If the electoral college were to vote in Hillary Clinton... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:51:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If the electoral college were to vote in Hillary Clinton... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If the electoral college were to vote in Hillary Clinton...  (Read 3956 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« on: December 12, 2016, 10:36:14 PM »

IF it happened it'd be war because there is no legit reason for the electors not to vote for Trump.

Legit reason #1: It is their duty, and main reason for being, to deny the presidency to a would-be dictator.

Legit reason #2: Russia and James Comey elected Trump; not the American people.

We won.

You lost.

Quit being bitter.

You won because Russia hacked our election.

You lost by nearly 3 million votes.

But anyway, the two reasons I listed are valid and I challenge you to prove otherwise.

As far as I'm concerned, folks have a right to be as bitter as they want to be.

If this happened, the folks who are now whining will be cheering and vice versa.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 10:11:03 PM »

Congress would reject the electoral votes of the traitors and then elect Trump and Pence.
Not unless, somehow, the SCOTUS threw out the EC vote of 270 and somehow determined that the House would decide the matter.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 06:05:59 PM »

The Republican victory was legitimate.

Prove it wasn't.

The Democrats lost because they nominated a horrible candidate, cold, calculating, establishment, who had trouble connecting with ordinary, every day, honest, hard working, tax paying Americans, not because of anything the Russians may or may not have done.

2.5 million votes say otherwise, but an antiquated system saved Trump from a loss. Besides, your man won the Presidency, so why are you even worried about how other people are perceiving the win? Really, you need to allow others to have their opinions.

Clearly, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

I never have disputed the Democrats margin in the popular vote.  Just as a point of interest, it was mainly a result of the Democrats lopsided margin in California.  But I'm sure you already know that.  

However, I also have the right to defend my party and my positions.

So, the voters of California shouldn't count as much in the popular vote as those from elsewhere?

As far as I can tell, if 270 Electoral College Electors elect somebody other than Donald Trump, as any patriotic American should hope they do, there is nothing either the Supreme Court and certainly not the Republican Congress can do to overturn who they elect as President.

The Republicans here seem to be just like Donald Trump: I like the rules when they go my way but I'll whine like the little baby I am when they don't.

If you support the Electoral College either because of the 'protect the small states' or simply because Trump has nominally won the election under it (and almost certainly will be elected by them) then you have to support the entire Electoral College as written in the Constitution, and, though it has never been tested in court, it seems pretty clear to me that the Constitution says on this that the Electors can vote for whoever they like. (And in all but 3 states the penalty is no more than a nominal fine.)

So, according to the Constitution, the person who receives 270 electoral college votes is, by definition, the legitimate winner.

Each voter in California counts as much as any other voter in California.  Ditto Idaho.  Ditto Rhode Island.

Baker v. Carr and Reynolds v. Sims are cases that apply to reapportionment of state and local Governments and apportionment to the US House.  It doesn't upset the Senate, where Idaho and California have the same number of Senators.  And it doesn't change the fact that 582,658 Wyoming residents have merely one (1) Rep. in Congress, the same as Delaware and its 925,749 residents.

Your candidate lost because she stunk.   If she were decent, she would have won.  And she had the most arrogant campaign staff with hubris beyond measure.  They stunk, too.

If you've got some kind of proof of vote-counting machinery being rigged, let's have at it.  I'm for manual hand counts of paper ballots in all 50 states if that's what it takes for folks to feel OK with this election.  Otherwise, I would suggest that taking your defeat like an adult may well serve you in good stead when you live to fight another day.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies