What was the most densely populated county that Trump won?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:44:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  What was the most densely populated county that Trump won?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What was the most densely populated county that Trump won?  (Read 2599 times)
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2016, 09:35:18 PM »

We know that Democrats are strong in densely populated, urban areas, especially in this election. Does anyone know what the most densely populated county equivalent that Trump won was? I assume that the most sparsely populated county equivalent that Clinton won was the Unorganized Borough in Alaska.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 09:47:20 PM »

This is actually a very easy question -- the answer is Richmond County, New York, or Staten Island, which was the 11th-most densely populated county in the US at the 2010 Census. It is the only one among the top twenty-five that Trump carried. (Number two, for your information, is Pinellas County, Florida, at number 30).
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 09:48:29 PM »

I was going to guess Duval, FL, but if Staten Island is its own county, it wins.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 10:01:07 PM »

I was going to guess Duval, FL, but if Staten Island is its own county, it wins.

richmond county, won by trump.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 10:25:46 PM »

This is actually a very easy question -- the answer is Richmond County, New York, or Staten Island, which was the 11th-most densely populated county in the US at the 2010 Census. It is the only one among the top twenty-five that Trump carried. (Number two, for your information, is Pinellas County, Florida, at number 30).

Oh, wow, I forgot about that. I initially thought that it would be further down on the list.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 05:09:52 PM »

Maricopa has a large amount of rural acrege, but >95% of the population is in the giant megacity of Phionex, Scottsdale, etc.

Trump narrowly(ish) won there, but likely would have still won if the rural areas were chopped off.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 12:31:45 PM »

This raises an interesting point about population density.

It is usually calculated simply as population divided by area.

But it would make more sense to calculate it as the average distance away from the nearest household for each household. That would more accurately reflect how the people of that county actually live.

So if the vast majority of the population of a county lives in a very dense city, and the rest of the county is empty, it will be considered deceptively "rural" by the traditional measure of population density.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 12:59:58 PM »

But it would make more sense to calculate it as the average distance away from the nearest household for each household. That would more accurately reflect how the people of that county actually live.

So if the vast majority of the population of a county lives in a very dense city, and the rest of the county is empty, it will be considered deceptively "rural" by the traditional measure of population density.

There has actually been talk at the U.S. Census Bureau that traditional measures of population density do in fact leave something to me desired.

Its unlikely that data is rich enough to measure distances between individual households, but I think I remember hearing that in 2010 the USCB began measuring the average density of census tracts in order to achieve a more complete picture of population density.  I can't seem to find those numbers anywhere though
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 03:04:36 PM »

There has actually been talk at the U.S. Census Bureau that traditional measures of population density do in fact leave something to me desired.

Its unlikely that data is rich enough to measure distances between individual households, but I think I remember hearing that in 2010 the USCB began measuring the average density of census tracts in order to achieve a more complete picture of population density.  I can't seem to find those numbers anywhere though

One could do a weighted average by calculating population density per precinct, and then weighting each by the proportion of the total population in that precinct.  This weighted average would help minimize the aforementioned effects.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 03:29:07 PM »

All of Trump's best precinct-level showings in dense census tracts occurred in New York City. Outside of New York, the most dense precinct he received a majority of the vote in was in South Philadelphia (>38,000 people per sqmi). He also had some strong showings in dense parts of Broward and Miami-Dade Counties in Florida (mostly along the coast), some parts of Cook County near Lincolnwood, parts of New Jersey (particularly in Ocean and Bergen), and parts of Orange and San Diego Counties in California.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 11:57:16 AM »

What about for Romney? If Trump's top two were Pinellas and Richmond, Romney lost both of those.
mieastwick
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 12:29:51 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2017, 12:33:11 PM by mieastwick »

What about for Romney? If Trump's top two were Pinellas and Richmond, Romney lost both of those.
Is Orange County being solidly Republican only a distant memory these days?

The second most densely populated county Romney won was Tarrant, Texas.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 05:34:54 PM »

Is Orange County being solidly Republican only a distant memory these days?

The second most densely populated county Romney won was Tarrant, Texas.

I would bet that Tarrant, TX was the 3rd most dense county Trump won after Richmond and Pinellas, but can someone make a longer list? I remember doing it for another year, when Virginia independent cities deceptively had several on the list.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies