Austrian Elections & Politics 3.0 - Parliamentary Election: Oct. 15 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:41:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Austrian Elections & Politics 3.0 - Parliamentary Election: Oct. 15 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How would you vote in the Oct. 15 election ?
SPÖ
ÖVP
FPÖ
Greens
NEOS
PILZ
KPÖ+
FLÖ
G!LT
Whites
For a small regional party
I'd vote invalid
I'd stay home
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Austrian Elections & Politics 3.0 - Parliamentary Election: Oct. 15  (Read 193887 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

« on: January 08, 2017, 10:27:41 AM »

Tbf I support Ukraine, but oppose sanctions. The sanctions just hurt ordinary Russians and inflame nationalism even further - like most sanctions for that matter.

The sanctions that really hurt ordinary Russians have been imposed by the government of Russia on its own people "in retaliation": precisely because the Western-imposed sanctions hurt not the ordinary Russians, but those personally guilty for what has happened. The long-running joke among the Russians is that in retaliation for the next round of sanctions Russian government will order carpet bombing of Voronezh.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 10:09:35 PM »

Tbf I support Ukraine, but oppose sanctions. The sanctions just hurt ordinary Russians and inflame nationalism even further - like most sanctions for that matter.

The sanctions against Russia are not really popular among Austrian business leaders and farmers, who export a lot of goods and food to Russia.

And business people and farmers are core constituencies of the ÖVP, so Kurz's move to end the sanctions step-by-step is understandable in the long-term if he really wants to become party leader next year. He needs all the intra-party support he can get.

The sanctions on farmers/business people have been imposed by the Russian government, not by EU.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies