Concession regarding Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:55:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Concession regarding Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Concession regarding Trump  (Read 1281 times)
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2016, 05:38:36 PM »
« edited: December 12, 2016, 05:41:19 PM by hermit »

It's sure been hard dealing with all of Trump's negatives, which are vast and very distasteful.

But since he has been elected the President, it's time to get past the distasteful parts of his personality, actions, attitude, and ALL of his conflicts of interests, and get on with business.

If he can cut costs in govt, cut the waste, strong-arm China into acting honorably instead of bilking us for billions with their cheating ways, if he can create jobs by focusing on propping up our infrastructure which we sorely need, if in the process of trashing the EPA and our environment he still leaves us some clean air to breathe, if all those millionaires and billionaires he is stuffing his cabinet with really do end up working FOR the American people instead of just themselves, if he brings down the price of drugs and cuts the waste there, if he doesn't end up giving the store away to big business but actually does help the Middle class and the Lower class, if our economy doesn't tank and if he doesn't start WWIII, I'll have to think twice about his Presidency being a disaster.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 05:57:44 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2016, 05:59:47 PM by Virginia »

If somehow Trump somehow got a ton of policies enacted that brought years of unbridled prosperity to our country, I'd be perfectly OK with calling his job as president terrific and successful. I won't delegitimize the good things he does (if any)

That being said, the Trump himself, as a person, is still a scumbag and if even a fraction of the things he has been accused of doing are true, he deserves to be in prison, not the White House. He has bumbled through his life making countless people miserable, and that will not be forgotten.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 06:05:32 PM »

If somehow Trump somehow got a ton of policies enacted that brought years of unbridled prosperity to our country, I'd be perfectly OK with calling his job as president terrific and successful. I won't delegitimize the good things he does (if any)

That being said, the Trump himself, as a person, is still a scumbag and if even a fraction of the things he has been accused of doing are true, he deserves to be in prison, not the White House. He has bumbled through his life making countless people miserable, and that will not be forgotten.
He only made a few people miserable and they deserved it.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 06:20:43 PM »

You are by far the most ethically objectionable character I have ever seen on a forum, hands down. There are few people with such a blatant combination of ideological hackery and lack of empathy/sympathy.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 06:29:21 PM »

I appreciate the topic post. There are too many people who are completely unwilling to accept Trump trying to do anything, and it is completely irrational. Criticize him when he does something bad and praise him when he does something good.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 06:39:28 PM »

I really don't see why Democrats would see things this way. We really should be going full-GOP right now: it's our duty to make sure he doesn't accomplish anything and hope the economy tanks so we can defeat him.

It's too bad we don't have anybody with the rocks to come out and say it publicly: Donald Trump is an illegitimate president who did not win the popular vote, and our only goal over the next four years is to ensure he is defeated. This is a man whose policies are a more technologically-advanced version of those of Adolf Hitler. That's the justification.

Republicans did it to Obama because of his race, we're doing it to Donald Trump because his policies are dangerous not just to Americans, but the entire world. Until we do that, until we collectively as a party stand up and fight back, we'll keep losing. Politics is a war without blood. To do anything other than nonstop obstructionism is like bringing an olive branch to a gunfight. You're going to lose every time.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 06:44:51 PM »

I appreciate the topic post. There are too many people who are completely unwilling to accept Trump trying to do anything, and it is completely irrational. Criticize him when he does something bad and praise him when he does something good.

He already doesn't drink or smoke. Perhaps he'll turn out to be a vegetarian, who supports animal right, too!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 06:52:29 PM »

I'll admit, even though I'm supporting Trump now, his attacks on the intelligence community bothered me. Stuff like this-
https://twitter.com/JasonKander/status/807963424756027392

Other than that, I agree with you. If Trump is a successful president, I'll be relieved. It will have validated my choice to go GOP.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 08:08:53 PM »

I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 09:09:07 PM »

It's sure been hard dealing with all of Trump's negatives, which are vast and very distasteful.

But since he has been elected the President, it's time to get past the distasteful parts of his personality, actions, attitude, and ALL of his conflicts of interests, and get on with business.

If he can cut costs in govt, cut the waste, strong-arm China into acting honorably instead of bilking us for billions with their cheating ways, if he can create jobs by focusing on propping up our infrastructure which we sorely need, if in the process of trashing the EPA and our environment he still leaves us some clean air to breathe, if all those millionaires and billionaires he is stuffing his cabinet with really do end up working FOR the American people instead of just themselves, if he brings down the price of drugs and cuts the waste there, if he doesn't end up giving the store away to big business but actually does help the Middle class and the Lower class, if our economy doesn't tank and if he doesn't start WWIII, I'll have to think twice about his Presidency being a disaster.
That is a good point.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 09:37:05 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2016, 09:50:56 PM by Storebought »

F all of appeasers: I want to see Trump destroyed.

The best way of burying Trump regime is aggressive, never-ending interest rate hikes from the Fed the second the last Obama fiscal quarter ends (so that no one can be partisan and stupid enough to blame the tanking economy on him). No way should he be allowed to borrow-and-spend this country to ruin when US Treasuries reach credit card level interest rates.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 09:41:28 PM »

this is absurd.

he won cause he won cause he won - end of story.

makes his daily dealings not one ounce better or easier to swallow.

his election alone is a loss for the american dream and the unique status of america.

winning in his way is awful enough - criticizing his daily steps to authoritarism is normal and "post-election" work.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 10:19:39 PM »

IF he can avoid a near-term economic crash, or a war, then I suspect his "loot the US" strategy will pay off big for the next 4-8 years. Then he and the GOP will try to leave the Dems holding the bag of a wrecked nation. But that won't make it good.

Selling your home and furnishings and then renting it back and living off the proceeds would superficially be a successful-looking way to live in the short term. That's the sort of success that he's promising.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 10:20:36 PM »

You are by far the most ethically objectionable character I have ever seen on a forum, hands down. There are few people with such a blatant combination of ideological hackery and lack of empathy/sympathy.
You must have missed the posts where liberal folks suggested I should drink beach or get cancer, or the liberal who wanted to kick a little boy in the stomach because his mom dressed him up as a miniature Trump for Halloween.  I never even respond to the personal attacks.  But I did get angry at the one about the kid.
But who did Trump make miserable?  Rosie is the only one I can think of, and that was after she ripped him for no real reason.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 12:00:29 AM »

The way he spins his own fictions into truths and denounces real facts is Orwellian. No amount of positive accomplishments can dig the country out of what he has done, is doing, and will continue to do to the American psyche. His successor might not even be able to fix it. It's scary and should not be legitimized if he manages to add a few jobs with highly unsustainable tax rates.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2016, 12:54:35 AM »

First of all thanks to the OP, PiT, and Beet for bringing some decency to this thread. This is why I returned to this place.

Trump deserves the chance to govern. He won in the system that has always worked for the country. Just because Hillary won the popular vote doesn't mean the EC should be rigged for her; that's denying the system it's job and denying the people in Trump's states their votes. Hillary lost; please get over it. No need to go into the many reasons why. All these excuses and plots to undermine his election are getting old.

I think he has potential to do alright. I don't think he'll be a dictator or a nightmare; more of a Republican or a hybird. He will be a very unique President for sure; good or bad.. His first two years will say a lot. If he has a good deal of success the mid term in '18 will go ahead okay and he will prob get re-elected. If not it'll be interesting in 2020. Time will tell if he has a Dubya style era or a Reagan one.

I'm optimistic and not a bit sore. I wouldn't have been if Hillary won as well; it's sad seeing many people like this it really is.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 01:07:39 AM »

No matter how many factories open up in Ohio, I will still hate Trump with every fiber of my being.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2016, 01:27:49 AM »

If the transition is any indication, no one should expect that he will be a good President.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2016, 01:28:20 AM »

No matter how many factories open up in Ohio, I will still hate Trump with every fiber of my being.

Here's the problem with that. Filling yourself with hate hurts only you. That's why I have to let go of my intense dislike for Trump, because it was making me feel too icky inside. I'll give the guy a chance. Maybe he'll be able to get some things done that need changing.

I guess we don't have to like or respect the guy, but if he can turn some things around in our economy for the better, he deserves a chance. A lot of people have faith in him.

Of course things could go in the opposite direction as well. Guess we'll see soon enough.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2016, 01:58:54 AM »
« Edited: December 13, 2016, 02:02:17 AM by Frodo »

Putin has won.  If even liberal Democrats are coming over to Trump -our first Russian president-, then it really is game over.  

That's my concession. 
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2016, 06:33:37 AM »

Stage 5 Hermit.

ACCEPTANCE.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2016, 09:33:19 AM »

He already doesn't drink or smoke. Perhaps he'll turn out to be a vegetarian, who supports animal right, too!

I see what you did there.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 02:34:28 PM »

I accept that he won, but he still has to do a lot to prove himself. I can't buy into their platform so I could never vote Republican, but the pendulum has swung toward them this time so I will hope for the best (while expecting the worst).
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2016, 03:07:11 PM »

We shouldn't accept or concede to a dictatorship. If he stops his authoritarian ways, then that's fine. But we should never accept the fascist takeover of America and fight back at every turn.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2016, 03:15:30 PM »

There are specific issues that Democrats can work with him on, but he has still shown himself to be vile, petty, unprepared, and lacking any desire to better prepare himself to be president. If he somehow manages to be a fair, just, and effective president, then of course I'll think differently, but I see no indication that he'll be anything other than incompetent.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies