Accepting my accolades
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:16:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Accepting my accolades
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Accepting my accolades  (Read 3192 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2016, 04:03:44 AM »

As you may or may not know, I left this forum back on June 3rd, due to the utter leftist garbage being spewed. Living in suburban Ohio, I saw the electorate looked much better for Donald Trump. I tried to warn my fellow liberal posters only to be insulted, deemed a bigot, an idiot. I couldn’t take it. I decided to sit back and wait for Trump to win the election.

Now, a brief trip down memory lane:

I've been playing with the demographic calculator on 538, and even if Trump loses Romney's Hispanic numbers and the turnout is increased overall, he keeps it extremely competitive in the electoral college due to the turnout of non-college whites. In fact, if we can surmise that Trump will do better with black voters than Romney did (you can only go up from there), even if by a small percent, Trump's electoral votes gain drastically.

In fact, many of my calculations show a plausible scenario where Trump loses the popular vote by 1%, but wins a comfortable electoral college victory.

To be honest? Unlike the last two elections where my gut expected Obama to win (and I predicted that both times) my gut this time actually says that Trump will win the election. I just can't see the anti-establishment Trump/Sanders angry political mood culminating in a win for Hillary Clinton. It doesn't make sense. It would be like McCain winning solidly in 2008. I could try and spin it all I want, but in the end, we knew Obama had it from the get-go. My gut tells me this is going to be a good year for Donald Trump.

We need to jackhammer away with males. She's doing so horribly and male voters are the least likely to sway back and forth. If we can get too many whites to vote against her, all she will have is the McGovern rainbow coalition.

I think you guys are way off on this. I'm not talking about the Republican electorate, I'm talking about the entire electorate.

Just a few recent polls:

Federal bank bailout, good or bad?

Bad: 55%
Good: 23%
Unsure: 22%

Government and big business working for or against Americans?

Against: 68%
For: 13%

Should Government programs be enforced to help income inequality?

No: 58%
Yes: 31%

Should there be a shutdown of Muslim immigration?

Yes: 45%
No: 41%

PA/OH/FL

Best to handle the economy?
TRUMP

Best to handle terrorism?
TRUMP

Who is more honest and trustworthy?
TRUMP

How the hell is that only the GOP mood? Those aren't "Republicans only" polls.

I heard a Hillary supporter in another thread mention that the "current environment" favors Hillary Clinton and I was kind of taken back by it. I think the whole Trump/Sanders anti-establishment anti-politician backlash against political correctness benefits Trump much more than Hillary. Maybe I'm wrong. I just can't see all the turnout, the record breaking crowds, the enthusiasm, the anti-Washington attitude in both parties culminating with "Textbook politician Hillary Clinton elected. Time's Person of the Year: Hillary Clinton. Headline of the Year: Hillary Clinton."

Am I wrong here? It just doesn't feel right.

I know a handful of Obama 2012 Trump 2016 voters personally. Of course, it's just a handful of people in Ohio. I actually get the impression he's really well liked up here compared to places like Colorado or Virginia.

Trump seems to do well in the blue collar states (Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan) whereas I think more upscale whites in Virginia and Colorado will be a problem for him. Florida I have no clue.

Who do you think you'll find more of in Ohio or Indiana or Missouri or Florida? A person saying what Trump said, or quoting Maya Angelou poems? The disconnect in this country is astounding, regardless of which side you are on.

I have trouble believing that in this Trump/Sanders/High GOP turnout/anti-establishment election year, the end result will be "Hillary Clinton, the epitome of establishment...in a landslide".

Once again, you all missed it. You missed the point. I was always respectful in my opinions and analysis, which was proven right on Election Day, only to be torn apart. That blindness in the obvious led to the liberal defeat. I must accept accolades.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 05:14:24 AM »

Credit goes where credit's due.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 07:13:36 PM »

As you may or may not know, I left this forum back on June 3rd, due to the utter leftist garbage being spewed. Living in suburban Ohio, I saw the electorate looked much better for Donald Trump. I tried to warn my fellow liberal posters only to be insulted, deemed a bigot, an idiot. I couldn’t take it. I decided to sit back and wait for Trump to win the election.

Now, a brief trip down memory lane:

I've been playing with the demographic calculator on 538, and even if Trump loses Romney's Hispanic numbers and the turnout is increased overall, he keeps it extremely competitive in the electoral college due to the turnout of non-college whites. In fact, if we can surmise that Trump will do better with black voters than Romney did (you can only go up from there), even if by a small percent, Trump's electoral votes gain drastically.

In fact, many of my calculations show a plausible scenario where Trump loses the popular vote by 1%, but wins a comfortable electoral college victory.

To be honest? Unlike the last two elections where my gut expected Obama to win (and I predicted that both times) my gut this time actually says that Trump will win the election. I just can't see the anti-establishment Trump/Sanders angry political mood culminating in a win for Hillary Clinton. It doesn't make sense. It would be like McCain winning solidly in 2008. I could try and spin it all I want, but in the end, we knew Obama had it from the get-go. My gut tells me this is going to be a good year for Donald Trump.

We need to jackhammer away with males. She's doing so horribly and male voters are the least likely to sway back and forth. If we can get too many whites to vote against her, all she will have is the McGovern rainbow coalition.

I think you guys are way off on this. I'm not talking about the Republican electorate, I'm talking about the entire electorate.

Just a few recent polls:

Federal bank bailout, good or bad?

Bad: 55%
Good: 23%
Unsure: 22%

Government and big business working for or against Americans?

Against: 68%
For: 13%

Should Government programs be enforced to help income inequality?

No: 58%
Yes: 31%

Should there be a shutdown of Muslim immigration?

Yes: 45%
No: 41%

PA/OH/FL

Best to handle the economy?
TRUMP

Best to handle terrorism?
TRUMP

Who is more honest and trustworthy?
TRUMP

How the hell is that only the GOP mood? Those aren't "Republicans only" polls.

I heard a Hillary supporter in another thread mention that the "current environment" favors Hillary Clinton and I was kind of taken back by it. I think the whole Trump/Sanders anti-establishment anti-politician backlash against political correctness benefits Trump much more than Hillary. Maybe I'm wrong. I just can't see all the turnout, the record breaking crowds, the enthusiasm, the anti-Washington attitude in both parties culminating with "Textbook politician Hillary Clinton elected. Time's Person of the Year: Hillary Clinton. Headline of the Year: Hillary Clinton."

Am I wrong here? It just doesn't feel right.

I know a handful of Obama 2012 Trump 2016 voters personally. Of course, it's just a handful of people in Ohio. I actually get the impression he's really well liked up here compared to places like Colorado or Virginia.

Trump seems to do well in the blue collar states (Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan) whereas I think more upscale whites in Virginia and Colorado will be a problem for him. Florida I have no clue.

Who do you think you'll find more of in Ohio or Indiana or Missouri or Florida? A person saying what Trump said, or quoting Maya Angelou poems? The disconnect in this country is astounding, regardless of which side you are on.

I have trouble believing that in this Trump/Sanders/High GOP turnout/anti-establishment election year, the end result will be "Hillary Clinton, the epitome of establishment...in a landslide".

Once again, you all missed it. You missed the point. I was always respectful in my opinions and analysis, which was proven right on Election Day, only to be torn apart. That blindness in the obvious led to the liberal defeat. I must accept accolades.

I've been called every name in the book here.  I've been called a racist, a sexist, a homophobe, delplorable.  All part of the campaign to make people who advocate enforcement of existing immigration laws, who observe Biblical morality and suggest that it is a better foundation for society than what they propose, are somehow the scum of the Earth. 

I had one person who actually wished my demise.  I had another person who created an account using a slight twist of my screen name (one letter off), but the same in every other way, and posted outrageous statements that he/she hoped would be attributed to me.  And lots of folks called me AND my family "deplorable" solely because we were voting for Trump.

Of course, once Trump won, many of these folks left.  The others stayed and whined, but most of the personal attacks stopped.  In their hearts, they are Low Energy Cowards without staying power, and they can't handle a fight where one party can attack them without getting into the mud with them.

I notice that there are a lot more blue avatars now.  And there should be.  While I can understand why folks don't want to take crap from folks when they don't have to, our message to the Moral Pygmies of the Left ought to be simply this;  WE WON'T BE RUN OFF!

No one is going to run me off.  Especially not folks that I have determined to be either (A) foreigners involving themselves in American political dialogue, (B) folks who hide behind a screen name to call me (and others) "deplorable" because they hate Caucasians and/or Christians and don't want to be honest with their own biases, and (C) liberals who, quite frankly, are ambivalent about being American and ambivalent about the kind of patriotism that will cause one to love country over ideology.  The Blame America First crowd.

I know lots of folks on a personal level who backed Hillary.  I feel their pain; my candidate (Dems and Reps at different times) has lost more than once.   But the snot-noses here who felt free to condemn me, and others, on a personal level, freely in this forum have brought me great joy in knowing of their great angst.  And for those who hung in, I hope you get a lift from their angst as well.  I'm not talking about ALL of the Hillary supporters, but I AM talking about those who attacked me personally, and in an uncalled-for way.  And I'll welcome back Reaganfan.  Perhaps it'll be a more rational Atlas in the upcoming months.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 07:39:10 PM »

stopped clocks etc

nobody cares that you two special little snowflakes got your feelings hurt
60+ GOP Seats After 2018 GUARANTEED
ahugecat

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 07:58:52 PM »

stopped clocks etc

Except we (Trump supporters) were right every step of the way while anti-Trump people were wrong every step of the way.

"Trump will never make it to the Fox News debate." "Trump won't make it to 2016." "Trump won't win a primary state." "Trump won't win the nomination." "There will be a brokered convention."

That's just starting. Hell, after the election, Trump supporters are already back to winning again:

- The recounts just ADDED to Trump's lead and now Michigan may have found possible voter fraud in Detroit
- Carrier brought jobs back (more of a PR stunt but good nonetheless), IBM is also bringing tons of jobs back as well now
- People who were freaking out about Trump's Taiwan call are now calling it brilliant
- The backpedaling has already begin with regards to the "Russia hacked the DNC" bull crap

etc. etc.

JUST WIN, BABY!

You lost and now no one cares about YOUR feelings cause we have the Senate, House, Supreme Court, White House, and in 2 years will also have the Constitution (via state convention).
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 09:29:45 PM »

You lost and now no one cares about YOUR feelings cause we have the Senate, House, Supreme Court, White House, and in 2 years will also have the Constitution (via state convention).

What do you mean?  What are you referring to?  
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 09:38:05 PM »

Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 09:42:56 PM »

lol
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 10:09:02 PM »

stopped clocks etc

That's OK.

I do enjoy pointing out the classless behavior of some of the worst of the red avatars, however.  Just to clarify who's living in the glass house when they throw rocks.

You don't have the moral fiber to criticize someone who agrees with you when they go over the top on someone you disagree with.  That's called a lack of integrity.  Own it.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 10:22:25 PM »

What do you mean?  What are you referring to?  

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_amendments_to_the_United_States_Constitution

if republicans have the total control of 34 or 38 states, they can amend the constitution on their own.

not likely atm....even unlikelier in 2018.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 10:38:45 PM »

Welcome back. Smiley We won!
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 10:46:41 PM »

You lost and now no one cares about YOUR feelings

But that's clearly incorrect. Indeed, many supporters of the President-elect seem incapable of discussing anything else.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 11:01:24 PM »

I wouldn't say that people predicting Trump would win were right about everything, but yes, in the case of the election result, you guys were right. There's no denying that. I'm not going to defend everything that every Clinton supporter on this forum said; no doubt, many inappropriate and inexcusable things were said. While I was relentless in my criticism of Trump, I tried to stay away from attacks on individual users. With that said, one of the reasons many of us on the left may have been particularly "passionate" is because of how much we believed was at stake in this election. It wasn't just about being afraid of a Republican winning. Many of us felt threatened, or knew people who felt threatened by the (then) possibility of a Trump presidency. The idea of someone who got so much attention from launching insults, often directed at the most vulnerable members of society, becoming president was unthinkably awful to us. Even if most of us knew that there was a chance that the polls could be wrong, we didn't want to get into it, because the implications of a Trump victory were legitimately frightening to us.

Alas, here we are. You want accolades, here you go. You won this battle, and we lost. We're not going away, though (most of us, at least), and whenever Trump does something that we strongly disapprove of, we won't be shy about voicing our dissent. I would quickly respond to what FuzzyBear said by saying that this is not just about losing an election. Yes, disappointment is part of it, but this is not how I, for one, felt in 2000 or 2004. I felt as if many people who I love the most have been told that they don't deserve to live in this country or be considered American. I'm not saying that everyone who voted for Trump believes that, or wanted to send that message, but there are many who have done and said terrible things in the name of Trump. Those people feel emboldened by his victory. Understand that this isn't just a case of people being sore losers. Most of us have accepted the results, but "getting over it" and "getting behind Trump" would involve putting aside fears that are very much grounded in reality.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 11:48:00 PM »

people who said trump would win the EC without the PV were correct and deserve credit.

all kind of interpretation is free for all.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 01:11:02 AM »

No one cares Naso. You're still an idiot.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 08:39:33 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's OK.

I do enjoy pointing out the classless behavior of some of the worst of the red avatars, however.  Just to clarify who's living in the glass house when they throw rocks.

You don't have the moral fiber to criticize someone who agrees with you when they go over the top on someone you disagree with.  That's called a lack of integrity.  Own it.
there's no such thing as goïng over the top against fascists

this whole "respect people who disagree with you" thing is all well and good when the "disagreement" you're talking about is ice cream flavours or sports or w/e, but not when it's about people's right to exist
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 09:34:28 AM »

Regarding the nasty posts you received months ago... how many of them were from obvious trolls like white trash, RINO Tom, etc?  I don't think it's fair to lump all posters together.
You have to pick out two posters to call out as trolls and you choose Southern Gothic and RINO Tom?
PresidentSamTilden

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 06:58:09 PM »

Props...trump still sucks, though.
rbt48

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 08:19:01 PM »

The reality is that most of the posts on this great website are from more liberal people.  That is understandable.  What is unfortunate is the tendency of some to respond in an impolite and unprofessional way to posts that are intended to share a genuine opinion. 

I send my respects to Reaganfan and honor his freedom of speech.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 09:25:20 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2016, 09:29:16 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

I wouldn't say that people predicting Trump would win were right about everything, but yes, in the case of the election result, you guys were right. There's no denying that. I'm not going to defend everything that every Clinton supporter on this forum said; no doubt, many inappropriate and inexcusable things were said. While I was relentless in my criticism of Trump, I tried to stay away from attacks on individual users. With that said, one of the reasons many of us on the left may have been particularly "passionate" is because of how much we believed was at stake in this election. It wasn't just about being afraid of a Republican winning. Many of us felt threatened, or knew people who felt threatened by the (then) possibility of a Trump presidency. The idea of someone who got so much attention from launching insults, often directed at the most vulnerable members of society, becoming president was unthinkably awful to us. Even if most of us knew that there was a chance that the polls could be wrong, we didn't want to get into it, because the implications of a Trump victory were legitimately frightening to us.

Alas, here we are. You want accolades, here you go. You won this battle, and we lost. We're not going away, though (most of us, at least), and whenever Trump does something that we strongly disapprove of, we won't be shy about voicing our dissent. I would quickly respond to what FuzzyBear said by saying that this is not just about losing an election. Yes, disappointment is part of it, but this is not how I, for one, felt in 2000 or 2004. I felt as if many people who I love the most have been told that they don't deserve to live in this country or be considered American. I'm not saying that everyone who voted for Trump believes that, or wanted to send that message, but there are many who have done and said terrible things in the name of Trump. Those people feel emboldened by his victory. Understand that this isn't just a case of people being sore losers. Most of us have accepted the results, but "getting over it" and "getting behind Trump" would involve putting aside fears that are very much grounded in reality.

If you are an illegal alien who is a "dreamer", in that you were (A) brought here by your parents or other adults, (B) have lived here since a very young age, and (C) know nothing of life in your native country, then I do have empathy for your plight.  I hope that something can be worked out that would allow them to stay in the US without granting a general amnesty or on terms that gives others incentive to enter our country illegally.

As for adults who came here illegally, they (A) don't deserve to be here, (B) are NOT American, (C) are NOT my countrymen, and (D) deserve deportation.  Those who are here illegally, who came here as adults illegally, deserve every bit of angst and insecurity they may be experiencing right now.  They brought it on themselves, period.  Those who give them sanctuary, who thwart the law, deserve every bit of the same angst and insecurity.  I can't think of a nation that any person would want to emigrate to that wouldn't take the same posture.

A fear of deportation on the part of an illegal alien is a fear that the illegal alien ought to experience.  They don't belong here.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 09:29:45 PM »

Absolutely damning, great job on calling that MONTHS before the election. And I feel so bad that you had to deal with people berating you over it. Awesome job!
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 09:52:18 PM »

Absolutely damning, great job on calling that MONTHS before the election. And I feel so bad that you had to deal with people berating you over it. Awesome job!
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2016, 10:39:10 PM »

If you are an illegal alien who is a "dreamer", in that you were (A) brought here by your parents or other adults, (B) have lived here since a very young age, and (C) know nothing of life in your native country, then I do have empathy for your plight.  I hope that something can be worked out that would allow them to stay in the US without granting a general amnesty or on terms that gives others incentive to enter our country illegally.

As for adults who came here illegally, they (A) don't deserve to be here, (B) are NOT American, (C) are NOT my countrymen, and (D) deserve deportation.  Those who are here illegally, who came here as adults illegally, deserve every bit of angst and insecurity they may be experiencing right now.  They brought it on themselves, period.  Those who give them sanctuary, who thwart the law, deserve every bit of the same angst and insecurity.  I can't think of a nation that any person would want to emigrate to that wouldn't take the same posture.

A fear of deportation on the part of an illegal alien is a fear that the illegal alien ought to experience.  They don't belong here.

I was referring more to some of my Muslim friends. But what about people who were lured here by employers under false pretenses, and only come to understand after the fact that there are here illegally? Some of them are treated terribly by their employers, but can't speak up about it because of their status. I'm not saying that there should be no consequences for people in these situations, but why does all of the vitriol go their way, rather than toward their employers, who are knowingly breaking the law for profit?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2016, 02:40:56 AM »

Congrats, Naso.

I have to say, I screwed up. My gut was saying "Trump's going to pull this off," and my head was saying that it was all sewn up for Clinton after the first debate. I listened to my head and not my gut. This was clearly a huge mistake, and I will try to adjust to our new Trump reality by ignoring my head and trusting my gut in the future.

Right from the get-go, this election felt like it was 100% all about Trump. How many elections have we had that were all about one candidate that saw that candidate end up losing?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2016, 06:14:06 AM »
« Edited: December 15, 2016, 06:16:04 AM by Reaganfan »

Congrats, Naso.

I have to say, I screwed up. My gut was saying "Trump's going to pull this off," and my head was saying that it was all sewn up for Clinton after the first debate. I listened to my head and not my gut. This was clearly a huge mistake, and I will try to adjust to our new Trump reality by ignoring my head and trusting my gut in the future.

Right from the get-go, this election felt like it was 100% all about Trump. How many elections have we had that were all about one candidate that saw that candidate end up losing?

To refresh memories, I was not a Trump supporter. I wanted Marco Rubio. When Rubio had no chance in the Ohio Primary, I voted for my Governor John Kasich. But once Trump was the GOP nominee, I backed him as our party's nominee. Everyone around me voted for him, or at the very least refused to vote for Hillary Clinton. I live in suburban northeast Ohio so I understood how terrible that was for Hillary Clinton.

The first thought that I had in my mind that Trump was going to be President was after the Paris Terrorist Attacks. I was at work looking up at the news and thought "This is going to make Trump President". I tried explaining how many women, yes white women, were totally opposed to the "multicultural diversity" agenda, only to be mocked. For example:

Went to dinner for my birthday two nights ago with my mother and her husband. Both of them voted Obama in 2008 and 2012. I joke with her I think she is the perfect barometer of who will win the election. She is a female swing voter in the Ohio suburbs. I asked her Hillary vs. Trump. There was a long pause. Trump.

It made my night a little better haha

How many of these fake stories have you come up with over the years? I think I've lost count.

Terrible. But lucky for me, I can hold my head high. Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States. The "glass ceiling" is as solid as ever, until a conservative woman comes along to shatter it in the future.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies