Would McCain 2000 have won Tennessee, Arkansas, and West Virginia?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:26:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Would McCain 2000 have won Tennessee, Arkansas, and West Virginia?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would McCain 2000 have won Tennessee, Arkansas, and West Virginia?  (Read 835 times)
mencken
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2016, 05:53:02 PM »

Color me skeptical
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 06:01:17 PM »

No, but he probably would've won New Mexico, Oregon, Iowa, and Maine to make up for it
mencken
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 06:15:35 PM »

No, but he probably would've won New Mexico, Oregon, Iowa, and Maine to make up for it

Even with his anti-ethanol stance?
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 11:08:14 PM »

Considering Bob Dole only lost Tennessee by two points, I don't see why McCain couldn't carry it. I'm less sure about the other two...
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 12:51:40 PM »

Considering Bob Dole only lost Tennessee by two points, I don't see why McCain couldn't carry it. I'm less sure about the other two...

Well, Al Gore was from TN, obviously, and I think Bush was a better fit for the state than McCain, especially in 2000.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 01:19:05 PM »

Well, Al Gore was from TN, obviously, and I think Bush was a better fit for the state than McCain, especially in 2000.

Unless McCain wins the nomination and then selects George W. Bush to be his running mate in order to please the evangelical voters and born-again christians, thus helping McCain to win Tennessee.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 04:42:35 PM »

I wonder how Alan Keyes would have fared as the Republican candidate in this region.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 12:02:37 PM »

Gore was on the ballot in '96...I'm just saying the state became very Republican in the 90's. McCain wasn't as good a fit as Bush, but I still think he could've won it.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 05:47:11 PM »

I could actually see him more likely to win Tennessee then West Virginia. The fallout against Gore in West Virginia I think was mainly due to his environmental policy which would remain unchanged with McCain as the GOP nominee while at the same time McCain would have a considerable loss of religious right support due to his denunciation of Falwell. I think it'd look something like this:

[1]

Gore-Kerry      320 [2]
McCain-Engler218

[1] Given that Iowa is relatively close some may wonder why I thought to keep it in the Gore column. My thinking is that because McCain suffers a loss in terms of religious right support Iowa is exactly the type of state you'd see these voters defecting from his column.

[2] In this timeline Lieberman declines Gore's offer of VP and instead endorses his BFF McCain. Gore picks Kerry as his running mate in an effort to counteract McCain's war hero cred. This backfires when Gore surrogate Donald Trump while introducing the Vice-President at an event  ostensibly devoted to the Gore-Kerry ticket's tax plan praises Kerry as a real war hero in contrast to McCain who in his words was a "loser who got captured." In the coming years Trump joins a pantheon of other favorite conservative punching bags including Jane Fonda and Michael Moore and a popular conservative chain email referring to "Hanoi Don" circulates the web. Due to mass right-wing boycott pressure NBC is later forced to cancel The Apprentice midway through the first season.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies