Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2017, 09:09:31 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, Virginia)
| | |-+  MT-AL: Rob Quist (D) vs. Greg Gianforte (R) vs. Mark Wicks (L), May 25
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 Print
Author Topic: MT-AL: Rob Quist (D) vs. Greg Gianforte (R) vs. Mark Wicks (L), May 25  (Read 15595 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #375 on: March 21, 2017, 03:55:46 am »
Ignore

Our Revolution endorses Rob Quist (& James Thompson) for Congress. Loads of money coming from Bernie's email list.

MT-AL is a winnable seat with a good candidate who can hold a possibly red seat for many number of years. Dems should go all out for this & GA. I remember when Dems kept delaying & cancelling ad buys for Feingold when they though he was too strong/wouldn't need (& spend Millions in Florida wasted on a poor Murphy in an expensive market where Rubio was leading consistently & comfortably). This was while Hillary didn't do a single rally for Russ & Russ was getting slaughtered in TV ads from the Koch Brothers, NRA & other groups.

What is the use of raising 1.4B $ if you can't use it properly. And money is needed not just for ads but for a good ground team. Ray Buckley, NH Chair said if 10% of Hillary's TV money in attack ads were given to party chairs for door to door canvassing, volunteer teams etc - They would do much better !
Deputy Chair Spenstar
Spenstar3D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 21, 2017, 09:28:37 am »
Ignore

Our Revolution endorses Rob Quist (& James Thompson) for Congress. Loads of money coming from Bernie's email list.

MT-AL is a winnable seat with a good candidate who can hold a possibly red seat for many number of years. Dems should go all out for this & GA. I remember when Dems kept delaying & cancelling ad buys for Feingold when they though he was too strong/wouldn't need (& spend Millions in Florida wasted on a poor Murphy in an expensive market where Rubio was leading consistently & comfortably). This was while Hillary didn't do a single rally for Russ & Russ was getting slaughtered in TV ads from the Koch Brothers, NRA & other groups.

This is the saddest, most frustrating, most infuriating thing on this forum. I miss Russ Feingold so much

Author of Hindsight is 2020!
Normally a D-NY or O-NY but I'm studying abroad in Leeds this year!
Your timelines are garbage and the 2020 democratic primaries will be full of blue Dogs from which Jim Webb Prevails.
McGovernForPrez
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 21, 2017, 09:49:47 am »
Ignore

This is the saddest, most frustrating, most infuriating thing on this forum. I miss Russ Feingold so much
Russ was the man. It's so sad he failed. The man behind one of the better campaign finance reform acts defeated by Ron ing Johnson.
Deputy Chair Spenstar
Spenstar3D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 21, 2017, 09:53:39 am »
Ignore

Russ was the man. It's so sad he failed. The man behind one of the better campaign finance reform acts defeated by Ron ing Johnson.

If the DSCC put some money into his race instead of Florida or NC then he'd probably have won, and we'd be in that much better a position. I'm worried we might not have a Senator as great as him for a while, and because of the DSCC's stupidity his name is now too toxic for a Gubernatorial run

Your timelines are garbage and the 2020 democratic primaries will be full of blue Dogs from which Jim Webb Prevails.
McGovernForPrez
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 21, 2017, 10:50:25 am »
Ignore

If the DSCC put some money into his race instead of Florida or NC then he'd probably have won, and we'd be in that much better a position. I'm worried we might not have a Senator as great as him for a while, and because of the DSCC's stupidity his name is now too toxic for a Gubernatorial run
It's like they don't live in the real world. You would've hoped that the Trump presidency would be a wake up call for these people but I'm convinced most of them are too politically inept to do anything about it.
Deputy Chair Spenstar
Spenstar3D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 21, 2017, 11:23:15 am »
Ignore

It's like they don't live in the real world. You would've hoped that the Trump presidency would be a wake up call for these people but I'm convinced most of them are too politically inept to do anything about it.

To be blunt the only thing keeping me a Democrat is my unhealthy optimism. I believe the party can do better than this, even if we're not seeing it right now.

Even if they did learn their lesson now tho it would be too late for Russ Sad

JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: March 21, 2017, 01:37:02 pm »
Ignore

Nah, he lost again to Johnson, he can go suck it.

Shadows
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 21, 2017, 01:50:59 pm »
Ignore

Feingold actually won many rural counties which Hilary lost & surprisingly didn't have the same numbers as Hillary had in some urban counties (that's what I read - Not Sure !). Hillary didn't do 1 rally for him to unite her base for her. Wisconsin has a massive GOP infra build by Walker, Ryan & the Kochs.

Feingold lead throughout the race comfortably & that loss was a shocker. It is fair to blame him too, (he did loose twice to Johnson) maybe he didn't run a good campaign, couldn't connect emotionally with local issues.

Dems lost WI for the 1st time in 30 odd years & with any other Dem candidate & Feingold would probably be in the Senate. He was a fantastic Senator & McCain-Feingold was a great achievement.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: March 21, 2017, 02:20:34 pm »
Ignore

Feingold actually won many rural counties which Hilary lost & surprisingly didn't have the same numbers as Hillary had in some urban counties (that's what I read - Not Sure !). Hillary didn't do 1 rally for him to unite her base for her. Wisconsin has a massive GOP infra build by Walker, Ryan & the Kochs.

Feingold lead throughout the race comfortably & that loss was a shocker. It is fair to blame him too, (he did loose twice to Johnson) maybe he didn't run a good campaign, couldn't connect emotionally with local issues.

Dems lost WI for the 1st time in 30 odd years & with any other Dem candidate & Feingold would probably be in the Senate. He was a fantastic Senator & McCain-Feingold was a great achievement.
He lost by a larger margin than her, it was his fault, not hers.  He might have been dragged across the line by others, but by less than 10000 votes.

Kantakouzenos

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 21, 2017, 04:18:03 pm »
Ignore

Is there an official explanation for why the people who voted to drain the swamp and stop free trade also largely voted to elect a pro-trade swamp creature back to office over someone who opposed free trade and never missed a senate vote in his entire career?  The results of that race really confused me. 
Deputy Chair Spenstar
Spenstar3D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 21, 2017, 04:34:21 pm »
Ignore

Is there an official explanation for why the people who voted to drain the swamp and stop free trade also largely voted to elect a pro-trade swamp creature back to office over someone who opposed free trade and never missed a senate vote in his entire career?  The results of that race really confused me. 

It's because the DSCC never gave Feingold the resources he needed to define himself, so a ton of outside money for Johnson defined the terms of the race. Couple that with the perfect storm of Trump winning there, and there we go.

McGovernForPrez
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 21, 2017, 04:38:42 pm »
Ignore

He lost by a larger margin than her, it was his fault, not hers.  He might have been dragged across the line by others, but by less than 10000 votes.
The only reason Hillary outperformed Russ Feingold had to do with Trump's coattails in the traditionally Democratic regions in Wisconsin, versus Hillary's strength in traditionally republican suburbs. Trump had coattails in parts of the state that Feingold needed to win. Hillary performed much much worse in the traditionally Democratic parts of the region to Feingold but her Suburbanite strategy let her make up some of that gap. The problem with that strategy is it totally screwed down ballot candidates, as most of those voters were still gonna vote for their republican Senator. Hillary knew this when she engaged in this strategy, her hubris was massive.
rbk
CrabCake
YaBB God
Kiribati

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 21, 2017, 04:42:37 pm »
Ignore

Hillary Republicans that didn't want the crude Trump in office had no reason not to vote for the same GOP drones they always did through the Obama; and the large burst of relatively low-info Trump voters that showed up had no reason to vote for any Democrat, due to the lack of targeting by the national campaign. It would be silly to cast Russ as blameless, but he was screwed over by a national environment that cast Democrats against the schtick that he had historically relied on.

]
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

Political Matrix
E: 3.29, S: -1.30

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 21, 2017, 07:12:14 pm »
Ignore

Somehow a Quist v. Gianforte thread has turned into a Feingold discussion for some reason?
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 22, 2017, 09:39:21 pm »
Ignore

You're mad about the money they wasted in FL and NC? What about all the money Schumer pissed away on his own Safe D race in New York?

Anyway, on topic, Republicans could probably dig up some serious dirt on Amanda Curtis. Dems would be smart to look elsewhere. She has some past ties to a communist revolutionary group that weren't really discussed during her 2014 Senate run due to her massive polling deficit against Steve Daines.

Say NO to mediocrity!
#FireGarPax
Hindsight is 2020
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #390 on: March 22, 2017, 09:47:41 pm »
Ignore

You're mad about the money they wasted in FL and NC? What about all the money Schumer pissed away on his own Safe D race in New York?

Anyway, on topic, Republicans could probably dig up some serious dirt on Amanda Curtis. Dems would be smart to look elsewhere. She has some past ties to a communist revolutionary group that weren't really discussed during her 2014 Senate run due to her massive polling deficit against Steve Daines.
Huh Quist is the nom not Curtis
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 22, 2017, 09:49:25 pm »
Ignore

There's also the over a  million dollars the DSCC spent in the Pennsylvania primary against the only 3 star vet ever in congress and then lost the general election with their candidate.

PNM
Mizzouian
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 22, 2017, 10:24:29 pm »
Ignore

Yeah, something tells me that Sestak probably would've won had he been the nominee and if he was as well-funded as McGinty.
AndrewCA🌹
wolfentoad66
YaBB God
Mauritius
View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 23, 2017, 12:06:23 am »
Ignore

Yeah, something tells me that Sestak probably would've won had he been the nominee and if he was as well-funded as McGinty.

Nah. Sestak would've lost, just like the other retreads ran by the Democrats last year. Fetterman was the only candidate in the race who would've defeated Toomey, IMO.
Maxwell
mah519
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -6.96

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 23, 2017, 12:30:35 am »
Ignore

This is not a Pennsylvania thread.

That being said, Sestak was pretty much a trainwreck in his 2016 campaign and McGinty did much better than I expected her to (running even with Clinton and doing much better in rural PA). Sestak would've 100% done worse.

Quist has received the Our Revolution endorsement.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 12:42:32 am by Maxwell »Logged

arjavrawal
United States

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 23, 2017, 12:39:24 am »
Ignore

Why are we talking about Joe Sestak, Katie McGinty, and Russ Feingold -- neither of whom have run for office in Montana?

That being said, I think Quist can win given the right resources -- hell, we can take 435 seats if they're all given the right resources. Problem is that D-Trip sucks at right resources.
arjavrawal
United States

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 23, 2017, 12:42:11 am »
Ignore

Why are we talking about Joe Sestak, Katie McGinty, and Russ Feingold -- neither of whom have run for office in Montana?

That being said, I think Quist can win given the right resources -- hell, we can take 435 seats if they're all given the right resources. Problem is that D-Trip sucks at right resources.
warandwar
United States

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 23, 2017, 12:45:48 am »
Ignore

Huh Quist is the nom not Curtis

Also the IWW isn't communist.

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
sjkqw
YaBB God
Italy

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 23, 2017, 02:09:47 pm »
Ignore

This is not a Pennsylvania thread.

That being said, Sestak was pretty much a trainwreck in his 2016 campaign and McGinty did much better than I expected her to (running even with Clinton and doing much better in rural PA). Sestak would've 100% done worse.

Quist has received the Our Revolution endorsement.

This is absolutely not true. Literally no one likes McGinty. She was pushed by the state party upon us as the obvious worst of three candidates. Anyone would have done better.

20:58   Santander   our inside is almost as beautiful as barron trump's outside
20:41   Classic   I think we need to abort any babies with autism so we won't end up with more people like smilo in our society.

I LOVE THE BUFFALOES!!! Oh my gosh! No more coal! SOLAR future!

How is that tasteless? It's art!
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 23, 2017, 02:13:52 pm »
Ignore

Well, since this is a PA thread now... I must say I was unimpressed with Toomey's showing on election day. I know he was outspent by a lot, but in the past, Republican Senators running for reelection in PA have always outperformed their party's presidential nominee by a lot. McGinty was an awful candidate, but I guess polarization is much more important than candidate quality in swing and blue states. Still, someone like Fetterman probably would have won. Missed opportunity by Ds.

Even if you don't agree with the women stuff, it's really hard to argue that NH is still a competitive swing state. And after 2016 (when Kelly Ayotte and Donald Trump lose the state, despite a very close presidential race and Republicans holding the Senate), this will become clear to you as well, Kingpoleon.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout