MT-AL: Rob Quist (D) vs. Greg Gianforte (R) vs. Mark Wicks (L), May 25
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:17:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MT-AL: Rob Quist (D) vs. Greg Gianforte (R) vs. Mark Wicks (L), May 25
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 119
Author Topic: MT-AL: Rob Quist (D) vs. Greg Gianforte (R) vs. Mark Wicks (L), May 25  (Read 232025 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: March 14, 2017, 11:13:28 AM »
« edited: March 14, 2017, 05:30:05 PM by cinyc »

My Google Survey Poll is complete.  It is either the canary in the coal mine or a huge outlier.

The question:
"Montanans will go to the polls on May 25 to vote for a new U.S. Congressman. If this special election were held today, for whom would you vote?"

The choices were (in random order, except the last option):
"-Democrat Rob Quist
-Republican Greg Gianforte
-Libertarian Mark Wicks
-I am not likely to vote in this election"

502 people were polled.  173 of those 502 chose the "I am not likely to vote in this election" option - 2 fewer than those who chose Democrat Quist.  When weighted for age and sex to 2014 CPS LV weights, the 329 decided likely voters chose Quist by a large margin:

Quist (D) 55%
Gianforte (R) 38%
Wicks (L) 6%
i.e. Quist +17

Unweighted, it's Quist +14 (53/39/8).  Google weighted to the Internet audience is Quist +15 (54/39/8).  The poll was taken from 3/11-14 Mountain Time.

As I hinted, there is a huge regional divide in the results.  Quist has a 33-point 2014 LV weighted lead in Western Montana (which usually comprises about 59% of the vote in a typical election) (64/31/5; N=209).  Gianforte leads by 9 in Eastern Montana (50/41/9; N=116).  Unweighted, it's Quist +29 in Western Montana, and Gianforte +10 in Eastern Montana.

I divided Eastern and Western Montana this way:

It is based on Montana's Area Health Education Regions.

There's not much of a gender gap, at least in the unweighted numbers (women: Quist+16; men Quist +12).  There is a bit of an age gap, with the 18-24 (+18), 25-34 (+34), 55-64 (+34) and 65+ (+15) sets going for Quist, the 35-44 (-9) set going for Gianforte, and the 45-54 set tied, but sample sizes are small.

Google gave me a rural/suburban/urban and imputed income breakdown in their final e-mailed spreadsheet.  I didn't weight them.  Gianforte runs better in rural areas (Quist+4) than suburban areas (Quist+22).  The few urban voters actually broke for Gianforte, but the sample size is really small (N=7).  There's nothing notable about the income numbers except that the overwhelming majority of Montanans polled were $25,000-$49,999 bracket.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #251 on: March 14, 2017, 11:16:29 AM »

Shocked
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #252 on: March 14, 2017, 11:28:56 AM »

I want to get excited but I remember that this is the same polling method that gave Hillary large leads in Kansas. Grain of salt, but this is definitely a race to watch.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #253 on: March 14, 2017, 11:30:58 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2017, 11:37:33 AM by cinyc »

That's insane. Surely this is just small sample noise, right? I mean, is Quist that well-known and liked as a folk singer?

The real question might be whether Gianforte is that well-known and hated statewide.  Quist could be performing as a generic Democrat against a despised Republican.

I want to get excited but I remember that this is the same polling method that gave Hillary large leads in Kansas. Grain of salt, but this is definitely a race to watch.

Definitely take this with a grain of salt.  As I said above, our one-question Google Surveys polls didn't do so well in the 2016 general election.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #254 on: March 14, 2017, 11:33:40 AM »

What the f**k.

I'm sorry, but that's just unbelievable. If Quist won by anywhere close to that margin, the GOP is staring into the abyss if things don't improve.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #255 on: March 14, 2017, 11:36:26 AM »

I think Quist winning big would be a result of the combination of Montana oddities (people love Quist, hate Gianforte, etc.) and national discontent with the Republicans.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #256 on: March 14, 2017, 11:41:07 AM »

Thanks for doing this cinyc, even though in all likelihood, that's a huge outlier.

I could buy the idea that Gianforte is the Montana GOP's Martha Coakley though. Running twice within 6 months probably leaves a bad taste in voter's mouths.

Hopefully a legit pollster comes through sometime soon.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #257 on: March 14, 2017, 11:42:15 AM »

Quist is probably up, but not by that much. If this poll turns out to be accurate, then the Republicans are doing something wrong. I would expect that his ceiling for this particular election to be Quist+10, barring Gianforte pulling an Akin. As an incumbent going into 2018, I could see a +17 type margin, though.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #258 on: March 14, 2017, 11:45:28 AM »

That's insane. Surely this is just small sample noise, right? I mean, is Quist that well-known and liked as a folk singer?

Quist's lead in the survey was always double digits once more than 10 respondents were polled.  His smallest lead in the raw data was about 10.5 points.  It bounced around between 10-15 points most of the time.

Methodology issues are more likely to be an issue than sample size, in my view.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #259 on: March 14, 2017, 11:48:43 AM »

Thanks for doing this cinyc, even though in all likelihood, that's a huge outlier.

I could buy the idea that Gianforte is the Montana GOP's Martha Coakley though. Running twice within 6 months probably leaves a bad taste in voter's mouths.

Hopefully a legit pollster comes through sometime soon.

Seconded. Thanks for doing this, and I think Quist is narrowly favored
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #260 on: March 14, 2017, 11:52:55 AM »

The worst thing about a Quist victory will be the national media interpreting this as a "rejection of the Republican Party" and people here saying that Tester is safe in 2018, etc. Ugh, it's going to be so awful.

If Quist wins by a lot, this will probably happen on Atlas for a few days, maybe a week or two tops. Because we wont have real 2018 data, it'll be easy to extrapolate from this. But it'll die down soon.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #261 on: March 14, 2017, 12:10:13 PM »

The worst thing about a Quist victory will be the national media interpreting this as a "rejection of the Republican Party" and people here saying that Tester is safe in 2018, etc. Ugh, it's going to be so awful.

If Quist wins by a lot, this will probably happen on Atlas for a few days, maybe a week or two tops. Because we wont have real 2018 data, it'll be easy to extrapolate from this. But it'll die down soon.

That same meme will probably get a few days of news cycle too.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #262 on: March 14, 2017, 01:04:43 PM »

Tester will be pretty secure should Quist win big league, though. That's unlikely, but still.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #263 on: March 14, 2017, 03:11:54 PM »

The regional divide is so large as to be unbelievable.  In the 2008 presidential election, the difference between the West and East was about 10 points.  In the 2012 presidential election, it was 12.  A 36 (raw) or 44 (weighted) point difference is way too large.  Small sample sizes leading to large MoEs, terrible Google Surveys methodology or whatever.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #264 on: March 14, 2017, 03:25:50 PM »

hory shet

Well, thanks for compiling all of this, cinyc - and ordering the poll, of course.  Hopefully you didn't piss away $75. Tongue
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #265 on: March 14, 2017, 03:32:20 PM »

Wow. I highly doubt Quist will win by that much, but he is probably ahead at the moment.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #266 on: March 14, 2017, 04:08:51 PM »

The dem isn't going to win lol
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #267 on: March 14, 2017, 04:56:40 PM »

The regional divide is so large as to be unbelievable.  In the 2008 presidential election, the difference between the West and East was about 10 points.  In the 2012 presidential election, it was 12.  A 36 (raw) or 44 (weighted) point difference is way too large.  Small sample sizes leading to large MoEs, terrible Google Surveys methodology or whatever.

What was the sample size of Western vs. Eastern Montana in your poll?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #268 on: March 14, 2017, 05:25:43 PM »

What was the sample size of Western vs. Eastern Montana in your poll?

209/116. 

The West/East divide persisted from the start.  And it always was that stark or very close to it.
Baki
Rookie
Croatia

« Reply #269 on: March 14, 2017, 06:03:58 PM »

I would say this poll shows just that Quist does indeed have a realistic chance of winning this.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #270 on: March 14, 2017, 06:27:40 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2017, 06:34:42 PM by Rep. Minority Whip OneJ_ »

I'll definitely keep a close eye on this race. I'll get too complacent like last year and Ross, Feinstein, Kander (the result was not very surprising though), and Bayh all ended up getting beaten.

So are a good number of Montanans getting fed up with the "establishment or the usual" or could it be something else?

BTW, thanks ciync.
Kantakouzenos
Rookie

« Reply #271 on: March 14, 2017, 09:09:55 PM »

Here is an interesting thought.  If Quist wins and holds the seat until redistricting, he may thereafter have an easier time keeping his seat, since Montana is expected to gain a congressional district.  Assuming the states districts are drawn so that one takes up the west half of the state, and another takes up the east half, he would be competing for a seat that I think would be either a tossup or Democrat leaning, since Quist is from the western half of the state. 
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #272 on: March 14, 2017, 09:17:53 PM »

Here is an interesting thought.  If Quist wins and holds the seat until redistricting, he may thereafter have an easier time keeping his seat, since Montana is expected to gain a congressional district.  Assuming the states districts are drawn so that one takes up the west half of the state, and another takes up the east half, he would be competing for a seat that I think would be either a tossup or Democrat leaning, since Quist is from the western half of the state. 

Good point made.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #273 on: March 14, 2017, 09:27:05 PM »

That would probably require a Democratic governor to get elected in 2020, because in the hypothetical scenario of Montana getting a second district, a Republican could just force him out East and draw a new Western district. I'm skeptical of a Democrat keeping the mansion for 20 straight years, and assuming Bullock challenges Daines and Quist is still in office, that'd be asking to send 2 Democrats to Washington and 1 to Helena. That's a tough sell to a state that voted for Trump by 20%.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #274 on: March 14, 2017, 09:45:24 PM »

That would probably require a Democratic governor to get elected in 2020, because in the hypothetical scenario of Montana getting a second district, a Republican could just force him out East and draw a new Western district. I'm skeptical of a Democrat keeping the mansion for 20 straight years, and assuming Bullock challenges Daines and Quist is still in office, that'd be asking to send 2 Democrats to Washington and 1 to Helena. That's a tough sell to a state that voted for Trump by 20%.

Congressmen don't technically need to live in the district they represent, just the state.  And he could always move into the new district, anyway. 

I suppose that a Republican could gerrymander two clear Republican-leaning districts, though.  But the power of incumbency is sometimes stronger than district lines, anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 119  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies