OH, PA, MI +WI are finished because of globalization.Presidents can't solve it (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:04:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  OH, PA, MI +WI are finished because of globalization.Presidents can't solve it (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OH, PA, MI +WI are finished because of globalization.Presidents can't solve it  (Read 1621 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: December 12, 2016, 02:40:24 PM »

The same can be said of Kentucky and West Virginia, although for slightly different reasons maybe.

Ironically the areas in the state that are improving (Madison, Pittsburgh, Philly, Columbus, Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids) are all areas that trended Democratic.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 09:10:49 AM »

Current unemployment rates in those states:

PA: 5,7%
OH: 4,8%
MI: 4,6%
WI: 4,1%

These are not high unemployment rates at all. Almost every European country would be jealous of those rates and all but PA are lower than for the US as a whole.

I don't think it has as much to do with the actual lack of employment, I believe it has more to do with that fact that we here in a place like Ohio are making money but the cost of living has far exceeded the cost of wages. So you have people working full-time still having to decide whether or not to pay their rent or their insurance. People having to decide whether they can buy groceries this week or wait another week because they need to get gas money.

It's expenses that are the problem.

So if unemployment is so "low" and expenses are so "high" WTF is the problem with raising the minimum wage???

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 04:13:32 PM »

The massive shifts to red also included MN, ND, SD, NH, and ME, some of which are doing well.

As Nate Silver said, income didn't matter as much this year when controlling for other factors so financial situation is at best an incomplete explanation. It was education more than anything.

Perhaps non-college whites are disproportionately likely to believe illegals will be competing against jobs that don't require college education. I think it's psychology more than anything. Sometimes, when you're financially doing well, you still don't feel happy and find ways to feel negative.

Non-college whites have been fleeing Dems since 2008. Hillary, as flawed as she was, was also largely a victim of bad timing.

I'm honestly disappointed that blue wall has crumbled and I don't know if Dems will ever be able to convince them back. Midwest is a region that's hardly gaining population.

Some Dems seem to be flocking to the South, a region Clinton outperformed Obama but AZ, GA, and TX type of states won't turn purple any time soon. Geographies are failing them right now.

AZ is practically already purple.   I really disagree on GA and TX as well.   I think the 2016 election sets up where the Democrats go in 2020, and it's definitely south and west.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies