Would liberals of the 50s/60s approve of todays pro-McCarthyism Democrats?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:22:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Would liberals of the 50s/60s approve of todays pro-McCarthyism Democrats?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would liberals of the 50s/60s approve of todays pro-McCarthyism Democrats?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Would liberals of the 50s/60s approve of todays pro-McCarthyism Democrats?  (Read 847 times)
JJC

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2016, 11:38:15 PM »

Well?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 11:44:52 PM »

McCarthyism was a wide reaching witch hunt that involved blacklisting. No Democrats are doing anything close to that right now.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 11:50:26 PM »

I take it your butthurt over the "Reagan pro-Russia gop" thread
Cashew
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 11:51:48 PM »

McCarthyism was a wide reaching witch hunt that involved blacklisting. No Democrats are doing anything close to that right now.

The Washington post is.
EnglishPete

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 11:59:41 PM »

You must be joking. The witch hunting and blacklisting of people accused of racism/sexism/homophobia/etc (delete as applicable) has been going on for decades now and plenty of Democrats have been involved.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 11:59:41 PM »

burn all the strawmen you want, you are in power and end of story.

JJC

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 12:17:50 AM »

You must be joking. The witch hunting and blacklisting of people accused of racism/sexism/homophobia/etc (delete as applicable) has been going on for decades now and plenty of Democrats have been involved.

Yep. This is why we have Trump.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 12:47:12 AM »

This. Republicans are the biggest "sore winners" I have ever seen.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 01:39:40 AM »

No, I'm not joking. Have a several seats, sweetheart.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 01:53:57 AM »

This. Republicans are the biggest "sore winners" I have ever seen.

I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 02:11:50 AM »

That is true.
EnglishPete

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 06:25:39 AM »

Well let me refresh your memory. You will be familiar with the oft publicised ritual of an SJW denunciation. It goes a little something like this. Someone (e.g. Brendan Eich, Pax Dickenson, Curt Schilling, Pat Buchanan, Milo Yiannopolis etc) will be accused of being a racist/sexist/homophobe/witch (delete as applicable). A whole swarm of SJWs will point out the target of their outrage, denounce him, demand that he resign/be fired/be boycotted/be employment blacklisted/etc. Usually the person targeted will then indeed lose their livelihood/be employment blacklisted etc.

This form of politically correct  witch hunting and blacklisting has been going on for decades now and Democrats have been enthusiastic practitioners of it. They repeatedly tried to witch hunt Trump in this way during the election and are now feeling butthurt that it didn't work out for them.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 07:21:46 AM »

The left doesn't see things like that as bad, they decided Freedom of Speech was an out dated concept a few years ago.  If you don't agree with them, you don't get to speak at any place easily strong armed.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 07:27:49 AM »

Stop being so fycking stupid.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 08:42:35 AM »

Well let me refresh your memory. You will be familiar with the oft publicised ritual of an SJW denunciation. It goes a little something like this. Someone (e.g. Brendan Eich, Pax Dickenson, Curt Schilling, Pat Buchanan, Milo Yiannopolis etc) will be accused of being a racist/sexist/homophobe/witch (delete as applicable). A whole swarm of SJWs will point out the target of their outrage, denounce him, demand that he resign/be fired/be boycotted/be employment blacklisted/etc. Usually the person targeted will then indeed lose their livelihood/be employment blacklisted etc.

This form of politically correct  witch hunting and blacklisting has been going on for decades now and Democrats have been enthusiastic practitioners of it. They repeatedly tried to witch hunt Trump in this way during the election and are now feeling butthurt that it didn't work out for them.

Have you ever actually listened to and/or read people like Pat Buchanan and Milo Yiannopolis? I won't deny the SJW wing of the Left can be illiberal and excessive (not to mention annoying), but there are some figures who so thoroughly revel in bigotry and sadism towards others that they absolutely deserve to be boycotted and terminated from any position of influence or power.
EnglishPete

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 09:14:40 AM »

Have you ever actually listened to and/or read people like Pat Buchanan and Milo Yiannopolis?
Yes I have.  Buchanan's written many great articles and Yiannopolis is a good writer and a very entertaining speaker.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
So witch hunting and blacklisting are OK if its done against people I consider to be witches.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 09:52:44 AM »

McCarthyism also involved a complete lack of evidence. That's the exact opposite of Pussygrabber, where he and his staff openly admit to their conduct, much of which was conducted in full public view.

The Trumpublicans had best get used to this. They're going to spend the next four years trying to hide from how awful their leader is.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 12:33:40 PM »

Even though I don't like Trump and didn't vote for him (I voted for Gary Johnson), They did try to witch hunt Donald Trump.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 12:50:25 PM »

Have you ever actually listened to and/or read people like Pat Buchanan and Milo Yiannopolis?
Yes I have.  Buchanan's written many great articles and Yiannopolis is a good writer and a very entertaining speaker.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
So witch hunting and blacklisting are OK if its done against people I consider to be witches.

That says everything anyone would need to know.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 12:54:59 PM »

Some people get judged on the words and actions, which is perfectly fair. Blacklisting by McCarthy was not based on that, it was all about unfounded suspicions. Besides, none of the people you mentioned have really been blacklisted. Blacklisting resulted in a total loss of career and livelihood for some people. Someone actually committed suicide over being blacklisted.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 01:04:22 PM »

Oh, yeah, Trump is totally going to be a uniter if this is the attitude his supporters take.

No wonder our political climate is so toxic. People from both sides with legitimate grievances decide that the nobody from the opposing side has any legitimate grievances at all, thus generating more grievances with their smug behavior.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies