Clinton campaign supports intelligence briefings for the EC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:54:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton campaign supports intelligence briefings for the EC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Clinton campaign supports intelligence briefings for the EC  (Read 1290 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2016, 03:53:12 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/electors-intelligence-briefing-trump-russia-232498

Basically means the candidate has walked back her "Open mind and a chance to lead" plea and wants the EC to elect someone besides Trump, preferably herself.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 03:57:57 PM »

Only seven days left until this farce comes to an end.

Remember that we won't have any idea of how many faithless electors there actually were at that point. The vote is counted by congress in the opening days of the 2017 session. So really another three weeks or so to wait still.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 04:00:32 PM »

Hopefully lots of electors vote for Mickey Mouse or Harry Potter to show what a garbage system the EC is.
60+ GOP Seats After 2018 GUARANTEED
ahugecat

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 04:23:55 PM »

Hopefully lots of electors vote for Mickey Mouse or Harry Potter to show what a garbage system the EC is.
Garbage? Lol I remember just a day before the election the EC was going to be the reason Trump lost. The "blue wall" and all.

Trump played to win the series - Clinton played to run up the score. Maybe she should have focused more on Wisconsin and Michigan than Omaha, NE?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 05:02:56 PM »

Garbage? Lol I remember just a day before the election the EC was going to be the reason Trump lost. The "blue wall" and all.

Trump played to win the series - Clinton played to run up the score. Maybe she should have focused more on Wisconsin and Michigan than Omaha, NE?
hrrrmw? in what plausible scenario does clinton win every firewall state while not also comfortably winning the popular vote?
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 05:09:01 PM »

Between this and the recount effort, it seems democrats may never be able to emotionally accept that Trump won the election. Even after he is sworn In I imagine articles of impeachment will be brought by some liberal congressman looking to virtue-signal to his donors
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 05:13:02 PM »

I've opposed the electoral college for a while. It's unsettling to me how many Americans who claim to love "democracy" are fine with a blatantly undemocratic system. I guess it's another case of people being fine with an unfair system as long as it benefits their side.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 05:14:27 PM »

Between this and the recount effort, it seems democrats may never be able to emotionally accept that Trump won the election.
i hope not! surrendering to fascism hasn't worked out too well for, well, anyöne ever.
60+ GOP Seats After 2018 GUARANTEED
ahugecat

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 05:32:33 PM »

Between this and the recount effort, it seems democrats may never be able to emotionally accept that Trump won the election.
i hope not! surrendering to fascism hasn't worked out too well for, well, anyöne ever.
How is Trump a fascist?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 05:39:24 PM »

Seriously, if it were to work (just saying for the discussion's sake), it would be an utter disaster. It will be perceived as a coup by a power-obsessed sore loser and it would be even worse for broading existing divisions than simply protesting Trump.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 05:40:35 PM »

How is Trump a fascist?
this has been discussed to death. go read umberto eco's essay "fourteen ways of looking at a fascist", for a start
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 05:45:32 PM »

Clearly having lost the election all the democrats and their left-wing media allies can do is try and deligitimize Trump.
First nonsense about hacking and ridiculous recount in WI, which of course resulted in a net change of only 162 vote gain for Trump.
Next an attempt to get Republican electors to change their vote for Trump that even resulted in death threats.
Now an unsubstantiated, unproven, repudiated claim that Russia influenced the election by telling the truth about the democrats by releasing unedited emails?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 06:05:15 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/electors-intelligence-briefing-trump-russia-232498

Basically means the candidate has walked back her "Open mind and a chance to lead" plea and wants the EC to elect someone besides Trump, preferably herself.

No, it just means they support the idea that the people who have the greatest responsibility in the world--electing the US President--need to know the full extent of the CIA's findings.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 06:10:36 PM »

How is Trump a fascist?

From Wikipedia:

Fascists believe that liberal democracy is obsolete, and they regard the complete mobilization of society under a totalitarian one-party state as necessary to prepare a nation for armed conflict and to respond effectively to economic difficulties. Such a state is led by a strong leader—such as a dictator and a martial government composed of the members of the governing fascist party— to forge national unity and maintain a stable and orderly society. Fascism rejects assertions that violence is automatically negative in nature, and views political violence, war, and imperialism  as means that can achieve national rejuvenation. Fascists advocate a mixed economy, with the principal goal of achieving autarky through protectionist and interventionist economic policies.

For the record, I don't think Trump is a fascist. I don't think he has any overarching ideology beyond amassing as much power and influence as possible. However, he has largely used the same playbook as fascist movements in accruing that power.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 06:10:37 PM »

Clearly having lost the election all the democrats and their left-wing media allies can do is try and deligitimize Trump.
First nonsense about hacking and ridiculous recount in WI, which of course resulted in a net change of only 162 vote gain for Trump.
Next an attempt to get Republican electors to change their vote for Trump that even resulted in death threats.
Now an unsubstantiated, unproven, repudiated claim that Russia influenced the election by telling the truth about the democrats by releasing unedited emails?

I'll give you unproven (unfortunately the way that the CIA operates it is very difficult for them to "prove" anything without giving away their methods and thus destroying their very reason for existence....frustrating but necessary nonetheless) but unsubstantiated and repudiated? Seriously? Do you really have that little faith in intelligence officials who have made it their life's work to know such things?

And for your claim of repudiated, what evidence has been presented that the CIA's findings are false?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 06:12:47 PM »

"Amassing as much power and influence as possible" is precisely what fascists support and do.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 06:21:46 PM »

How is Trump a fascist?

He tried to make unconstitutional recess appointments to a labor board.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 08:01:51 PM »

Anyone who doesn't think that we should be investigating any potential Russian hack of our election, after the friggin CIA just confirmed that there was some kind of interference, is quite simply un-American.

I don't care who you support.  Tampering with our election by a foreign entity is something every single one of us should want investigated.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 09:22:13 PM »

what is the standing record for faithless electors?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 10:15:17 PM »

what is the standing record for faithless electors?

Full list:

2004: 1 (Voted for their assigned VP to be both President and VP)
2000: 1 (Abstained)
1988: 1 (Voted for their assigned ticket in reverse order)
1976: 1
1972: 1
1968: 1
1960: 1 (An additional 14 electors were not pledged to any candidate)
1956: 1
1948: 1
1916: 1
1912: 2
1908: 2
1904: 1
1896: 2
1892: 10
1880: 1
1872: 63 (The democratic nominee died after the public voted but before the EC voted)
1832: 5 (two were abstentions)
1828: 22
1824: 19
1820: 1
1812: 5
1808: 10
1804: 2

Before the Passage of the 12th amendment, a "faithless elector" is harder to define. Rough Estimates are as follows:

1800: 16
1796: 8 (one was an abstention)

Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 10:17:36 PM »

Given that there are 8 confirmed faithless electors (7 of them being defectors from Clinton) I would probably guess Trump wins about 300 EVs when everything is said and done
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 10:18:44 PM »

thank you wulfric.

so 10 is the highest number in over a century and the overall "regular" record is 22.

mistertheplague
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 10:47:14 PM »

Anyone who doesn't think that we should be investigating any potential Russian hack of our election, after the friggin CIA just confirmed that there was some kind of interference, is quite simply un-American.

I don't care who you support.  Tampering with our election by a foreign entity is something every single one of us should want investigated.

Apparently partisan advantage and resentment of "liberal elites" outweighs loyalty to country for some people. To paraphrase Donald Trump: Sad!
mistertheplague
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2016, 10:50:37 PM »

Between this and the recount effort, it seems democrats may never be able to emotionally accept that Trump won the election. Even after he is sworn In I imagine articles of impeachment will be brought by some liberal congressman looking to virtue-signal to his donors

Impeachment is going to come from the RNC crowd who fixed him up with Pence as the ideal stand-in. Once Trump's out of the way, BAU time.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 10:53:10 PM »

If the situation was reversed, Republicans would want the same thing.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies