MT-AL: Rob Quist (D) vs. Greg Gianforte (R) vs. Mark Wicks (L), May 25
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:28:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MT-AL: Rob Quist (D) vs. Greg Gianforte (R) vs. Mark Wicks (L), May 25
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 119
Author Topic: MT-AL: Rob Quist (D) vs. Greg Gianforte (R) vs. Mark Wicks (L), May 25  (Read 231801 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1975 on: May 25, 2017, 11:51:02 AM »

I'm not sure how Jeff Roe could possibly know this, but he says:

Jeff Roe‏ @jeffroe  18m18 minutes ago
#MTAL 65% of votes are in and it looks to be about 50%'ish @RobQuistforMT 40%'ish @GregForMontana and 10% indie or no vote history to tell.

Jeff Roe‏ @jeffroe  13m13 minutes ago
#MTAL means roughly @GregForMontana needs to get around 58% of Election Day vote to win. Assuming 400K total votes. 259K are already cast.

Jeff Roe‏ @jeffroe  12m12 minutes ago
#MTAL roughly 8,801 or 6.3% of Election Day voters have to flip (no pun) to Quist. Not vote indie or just not vote but vote Quist.

Jeff Roe‏ @jeffroe  3m3 minutes ago
#MTAL in other words 17,601 @GregForMontana voters need to NOT go vote in order to elect @RobQuistforMT

Wicks did not get 10% of the early vote, sorry.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1976 on: May 25, 2017, 11:51:06 AM »

thanks a lot, MT!

since i am greedy....is MT "small" enough that all counties are necessary or...which one are the biggues?

You mean whether all counties are important? Well, it depends on how close the race is. Gianforte obviously needs high turnout and margins in the rural areas (especially in the East), but he also needs to win Yellowstone County (Billings), Flathead County (Kalispell) and Ravalli County by a lot.
Quist needs to run up the margins in Missoula, Silver Bow and Gallatin.

But yeah, if it is within 2 points or so, "every county matters" Wink. And as was mentioned before, Lake County is usually a good bellwether.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1977 on: May 25, 2017, 11:54:45 AM »

Thanks, VM and MT - learning a new thing each day.

well....so many middle-sized counties, that this is really all about republican turnout, democrats have no chance in hell to "turnout" their out of this.

Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1978 on: May 25, 2017, 11:55:19 AM »

Why would Paul Ryan turn his back on Gianforte? He refused to do that publicly after Trump's tape bragging about sexual assaults. Both Handel & Gianforte are firm yes votes for Ryan & Trumpcare, that is why CFL is running so many ads & are spending so much money there !

Paul Ryan is getting a strong ally, he knows this will die down after a while !

I agree with Shadows here. If he wouldn't call out Trump's tape, why would he call out Gianforte's?

ryan DID call out trump's tape.

at that point he proclaimed, he wouldn't defend him anymore and every republican was on his own re: this question.

Ryan called Trump a racist after the Mexican judge comment on Trump University but after the sexual assault bragging tape, only said I won't defend him. That is it.

He is doing the same with Greg, 1 line of mild criticism & then is moving on. Kasich votes for McCain, Ayotte (who is Trump's stooge now) voted for Pence, McCain de-endorsed him, Collins never endorsed him. So these people were so-called independent voices, not Ryan !
Angrie

« Reply #1979 on: May 25, 2017, 11:56:47 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He is obviously going off of something in the voter file, some sort of modeling either specifically for this race or else for just some measure/estimate of generic partisanship. You can see this because he says "no vote history to tell," implying that he is inferring preferences for the other people based on things like vote history.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #1980 on: May 25, 2017, 11:57:52 AM »

I'm not sure how Jeff Roe could possibly know this, but he says:

Jeff Roe‏ @jeffroe  18m18 minutes ago
#MTAL 65% of votes are in and it looks to be about 50%'ish @RobQuistforMT 40%'ish @GregForMontana and 10% indie or no vote history to tell.

Jeff Roe‏ @jeffroe  13m13 minutes ago
#MTAL means roughly @GregForMontana needs to get around 58% of Election Day vote to win. Assuming 400K total votes. 259K are already cast.

Jeff Roe‏ @jeffroe  12m12 minutes ago
#MTAL roughly 8,801 or 6.3% of Election Day voters have to flip (no pun) to Quist. Not vote indie or just not vote but vote Quist.

Jeff Roe‏ @jeffroe  3m3 minutes ago
#MTAL in other words 17,601 @GregForMontana voters need to NOT go vote in order to elect @RobQuistforMT

Wicks did not get 10% of the early vote, sorry.
Early vote leans Dem, we already knew this. That final 10% didn't necessarily vote for Wicks. It just means they didn't have enough history to know who they voted for. If Quist was ahead by 10 in the early vote that probably suggested a really close race any, even without the slamgate.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1981 on: May 25, 2017, 12:01:30 PM »

Just when you think you've seen everything...

ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1982 on: May 25, 2017, 12:03:04 PM »

From "lifezette", Laura Ingraham's site:

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/867784005755842560

why did anyone take ingraham seriously in the first place?
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #1983 on: May 25, 2017, 12:05:20 PM »

Fivethirtyeight saw our polls https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/montanas-special-election-could-give-the-gop-another-reason-to-fret/

We've been acknowledged!!!!
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1984 on: May 25, 2017, 12:07:15 PM »

notice me senpai!
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1985 on: May 25, 2017, 12:09:53 PM »

Daines:

Greg Gianforte needs to apologize.
https://twitter.com/SteveDaines/status/867776315742703618
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1986 on: May 25, 2017, 12:11:03 PM »

From "lifezette", Laura Ingraham's site:

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/867784005755842560

why did anyone take ingraham seriously in the first place?

Fox trying to help choke slam man win.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #1987 on: May 25, 2017, 12:13:18 PM »

Guys, wouldn't it be cool to watch a tag team wrestling match between Gianforte and Trump, vs Quist and Bullock. I think I'd die.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1988 on: May 25, 2017, 12:16:35 PM »

Nate Silver and Harry Enten probably sh!tpost on here.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1989 on: May 25, 2017, 12:17:09 PM »

thanks a lot, MT!

since i am greedy....is MT "small" enough that all counties are necessary or...which one are the biggues?

https://www.montana-demographics.com/counties_by_population Yellowstone, Missoula, Gallatin are the largest by population. Most counties are big but the whole state is fairly rural and spreadout so county-wise it wouldn't make that much of a difference https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_counties_in_Montana

Lake County has a history of closely tracking statewide results despite not being that demographically representative of the state (large Native American minority).
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1990 on: May 25, 2017, 12:20:36 PM »

Just shoved a phone in front of a bunch of senators asking about health care with more to come. I'm Johnny Knoxville and this is Jackass.
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/867790126176403456

xD
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1991 on: May 25, 2017, 12:24:26 PM »

Yeah, this is all about reducing Gianforte's margin on election day now for Quist. But it is worth pointing out that just because this pattern occurred in past elections, that doesn't mean things can't get odd this time around. For example, in 2016 Gianforte took a 2000-vote lead or so with 85%-90% of precincts reporting, and at that point I thought that he had a good chance of winning due to the usual reporting pattern being replicated. And what happened? The last 10-15% came in, and Bullock actually took the lead and won by 4 in the end. (This didn't happen in the 2006 and 2012 Senate race, btw). So while it is true that the early returns/the first big vote dump almost always favor Democrats (like I said, Bullock was up 13 points with 30% of the vote in in 2016), last year the last returns were very Democratic-friendly as well. Maybe this was just a one-time thing, who knows.

Just watch the county by county results and don't overreact to early returns. Smiley It's probably the best to wait until at least 70% of the vote is in (if not more than that) before making a projection, even if it "looks" like there is a winner early on.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1992 on: May 25, 2017, 12:27:27 PM »

Guys, wouldn't it be cool to watch a tag team wrestling match between Gianforte and Trump, vs Quist and Bullock. I think I'd die.

I'd prefer Tester and Fox vs. Zinke and Gianforte. Wink
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1993 on: May 25, 2017, 12:33:26 PM »

It's approaching noon in mt, what percentage of voters have already voted would you guys say? 80%?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1994 on: May 25, 2017, 12:42:24 PM »

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1995 on: May 25, 2017, 12:44:33 PM »

Yeah, this is all about reducing Gianforte's margin on election day now for Quist. But it is worth pointing out that just because this pattern occurred in past elections, that doesn't mean things can't get odd this time around. For example, in 2016 Gianforte took a 2000-vote lead or so with 85%-90% of precincts reporting, and at that point I thought that he had a good chance of winning due to the usual reporting pattern being replicated. And what happened? The last 10-15% came in, and Bullock actually took the lead and won by 4 in the end. (This didn't happen in the 2006 and 2012 Senate race, btw). So while it is true that the early returns/the first big vote dump almost always favor Democrats (like I said, Bullock was up 13 points with 30% of the vote in in 2016), last year the last returns were very Democratic-friendly as well. Maybe this was just a one-time thing, who knows.

Just watch the county by county results and don't overreact to early returns. Smiley It's probably the best to wait until at least 70% of the vote is in (if not more than that) before making a projection, even if it "looks" like there is a winner early on.

I will not make a projection, regardless of who leads, until we have sufficient returns from Yellowstone, Flathead, Lewis and Clark, and Missoula to know with confidence the final margins in those key counties.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1996 on: May 25, 2017, 12:47:42 PM »

Well, some people might stay level-headed and keep in mind how unrepresentative early returns can be, but we all know how much of Atlas will react later tonight. Wink

If Quist is ahead by more than 10%: OMG! Quistslide here we come! Bye-bye, Crazy Greg!

If Gianforte ever takes the lead: OMG! Quist is done!
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1997 on: May 25, 2017, 12:51:15 PM »

Well, some people might stay level-headed and keep in mind how unrepresentative early returns can be, but we all know how much of Atlas will react later tonight. Wink

If Quist is ahead by more than 10%: OMG! Quistslide here we come! Bye-bye, Crazy Greg!

If Gianforte ever takes the lead: OMG! Quist is done!

The correct term is Violent Greg. Tongue
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1998 on: May 25, 2017, 12:59:50 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2017, 01:01:55 PM by Tintrlvr »

Ha. I have met Harry Enten personally (he dated a friend of mine for a while). Not creative enough to be krazen.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1999 on: May 25, 2017, 01:07:34 PM »

Ha. I have met Harry Enten personally (he dated a friend of mine for a while). Not creative enough to be krazen.

I too have met Enten. He's pretty milquetoast. And kind of a snob.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 119  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies