Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2017, 06:07:14 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Be sure to enable your "Ultimate Profile" for even more goodies on your profile page!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, Virginia)
| | |-+  MT-AL: Rob Quist (D) vs. Greg Gianforte (R) vs. Mark Wicks (L), May 25
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 124 Print
Author Topic: MT-AL: Rob Quist (D) vs. Greg Gianforte (R) vs. Mark Wicks (L), May 25  (Read 94702 times)
Spenstar
Spenstar3D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 19, 2017, 01:15:04 pm »
Ignore

I'd be really surprised if the DCCC didn't get in here soon as well.
I think you severely underestimate the stupidity of our national party. There were multiple Texas districts that Hillary won where we didn't even field a candidate. If there's anything I have faith in it's they're ability to completely screw up our congressional power.
But Montana is rural so we can never win despite the fact we have the perfect match-up no GA-6 needs all our resources because district trending an suburban an stuff like that 

I mean, there's nothing wrong with investing in GA-6; we should be competing in both districts.  That said, I obviously agree that it is ridiculous to ignore a seat like the open one in MT.  Fortunately, I expect the Democrats to jump in there soon enough, but a strong DCCC would've already had this on their radar.  That said, I can't stress enough how much worse it would've been with Sean Patrick Baloney as chair instead of Lujan.  The former has argued that you can use data metrics to successfully predict how every house seat will vote without fail months before the election and that the DCCC should be more reliant on a #Data is King strategy.  Maloney is a good fit for his district and I don't really mind him or anything, but he'd have been an absolute disaster as DCCC chairman.  

I don't disagree with any of your points, in fact I agree that the "data is king" approach was pretty discredited last year and we can't write off anything, but it still kind of stings every time my congressman gets dragged through the mud Tongue

If Lujan is still a bit of a downer though, who do you think would have been the best possible DCCC chair?

Senate Endorsements:
Ohio: My boy Sherrod
Alabama: Doug Jones
Arizona: Mark Kelly or Kristen Synema
....everybody else who you'd expect a D-NY to endorse
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 19, 2017, 07:49:55 pm »
Ignore

I'd be really surprised if the DCCC didn't get in here soon as well.
I think you severely underestimate the stupidity of our national party. There were multiple Texas districts that Hillary won where we didn't even field a candidate. If there's anything I have faith in it's they're ability to completely screw up our congressional power.
But Montana is rural so we can never win despite the fact we have the perfect match-up no GA-6 needs all our resources because district trending an suburban an stuff like that 

Rahm Emanuel may've been an awful, third-way corporatist with no understanding of why a 50 state strategy is so vital, but the man was also a pretty dam* competent DCCC chair (much as I hate to admit it) who understood that data metrics weren't the only factor that should be considered when deciding where to compete.  I'd have preferred to see Lujan replaced with someone who excelled in the two areas where Emanuel made his greatest contribution to Democratic efforts to take back the House in 2006: candidate recruitment and being ruthlessly aggressive about seizing every opportunity to expand the playing field.  Overall, House Democrats have had absolutely awful candidate recruitment.  It is embarrassing that Jay Sidie (KS-3), LuAnn Bennett (VA-10 where a strong candidate clearly would've won in 2016), Mike Parrish (PA-6), Shaun Brown (VA-2), Michael Wager (OH-14), Michael Eggman (CA-10 where once again, a solid recruit clearly would've won in 2016), Emilio Huerta (CA-21), Scott Fuhrman (FL-27), Joe Garcia (FL-26 although Annette Taddeo wasn't a strong candidate either), etc, etc, etc were the folks we ended up nominating in their respective districts. 

And then you have folks who were either obviously a terrible fit for their districts (ex: Emily Cain) or blew winnable races by running horrible campaigns (ex: Monica Vernon).  The DCCC has also constantly knee-capped their efforts to retake the house by ignoring opportunities to compete in Republican leaning districts and even moderate/Democratic-leaning seats with popular/entrenched incumbents.  Democrats won't win back the House unless they can put a massive number of seats on the board.  Recruiting top-tier candidates such a small number of districts that the Democrats need to essentially run the board to have a shot at a narrow majority is a surefire way to keep the House in Republican hands.

I agree completely. Plus, running retreads doesn't often work; Doug Owens in UT-04 can tell you that.
Alpha
etr906
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 20, 2017, 08:29:53 am »
Ignore

I'm guessing that this quote is probably pretty representative of their attitude. Which is deeply disappointing, to say the least.

"None of the five contests pose a threat to the Republicans’ majority in the House. Four of the five seats have been under GOP control, and save for Georgia and to a lesser extent, Montana, they’re all but guaranteed to remain red districts in 2017 and beyond.

“It’s not like we lost these districts by 5 points last time,” one Democratic strategist said of Georgia’s 6th District and Montana’s at-large House seat."

Whatever happened to the 50-state strategy? I don't care if they're "unwinnable", you should be putting time into every single race, even ones that you know you're not going to win. And MT-AL and GA-6 are both winnable.

NSDAP-Member NeverAgain
NeverAgain
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 20, 2017, 10:26:58 am »
Ignore

Shocker, Democratic "Strategists" don't want money going out of their pockets to competitive elections. This may explain why MILLIONS were given to strategists, while the NH State Party, which included competitive Presidential, Senatorial, Congressional, Gubernatorial, AND state legislative elections, were given only $75,000.

Thankfully, actual leadership under Perez will help end the cronyism of the Democratic Party (not sarcastic or ironic).
Devout Centrist
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.45, S: -10.00

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 20, 2017, 11:08:11 am »
Ignore

Honestly I think Quist could pull this off without outside help. What'll make a difference is turnout.

Still, I think Gianforte is favored at this point, unless the race changes.

You are so partial that your opinion is worth little.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 20, 2017, 01:51:37 pm »
Ignore

Honestly I think Quist could pull this off without outside help.

This, so much.

Also, Gianforte has launched his second ad.

2018 "Endorsements":

MT-SEN: Matt Rosendale (R)
MO-SEN: Josh Hawley (R)
WV-SEN: Evan Jenkins (R)
NH-GOV: Stefany Shaheen (D)
NH-01: Carol Shea-Porter (D)
NH-02: Annie Kuster (D)

Wulfric seems to just LOVE Tester.
Titanium D Mississippi
The walrus
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 20, 2017, 03:05:14 pm »
Ignore

It's my impression that Gianforte spent a ton in the 2016 MT-GOV race, so won't his ads be much less effective because Montana has seen so much of him so recently?

If you support any of NEOS,D66,FDP,Lib Dems, or En Marche, fite me irl

Endorsement list:
Illinois Governor: Daniel Biss
Texas Senator: Beto O'Rourke
Ohio Senator: Sherrod Brown
Ohio Governor: Richard Cordray (tentative)
Vermont Senator: Bernie Sanders

IceAgeComing 5:26 PM
he's Bob Dole!
its obvious

GODRAY/MEMEGOLD 2020

Wulfric is a great guy whose endorsements matter
Shameless Bernie Hack
Chickenhawk
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 20, 2017, 03:09:58 pm »
Ignore

It's my impression that Gianforte spent a ton in the 2016 MT-GOV race, so won't his ads be much less effective because Montana has seen so much of him so recently?

So much so that it appears that he was only briefly off the air (if at all) before announcing for the House seat.

People never learn their lessons about saturation, it seems.

This, so much.

I agree, and I think that to a certain extent it's beneficial to keep the race between a New Jersey-ite tech billionaire and the front man of the Mission Mountain Wood Band from being nationalized.

But it's also so dispiriting to see a winnable race get ignored by the DCCC (so far) because it doesn't fit their idea of a 'winnable race' (aka, in the moderate suburbs outside a major metro).

Why weep or slumber, America?

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." ~Sen Barry Goldwater
Spenstar
Spenstar3D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 20, 2017, 03:17:33 pm »
Ignore

Has a date for the election been set?

Senate Endorsements:
Tintrlvr
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 20, 2017, 03:19:27 pm »
Ignore

Has a date for the election been set?

May 25.
anthony1691
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: March 20, 2017, 06:17:03 pm »
Ignore

I decided to run a GCS for this race as well and I got results in between Castro's and Cinyc's. They were,

Rob Quist - 48.4%
Greg Gianforte - 40.5%
Mark Wicks - 11.1%

I left out an "I won't be voting" option to maximize the amount of responses, so take this with an (extra) grain of salt. Here is the link to the actual survey.
Ronnie
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 20, 2017, 06:31:08 pm »
Ignore

Fascinating.  Thank you, anthony!

Man, I'm tempted to donate a few bucks to Quist.  The investment might well be worth it.

EDIT: Put my money where my mouth was.  Let's hope it pays off!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:35:11 pm by Ronnie »Logged

Born, raised, and currently residing in Southern California
Shameless Bernie Hack
Chickenhawk
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 20, 2017, 06:37:19 pm »
Ignore

Fascinating.  Thank you, anthony!

Man, I'm tempted to donate a few bucks to Quist.  The investment might well be worth it.

EDIT: Put my money where my mouth was.  Let's hope it pays off!

Yeah, I actually have a weird amount of emotional investment in the race.

Why weep or slumber, America?

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." ~Sen Barry Goldwater
Devout Centrist
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.45, S: -10.00

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 20, 2017, 06:59:50 pm »
Ignore

This, so much.

Also, Gianforte has launched his second ad.
Fairly boilerplate positions, I'm not sure why he emphasized protectionism at the end. Is that a major issue in Montana?

You are so partial that your opinion is worth little.
Tintrlvr
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 20, 2017, 07:49:58 pm »
Ignore

I decided to run a GCS for this race as well and I got results in between Castro's and Cinyc's. They were,

Rob Quist - 48.4%
Greg Gianforte - 40.5%
Mark Wicks - 11.1%

I left out an "I won't be voting" option to maximize the amount of responses, so take this with an (extra) grain of salt. Here is the link to the actual survey.

It's definitely heartening that all three polls so far show Quist in the lead.
Alpha
etr906
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 20, 2017, 07:57:27 pm »
Ignore

I want Quist to win not only because he could be a great populist, but because I wanna see Gianforte get his young-Earth Creationist ass kicked to the curb.

cinyc
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 20, 2017, 08:00:00 pm »
Ignore

Rob Quist - 48.4%
Greg Gianforte - 40.5%
Mark Wicks - 11.1%

Thanks.

Simple weighted to the 2014 November CPS actual voter percentages by age and sex, it's also Quist +8, 49/41/9.  I don't heart decimals.

The regional divide is there, but not as strong as in other polls.  Quist wins Western Montana by 14 (weighted), and loses Eastern Montana by 6 (weighted).  Western Montana was overrepresented in this poll, making up 78% of respondents versus the 59 or 60% they usually are.  The other two polls also overpolled Western Montana, but not by nearly this much.  If you re-weight the weighted regional results, you get Quist+6 statewide.

Agewise, Quist won every group except 35-44s and age unknowns.  Among men, the race is tied.  Quist has a 23 point lead among women.  Note: these results are unweighted.

Weighting spreadsheet here.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 08:13:17 pm by cinyc »Logged
Al Franken 2020
MAINEiac4434
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -8.09, S: -4.61

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 20, 2017, 08:48:08 pm »
Ignore

I want Quist to win not only because he could be a great populist, but because I wanna see Gianforte get his young-Earth Creationist ass kicked to the curb.
He's a young earth creationist? Man screw this guy.

Shadows
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 21, 2017, 03:55:46 am »
Ignore

Our Revolution endorses Rob Quist (& James Thompson) for Congress. Loads of money coming from Bernie's email list.

MT-AL is a winnable seat with a good candidate who can hold a possibly red seat for many number of years. Dems should go all out for this & GA. I remember when Dems kept delaying & cancelling ad buys for Feingold when they though he was too strong/wouldn't need (& spend Millions in Florida wasted on a poor Murphy in an expensive market where Rubio was leading consistently & comfortably). This was while Hillary didn't do a single rally for Russ & Russ was getting slaughtered in TV ads from the Koch Brothers, NRA & other groups.

What is the use of raising 1.4B $ if you can't use it properly. And money is needed not just for ads but for a good ground team. Ray Buckley, NH Chair said if 10% of Hillary's TV money in attack ads were given to party chairs for door to door canvassing, volunteer teams etc - They would do much better !

Spenstar
Spenstar3D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 21, 2017, 09:28:37 am »
Ignore

Our Revolution endorses Rob Quist (& James Thompson) for Congress. Loads of money coming from Bernie's email list.

MT-AL is a winnable seat with a good candidate who can hold a possibly red seat for many number of years. Dems should go all out for this & GA. I remember when Dems kept delaying & cancelling ad buys for Feingold when they though he was too strong/wouldn't need (& spend Millions in Florida wasted on a poor Murphy in an expensive market where Rubio was leading consistently & comfortably). This was while Hillary didn't do a single rally for Russ & Russ was getting slaughtered in TV ads from the Koch Brothers, NRA & other groups.

This is the saddest, most frustrating, most infuriating thing on this forum. I miss Russ Feingold so much

Senate Endorsements:
McGovernForPrez
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 21, 2017, 09:49:47 am »
Ignore

This is the saddest, most frustrating, most infuriating thing on this forum. I miss Russ Feingold so much
Russ was the man. It's so sad he failed. The man behind one of the better campaign finance reform acts defeated by Ron ing Johnson.

Endorsements:
2020 President: Steve Bullock, Bernie Sanders, Sherrod Brown
MA Governor: Robert Massey (D), Charlie Baker (R)
Boston Mayor: Tito Jackson
VA Governor: Ralph Northam
MA-07 Primary: Mike Capuano
Spenstar
Spenstar3D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 21, 2017, 09:53:39 am »
Ignore

Russ was the man. It's so sad he failed. The man behind one of the better campaign finance reform acts defeated by Ron ing Johnson.

If the DSCC put some money into his race instead of Florida or NC then he'd probably have won, and we'd be in that much better a position. I'm worried we might not have a Senator as great as him for a while, and because of the DSCC's stupidity his name is now too toxic for a Gubernatorial run

Senate Endorsements:
McGovernForPrez
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 21, 2017, 10:50:25 am »
Ignore

If the DSCC put some money into his race instead of Florida or NC then he'd probably have won, and we'd be in that much better a position. I'm worried we might not have a Senator as great as him for a while, and because of the DSCC's stupidity his name is now too toxic for a Gubernatorial run
It's like they don't live in the real world. You would've hoped that the Trump presidency would be a wake up call for these people but I'm convinced most of them are too politically inept to do anything about it.

Endorsements:
2020 President: Steve Bullock, Bernie Sanders, Sherrod Brown
MA Governor: Robert Massey (D), Charlie Baker (R)
Boston Mayor: Tito Jackson
VA Governor: Ralph Northam
MA-07 Primary: Mike Capuano
Spenstar
Spenstar3D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 21, 2017, 11:23:15 am »
Ignore

It's like they don't live in the real world. You would've hoped that the Trump presidency would be a wake up call for these people but I'm convinced most of them are too politically inept to do anything about it.

To be blunt the only thing keeping me a Democrat is my unhealthy optimism. I believe the party can do better than this, even if we're not seeing it right now.

Even if they did learn their lesson now tho it would be too late for Russ Sad

Senate Endorsements:
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: March 21, 2017, 01:37:02 pm »
Ignore

Nah, he lost again to Johnson, he can go suck it.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 124 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout