it going
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 10:47:24 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2016, 10:54:59 PM by MAINEiac4434 »

Thanks everybody!

--------------------------

March 30, 2003, Des Moines, Iowa, 11 AM

"We need a president who is committed to building the bipartisan bridges in Washington. Senator Clinton, Governor Dean, they want to throw the baby out with the bathwater! President Bush has done some good things. No Child Left Behind is a progressive piece of legislation, and Hillary Clinton wants to tear it up! Hillary Clinton doesn't want school vouchers, she wants to dictate where kids go to school!"

March 30, New York City, 11:19 AM

John Podesta had just finished nuking the remains of a risotto and settling down for an early lunch in Hillary Clinton's midtown HQ when a harried young volunteer ran into his office.

"Mister...Podesta..." she panted, "turn...on...TV..." Podesta grabbed his remote and began pouring the youngster a glass of water.

"...'she wants to dictate where kids go to school!'"

"Oh my god," Podesta whispered. His phone rang. It was his other phone. Only five people had the number to that phone.

"John," a voice said.

"Senator Clinton," he replied.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 11:46:10 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2016, 01:16:27 AM by MAINEiac4434 »

March 30, 2003. Chappaqua, New York. 2:04 PM

Bill Clinton is sitting in his study, reading a thumbed over copy of the Biography of Winston Churchill. It was maybe the dozenth time he'd read it. A knock came at the door.

"Mr. President, Senator Lieberman is on line 1."

"Tell him I'm busy."

"It's the fourth time he's called, sir."

"Tell him I'm busy."

March 30, 2003. Burlington, Vermont. 3:07 PM

Howard Dean is sitting at his laptop, watching the responses to Joe Lieberman's speech roll out in real time. Lieberman was being eviscerated. Dean stood up.

"This is why we don't attack other Democrats. It reflects poorly on our campaign. If anyone ever proposes to do anything like what Lieberman just did, you will be fired."

March 30, 2003. Somewhere over Ohio. 6:34 PM

Hillary Clinton is sitting on a private jet, with only her top aide Huma Abedin for company. Huma is not providing much company. Hillary is finishing up her remarks to be delivered in Des Moines tomorrow.

It wasn't easy, chartering a plane from Washington, finding a venue, finding supporters to fill that venue ("Use every email list and phone list from Missouri, Illinois, Minnesota and South f#cking Dakota if you have to" she had told John Podesta), chartering another plane from New York carrying Bill, Chelsea, Donna, John and other top campaign folks, as well as over 20,000 "Hillary" and "Ready for Change" signs. Just twenty minutes after she had announced an event in Des Moines, flights from New York to Des Moines were booked solid with reporters looking to cover the event. Some reporters were even flying into Chicago and Minneapolis and driving to Des Moines overnight.

Abedin glanced at her phone.

"Hill,"

"Yes, Huma?"

"We've had over 13,000 RSVPs for the event."

It was technically their first campaign event. She had announced at the Javits Center, and then she had immediately returned to Washington due to the impending invasion of Iraq. Hillary hadn't been to Iowa since 1996. And 13,000 RSVPs, in just two hours. She allowed herself to smile.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 12:53:21 AM »

April 1, Des Moines, Iowa, 7:00PM

"Senator Hillary Clinton is about to make a speech live from the Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Des Moines, Iowa. As Chelsea introduces her mother, let's remember that this is Senator Clinton's first real campaign event, and it comes on the heels of Senator Joe Lieberman's scathing rebuke of 'the left,' of which he made Hillary Clinton the standard bearer. Clinton staffers are tight-lipped on whether the speech will reference Lieberman directly, but they said that Clinton did not have her speechwriters write this speech, she wrote it on the flight from Washington to Des Moines..."

"And now I would love if you gave a warm welcome to my mom, the next President of the United States, Hillary Rodham Clinton!"

Hillary steps out from behind the curtain, Bill in tow, as the crowd roars. Sam Cooke's 'A Change is Gonna Come' is drowned out by the noise. Hillary embraces Chelsea, and soaks in the crowd.

22,000 RSVPs, but the fire marshal let in only 15,000.

The speech started off simply enough, praising the military while bringing up the importance of getting the troops out of Iraq as simply as possible, moved on to jobs and infrastructure.

"Many of you heard my good friend Senator Lieberman talk about my education proposals yesterday," Clinton said, as boos echoed. "No no, no no. Don't boo Joe Lieberman. Joe's a good friend of mine, he was our party's nominee for Vice President just three years ago. He's a good man. He's just wrong." The crowd roars.

"Yes, Senator Lieberman, I oppose school vouchers. School vouchers which take public money and shuffles it to private institutions which have little or no government oversight. That's right, the vouchers take taxpayer money and give it to schools that are not overseen by the taxpayers. And I can understand where he's coming from; he wants to give great educational opportunities to children who would otherwise not receive it, because they can't afford a private institution or the public schools are poor. But Joe's solution is the wrong solution. What we need to do is increase funding for public schools, so that we have the very best public schools in the entire world! So that those educational opportunities are available to every kid, to every family, no matter their financial situation!"

"But my friends, we can't stop there! No, I want to make higher education as low-cost as possible! Parents shouldn't have to get a second mortgage on their homes just to send their kids to a public college! We need to make community colleges free, so that those who need a degree to enter the workforce but don't want a liberal arts degree or a science degree can enter the workforce and enter a good job that make a good living."

"We will repeal the No Child Left Behind Act, and its disastrous protocols which limit what kids who may not test well can achieve. We gave it a shot for two years. I was open for that, that's why I voted for it. But it failed. And, Senator Lieberman, it was never a progressive piece of legislation. Any piece of legislation that limits what our children can achieve can never, ever be progressive."

"I can hear the critics now. 'Oh, she's pandering to the left.' 'Oh, she's focusing on family issues instead of the economy.' Well, having a good economy means nothing if our next generation is ill-equipped to make it even better. That's why education is a central tenet of my campaign. I will be the education candidate, I will be the education president! Thank you, Des Moines!"

April 1, 2003. Hartford, Connecticut. 8:34 PM

Joe Lieberman sighs. Well, that couldn't have gone worse he thinks. He had made little headway in his campaign. Now, he was pretty much just named Public Enemy Number One by the favorite. His wife, Hadassah, walked in.

"What's wrong, honey."

"I'm pretty sure I just ended my political career."

April 1, 2003. Burlington, Vermont. 8:37 PM

Howard Dean sat alone in his office, watching the pundits debate the merits of Hillary's speech. It was very well received. Who the hell wouldn't want to run with her? He wondered.

April 6, 2003. New York City. 2:45 PM

"The Joe Lieberman campaign announced today that Lieberman's longtime aide and campaign manager, Craig T. Smith, had been 'promoted' to senatorial Chief of Staff. This decision removes Smith from the day-to-day running of the campaign."
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 08:59:21 PM »

April 13, 2003. 1:37 PM.

"Today marks the fourth day of widespread rioting and looting in recently liberated Baghdad. US military forces are under orders not to defend the cities cultural and religious landmarks, with Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld has stated the the American military 'is not a police force'. However, the interim US government of Iraq is planning on disbanding the Iraqi military and police. It remains to be seen who will provide law and order in Iraq if the coalition forces do not. Some experts say this could create a vacuum that could be filled by Islamic radicals or Hussein loyalists. Democratic presidential frontrunner Senator Hillary Clinton is delivering a speech on this issue right now, let's go to Nashua, New Hampshire live.'

"Good afternoon. Less than 96 hours after US and allied forces ran Saddam Hussein out of Baghdad, the city has fallen into chaos with rioting and looting. And today we hear that US leadership will not allow American soldiers to defend cultural landmarks and the people of the city, and at the same time, plan to completely dissolve the remnants of the Iraqi military and police force. This will put tens of thousands of military-age Iraqi men will be out of jobs and unable to provide for their families, at the same time left unprotected by their liberators. These men could become desperate, and could join our enemies.

"Iraq is at a crossroads. America can either be the force that stabilizes, democratizes and liberalizes a country that was once an autocratic dictatorship, or be the force that destabilizes a country and allowed it to fall to fundamentalist radicals. President Bush and Secretary Rumsfeld have a choice here. They have a chance. They're in Iraq now. Too much blood has been spilled for Washington to mismanage this. The stakes are too high for Iraq, the region and, indeed, the world."

General election polling:
Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton (D): 48%
President George W. Bush (R): 44%

Governor Howard Dean (D): 51%
President George W. Bush: 42%

Democratic primary polling:
Hillary Rodham Clinton: 55%
Howard Dean: 14%
John Edwards: 10%
Dennis Kucinich: 7%
Wesley Clark (has not declared candidacy): 4%
Carol Moseley Braun: 2%
Dick Gephardt: 1%
Joe Lieberman: 1%
Bob Graham: 1%
Al Sharpton: 0%

May 1, 2003. 1:00 PM

"Major combat operations have ended in Iraq. The mission is accomplished."

Opinion polling:
President George W. Bush: 51%
Hillary Rodham Clinton: 45%

June 10, 2003. Des Moines, Iowa. 7:37PM

Howard Dean sipped water in his dressing room, going over his notes. He paced the floor, back and forth. "Go and stretch your legs, honey," His wife told him. He nodded and left the room. The backstage was dark, and he wandered aimlessly to tire his restless legs.

"Governor Dean, how are you?" Howard Dean was surprised by the voice behind him. He turned and saw Hillary Clinton.

"Senator Clinton. Wonderful to see you," He said, and extended his hand.

"You're running a very impressive campaign, Howard. You're very popular with the activist wing. They seem to believe you on this whole Iraq bullsh!t." Hillary accepted his hand.

"Yeah. Voting for the AUMF wasn't exactly the best thing to do." Dean said as gently as possible.

"Tell me about it. But, Howard, if you saw the intel the President was getting - and I saw it - you'd have voted yes, too. You don't often think the executive branch is actively lying. Fortunately, the President is being proved wrong."

"If the Mission is Accomplished, why are we still there?"

"Oh, that's a good line. Use it, or else I will." Clinton smiled. "Howard, your future is bright in this party. While this may not be your year, Howard," she began walking away, "The incumbent Vice President would be very hard to beat in 2012."

---

Good evening and welcome to the Democratic Presidential Debate. The candidates: the Senator from Connecticut, Joe Lieberman. Former Ambassador and Former Senator from Illinois, Carol Moseley Braun. Representative from Missouri Dick Gephardt. Representative from Ohio, Dennis Kucinich. Senator from North Carolina, John Edwards. Former Governor of Vermont, Howard Dean. And Senator from New York Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Kucinich: “Senator, with all due respect, you supported Bush’s invasion of Iraq. How can you stand up here and claim to be the one candidate who can fix it?”

Clinton: “Congressman, I understand where you're coming from. Really, I do. I chose to trust the President. I did not expect him to betray that trust. Perhaps I should've known better, but my husband sat at that desk, too. I know the immense pressure that a president deals with. I didn't think the president would lie about something so big. I had hoped that the President would've used the AUMF to force the Iraqis to the negotiating table, to force them to admit more weapons inspectors. I said that's what I said on the Senate floor. But the President betrayed my trust and the trust of the American people and now too many people are dying.”

Dean: "You know, Congressman Kucinich, the President lied to congress. I don't think you can blame Senator Clinton for trusting the President. But we cannot cut down other Democrats, we need to focus on the common enemy. President Bush has declared the mission accomplished. If the mission is accomplished, why are we still there?"

Lieberman: “The voucher programs work, kids are going to great schools they otherwise wouldn't be.”

Clinton: “The voucher programs most certainly do not work, they give public money to private institutions, and then the public has no say in what's going on. That is totally backwards, Senator. We need to work on improving public schools, not making life easier for private schools at the expense of public schools.”
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 10:36:19 PM »

Love this. And I, too, am #StillWithHer
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 07:58:29 PM »

Thanks! Good to know someone's reading.

-------

Who Won the First Democratic Debate
By Online Journalist, June 11, 2003

WINNERS

Winner: Hillary Clinton

Clinton was able to deftly deflect attacks from the likes of Dennis Kucinich on her vote in favor of the AUMF for Iraq. She was also able to get in a few attacks of her own, specifically on the education issue. She sounded genuine on the Iraq issue and made no errors in facts or presentation. A top-notch debate for the front runner.

Winner: Howard Dean

Dean was able to get his own attacks in on Iraq, particularly at another vehemently anti war candidate, Dennis Kucinich. He had a zinger of a line ("If the Mission is Accomplished, why are we still there?") but shied away from attacking Clinton. Perhaps the rumors that he's already vying for a spot as her VP are true?

LOSERS

Loser: Joe Lieberman

Joe Lieberman somehow dug the hole deeper, doubling down on school vouchers and drawing the ire of Clinton (and the audience, which audibly gasped when he made the defense again). Lieberman's poll numbers have plummeted since his ill-advised speech in Des Moines attacking Clinton on education issues.

----

June 13, 2003. New York City. 8PM.

"Come on guys. It's an internet poll from some lefty blog. I'm not worried. Trust me, we have Joementum!"
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 03:33:57 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2017, 06:21:26 PM by MAINEiac4434 »

August 27, 2003. Boston, Massachusetts. 11:45 AM

"We go live to Boston where a jam-packed House of Blues hosts Democratic Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and Massachusetts Senators John Kerry and Ted Kennedy. The two Massachusetts Democrats are endorsing their New York counterpart, who holds a commanding polling lead over her nearest rival. Let's listen in:"

Kerry: "I'm sure you saw the news last week. A truck bomb killed the UN Envoy to Iraq. And the question is, why weren't our troops protecting him? That is what the Bush Administration promised! But we all know we can't trust what the Bush Administration says. Mr. President, you may have gotten us into this war but I don't think you have a clue on how to get us out!" The crowd roars. "We need a leader who's tough but fair, strong but compassionate, clear-eyed and progressive. Those qualities are exemplified in my friend and my candidate for President of the United States, Hillary Rodham Clinton!"

Kennedy: "We all know the fight for universal healthcare is a tough one. But no one has done more in that righteous fight than Hillary. She has the scars to prove it. She gets no thanks for her activism, especially not from the right. But you know what? She never, ever gives up. And that's who we need in the White House!"

----

"She got both of them?" Joe Lieberman stared at CNN in disbelief.

"Yeah. And I have worse news," an aide told him.

"Oh god. What?"

"Dodd's avoding us." The other Connecticut Senator, Chris Dodd, had promised an endorsement for his fellow Nutmegger. But that was weeks ago and Lieberman's team had been unable to connect since.

"Ted told me he was staying out of the primary," Lieberman muttered.

"You can't trust the Kennedys as far as you can throw them."

----
August 28, 2003. Kingston, Rhode Island. 7:28 PM.

"Well, I was the only Republican to oppose the war. We all knows this is President Bush's war. Clearly, he cannot continue as President of the United States. But the Democratic front runner, Mrs. Clinton, she also voted for the war. I'll be honest, I am considering challenging the President for the Republican nomination. Someone must stand against this cowardly war."

--Senator Lincoln Chafee, answering the question "As a vocal opponent of the War in Iraq, who are you supporting for President?" during a Q&A event at the University of Rhode Island.

---

FOR RELEASE ON September 4, 2003.

If the race for President was between the Democrat Senator Hillary Clinton and the Republican President George Bush, who would you support?

Hillary Clinton (D): 48%
George Bush (R): 44%
Undecided/Other: 8%

If the race for President was between the Democrat Hillary Clinton and the Republican Senator Lincoln Chafee, who would you support?

Hillary Clinton (D): 51%
Lincoln Chafee (R): 26%
Undecided/Other: 23%

(Republicans only) Who would you support in the Republican Party Presidential primaries?

President George W. Bush: 91%
Senator Lincoln Chafee: 4%
Undecided/Other: 5%

(Democrats only) Who would you support in the Democratic Party Presidential Primaries?

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton: 55%
Governor Howard Dean: 23%
Senator John Edwards: 11%
Representative Dennis Kucinich: 3%
Representative Dick Gephardt: 2%
General Wesley Clark: 2%
Senator Joe Lieberman: 2%
Senator Carol Moseley Braun: 1%
Reverend Al Sharpton: 0%
Undecided: 1%
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 09:21:40 PM »

September 23, 2003. Columbus, Ohio. 7:45 PM.

"President Bush is launching his campaign for reelection in Columbus tonight, a little over 13 months before election night 2004. Let's listen to his speech:"

"Let me let you in on a little secret: the war is working! Gallup released a poll today, a majority of Iraqis think their lives will be better in less than five years. Two-thirds say the struggles are worth getting rid of Saddam! So when liberals like Hillary Clinton say this is 'Bush's war,' you're damn right it is!"

If the Presidential election was between Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton and Republivan George W. Bush, who would support?

George W. Bush: 50%
Hillary Rodham Clinton: 44%

October 12, 2003. Nashua, New Hampshire. 8:00 PM.

"Good evening and welcome to the second Democratic Presidential debate..."

Clinton: "My Administration will repeal the Hyde Amendment, we will accomplish universal pre-k and childcare and comprehensive immigration reform favoring children and families. Those are promises, and I'll achieve them in my first 100 days."

Lieberman: "There you go again. Senator Clinton, you can't keep playing the woman card!" (crowd gasps audibly)

Clinton: "Senator Lieberman, if standing up for women and families is playing the woman card, then deal me in!" (Crowd cheers loudly)

Who won the second Democratic debate?
Hillary Rodham Clinton: 67%
John Edwards: 8%
Howard Dean: 7%
Dennis Kucinich: 5%
Carol Moseley Braun: 3%
Dick Gephardt: 2%
Joe Lieberman: 0%
Unsure: 8%

November 2, 2003. Washington, DC. 2:34 PM.

President Bush sits in the Oval Office, enjoying a chicken salad sandwich and alternating between SportsCenter and his afternoon intelligence briefing. His phone buzzes.

"Mr. President, General Meyers is on line 1." His secretary said.

"Is it urgent?"

"It's very urgent, sir." His secretary replied. Bush sighed. He'd been riding high for a little while Over Hillary. But bad news in Iraq would quickly diminish that.

"This is the President."

"Mr. President," General Meyers began, "I wanted you to be the first to know..."

The President had a feeling of dread crawl up his spine.

"Is this worse than the bombings in Baghdad last week?"

"Much worse."
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 12:37:38 AM »

November 3, 2003. Waukee, Iowa. 11:45 AM

"I'm sure you heard the news yesterday. Two Chinook helicopters were fired upon by surface-to-air missiles. One went down. 20 young men died. Now, correct me if I'm wrong...but didn't the president say the mission was accomplished?" (crowd jeers) "Right? Didn't he make a big speech to that effect? On a big ship with a great big banner? So if the mission is accomplished, why are we still there!?" (crowd cheers)

November 3, 2003. Charleston, South Carolina. 1:23 PM

"I am so sick and tired of the President's arrogance. He goes and declares the mission accomplished, what, six months ago? And every day since Americans are dying and Iraqis are dying. Yesterday, 20 Americans died, which is the largest loss of coalition forces in the eight months since the war started. And this six months after the Commander in Chief declared the mission accomplished! Now, it'd be one thing if we were still in this war without the President declaring the 'mission accomplished.' But can we just get some honesty here from the Republicans? I'm tired of being lied to! And I bet you are too! Don't you think it's time for some honesty to return to Washington? I do!"

November 3, 2003. Warwick, Rhode Island. 6:30 PM.

"I'm here, with some of my most faithful supporters, in front of my adoring family, in my hometown, to embark on a journey that eight months ago I never foresaw.

"I'm back home in Warwick to officially announce my candidacy for the Republican Party's nomination for President of the United States. (crowd cheers)

"Thank you, thank you. For the past eight months we've seen baffling and occasionally illegal decisions come from the party of Lincoln, the party of Teddy Roosevelt, the party of Nelson Rockefeller, and the party of my late father John Chafee. The war in Iraq is not only immoral, it is illegal and it must be brought to an immediate end. (cheering)

"President Bush has proven himself incapable and unfit to lead the country, and his cabinet of cronies are obsessed with greed and and power. They pit Democrat, Republican and Independent against one another. My fellow Americans, I will unite Democrats, Republicans and Independents. We will fight for American values at home and abroad, but we will never, ever enter an illegal war through lies and deception.

"We will take the party back from the disastrous Bush Administration. (cheering)

"We will take America back to where it's always destined to be: the political center.

"We will become America's party again. Thank you very much and God bless America! (cheering)

November 3, 2003. Washington, DC. 8:45 PM.

President Bush paced the halls of the residence. His closest advisor, Vice President Dick Cheney, was there trying to calm him down.

"Mr. President, you don't have anything to fear about that Rhode Island RINO."

"I'm afraid for next year, Dick. Hillary could use that speech in ads. Talking about 'Republican disunity' and stuff."

"Don't worry. We'll destroy him and everyone will have forgotten about him by the time November rolls around. And he'll fall in line. Chafee's a sycophant. We can promise him Defense Secretary but give him no real power, move Rumsfeld to Senior Advisor, and it'll all be square."

The President couldn't help but think back to how his father felt when he learned Texas billionaire Ross Perot was considering entering the 1992 race as an independent. It proved his father's political death knell. The younger Bush couldn't help but thinking this was all feeling very familiar. A Bush running for reelection against a Clinton. A primary challenge. And, if Chafee was really arrogant, a third party challenge. The older Bush always told the younger that history had a way of repeating itself...
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 06:42:57 PM »

November 27, 2003. Baghdad, Iraq. 4:00 PM

Ostensibly, President Bush was in Iraq on thanksgiving to "raise the troops' morale." In actuality, he brought along his senior national security team for a top-secret meeting with army leaders.

Bush was irate when he sat down for his meeting.

"Have you seen this sh!t going on back home? I have a f#cking primary challenger now! Hillary is kicking my ass in polls. I need a win, and fast. I want Saddam's head on my desk by Christmas."

Major General David Petraeus cleared his throat to speak. He want the most senior officer in the room, so the task fell to him to break the bad news to the Commander in Chief.

"Mr. President," Petraeus began, "We don't know where Saddam is. We have some hunches—"

"I don't want no goddamn hunches! Do you want that Peacenik Dean bossing you around, huh? What about that spineless sycophant Chafee? Or that God-forsaken witch Hillary? You will get me Saddam before Christmas or you will die trying!" Bush slammed his fist down, rattling the table, then stood up. "There's a lot riding on this, boys. Get it done."

Petraeus enlisted his friend, Major General Ray Odierno, to lead his plan.

December 13, 2003. Washington, D.C. 9:30 PM

"Good evening. Approximately 13 hours ago, I gave the order to initiate Operation Red Dawn, a mission designed to capture Saddam Hussein. Over 600 American forces were involved in the mission. American forces entered the village of Ad-Dawr, where they met heavy rain resistance from Hussein's most loyal supporters. After four hours of bloody, brutal fighting, we had lost 259 men and women. Major General Raymond Odierno ordered a full retreat, after being pinned down for some time. The mission was a total failure. We do not know where Hussein is now or if he was in Ad-Dawr in the first place. I've accepted the resignations of a handful of members of my military intelligence team, but as the Commander-in-Chief the bulk of the responsibility falls on me and me alone."

FOR RELEASE ON December 21st, 2003

If the Presidential election was between Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton and Republican George W. Bush, who would you vote for?"
Hillary Rodham Clinton (D): 53%
George W. Bush (R): 42%
Undecided/Other: 5%

(Republicans only): If your state's primary or caucus was held today, who would you vote for?
George W. Bush: 74%
Lincoln Chafee: 17%
Undecided/Other: 9%
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 12:34:24 AM »

Independence, Iowa. December 21, 2003. 9:47 AM

"You know, I just think it's a shame that all those young people had to die. Clearly the intelligence was wrong. But the President made the call, he took responsibility. But we have to question why they weren't given correct information in the first place, why there wasn't fact checking and observation to confirm if Hussein was there and what kind of protection he had. I think it's just so sad. That's all I'm going to say on Operation Red Dawn, thank you."

-Hillary Clinton, speaking outside an event in response to the question "What is your reaction to Operation Red Dawn?" She had taken the previous week off from campaigning as a sign of respect for the fallen soldiers.

---

Des Moines, Iowa. January 12, 2004

The President suddenly had to shore up support among the Republican Party. After the failure of Operation Red Dawn, Chafee was breaching 20% in some polling. He was gladhanding around Des Moines, doing old-fashioned politician things. Kissing hands, shaking babies. He noticed a couple of kids following him around with DEAN 2004 signs. He smiled and laughed. He talked baseball with a couple of guys at the bar. They shook his hand, and then all three of them said they were Democrats caucusing for Hillary. Worse still, they had bucked party lines and the union to vote for him in 2000. No one was really angry, though a handful of people brought up Red Dawn (mostly followed by "you should be ashamed of yourself.")

There were bright sports, though. In one town he was greeted with a huge banner that said IOWA IS BUSH COUNTRY. No one ever seemed to bring up Chafee, who was drawing crowds but not large ones. He was reminded of what he loved about politics the most: the people.

--
Atlantic, Iowa. January 12, 2004. 9:30 PM

"...thank you all, and god bless America!"

Lincoln Chafee finished up his fifth speech in his third county, grinning. Apparently he had scared Bush so much he made a personal appearance in Iowa. And Chafee wasn't even running to win! He was jus running on an anti-war platform and common-sense centrism. His crowds were growing. A whisper of a dream formed in the back of his head; maybe he could actually do it?

He shook it away. There was a week to go before the Iowa caucuses. He was 50 points behind. Him winning was slightly more likely than Iowa Democrats picking Carol Moseley Braun (whom he ran into in Council Bluffs that afternoon). Still, he allows himself one measure of hope. Maybe the administration would actually change its foreign policy after the election. If Bush held on against the Democrats, that is.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 09:51:36 PM »

Chafee 2016 2004
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 12:02:23 AM »

Don't worry. Link plays a big role...
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 05:47:35 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2017, 07:00:02 PM by MAINEiac4434 »

January 18, 2004. Waterloo, Iowa.

"We will achieve comprehensive immigration reform, universal pre-K and universal healthcare! And we will end the war in Iraq! This is a time for leaders. This is a time for change. And America is Ready for Change! Iowa, if you give me the opportunity to lead tomorrow, I will be eternally grateful and I promise I will work as hard as possible every day to make the change we believe in!"

January 18, 2004. Des Moines, Iowa.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the center. Will. Hold! We will defeat the radicals on the left and the right, we will build the America we all deserve, and we will take Joementum from Iowa all the way to the White House!"

January 18, 2004. Iowa City, Iowa.

"I can't wait for tomorrow! We will win up and down this great state - and this great country! As President, you know what I'll do. I'll cut taxes on the working and middle classes and raise them on the wealthy. I'll cut defense spending. And I am the ONLY candidate in the race who has opposed the war in Iraq from day one! But I need you, my friends, to get out and caucus tomorrow!"

January 18, 2004. Mason City, Iowa.

"You guys know I've poured everything I have into this state. And it's because I'm optimistic and confident in this state. I know where the polls have us. And I know that when the people in this room get out to caucus, nothing is impossible!"

January 18, 2004. Davenport, Iowa.

"You need a guy you trust, a guy you know in the White House to finish the job. And believe you me, I will finish the job! If we stay the course, we will catch Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden and bring them to justice. I am the only conservative choice for President, and tomorrow, I need conservatives all over the state of Iowa to come out and caucus for the guy who will Finish the Job!"

January 18, 2004. Dubuque, Iowa.

"This adminstration has failed the Republican Party with its deception and dishonesty and greed, but more importantly it's failed America with its deception and dishonesty and greed. My friends, another choice is possible in this race. I have spent my life building bridges. I will be a Republican nominee you can be proud of, and I will be a president you can trust!"
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 05:56:06 PM »

This is great
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 08:54:07 PM »

January 19, 2004. Des Moines, Iowa. 11:36 PM.

Iowa Democratic Caucus Results 99% Reporting
New York Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton: 52.5%, 28 Pledged Delegates
Missouri Congressman and House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt: 14.0%, 6 Pledged Delegates
Former Vermont Governor Howard Dean: 13.9%, 5 Pledged Delegates
North Carolina Senator John Edwards: 7.1% 3 Pledged Delegates
Connecticut Senator Joe Lieberman: 6.1% 2 Pledged Delegates
Ohio Congressman Dennis Kucinich: 1 Pledged Delegate
Former Illinois Senator and Former Ambassador to New Zealand Carol Moseley Braun: 0.9% 0 Pledged delegate
The Reverend Al Sharpton: 0.3% 0 Delegates

It wasn't the huge win some expected, but with Gephardt surprisingly coming in second and Edwards not making as much headway as predicted, it was still worthy of celebration. Hillary and Bill had a glass of champagne at the Des Moines headquarters, and posed for pictures with the young campaign staff. Now she was on her way back to Veterans Memorial Coliseum, in many ways where it all began, for the victory rally. Bill took her hand.

"Pretty good win, eh, Hill?"

She smiled. "Pretty good."

January 19, 2004. Waukee, Iowa. 11:38

"No one gave us a shot! But we are the runners up! With this momentum, nothing is impossible! Thank you, Iowa!"

"Was that speech too much?" Howard Dean asked his campaign staff. Their noncommittal answers was the only confirmation he needed.

"I mean, you came in third. That, Governor, is not good. I understand the desire to rally the troops but..."

The Governor nodded. He would continue, but he knew now more than ever that the Democratic nominee would be Hillary Clinton.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 10:47:33 PM »

Des Moines, Iowa. January 19, 2004. 8:45 PM

72%.

That's it.

For sure, a solid win that saw him take every single delegate available. But Chafee got 28%. A liberal. In a Republican primary. Against an incumbent President. It was a complete, unmitigated disaster. He had surrogates attempting to spin away on CNN, MSNBC and, most importantly, Fox News. But the pundits were loving it. Shots of Hillary and Chafee grinning broadly. Repeatedly calling it a "moral victory for the Chafee campaign" and how it was "only 72% for the President" and "Shades of Pat Buchanan."

"Can you believe this sh!t the media's putting out, Rovey?"

"Yes sir. They've been out to get you for a long time."

"You're damn right they have." The President sighed. New Hampshire would be even tougher.

Iowa Republican Caucus Reaults 99% Reporting

President George W. Bush: 72.1%, 25 Delegates
Rhode Island Senator Lincoln Chafee: 27.6%, 0 Delegates
Uncommitted: 0.3%, 0 Delegates

January 18, 2004. Des Moines, Iowa. 11:56 PM.

"While we may not have won tonight," Lincoln Chafee beamed around a packed auditorium "we have shown that this campaign is formidable and that it is but on something real!" The crowd bursts into applause. Dozens of cameras are pointing at Lincoln Chafee. This is the first time many Americans are being exposed to him and his message. And he's killing it.

"Iowa Republicans sent a huge message to the Washington machine, that just because we're Republicans does not mean we're in favor of this disastrous war!" More applause.

"Because you, the people, voted with confidence and courage today, we have captured the momentum in this race. We have shown America that now, right now, is the time for change in the Republican Party, and in the United States of America!" More cheering.

"Now is the time for leadership in this country. Leadership that looks forward, not backward. Leadership that is prepared to defend our interests, but will not seek to engage in old grudges. Leadership that will put the lives of our servicemen and women first, our economy first, and our children first!" Loudest cheer yet.

"My friends, my dear, dear friends. Tonight is just the beginning. Our road is still long, and it is still uphill. But if you vote with optimism, vote with courage and vote with confidence, we can achieve what the pundits say is impossible. We can bring the Republican Party back to the Party of Abraham Lincoln! We can make America once again the shining city on a hill that the world looks to for guidance and peace! With you, anything is possible! Thank you so much Iowa, thank you!"
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 11:44:11 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2017, 01:05:32 AM by MAINEiac4434 »

January 20, 2004. 8:45 PM.
Clark, Moseley Braun, Sharpton Drop Out
By Online Journalist

Former Illinois Senator and former Ambassador to New Zealand Carol Moseley Braun addresses supporters following the Iowa Caucus

Three lagging Democratic campaigns came to an end in Iowa yesterday.

Former Illinois Senator Carol Moseley Braun, General Wesley Clark and Reverend Al Sharpton all announced they were dropping their bids for the presidency after the three took up the bottom three rungs of the Iowa Democratic caucus ladder.

Moseley Braun and Clark both received 1.1% of the vote, with Sharpton receiving 0.3. Each candidate failed to receive any pledged delegates.

Sharpton’s campaign has alternatively been described as “a joke” and “nonexistent” by political insiders. He rarely broke 1% in polling and, despite pouring millions of dollars of his own money into direct mailings, he had little ground organization and meager fundraising. Clark and Moseley Braun both had committed supporters but little name recognition and lackluster debate performances doomed their candidacies. Moseley Braun was reportedly running out of money as she entered Iowa for the final week of campaigning before the caucus.

Moseley Braun has endorsed Senator Hillary Clinton. Clark and Sharpton are yet to endorse any candidate. The remaining Democratic candidates are Clinton, former Governor Howard Dean of Vermont, Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, Representative Dennis Kucinich of Ohio, Representative Dick Gephardt of Missouri and Senator John Edwards of North Carolina.

January 22, 2004. Concord, New Hampshire. 11:39 AM.

I'm Lincoln Chafee, and I approve this message.

(voicover: Lincoln Chafee) On March 20th, 2003, President Bush ordered the invasion of Iraq. And in the 10 months since then, America's reputation has diminished and hundreds of young men and women are coming home disabled or worse.

America, it's time for a change. During my entire tenure in public service, I've worked across the aisle to get the best for my constituents. And I'll do the same as President of the United States. I'll unite Republicans, Independents and Democrats to get the best for everyone in this country. Join our movement, and make America stronger.

I'm Hillary Clinton and I approve this message.

(voiceover: Morgan Freeman) "Her church taught her to do all the good you can, for all the people you can, for as long as you can. After law school, she could've joined a high-priced law firm. But instead, she worked to reform juvenile justice in South Carolina, exposed racism in Alabama schools, registered Latino voters in Texas and provided legal aid to families in Arkansas.

Her life's work have been about breaking barriers. And so would her presidency. That's why for every American that's not being paid what they're worth, who's held back by a system tilted against them, or demoralized by an unconstitutional war, and there are far too many of you, she understands that this country can't reach its potential unless we all do. Together. A stronger country.

"Hill, are you sure not focusing on the Iraq War is the right strategy?"

"Huma, I voted for the Iraq War. I mentioned it. Any more and it rings hollow."

(Howard Dean, speaking directly to the camera) I'm Howard Dean, and it's time for the truth. Because the truth is George Bush's foreign policy isn't making us safer, his tax cuts are ruining our economy and costing us jobs. And too many Democrats in Washington are afraid to stand up for what we believe in. Well I believe it's time to put our people back to work, and provide health insurance for every American, and time for Democrats to be Democrats again. That's why I'm running for president. That's why I approve this message. I'm Howard Dean. And it's time to take our country back."

"I like it. Tough, but fair. Light critique of your opponents. You're portraying yourself as the fighter. Shall we send it to the local outlets?"

If your state's presidential primary were held today, who would you vote for (NH-D)?
Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton: 57%
Governor Howard Dean: 21%
Congressman Dennis Kucinich: 6%
Senator John Edwards: 5%
Congressman Dick Gephardt 4%
Senator Joe Lieberman: 3%
Undecided: 4%

If your state's presidential primary were held today, who would you vote for (NH-R)?
President George W. Bush: 56%
Senator Lincoln Chafee: 40%
Undecided: 4%

Washington, D.C. January 22, 2004. 11:45PM.

"I'M ONLY UP 16 F#CKING POINTS?!" President Bush roared at his senior campaign team.

"Sir, it's New Hampshire. Chafee's a New Englander, New Englanders really don't like you. They didn't like your dad, either."

"I don't give a f#ck, I'm the goddamn President of the United States running in my party's primary. I shouldn't have anyone with 16 points on me!"
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2017, 12:19:30 AM »

A double upset in New Hampshire, a la 2008, would be amazing!
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies