How is Bernie "too old"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:52:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  How is Bernie "too old"?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How is Bernie "too old"?  (Read 3561 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2016, 01:19:12 AM »

As long as he gets checked regularly, he'll be fine.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2016, 08:02:05 AM »

Not a big deal, not fatal, doesn't spread, very common nowadays among older people - It is kinda routine thing. He apparently went back to work & is doing rallies after doing the operation.

Man is a beast for his age. Anyways I think just after Senate election (Dec 18/Jan-Feb 19), people will have to start preparing the ground (as realistically the announcement has to come during March-Arpril 2019 odd).

We are just 2 years away. If he is not fit enough after his "POTENTIAL" 1st term then he will step down in 2024 & allow a primary within Dems.

The focus should be no reforming the DNC, bringing young people & the working class in & winning State, Congress & Senate elections.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2016, 06:09:17 PM »

Age was somewhat of an issue when John McCain ran in 2008 (he was 72 at the time) but it didn't have much of an impact. It was a much bigger issue when Bob Dole ran in 1996, yet Dole is still alive and apparently still doing the bidding of the Taiwan Lobby. McCain is still alive and in good health, as is his Mom at the age of 104!!!

As long as Sanders's health holds up, the fact that Sanders will be 79 on election day 2020 won't be so much of an issue in and of itself as the fact that he'll be 83 in 2024 and 87 at the end of his potential second term in 2028. Now of course Trump is only four years younger than him and in worse health.

This.

Though I don't think he will actually run in 2020. I think he'll give that shot to a younger Democrat.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2016, 06:35:44 PM »

Age was somewhat of an issue when John McCain ran in 2008 (he was 72 at the time) but it didn't have much of an impact. It was a much bigger issue when Bob Dole ran in 1996, yet Dole is still alive and apparently still doing the bidding of the Taiwan Lobby. McCain is still alive and in good health, as is his Mom at the age of 104!!!

As long as Sanders's health holds up, the fact that Sanders will be 79 on election day 2020 won't be so much of an issue in and of itself as the fact that he'll be 83 in 2024 and 87 at the end of his potential second term in 2028. Now of course Trump is only four years younger than him and in worse health.

This.

Though I don't think he will actually run in 2020. I think he'll give that shot to a younger Democrat.

I thin he could give it another crack. If he doesn't people will be lining up around the block for his endorsement.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2016, 06:39:50 PM »

This.

I thin he could give it another crack. If he doesn't people will be lining up around the block for his endorsement.

Yes, Bernie's endorsement will be a big time sought after prize in the primaries, so would Joe Biden's.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2016, 11:57:12 PM »

Hey libertarians, Ron Paul was 77 in 2012...
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2016, 10:12:05 AM »

There's a difference between the acceptable age for one of a hundred members in a legislative body and the acceptable age for a chief executive.

This.

Plus- it speaks awfully about the Democrats if they're nominee is 79, and essentially elected as a policy plank. I know Trump kinda threw out the idea of electing your President based on him being the Commander in Chief but the democrats should pick someone who won't be 83 when his term ends.

I get the love for Bernie; but if he runs in 2020 he has to run with the intention of winning (and I get the impression that people want him to run to prove a point, rather than to win) I loved Ted Kennedy but imagine if he ran in 2008 (when he was actually younger than Sanders)

I'm also convinced of the extremely flaky, and coincidental argument that democrats win when they haven't been in office/public view for a long time (Obama, Clinton, Carter, Kennedy)
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2016, 09:29:07 PM »

The average life expectancy for a male in the US is 79
By that logic, you would expect a majority of 78-year-olds to die soon, which isn't the case. If you reach 79, your life expectancy is higher (8 years I believe)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2016, 08:31:40 AM »

How are we even having this conversation? Obviously an 80-year-old candidate is far too old for the job, Jesus. Reagan was senile by the end of his term and he was younger leaving office than Sanders would be entering it. Even Hillary and Trump were pushing it as far as age goes.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2016, 08:39:19 AM »

Obviously this is very superficial but it's still important - Sanders looks very old and doddery in a way that the other geriatrics that ran this year didn't.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2016, 10:32:29 AM »

Very ironical that most off these posters supported someone who would have been the oldest President, older than Reagan. Very ironical that Hillary did few rallies, fainted, had concussion, blood clot, poor stamina & there was no word from all these people who continued to vociferously support someone who didn't have the health or stamina of being President only because she didn't look very old (dressed well etc).

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2016, 12:22:16 PM »

Very ironical that most off these posters supported someone who would have been the oldest President, older than Reagan. Very ironical that Hillary did few rallies, fainted, had concussion, blood clot, poor stamina & there was no word from all these people who continued to vociferously support someone who didn't have the health or stamina of being President only because she didn't look very old (dressed well etc).

The premise of your gibberish is untrue, but, the word is ironic. You're not in 1883.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2016, 12:24:40 PM »

The premise of your gibberish is untrue, but, the word is ironic. You're not in 1883.

I sometimes like to use proper grammar!
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2016, 04:28:15 PM »

... But "ironical" is improper grammar?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2016, 04:49:21 PM »

... But "ironical" is improper grammar?

Or we could forgo prescriptivism entirely.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2016, 10:27:27 PM »

That Sanders is not a Democrat, but an Independent who caucuses with Democrats, will be a big deal in 2020.

Bernie needs to become a Democrat.  Period.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies